Sign in to follow this  
james norwich

What's our greatest ever defensive pairing?

Having wound up a few fellow supporters on here recently, i thought it was about time i proved i''m not the Scummer/imbecile/schoolboy i''ve been referred as recently. So here we go, who were the best?

Forbes/Stringer

Butterworth/Linigan

Watson/Bruce

Mackay/Flemming

[quote user="DIZNAZZA HIZLOMEZ"]Butterworth/Polston - highest ever finish; oh for those days again, maybe, just maybe we could become the Villereal of England!!!!!!1[/quote]

68 goals conceded too!!! Plus Gunn was Player of the Year which says even more.

Statistically, I would imagine it is Butterworth & Linighan as I can''t recall too many tonkings when they were the pairing.

Can''t be Mackay and Fleming as only played at second tier level.

For me it has to be Bruce and Watson, although of course we were relegated with that pairing. Probably the best 2 centre halfs to pull on the yellow shirt. 2 real leaders too!

Very good question!!!

I thought Butterworth and Linighan were a great pairing. They also had Culverhouse and Bowen as left back and right back either side of them. This made a really strong defence.

A couple you haven''t mentioned are Jones/Powell and Watson/Hareide but I''m firmly in the Butterworth/Linighan camp. They probably had the best top tier record defensively over two seasons. Although we always talk about our best ever finish in 92/93 we shouldn''t forget season 88/89 was awesome and although we eventually finished 4th, at the end of March we were 3 points off top with a game in hand and in the FA Cup semi-finals. Was the double on for the Canaries[:^)] Not arf [Y]

[quote user="Dr. Bunsen"]really do hope that was a joke huckerby..... because any defence with shackell in it has to be crap[/quote]

it wasnt a joke Doc Bunhead [:P] i genuinely believe that in the period the two of them played together that they were class

I never saw Forbes/Stringer (far too young [:P]) and as much as I loved Malky/Flem I don''t think they''re in the same class as the others. I''m going to go for Bruce/Watson, but I think I''m possibly being influenced by the careers they had ''post City'' and The Milk Cup win which is one of my earliest memories. Butterworth/Linighan were probably more consistent for a longer period of time at the highest level, and let''s not forget that Andy Linighan got us into Europe when he wasn''t even playing for us [;)].

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

[quote user="DIZNAZZA HIZLOMEZ"]Butterworth/Polston - highest ever finish; oh for those days again, maybe, just maybe we could become the Villereal of England!!!!!!1[/quote]

Statistically, I would imagine it is Butterworth & Linighan as I can''t recall too many tonkings when they were the pairing.

For me it has to be Bruce and Watson, although of course we were relegated with that pairing. Probably the best 2 centre halfs to pull on the yellow shirt. 2 real leaders too!

[/quote]

Fair point!!!!!!

Still the football was great

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Barry....and Butler. He took care of things on his own. [/quote]

Yep of course "Yankee" you are so right Barry Butler the best centre half we have ever had, so it has to be Butler and Crowe. arrdee.

[quote user="Stevie Wonder"]

[/quote]

The real reason we were relegated that year was more to do with the fact they were both out injured when we needed them most. I seem to remember Greg Downs having to play centre half in a game we needed to win![:(]

Watson and Bruce for me, no question.

If you then think of the back five for the 85/86 season -

Woods

Culverhouse   Bruce   Watson   Bowen

Wow! If only that little lot could have matured together and played in the top division. Unfortunately, at the end of the 85/86 season, Woods went to Rangers, Watson to Everton, and, a couple of years later, big bad Steve went to United. Oh, what might have been... if only Doncaster had shown a bit of ambition and given them all decent contracts ;-)

Watson and Bruce without a doubt. They went on to play at a higher level than any of the others you''ve mentioned. Bruce won several trophies as an ever-present with Man Utd and Watson won at least one trophy (the old 1st Division title) with Everton.

Another +1 for Butterworth/Linighan. When I read the thread title I thought of them instantly. What a pairing! The authority and leadership of Butterworth and the pace, style and heading ability of Linighan.

doncaster and delia!! always come out with defensive dribble instead of being positive with what they say.

Woods

Wow! If only that little lot could have matured together and played in the top division. Unfortunately, at the end of the 85/86 season, Woods went to Rangers, Watson to Everton, and, a couple of years later, big bad Steve went to United. Oh, what might have been... if only Doncaster had shown a bit of ambition and given them all decent contracts ;-)

Bowen did not sign untill 87

[quote user="canaries in Bed"]

Woods

[/quote]

Yep Dennis Van Wyk was our left back in 85-86

Woods

[/quote]

Yep Dennis Van Wyk was our left back in 85-86

Even though Mackay and Fleming played in the Championship there are some points worth considering.- Championship standards and players that they were defending against must have been technically better than the top flight in the early nineties, eighties and before then.- The amount of goals we conceded home and away that season was absolutely miserly, we had loads of clean sheets and I bet statisitically that was our best season in defence.- without their input (and Greeno and Hucks of course) we may not have won the Championship (Yes they helped us win something) and quite possibly if the doommongers are to be believed, we''d be bust by now.

Of course in the recent traditions of our club, service and performances like that are rewarded with a swift exit through the back door :-(All things considered, Mackay and Fleming for me.

Woods

[/quote]If he had given them any contracts it would''ve been spectacular - Doncaster was''t with the club then.

Watson and Bruce for me.   Won us a trophy,   Watson truly England class and Bruce only just below it (unlucky not to win a cap?) and both a class above the next best pair (for me) of Butterworth and Polly.

Cant really recall the likes of Forbes and Stringer,  or those before but of the pair mentioned Fleming and Mackay,  legendary servants of the club that they were,  are not in the same calibre at all.