Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

Re: Joe LEWIS in full England squad.

Masterful business by the managers. Grant spent around M£1 on a Scottish goalie when we had someone probably better waiting in the wings for nothing. Can''t really blame Roeder, he had to lose someone, there is no point of having more than 3 paid keepers on the books.

Good luck to Lewis  - but why on earth does Rob Green not get a chance anymore?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Sold potentialy best keeper we could have had, because they smelt a bit of cash. Disgusting.[/quote]Arf. what are you talking about ? He was third choice with no chance of getting a game so how could we have kept him ?

[quote user="AndyJR"]Good luck to Lewis  - but why on earth does Rob Green not get a chance anymore?

[/quote]a very good point,a top gk who should be in the england team.

He was only 3rd choice on age not on ability. I agree it was poor by the club to let him go, a long term loan would of been a far better option

I''ve said this many times before but how many of you lot going on about Norwich making a silly decision releasing the great Joe Lewis actually saw him play?

I bet quite a lot of you never even saw him play!

Well I saw him in the youth and reserve teams and while I thought he had potential he never once while at Norwich looked good enough to be in the 1st team or someone who was going to be that special in the future so therefore we got a good deal selling him for £400K to Peterborough.

I''m therefore quite shocked hes made the England squad which I''d say is probably cause others aren''t available. Good luck to him and I hope the club have a sell on clause on him if hes going to be as great as some think he is but a player whos never played any higher than League 2 which is our 4th Division being in the England squad doesn''t say much for the state of our National game in terms of youngsters coming through. 

[quote user="City Till I Die"]

Is he actually in the squad though? There is nothing on thefa.com or any other website except posh website.

[/quote]Some bloke on 606 Peterborough website said he''s in the first team squad - must be true.  :)

It is on Skysports as well now. Is this is what england has been reduced to bringing in a keeper from league two that even we didn''t want? No disrespect to Joe, but Green or Robinon would have been a much smarter choice surely?

Really can''t be fussed about the National team quite frankly,  failing to qualify for the Euros have made them a bit of a laughing stock, bunch of prima donnas the lot of them.  Anyway it''s NCFC before country for me every day of the week.

Good luck to Joe and commiserations to Greeno (he''ll have to change the message on those gloves now!). At last we have an England manager who picks players on ability and not reputation. When was the last time a 3rd Division player was called up to an England squad? I can remember Steve Bull being called up when he was playing for Wolves, which must have been over 20 years ago - and I believe they were in the old 3rd Division at the time. Nice one, Capello!

[quote user="The Duke"]He was only 3rd choice on age not on ability. I agree it was poor by the club to let him go, a long term loan would of been a far better option[/quote]Would it have been? What would people be saying now if say Norwich had continued the 13 game unbeaten run I wonder.Or alternatively what will people say if the £400k is spent on Hoolahan for example? I know we signed Pattison but we also didn''t pay whatever it would have been for Strihavka.And if people bother to listen to the players themselves Lewis said he wanted to go somewhere where he had more chance of first team football. It wasn''t anything to do with age really because Marshall is not the oldest keeper at the club - Gilks is. So you wan''t to use that you are more than welcome but it doesn''t stick, on top of that you have the other two younger keepers coming through who are highly rated and Glen seems happy to have to use on the bench if nessisary.If anything the only reason why Joe was in a situation at Norwich was because of the age of our keepers being so low. Whilst Marshall has experience he is only 23 and still yet at his potentially best. The problem is with potential is that you need to be playing to achieve it. We could have long-term loaned Joe out but at some point the decision would still have to be made and how long would Joe be happy with being loaned out for? The lad is 20 - he is going to want to be playing regular football and knowing that his future is in his hands. Roeder was honest enough with him to allow him to make that choice - Joe said he had a part to play in that choice and wanted to move on, I say it was a good decision by the club and even more so on the part of Joe Lewis. I hope that he goes on to good things and carries the Norwich flag high when he does - sometimes football has to be about the players career and in this case it was fair on him.As for the one that got away? He can not be placed in the same league as Henderson, Crowe etc as he was sold with a hefty sell on fee - that suggests the club knew that he had good potential but were not in a position to realise that potential themselves.

I think the record should be set straight here. Joe Lewis did not want to leave Norwich City: he is a Norwich City fan and was in tears when told by ND that the club had accepted a bid for him and were prepared to let him leave. When he returned from Morecambe he was expecting to be allowed out on loan for the rest of the season (probably to a League 1 club) before challenging Marshall & Gilks in 08/09 (and it looks like Gilks may be leaving this summer). He did NOT want to move on, whatever may have been said in the press.

