Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

'Up Yours' Ipswich.. I believe we should!

Following on from the thread about ‘Success starved Norwich fans celebrate losing!’ what do we all really think about the club having plans to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1959 cup run? Many regular posters seemed to agree with the ‘scummer journo’s’ view that it would be laughable to celebrate failure and others just saw it as a losing semi-final like any others that should be left to rot in the record books. Is that really how City Fans feel or is it just that fans are becoming so anti everything that even the ‘59 cup run is now a target for their discontent at all things Norwich City.

I don’t remember the ‘59 cup run, my first game was an FA Cup game in 1967, but I was always aware of it and aware of the pride it brought to the club and the city. I make no secret that I would have loved to have seen that side play and to have been able to travel over the country with the fans believing and living the dream. These days we are rightly proud of our away support as we travel the country in greater numbers than most to follow our team but back in February 1959 there were over 20,000 city fans packed into White Hart Lane for that 5th round match against Spurs. Journalist John Bromley of the Daily Herald is quoted in ‘Canary Citizens’ as saying ‘Norwich were doing something the soccer world didn’t believe possible - they were beating the top clubs on merit. By sheer class and sustained power they were making the big boys look as insignificant as bottom-of-the-bill comedians.’ For those of you who like me are too young to remember click the link below, it’s worth a watch I promise even though it’s very nearly 50 years old. Watch out for the goal Bobby Brennan scored against Sheffield United - does a more recent Norwich Legend remind us of him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7NNiTJ5Vh4

I think we should celebrate the anniversary of that great cup run and am secure enough in my own beliefs not to let a tuppenny ha’penny scummer journo talk me out of it.

No, I just don''t see the point celebrating it. Its not that it wasn''t an achievement, just not enough to warrant a parade of sorts.

Just because Ipswich had an open top parade to celebrate winning something 30 years ago doesn''t mean we have to respond.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Following on from the thread about ‘Success starved Norwich fans celebrate losing!’ what do we all really think about the club having plans to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1959 cup run?  

[/quote]

Depends how they celebrate it, Nutty.If it''s a reception at City Hall, nice.  If it''s a lap of honour for those still with us before or at half-time at a home game, great.If it''s a £25 a head affair (£15 for kids), out of season, with music from the runners up of "Britain''s Got Talent" and the Lakenham school choir, then they can stick it up their backsides for all I care.Make sense?

Dont celebrate it. Yes it was a fantastic achievement but i find it embarrassing, 59 this n that, let it rest! I thought it was also laughable that the binners 30 yr FA cup win was celebrated t''other wk.

So a no for me.

Mister Chops wrote:

What I do find a bit crass is the need to celebrate our failures, however heroic...

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

If it''s a reception at City Hall, nice. 

[/quote]

Are you turning into 1st Wizard?

Please god not 2 of ''em [;)]

Mister Chops wrote:

What I do find a bit crass is the need to celebrate our failures, however heroic...

[quote user="Mister Chops"]If it''s a reception at City Hall, nice.  [/quote]

Are you turning into 1st Wizard?

Please god not 2 of ''em [;)]

[/quote]

Hubble bubble, toil and trouble...

Here comes Wizard, I''m his double...

Um, no I''m not.  I am merely saying that there are ways to celebrate their achievements without making it look like a half-baked excuse to raise more money to pay for some more fixed asset infrastructure.  As you might say - measures?  Not ''alf...

But where to stop?  It''ll soon be 25 years since the Milk Cup triumph, that''s 2010 taken care of.  2012 - the twentieth anniversary of our FA cup semi-final run against Sunderland... that Man U thread above, we could surely do something with that...

the twentieth anniversary of our FA cup semi-final run against Sunderland

[/quote]

Now you''re turning into Bly!!! [:''(]

Surely that ''59 cup run is a bigger milestone in our history than the subsequent semi-finals. The history of our club is deeper than just stats in a Rothmans Annual.

The mood of the fans at the moment, and our recent failures on the pitch, is why some join our rivals in mocking our achievements in the past. If the famous cup run had been 1955 instead of ''59 I reckon there would have been huge celebrations in 2005!

How many fans who went to City Hall after the play off defeat only find it embarrassing now because of where we are now. You all enjoyed it then [;)]

[/quote]

Surely that ''59 cup run is a bigger milestone in our history than the subsequent semi-finals. The history of our club is deeper than just stats in a Rothmans Annual.

