Sign in to follow this  
Libbra Lives in Dubai

The Huckerby/Beckham analogy

I am still perplexed and hurt at the way Darren Huckerby has been treated by the club and specifically Glen Roeder.  I can understand that a change of era was necessary and that we had to get rid of a lot of dead wood.  However, I feel that getting rid of our only premiership quality player is a step too far.  With many Championship clubs and a couple of Prem clubs interested in his services you have to ask yourself why we want rid of him.  Add to that the fact that he loves the club and is one of the few committed players in a weak side and it becomes unbelievable.  I cant help but think about comparisons with the McClaren/Beckham scenario where the ginger whinger came in and rang wholesale changes to the squad purely to stamp his authority on it and to herald the start of a new (unsuccessful) era.  We all know how that turned out - Beckham back in the squad with McClaren looking more red-faced than he usually did.  Our problem is that we wont have the option of calling on Hucks when we need him. 

If we have a wealth of funds to add quality to the side then I will gladly retract this post.  I''m just sceptical that we will sign a few average players completing our transition to a low ambition future league 1 side.  There are those of you I know will disagee with me and tell me to allow Roeder time to complete his revolution.  I will, but not without doubt and questioning his decisions until they bear fruit... I know Hucks was knocking on a bit but surely he would have been worth another year at least?

With all due respect, this was anounced getting on for three weeks ago. I suppose it makes a change from "look at our lack of ambition, we weren''t prepared to spend more than 2.5 million on a failed Premiership striker" but FFS get over it. No matter how eloquently you describe your misgivings (and I agree with some of what you say), it has happened, it won''t be reversed - let''s move on. Perhaps you could take a leaf out of the book of the great man himself and acknowledge that although you would have preferred things to be different, what matters is the club from this point on. A true supporter.

I agree to an extent. It is quite worrying to think that we got rid of a player of that quality but, as you also say, I am going to wait to see who we do manage to get in before I start griping.

Massive difference.

Beckhams strength is dead balls, and crosses, which he can still do despite ageing legs.

Hucks strength is (was) his pace. He''s starting to loose it, and its not going to come back as he gets older.

Its like comparing apples and oranges mate.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record on here (although you started it) Roeder said he couldn''t guarantee he''d make the first team on a regular bases - therefore how could he justify his wage?

Think with your head, and not with your heart

Totally agree with previous post, Becks was deadball quality and crossing which never dies out, Hucks unfortunately passed his peak so...please move on!

''''At the risk of sounding like a broken record on here (although you

started it) Roeder said he couldn''t guarantee he''d make the first team

on a regular bases - therefore how could he justify his wage?"Roeder better have some pretty good signings lined up then for next season thats all I can say.

Get over it and move on?  Sounds like out of sight out of mind to me.  This raises a bigger issue than Hucks not being in the side.  I''m concerned for the future of the club and this post illustrates why.  Lower league players trying to step up need experienced players to support and guide them through the transition.

Roeder has said that Hucks would not get into his team - a bold statement given the fact we are about 10 players light of a competitive squad.  Anyway - Hucks is gone, yes.  The bigger question for me is whether we will replace him and whether the man in charge is leading us down the McClaren route. 

[quote user="Libbra Lives"]

Get over it and move on?  Sounds like out of sight out of mind to me.  This raises a bigger issue than Hucks not being in the side.  I''m concerned for the future of the club and this post illustrates why.  Lower league players trying to step up need experienced players to support and guide them through the transition.

Roeder has said that Hucks would not get into his team - a bold statement given the fact we are about 10 players light of a competitive squad.  Anyway - Hucks is gone, yes.  The bigger question for me is whether we will replace him and whether the man in charge is leading us down the McClaren route. 

[/quote]I think you make good points and the "get over it, he''s gone" means little to me.  He needs replacing but for me that''s not my biggest concern, he probably needed to be moved on, he would have been far too expensive as a squad player.  What is worrying is the way he was moved on, not being granted a farewell at CR in front of 23,000 fans.  We and Hux both deserved that, he has been one of the few shining lights in recent seasons and proper farewell should not have been too much to ask for.  I know on the last home game we still could have been relegated but if we are not keeping him now, there is no way he would have been kept in the division below.

