Sign in to follow this  
Archie

if celtic did make a £1 million offer for mcveigh...

what would you do? people say that he will perform better in the premier,but i am not so sure. for me he has been one of the most disappointing players this season - how much would he be missed?? its certainly one to think about,especially with brennan filling in perfectly well last season when he was needed - indeed even pushing mcv out onto the right wing

I dont think McVeighs season was a disappointment - he performed well on the left wing and the winter relationship with Hux was a major reason for our surge up the table. His season did finish on a low point - he was the last player to be tried in the right wing position before the signing of Cooper. I dont think he was kicked out of left wing by Brennan who only came in to accomodate McV move to the right. He did not perform as well on the right as he did the left - hence the signing of Cooper. Brennan is not as complete as player for city in that left wing role, Jim is the better defender but only average going forward.

The reason McV season drifted to a close was the transition to a 4-3-3 rather than 4-4-2 - and it was the left wing berth that was lost. When we reverted in games to 4-4-2, Gillingham, he came in on the left and was far more effective. As I have frequently said players for positions - he is a striker who has adapted to the left wing and then suffered as he was out of position and with a player he was starting to build a relationship with (Eddie)

A million? Despite being a fan - an my daughter would kill me for this - I think that would be bordering on a good deal, but we would need more than that. Brennan does not bring us the same attacking options so we would need to buy. Would a million cover wages and transfer fees to get the same or better quality player? With Premier wages I dont think so...

However I feel we should be keeping the core of our side and adding to it rather than losing the only regular 1st team creative midfielder we have... (Immy - does that save me????)

OTBC

Keep him, cutting in from the left is his best position and he has been asked to play elsewhere this season. We will need a squad in the Prem and I would be happy to see him come off the bench or as a replacement if Hucks is injured. Plus the million would be used up quickly on a replacements wages as I would guess McV is on less than a replacement would demand.

Last thing he also seems very much part of the ''team'' and we will need to keep the togetherness factor.

we would graciously accept their offer and thank our lucky stars that someone would pay that much for a player who is badly out of form (for various reasons). We are still not in a financial position to refuse an offer of that size for someone who isn''t a first team regular anymore.

trust me i dont think it will happen. I spoke to my friend in NI and he said he is better off staying here. Look what happened to Neil Lennon, death threats and forced to quit international football. Yeah it would be a great move but is football really worth all of this?

I can see no good coming from selling a proven good player. He''s had a dip in form, but all players do at some point. We know he can do it, why sell him? Unless ofcourse he wants to go.

Although if he were to go to I can''t see the Celtic fans being so forgiving with his occasional lack of effort and petulant behaviour. Remember the end of the Northampton game?

I''d rather see him stay, he''s a very handy player and can take over the mantle of Baby Faced Assassin now Solskjaer is finally looking older.

It is a big IF. I can''t see it myself and agree with those on this board that a move to Celtic is unlikely (can''t see Celtic fans appreciating the move given their, shall we say, predisposition towards those from the north of the island of Ireland.... ahem.... nor in footballing terms, tho O''Neill is King up there and his judgement is not in question).

Having said that - he''s relatively versatile and would be a useful addition to Celtics squad given that they want to compete in Europe and need strength in depth, McVeigh would fit the bill.

Do we want to sell him? If the price is right I''m sure NW would accept. Is £1m right - don''t think so, as others have said who/how can we replace him? Kennedy from Wolves maybe/perhaps but the prospect doesn''t fill me with any degree of confidence. I side with those that say we add to our squad for this season, press on see what shakes out and get rid of any chaff at the end of the season.

OTBC

i dont think he''d wanna go because think about it, he''s a protestant(comes from NI) and he''d be moving to a catholic club. do you remember how much crap Neil Lennon got for doing that!! he had to stop playing for his country because his family were getting death threats!!

McVeigh is a great little player and did a fantastic job for us on the left in Worhington''s first two seasons and top scorer last year. This season, with Brenna and Hucks arriving, McVeigh has found his position on the left taken from him: firstly, Worthington made a big point of saying he thought Drury and Brennan looked a great combination on paper, so you can imagine McVigh must have felt somewhat disappointed. Then, whatever Hucks ''official'' position, you can bet he''ll tend to drift out to the left!

If we thought we could play Hucks and McKenzie upfront, ie without a target man, then I''d pick McVeigh to play down the left ahead of Brennan. But if Worthington feels we need a target man, whether it is Svensson or Crouch, then Hucks naturally moves to the left which leaves McVeigh without a place again - he''s not as effective on the right.

Even so, he''s a great player to be able to bring off the bench, and has often grabbed a late goal or found a little magic to set one up - certainly worth keeping next season. MLS

Zipper and Mls hit the spot for me. Don''t start tinkering with a settled squad too much. Paul did suffer when we went 4-3-3 but its not long since he was our leading scorer and he can play wide or through the middle and has good pace and a great shot.

Having rid oursleves of dead wood we should keep the best and actually add rather than lose good squad players. Don''t disrupt that team spirit.

One final thing- when Nigel said Paul was not pulling his weight he didn''t do a Kenton and flounce around or sulk. He pulled his socks up and got back into the team and came off the bench regularly and did his job. That''s the attitude I like and we need.

I have to agree with you MLS - McVeigh is one of the few midfielders city have that can do something a bit different to conjure up a chance. We would need more than a million to replace him so why let him go for that?

I cant see us perservering with 4-3-3 in the premier although I would like to see us try - as such McVeigh remains our best creative midfielder.

OTBC