[/quote]Indeed it is... and at the risk of turning into someone else, possibly Smudger, the history of our club should not be used to leverage income through poorly thought-through events.How would you celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 59ers, Nigel?  What event would you put on, and how would you see it working?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Indeed it is... and at the risk of turning into someone else, possibly Smudger, the history of our club should not be used to leverage income through poorly thought-through events.

How would you celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 59ers, Nigel?  What event would you put on, and how would you see it working?

[/quote]

I wasn''t aware any events had been planned, poorly thought-through or otherwise. If the club organised something like the last poorly thought-through event then they wouldn''t get any income from me. What was the last poorly thought-through event a celebration of anyway?

To be honest I don''t see a workable event to celebrate anything to do with our club anymore. The sky has just fallen in with the realisation we will never beat Man Utd again [:''(] Still, in 2011 we can celebrate the 5th anniversary of that great well thought-through worthy out campaign [:|]

I wasn''t aware any events had been planned, poorly thought-through or otherwise. If the club organised something like the last poorly thought-through event then they wouldn''t get any income from me. What was the last poorly thought-through event a celebration of anyway?

[/quote]

the Greatest Ever.. after which all events must surely pale into insignificance as how do you top the Greatest Ever event?

[quote]

To be honest I don''t see a workable event to celebrate anything to do with our club anymore. The sky has just fallen in with the realisation we will never beat Man Utd again [:''(]

[/quote]

Never say never, Nigel... after all, Man U are £764 million in debt, so the odds are next season they''ll have to sell all their players and the ground, and we should be able to beat their new team of free signings from Leyton Orient and Inverness Caley Thistle.  They really should have been more prudent.

Let''s be realistic.....How many of our current and past support - will actually be interested in the 59 event? There are possibly quite a few veteran members of our support who are still attending our matches - who would show an interest. But, there wouldn''t be sufficient numbers of interested support, to make an actual profit from the event....Would there?

I am sorry, I respect the history and memory from that year, but I personally just don''t think or see the actual benefit or financial reward because of a general present supporter apathy.

Unfortunately, that was then, and this is now.....[:(]

Melly Yelly, you''re absolutely right. The vast majority of supporters will not be too bothered about this event unless something extra is planned, such as a Dion & Hucks combined testimonial. With Iwan, Malky, Fox, Fleck etc, playing, they are still fresh in most supporters minds, and I''m sure would generate a good turnout.

No offence to the old boys in the City Stand, but this kind of celebration would be better off being held in a City Stand lounge, with a free cup of tea and a cake.

Yes it was an achievement to be the first 3rd division club to make the semi-finals and given that the FA Cup carried far greater significance in those days than it does now, one to be proud of. However that''s as far as it should go. It is rather pathetic to celebrate such non-nationally important events years after they have happened just as the binmen''s celebration of something 30 years ago is laughable. Nice memory and let''s leave it at that. What happen''s next season is much more important. 

[quote]

I attended the greatest ever event and it was one of my best days ever at carrow Road.[/quote]My best day ever at Carrow Road was the Milk Cup semi-final against Ipswich.I wonder how people might feel they compare ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote] I attended the greatest ever event and it was one of my best days ever at carrow Road.[/quote]

My best day ever at Carrow Road was the Milk Cup semi-final against Ipswich.

I wonder how people might feel they compare ?
[/quote]

Dont take the piss pal, I said ONE OF!

My top 3 games are Ipswich semi,wolves play off and Bayern Munich.

[quote] I attended the greatest ever event and it was one of my best days ever at carrow Road[/quote][quote]Dont take the piss pal[/quote]I love it when the previous poster provides you with your reply.

Yes indeed Nutty there are some of us on the Board that remember that wonderful team and that wonderful cup run , It was so unexpected thats the thing I will never understand , two yrs previous we were applying to stay in the league . then came that great team that could have beaten anyone .

I have watched that wonderful link and it has brought memories flooding back to me . I remember as a boy of about 9 being at White Heart Lane for the semi when I was almost crushed to death , there was over 50 k stuffed in the ground you could hardly move , there was this small dividing wall which I jumped up on to and intended to watch the match from . I plonked myself down and shouted to my brother "cor I have got a clinker view here" then this lovely old Norfolk voice behind me said "get off there boy I cant see" I never took any notice I thought you will have to look round me , the next thing I remember was being shoved flying into the crowd .

