Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

are we on the verge of a financial Disaster?

Joe Lewis was a fire sale i think.... sold cheaply with a huge clause in the hope he gets snapped up by a big side... (we could still get diddly squat for him)

The release of Hucks and the other 8 players....  Alan wood, Terry Postle, Neil Adams all being shipped out...

The club, in my eyes, is cost cutting.. Doomcaster came out in his column and said there is money available.. only a few weeks later to say there was no money available... Roeder has said we can only afford Loan players.. or rather that Loans are the way to go...

who thinks the club is trying to scale down its finances? we have only offered foz a 1 year deal rather than a longer, more expensive one.. with the Doc still to sign...

Like i said in the season.. Relegation will see Administration....

jas :)

Sounded like we offered a longer deal to Fozzy, that wasn''t accepted, hence his ''I think the club wanted to offer me more.'' comment.

But let''s not let that get in the way of doom-mongering.

I recall Ballsy writing in his column not too long ago,  The Club''s finances were in his opinion much worse than we all think.  Plus administration rumours have been doing the rounds, but I don''t know...

[quote user="NegativeVibes"]If we had been relegated this season, then I think there is no doubt that we would be in admin right now.[/quote]

Why do you think that may I ask?  You seem to me to have tremendously loyal supporters - I can''t imagine most of you deserting your team because they had dropped into League One.

Standard players contracts normally include a relegation clause so that the outgoings are reduced.

From what I have read (mostly on here) of your debt level (around £20m??) that''s nowhere near as bad as many other clubs.  And you have assets which have a commercial value.

I think if the financial state is infact worse than what we are being led to beleive, it MUST come out sooner rather thatn later because I for one am sick of being kept in the shade by NCFC over matters that we should really know about.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Joe Lewis was a fire sale i think.... sold cheaply with a huge clause in the hope he gets snapped up by a big side... (we could still get diddly squat for him)

The release of Hucks and the other 8 players....  Alan wood, Terry Postle, Neil Adams all being shipped out...

The club, in my eyes, is cost cutting.. Doomcaster came out in his column and said there is money available.. only a few weeks later to say there was no money available... Roeder has said we can only afford Loan players.. or rather that Loans are the way to go...

who thinks the club is trying to scale down its finances? we have only offered foz a 1 year deal rather than a longer, more expensive one.. with the Doc still to sign...

[/quote]

With all the greatest respect, have you ever heard of the phrase putting 2 and 2 together and laking 5?

I accept that you might be true, but there is no concrete evidence to say we are on the verge opf adminstration...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

No sh1t, Sherlock.

[quote user="NegativeVibes"]If we had been relegated this season, then I think there is no doubt that we would be in admin right now.[/quote]

Agreed 100% but that might still happen. The old saying ''cannot see the wood for trees '' comes to mind.

[quote user="archer4721"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

No sh1t, Sherlock.

[/quote]

You couldn''t have just said "Good point, Jas" or anything like that? Had to be abusive even when you agree with him.

I don''t agree with the point about Lewis being a fire sale. We weren''t using him so we sold him. Its what most other clubs do with players they don''t need. Hopefully the sell-on clause will work out well for us but as I''ve said all along we have to take risks with regards to player sales and purchasing. 

The rest of your post seems agreeable however.

I just hope we don''t fall into admin but it is a distinct possibility if things go badly wrong next year. We certainly seem to be budgeting for it on appearance anyway.

There seems to be a pretty large over reaction here on some pretty large assumptions and some twisting of evidence.Roeder says loans are the way to go, so you assume he means he can''t afford to buy anyone. We let a bunch of underachieving youngsters go, you assume we are cost cutting and can''t afford them. If we really wanted to cut costs it wouldn''t be the Jarvis bros going but Fozzy and Doc leaving.Also, the club publishes the accounts every year, and I know people bash on about them being doctored etc, I seriously the club would alter the accounts to a point of illegality! Also, if we were relegated I doubt it would push us into admin. Them amount clubs receive in TV revenue really isn''t that different from the Championship to League 1.Stop looking for doom and gloom and just wait and see what happens.