Well apparently we have new Hucks in Hoolahoolahan!?!?!

A player thats not only tiny and cant run but can only manage to make an 89th min appearence for the England 4th team...I mean Ireland!!

[quote user="WrightyBoy"]

A player thats not only tiny and cant run but can only manage to make an 89th min appearence for the England 4th team...I mean Ireland!!

[/quote]

Remind me again about Hucks international career

[/quote]

Answer this for me WrightyBoy. If Hucks were Irish, on form would Hucks make the current Ireland team.

I think he would probably just make the squad, but he probably wouldn''t get a run.

[quote user="Libbra Lives"]

I am still perplexed and hurt at the way Darren Huckerby has been treated by the club and specifically Glen Roeder.  I can understand that a change of era was necessary and that we had to get rid of a lot of dead wood.  However, I feel that getting rid of our only premiership quality player is a step too far.  With many Championship clubs and a couple of Prem clubs interested in his services you have to ask yourself why we want rid of him.  Add to that the fact that he loves the club and is one of the few committed players in a weak side and it becomes unbelievable.  I cant help but think about comparisons with the McClaren/Beckham scenario where the ginger whinger came in and rang wholesale changes to the squad purely to stamp his authority on it and to herald the start of a new (unsuccessful) era.  We all know how that turned out - Beckham back in the squad with McClaren looking more red-faced than he usually did.  Our problem is that we wont have the option of calling on Hucks when we need him. 

If we have a wealth of funds to add quality to the side then I will gladly retract this post.  I''m just sceptical that we will sign a few average players completing our transition to a low ambition future league 1 side.  There are those of you I know will disagee with me and tell me to allow Roeder time to complete his revolution.  I will, but not without doubt and questioning his decisions until they bear fruit... I know Hucks was knocking on a bit but surely he would have been worth another year at least?

[/quote]

Maybe Prem quality a few years ago until he lost his pace and fitness, which is the main part of his game.

What prem clubs are these? the ones that are in the News of the world? ha. All his agent has mentioned was a couple of championship clubs and some from league 1.

Wes Hoolahan (if we do sign him) is far from being a replacement for Huckerby. He is more a Simon Lappin replacement. Hoolahan does not score goals like Huckerby and he does not beat full backs and put in crosses. He is however a creative left sided midfield player who would be a good addition to any squad.

A Huckerby replacement - I don''t think so!!!.

Glen''s hunt for the replacement neds to come up with something a bit better and exciting than Wes.

The one thing that hasn''t been mentioned on here is that Roeder could eat humble pie and offer Huckerby a pay as you play or some other form of reduced cost contract.

But then I can''t imagine Glen eating humble pie.

[/quote]

yeah huckerbys international carear??? and hucks was massive wasnt he!!!!! im talking like 6ft 7inc peter crouch height. IDIOT

[quote user="jbghost"]

Wes Hoolahan (if we do sign him) is far from being a replacement for Huckerby. He is more a Simon Lappin replacement. Hoolahan does not score goals like Huckerby and he does not beat full backs and put in crosses. He is however a creative left sided midfield player who would be a good addition to any squad.

A Huckerby replacement - I don''t think so!!!.

Glen''s hunt for the replacement neds to come up with something a bit better and exciting than Wes.

The one thing that hasn''t been mentioned on here is that Roeder could eat humble pie and offer Huckerby a pay as you play or some other form of reduced cost contract.

But then I can''t imagine Glen eating humble pie.

[/quote]

i bet you in a couple of years hoolahan will be just as good as hux!!!!! of course he is a replacement, he  has everything about his game that hucks does apart from the pace. i wish people would just shut up moaning and be happy for once. whats the point in offering him a pay as you play contract anyway he wouldnt accept it, he wants big wages still.

I guess it is because I don''t live there and don''t get to see all of the games, but I still don''t understand why, which our obvious lack of strikers, hucks couldn''t have been used up front. It seems that everyone says his weakness was coming back to defend, so why not keep him around up front now that Ched is back at Man City?