I could not get my hands out from my sides , I was being crushed , I was having trouble breathing , I was slowly being crushed to death , my brother who is almost 8 yrs older than me saw the peril I was in , he and his mates , about 6 of them , forced an opening for me and even got me to the front so that I could see the match . what a match it was to , we took Luton apart , we were all over them , Bobby Brennan and Jimmy Hill were ripping them asunder we were queuing up to score and when Terry Allcock got the winner we went berserk only for the Ref to disallow it for no apparent reason . Those golden day , those wonderful days , those days I will remember for the rest of my life .arrdee

Of course the 59 Cup run will not have the same impact on present day ''younger'' fans as it will the older boys like myself.But it was a watershed moment in the history of the club in respect that it was the achievement that ignited a major change in the ''small'' club''s attitude and later achievements.Not that many years after the club moved into Division 2 (now the Championship) for the first time in its history.Although City spent many years in this league, for the older supporter it was the highest standard the club had ever been at. And with many supporters viewing  the Canaries as a small outfit pitting themselves against other household-name teams regularly drew gates of 30,000 and over.Nowadays the middle-aged/younger supporter has only known the Canaries to have either played in the Championship or the Premier - so the expectations are that much higher. 1959 has little significance.If the club are now thinking along the lines of marking the 59 run it should have been done in 1959 not 2009.Mark it by all means, but by putting up a permanent photographic/memorabilia display somewhere within Carrow Road.

I don''t see a problem with the club doing something to mark what was a pretty amazing achievement - I can''t believe that it would be anything as daft as the ''greatest event'' effort (or even a naff open top bus parade almost a third of a century after the event, as Ippo fools seem to like), but would be more along the lines of what is usually done for this sort of thing, with a''special'' day for ex-players that coincides with a home game.

It is certainly a sad fact that nowadays people don''t seem to give too much of a thought to the heritage of the game and the club.  The saddest aspect of that Ippo moron''s ''article'' was that he seemed to think that winning the FA Cup 30 years ago - as a top division club - was worth remembering (why on earth a 30th anniversary is considered so special was beyond me), but that a semi final performance from a team from Division 3 South 50 years ago wasn''t.  They are both nods to the history and heritage of the game, and imo both as valid - or invalid - as each other. 

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I don''t see a problem with the club doing something to mark what was a pretty amazing achievement - I can''t believe that it would be anything as daft as the ''greatest event'' effort (or even a naff open top bus parade almost a third of a century after the event, as Ippo fools seem to like), but would be more along the lines of what is usually done for this sort of thing, with a''special'' day for ex-players that coincides with a home game.

It is certainly a sad fact that nowadays people don''t seem to give too much of a thought to the heritage of the game and the club.  The saddest aspect of that Ippo moron''s ''article'' was that he seemed to think that winning the FA Cup 30 years ago - as a top division club - was worth remembering (why on earth a 30th anniversary is considered so special was beyond me), but that a semi final performance from a team from Division 3 South 50 years ago wasn''t.  They are both nods to the history and heritage of the game, and imo both as valid - or invalid - as each other. 

[/quote]Problem was BP, they had booked the town hall and the open topped bus to celebrate reaching the play-offs and when that didn''t happen they had to arrange something else pretty quickly !  [:D]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]People dont undertsand what that cup run was all about, like the teams we beat to get there. Poor journalism by a scum prat.[/quote]

Well said Arthur [:D]

Why are we so insecure that we have worry what that lot down the road think about our every move. I''m way too young to remember but through a combination of my Dad, Grandad and a few old buggers on here [;)] I think I can understand what it was all about. It was an amazing achievement and I think it''s thoroughly disrespectful to the fans who remember that cup run and the players who were involved to dismiss them as ''losers''.

There''s more to football than just winning, that saying that ''nobody remembers the losers'' is complete nonsense. Each season has it''s own story with it''s own characters who may not win trophies at the end but have acheived something none the less. Not everyone can win but that doesn''t make everyone who fails to win a trophy a loser, does it?