[quote]who thinks the club is trying to scale down its finances? we have only

offered foz a 1 year deal rather than a longer, more expensive one..

with the Doc still to sign..[/quote]Who thinks we''re trying to re-focus our finances, so that we get the most for our money ?  No harm in efficiency, is there ?  Staff clear-outs are usually part and parcel of a new manager in a club, when Sam Allardyce left Bolton for Newcastle he took something like 26 staff with him.  Managers like to work with those they know and trust.  Maybe the people who were let go weren''t trusted by Roeder ?I also wonder if the clear-out of the non-playing football staff will result in fewer, but Premiership-experienced staff being brought in for the same budget that we had.  Jonny Wilkinsons'' motivation man probably doesn''t come cheap after all.Whatever happens, we''ll all have a better idea what''s going on in July.

We offered £1.25M for Taylor on the last day of January. We bid £2M for Billy Sharp and Luke Varney last summer. We bid up to £2M for Dave Cotteril before that!

I think we could have more money than the board let on but yes theres also the danger that we are struggling for money as the recent sackings would suggest but who knows?

Oh yes and the fact that our season tickets are on average up to £100 cheaper than the binners down in Suffolk, so does that indicate a hard up club?

I don''t think we are on the verge of financial disaster, and using the current swathe of people ''leaving the club'' as evidence is rather misleading.  IMO what has been happening was an inevitable restructuring of a system that at the end of the day was failing to deliver what was needed of it.  People also commented a lot about the staff levels and high a payroll bill when the last set of accounts came out, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that perhaps some re-engineering of the backroom positions was needed, with the idea that a higher proportion of the club''s finances could then be spent on the playing staff - that is surely what we all want. 

Some interesting theory''s. There are factors to suggest that we are on the verge of disaster but there are also factors to suggest that everything is fine and dandy at Carrow Road. We simply cannot say for certain just exactly what is going on, we have to trust our beloved club is on the way up not down.

If we get to the closing date of the transfer window and nobody of any real quality has been added then yes by all means panic but until then we have no right to criticise because for all we know G.R has a big amount in the kitty and has maybe already tied up Martin Taylor, Wes Hoolahan and the like.

Until we know for certain please dont criticise. Please.

I''ll wait and see what team is fielded for our first Championship game?......Which will be a surefire indication, of whether we are on the verge of a financial disaster.....

Quite true - time will tell when we start to see the transfers rolling in (or otherwise!); I meant to add that the simple truth is that none of us really have a scooby re: how we are financially.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I''ll wait and see what team is fielded for our first Championship game?......Which will be a surefire indication, of whether we are on the verge of a financial disaster.....

[/quote]

So you couldn''t work that out from last summers spending? Big dave [1 million euro''s or 150 grand??] The mighty Bellier [free?] oh i cant be ar~ed to go on.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

So you couldn''t work that out from last summers spending? Big dave [1 million euro''s or 150 grand??] The mighty Bellier [free?] oh i cant be ar~ed to go on.

[/quote]

arthur has a point... Scott mentions the money bid for sharpe and Varney... yet why was that money not invested in other targets and we end up paying pittance... and did we REALLY off that much for tiny??? why did Roeder not have a plan B... or perhaps he did and there wasnt enough funds... we signed matthew Pattison for a small outlay too....

like some have said above.. this summer will show just how much money we have.... But theres some on here who will come out and say "he''s saving it for January" lets not delude ourselves... there wont be any money in January if there isnt any in the summer...

I seem to remember some of us saying "he''s saving the money for the summer" in Jannuary.. which would of been suicidal if we hadn''t invested and went down!

My worry concerning the spending is the fact we survived without spending a great deal. Whether or not Joe Lewis was sold to finance the loans (and it''s not too difficult to wonder if this was so) can we then assume that Huckerby and Dion''s departures will therefore finance more loans and quite a few permanent signings?

With the past history of this boards'' spending habits quite apparent to us all (and the only argument they used re ambitious signing in Huckerby totally blown out of the water) just how much are they prepared to let Glenn Roeder have?

Now they can sit back and think all we have to do is finance a few loans and we will survive. I think they may have underestimated Roeder''s ambition though. He is set to prove to the footballing world that he is a force to be reckoned with and a successful manager.

Just how much money there is I doubt any of us will ever find out. What has happened to the money from the Premiership - has anyone ever satisfactorily explained all of that? Parachute payments - we had them and used them to no advantage at all through mis management at every level.