3 England keppers in current England squad.

1. James

2. Kirkland

3. Hart

Am I missing something here? Why the hell would Lewis be in the England squad?

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

3 England keppers in current England squad.

1. James

2. Kirkland

3. Hart

Am I missing something here? Why the hell would Lewis be in the England squad?

[/quote]

Oh right he has replaced the injured Kirkland. I am absolutley amazed by this. Fair play to the lad though. Just think how much the posh could sell him for now he is an England international!

I think the record should be set straight here. Joe Lewis did not want to leave Norwich City: he is a Norwich City fan and was in tears when told by ND that the club had accepted a bid for him and were prepared to let him leave. When he returned from Morecambe he was expecting to be allowed out on loan for the rest of the season (probably to a League 1 club) before challenging Marshall & Gilks in 08/09 (and it looks like Gilks may be leaving this summer). He did NOT want to move on, whatever may have been said in the press.

Well said... i think still to this day it hurts but that is football... what he has to do prove ND, GR how wrong they were... and i think he is doing it well... training with the likes of james, rooney, terry, lampard will do his confidence the world of good and he will be learning off the best and anybody on this website would like to be in his position...

he will play in the prem before norwich will...  

so good luck mate you are star and carry on keeping up the good work...

Greeno must be going insane.

He was named Wet Sham''s player of the year and was ever present I think. What else has he got to do!

Well done to Joe though, Prem beckons this summer surely?

[quote user="Freeza"]

Greeno must be going insane.

He was named Wet Sham''s player of the year and was ever present I think. What else has he got to do!

Well done to Joe though, Prem beckons this summer surely?

[/quote]

It is absolutely ridicilous, all credit to Joe Lewis but Robert Green is more experienced at a high level of football. There is no way that Joe Lewis will be able to cope with full international football after just playing League Two football..............not to say he won''t develop into one of the country''s very best because i''m sure he will!

[quote user="Heeley5"]

http://www.theposh.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10427~1318581,00.html

thats all a thread started on the england fans forum from posh''s website!!!

Nothing offical????

[/quote] I put the original post on this website yesterday to say that it was on City message board that Joe Lewis had been called up to England squad. I found out later in the night that this was true.

It is now true that Kirkland is injured and will not be involved on Wednesday night in the match v. U.S.A.

The 3 goalkeepers will be James, Hart and Lewis.

What does concern me is that some ( not many) NCFC fans want to put the lad down. I believe he had been here since he was 9 years old. Was an avid Norwich fan and wanted to stay with the club. At the time he did not want to leave.

We do not have many success storys with regard to young players at this club. When one shows the talent to shine after leaving our club, especially to be called up to the full England squad, it would be great if we could all applaud him. 

makes it even harder to Stomach knowing we will start next season with the over rated Marshall in goal... when did he last feature for Scotland? theres a decent Chance Capello might give Lewis a few minutes in either of the games....

We might want to point the finger at the manager and board when Flap Marshall costs us yet another goal next season with his incompetence

jas :)

It never cease''s to amaze me how many people are wise after the event. This was good business for City and Lewis. He was not going to get into our first team and he needed to play 1 st team football. We got a much needed £400,000 and he got selected for England, oh and there is a sell on clause.

Good all round if you ask me.

Didn''t Green and Carson rule themselves out of being selected because they are off on their holidays. Doubt either of them would jump up off the beach to train with the squad and not even make the bench.I think it will be a long long time until Joe is in the squad again, so I hope he enjoys it while he can and gets some tips of great ''keepers like James.

Just seen on Sky news that Joe Lewis has been called up to the full England squad. Hope we had a major sell on clause!!!!

In hindsigt it appears to be a terrible deal at the moment, but people often forget that Lewis never made a first team appearence for us. 400k for a player without making their debut appears to be a good dela especially as we have got an excellent, and proven, keeper in Marshall, as well as two England youth international keepers in Declan Rudd and Jed Steer who by all accounts could be better than Lewis. Also we have no idea of determining whether there is a sell on fee for Lewis or other bonuses...

In hindsight we should have signed Ashton when we went straight up to the premiership, we should have kept hold of Bobby Zamora, bought Peter Crouch, we can''t keep saying that we should have done this, we should have done that, we need to accept that at the time Lewis was not realistically going to get in the first team and made good business sense to sell him for a fair sum of money.