So screw Ipswich, screw the "journalist" who wrote this and lest have the courage to celebrate the achievements of our team [Y]

firstly, after emailing the binner journo I got a reply today with a grovelling apology.secondly, I am only 27 but I have the greatest respect for the 59ers. I don''t think an event like the greatest ever would be appropriate but perhaps a civic reception of sorts.I would love the opportunity to see these heroes of the club, and acknowledge the huge impact they had on football. It''s not just the fact we made the semi finals (or are we gonna have one next year, 20 years since we lost to everton on the forgotten semi), its the fact that we were a 3rd division south side beating the best teams in the country.Some posters wanted a big send off for hucks, yet when something more worthwhile is thought of, its knocked by all and sundry. disgraceful

Some of the comments on here reaaly incense me. City, throught the Historical Trust (the Greatest was NOT a trust event), have celebrated events in City''s history for the last few years. 58/59 was the launch pad for City in the last 50 years, we were promoted a year later and touch wood have not slipped back to where we had spent the vast majority of our previous existence.Probably before then hardly anyone was aware of Norwich City, those who remember it even a a small child know how Norwich became the talk of the country.Many of these events are organised not only for the fans to appreciate but also the players who took part and relish the opportunity to meet up with old colleagues. Speak to players who come back and they will tell you how much they enjoy and how much better City treat them than other clubs they played for. Many supporters are interested in City''s history, if you''re not..fine, you don''t have to attend any event organised. Its not depriving Glenn of funds, its not doing you any harm. If the morons south of the border are unable to accept that every side has moments of its history to celebrate/remember even the likes of Rochdale, Darlington etc it just shows their ignorance and arrogance

A commemoration of this non-achievement would be farcical. I have never understood why the club and older City fans still bang on about failure in the FA Cup in 1959 - despite the fact we were a 3rd Division side at the time. We must be the only losing semi finalists in England to remember such a non-event. I have always felt this way about the ''59 cup run, I haven''t suddenly become cynical in my old age. Surely finishing 3rd in the Premiership was a far greater achievment?

Obviously many on this board take very little notice of off the pitch events at CR. After all in the last 10 years there have been events to commemorate 40 years after the 59 run, the Centenary, the Milk Cup final, 71/2 promotion and Europe.(Ipswich have actually copied us not vice versa) As I said before it doesn''t need to impact you, a bit of applause to some old players at half time in one game is surely not too much to ask and if you''re in the bar at h/t you won''t even notice. Leave those who do think the history of the club is worth commemorating to do so

[quote user="Drunken Delias Ramble"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote] I attended the greatest ever event and it was one of my best days ever at carrow Road.[/quote]

My best day ever at Carrow Road was the Milk Cup semi-final against Ipswich.

I wonder how people might feel they compare ?
[/quote]

Dont take the piss pal, I said ONE OF!

My top 3 games are Ipswich semi,wolves play off and Bayern Munich.

[/quote]

I think we all know you''re far to young to remember even the Wolves game.

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]A commemoration of this non-achievement would be farcical. I have never understood why the club and older City fans still bang on about failure in the FA Cup in 1959 - despite the fact we were a 3rd Division side at the time. We must be the only losing semi finalists in England to remember such a non-event. I have always felt this way about the ''59 cup run, I haven''t suddenly become cynical in my old age. Surely finishing 3rd in the Premiership was a far greater achievment?[/quote]JJG. I am totally amazed by this post and your disrespect of our clubs history. Let me try to spell it out for you.

At the end of the season (57) we had to apply for re-election to the league (failure, and we would almost certainly have ceased to exist). A the same time Man Utd who had won three league titles in the fifties and had been FA cup finalists in the previous two seasons arrived at Carrow Road confident of an easy win. Norwich beat them 3-0 to start what was to become an epic voyage. From thereon, every side that City played were from the top division except Sheffield Utd (2nd tier).

Next round we beat Cardiff at home 3-2 and in round five we were drawn away to Tottenham (we took 20,000 fans there) where a last minute equaliser meant a replay at CR which we won 3-2. Tottenham went on to win the league and cup double in 61, the first team to achieve that feat in the 20th century.

Drawn away again in the sixth round this time at Sheffield Utd we were a goal down and then our keeper (ken Nethercott) dislocated his shoulder (no subs in those days) so he carried on playing with his arm dangling by his side, Brennan equalised so we returned to CR for the replay which we won 3-2 and we were in the semi-final. 

Against Luton at white Hart Lane the first game ended 1-1. but we lost the replay at St Andrews 1-0. City were the best team in both matches but the final scoreline doesn''t reflect that.

Norwich and Norfolk was awash with green and yellow throughout and the Canaries success was reflected in the national media. Every paper carried Norwich City stories EVERY DAY for weeks until the final heartbreak.

Our famous cup run was much more than just a few games against high class opposition. The money we earned from it and the fame it brought us helped SAVE our club from extinction and served as a launching pad for the club as we know it now. We went on the next season to promotion to the division we are in now. So JJG, without the cup run we would probably never have been able to achieve the third place finish in the old first division and many other achievements since.