I am confident that Glenn Roeder has ideas and his targets for taking us on to better things, if he can convince the board and get the money, fine. I don''t hold out much hope for him though.

What bout Otsemobor, he was free, but didn''t do too badly last season.

Varney and Sharpe - they scored the same amount of goals as Cureton between them, and would have cost £4-£5 million.

Safri cost 500k, so did Andy Hughes!

Keith Briggs cost us under 100k, like Ireland International Kevin Doyle did for Reading!

It''s not all about money, it''s about what you do with it.  I almost wonder that some people would rather we spent millions than got a bargain.  And no I don''t mean a bargain as just ''cheap'', a bargain imo is someone like Doyle cheap but very good value.

The board have been dreadful I fully accept and deserve every bit of criticism that come their way

Things had got all stale on the football side (several people were crying out for change) and I for one am pleased someone is finally trying to sort that out now.  Also, if he didn''t have any money to spend would Roeder have taken the job?  If he was given false promises I''d imagine he''d have resigned by now.

Another thing, news to me that Roeder said all we can afford is loans, last thing I heard him say is basically he''ll use the loan system again this season - if it means getting greater quality in that''s the main thing.  If we bought journeyman pro''s in people would moan, so when we loan youngsters they do as well.  I know loans don''t belong to us but they''ll want to prove themselves.  This of all summers I''m sure we''ll get some new faces in - remember we did last year with PG, but we won''t go in for that, I would hope GR has got a better eye for players than him, evidence so far suggests he has.

Threads like this are speculation based on conjecture. Simple fact of the matter is we don''t know what the finances are like at Carrow Road beyond the fact that we know we don''t have an awful lot of money.

Speculating beyond that is in my view pointless.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMan"]

Threads like this are speculation based on conjecture. Simple fact of the matter is we don''t know what the finances are like at Carrow Road beyond the fact that we know we don''t have an awful lot of money.

Speculating beyond that is in my view pointless.

[/quote]

Thats what football supporters have done for years and years mate and will not ever stop!

Its what feeds forums like these!

Jas:

You know my thoughts on this, I''ve already said we''re near as damn broke. The truth will out and sadly the Percy''s are in for one hell of a shock!.

[quote user="scott"]

We offered £1.25M for Taylor on the last day of January. We bid £2M for Billy Sharp and Luke Varney last summer. We bid up to £2M for Dave Cotteril before that!

I think we could have more money than the board let on but yes theres also the danger that we are struggling for money as the recent sackings would suggest but who knows?

[/quote]

And how much has the club recieved from player sales and Parachute payments? I''ll admit that i''m becoming rather confused about these parachute payments. Neil spincaster always made a point of telling us they would be used to plug the gap in the runnung of the club after relegtion and not for transfers but is now saying we cannot compete in the transfer market against the clubs currently recieving them,Which,i take it, means they are using it for transfer targets instead of new carpets and lovely desks.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Calm down ''Arfur.....my little Sixpence''.....If the squad is not dissimilar to the last seasons dirge, and the pathetic one before that....and the pile o'' poop one before that!.....Yadda, yadda, yadda etc......And the usual patronising, plausible, pretentious and predictable annual excuses of pongy pap; is once again spewed forth from the usual ''spew forther''s''....(again with the club media frantically spraying lavender scented toilet air-freshener over the effluent as it is released - in a vain attempt to sweeten its stench).  

And, if we once again fail to bring in a bit of true quality, I think that serious questions must, and should be asked by many, (hopefully the local media will get the bit between the teeth and do some serious and vigorous investigative reporting) and not just the crescendo of squeals of ''conspiracy'' from the ''usual board battering brigade'' (of which I''m an honorary member).....

This board has blundered, blagged, and blustered for a number of seasons now, and we just escaped relegation by the thickness of gossamer.....(or maybe fetherlite?)....

We certainly don''t have the right to make the top six, but 20,000+ regulars, do have the right to see the club seriously attempting to achieve it....The crappy finish is now being rubbed down to expose bare-metal by Roeder.....If the replacement restoration coating is inferior, expect the erosion and corrosion to penetrate and take hold again, and no damage limitation of trying to cover the expanding cracks with an application of cheap emulsion - is going to preserve, restrict, or delay its impending failure....and, eventual collapse.....