Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

The New Wembley

Ok this post isn''t really Norwich related, but I am interested on the views on the new wembley.  I am sure quite a few of you have visited for one reason or another.  I had my first visit today for the League Two Playoff final and was quite impressed with the stadium as a whole, but there were only 35,000 at the game so diifcult to imagine how it would look full, but great pitch and good atmosphere meant I enjoyed the day.  I did however think that 46.00 was over the top for this game.  I suspect Wembley has its own pricing no matter what the game is, but they could have had a lot more fans in if they lowered the prices.  Anyway all comments welcome.

like you, i dont know what its like full. when i went their was 19,000 (FA Vase Final) But it is a good stadium and i like the walk from wembley park to wembley stadium.. looks very good

I too went to the FA vase match. Great stadium and good day out. But one will only ever know how great it really is when one attends a match involving Norwich. To be there with a full house, playing for a cup or promotion when it''s the team you''ve followed all your life. The team you''re obsessed with. The team that you love. That must be awesome.

I went to the Brazil game, play.com live and the vase final. When the anthems were sung at Brazil the hairs on the back of my neck stood up even though it was a friendly. I''ve never seen such a sight at a football match and I probably won''t for a long, long time. I''ve got some pictures somewhere...

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Ok this post isn''t really Norwich related, but I am interested on the views on the new wembley.  I am sure quite a few of you have visited for one reason or another.  I had my first visit today for the League Two Playoff final and was quite impressed with the stadium as a whole, but there were only 35,000 at the game so diifcult to imagine how it would look full, but great pitch and good atmosphere meant I enjoyed the day.  I did however think that 46.00 was over the top for this game.  I suspect Wembley has its own pricing no matter what the game is, but they could have had a lot more fans in if they lowered the prices.  Anyway all comments welcome.[/quote]I went to the England V Croatia game. The ground is really nice and the atmosphere was very good but prices for food/drink/souveniers are outrageous. As for the location choice, london is a joke, the transport infrastructure is so rubbish that when we left the ground at about 10:00pm we did not arrive back at Nottingham until 5am. Thats 7 hours, 5 of which were spent in London.I''m a bit shocked at the cost of a league two playoff £46! my ticket to see England was only £4 more! How much of that £46 actually goes to the clubs I wonder? I''ll post some pictures of inside Wembly later.

i went to the torquay ebbsfleet game.was absolutely superb, 40000 people there.i was front row,smuggled bout 12 carlsberg in as well, sitting there in sunlight with a beer.stadium wise.abosultely amazing, never been to a ground like it, its very closed in, but the pitch is wide, 80,000+ people would really roar.

I''ve not been to a football match at the new wembley so cannot comment on that, but I went to Live Earth last year and the stadium and the facilities were awesome, especially when I remember the old one. I am looking forward to going next Friday to see the mighty Foo Fighters. Although, as others have mentioned, getting to Wembley and getting away afterwards is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

I also went to the England v Croatia game.

Atmosphere was like no other game I have been too.

We turned down the chance to eat when we saw the price of food. I think it was about £6 for a hot dog and £8 for a burger. We all went hungry. Ticket was £55, and as expensive as this may sound it is well worth going. Shame about the result. Croatian fans made a right racket with there chanting. Seemed very Intimidating even though we were the home team. Don''t really understand Croatian. Also didn''t like the booing from there fans as our our troops paraded round the pitch. Sorry a bit off topic.

All very interesting.  I would agree that Wembley Park is quite a long way from central london, but on the plus side the stadium is within easy reach of the tube station which is not usually the case with football grounds.  Yes prices are very high the programme cost 5.00 and a hot dog and drink 6.00.

So in terms of a comparsion how does it compare to Cardiff.  I am sure many of you went to that playoff game as I did and atmosphere was fantastic.  So how does a full Wembley compare?

Another point is should smaller games be played at Wembley.  The game I went to had only 35,000 which is only just over a third full.  Would it not be better to have these games somewhere like Arsenal.  Obviously the big games and championship playoff final should stay at Wembley.

been to the wemberly for most england games since it re-opened and to see shrewbury v bristol r last season and nfl game

i think it doesnt matter where you sit in the ground you always get a crackiong view

but......

i dont seem to get that WOW factor from the new wemberly from the old wemberly the only thing which gives me the WOW is when you see the arch lit up from a distance etc... but inside the game it seems to lack atmosphere in which millenium was much better for

I haven''t been to the new stadium for a footie game yet (going to the USA game) but i did go for the NFL game last year. The atmosphere was cracking even for that. On the downside the section i was in (way up in the roof) completely ran out of beer and any kind of food (possibly due to the many Americnas there!!) and it took about 30 mins to walk round to find a counter that did have some. It then cost me about the same amount of money for 4 beers and 4 hotdogs as it would to buy a flight to America!

is it true that the staff at Wembley confiscate any food and drink you buy outside the stadium?

jas :)

The (only?) positive thing about living in High Wycombe is the easy access to Wembley - I am lucky enough to have been to most of the England home games there (including the disasterous night against Croatia). I was sceptical about it as I loved the old Wembley - but actually it is awesome. With a full house, the atmosphere is excellent - would thoroughly recommend it. For those of you with transport issues, I sugest you try parking up at the train station in High Wycombe and getting the train direct to Wembley Staduim - 30 minutes journey, and for the return trip you queue in a lane designated for the Wycombe trains and within an hour of the game finishing you would be back at the car park at Wycombe station....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

is it true that the staff at Wembley confiscate any food and drink you buy outside the stadium?

[/quote]

Depends - if you are lucky you can get sandwiches etc in, but not drink - take plenty of cash if you want to buy something inside - it is incredibly expensive....

I went last year for the ''Shrewsbury vs Bristol Rovers'' league 2 play off final (Rovers won 3-1 in a fairly entertaining game for the record), I have to say its how you would expect, great views, great leg room (im 6 ft 2) and superbly designed...

However, the crowd was 60,000, with rovers bringing a cracking 40,000 with them but I think i would have to go with norwich to really judge it, because it just didnt seem the same, you werent as involved as you would be for your own team, so at the moment the ''Millenium stadium'' is far better

the tickets were £35 which wasnt too bad to be honest

[quote user="wycombe canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Depends - if you are lucky you can get sandwiches etc in, but not drink - take plenty of cash if you want to buy something inside - it is incredibly expensive....

[/quote]

I went for the Vase match and they made me pour all my drinks into clear plastic bear glasses, we got food in no problem.

Wembley walk is an incredible sight when full with people and is really awe inspiring when you get inside, but when walking round the outside there is a real lack of character. Apart from that and the ridiculous prices for everything it''s pretty good [Y]

Also went to the Vase match - and very disappointed. Apart from the arch the stadium could be any industrial shed. Overpriced and second rate food, expensive beer and long queues for the toilets. Even the seats look cheap. Where did all the money go?