Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Nobody really wanted me there (at Norwich) - Joe

How sad.

Joe Lewis in The Sun today:

He recalled: “I was in the reserves at Norwich but nobody really wanted me there and I never played a first-team game for them."

Actually Joe there''s quite a number of us who wanted you here.

Good luck. Hope you get a run out later - and an England cap on your young head - that''s more than Glenn and the rest have!!! 

OTBC

OTBC

Such a waste. Everyone knew he had potential. he was always in the papers for achieving this or that, got rave reviews at morecombe, then unfortunatly our ambitious board smelt a whiff of cash and sold him. Can anyone honestly say they didnt want him here rather than Gilks?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Such a waste. Everyone knew he had potential. he was always in the papers for achieving this or that, got rave reviews at morecombe, then unfortunatly our ambitious board smelt a whiff of cash and sold him. Can anyone honestly say they didnt want him here rather than Gilks?[/quote]

Could someone explain to me how you were going to give him a game?  Drop Marshall?

[quote user="camuldonum"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Such a waste. Everyone knew he had potential. he was always in the papers for achieving this or that, got rave reviews at morecombe, then unfortunatly our ambitious board smelt a whiff of cash and sold him. Can anyone honestly say they didnt want him here rather than Gilks?[/quote]

Could someone explain to me how you were going to give him a game?  Drop Marshall?

[/quote]No, not drop him. How things are going, sell him!

[quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

I didnt say drop marshall, im saying he should have been number 2 instead of Gilks.He would have been happy as it would have meant moving forward.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

I didnt say drop marshall, im saying he should have been number 2 instead of Gilks.He would have been happy as it would have meant moving forward.

[/quote]

Athur, in the article he said he needed to be playing 1st team football so he wouldn''t have been happy as a no. 2.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Athur, in the article he said he needed to be playing 1st team football so he wouldn''t have been happy as a no. 2.

[/quote]All right, so why didn''t we keep hold and farm him out on loan?

I felt at the time another loan would have been the way to go.  Joe would have been happy playing first team football and we would still have our investment.  If he really had the potential many were saying, surely we needed to see if that potential could be fulfilled while he was our player.

[quote user="2nd Wizard"][quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

All right, so why didn''t we keep hold and farm him out on loan?
[/quote]

I''m with you on this 2nd Wizard. There can be no credible argument about this, it was clearly ludicrous to sell him and, once again, provokes questions about Roeder and his judgement.

why not have played him in the cup games? surely that would have been a sensible option, but then this club doesnt do sensible does it.

Exactly, cup games and promoted to number 2. At the time he said he didnt want to leave so i think he would have been happy with this or a loan deal to a league 1 club. Why did the GK coach quit? because he was pissed off with the club for selling what he thought was the best keeper to come through the ranks under his term at the cl;ub.

[quote user="sig"]I felt at the time another loan would have been the way to go.  Joe would have been happy playing first team football and we would still have our investment.  If he really had the potential many were saying, surely we needed to see if that potential could be fulfilled while he was our player.[/quote]

Totally with sig on this....why were Posh prepared to pay a club record fee for him?...do you think Ferguson Jr picked his dad''s brains over such an investment?  I think we were a little hasty getting rid of Joe in the circumstances...for all we knew David Marshall could have been on his way during the transfer window & and then where would we have been?!

oh well, it''s done now.

i have heard from a friend of joes dad that he didnt want to go but was extremely peed off at his lack of chances when the likes of camp and warner were brought in instead of him getting a chance. that sums up this club im afraid, cheap loan options rather than our own youngsters getting a chance.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]Exactly, cup games and promoted to number 2. At the time he said he didnt want to leave so i think he would have been happy with this or a loan deal to a league 1 club. Why did the GK coach quit? because he was pissed off with the club for selling what he thought was the best keeper to come through the ranks under his term at the cl;ub.[/quote]There are two sides to this I think. As I have said before - the is Joe Lewis and then there is NCFC.For Joe Lewis this was the best possible move for his career. He is playing for a manager who has good connections which has lead to him being called up internationally. He made his first appearence for the under 21s this month and then gets called up to the full squad. I don''t think this would have happened had he been playing in our reserves or better or out on loan to a team without great connections. I also think he will be paid rather better and probably generally having more forfilment playing for a team he knows he has a chance with.I don''t think that whether he was on loan from us or sitting on the bench would help his progression.Then there is the Norwich side. We have Marshall - a fine goal keeper who we paid near to £1million for, we have Gilks who was also highly rated when he came to us with Premiership teams also linked to him. Gilks is the oldest and Marshall the middle at 22. Gilks has alread intimated that he isn''t happy with the lack of games although he accepts its not like Marshall is doing poorly. At 20 Lewis could be considered a bit to close to Marshalls age in that Marshall is also progressing and has potential to be a great goal keeper but is two years in advance of Lewis who at the time of his release had only experienced first team football down the leagues for a short period.£400k rising to £750k at that point was a good deal - especially considering that we agreed a sizable sell on clause. This alone suggests to me that Norwich DID rate Lewis. I think it was more down to Roeder and the fact that we have two other rising stars in that position who are coming to the point where they will earn a contract or already have. We needed a mass overhaul in the summer and Roeder may well have decided that the money now is better than waiting to see if Lewis did "cut it".So is it better for Norwich - yes, is it better for Lewis - undoubtedly. The fans? Well would we be able to say what a rising star he is if he was not sold? So we come down to hindsight and events that none could have predicted really - I don''t think anyone could have predicted him being in the England squad come the end of the season.

[quote user="2nd Wizard"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

No, not drop him. How things are going, sell him!
[/quote]

Spot on 2nd Wizard. Potential £2m for for a good Marshall or £400k for a quality Lewis? Dumb board.

[quote user="baldyboy"]why not have played him in the cup games? surely that would have been a sensible option, but then this club doesnt do sensible does it.[/quote]

This is what''s always p*ssed me off about Norwich - other clubs rotate their keepers but we never do. Why do we insist on playing the same keeper all season every season and never giving others a chance in somewhat more "insignificant" games. We never have cup runs anyway so what''s the harm in playing the reserve keeper in the early stages? Most seasons we always seem to have an ever-present in goal, but it''s because of this that we never see the potential of our other keepers.

I agree with Chicken and Alex. In the end Lewis was always going to move because Marshall will always be number one. He''s young, talented and we paid a fair bit for him. But I agree with Alex as well because we don''t rotate our keepers enough. If we had done then lewis might have broken through last season instead of having awful gallacher in goal and Lewis might well be our first choice and even higher up the pecking order. I don''t think there is enough rotation at the club with regards to keepers. I think even Green would have struggled to break through under the current system (that said it was only until marshall left that Greeno got his chance).

This debate is going to go on and on.........and yesterday i heard a little rumour and it was just a rumour that Marshall is wanted by spurs!

[quote user="Fellas"]I agree with Chicken and Alex. In the end Lewis was always going to move because Marshall will always be number one. He''s young, talented and we paid a fair bit for him.
But I agree with Alex as well because we don''t rotate our keepers enough. If we had done then lewis might have broken through last season instead of having awful gallacher in goal and Lewis might well be our first choice and even higher up the pecking order. I don''t think there is enough rotation at the club with regards to keepers. I think even Green would have struggled to break through under the current system (that said it was only until marshall left that Greeno got his chance).
[/quote]

Yep "Fellas" , I agree with you and those lovely old boys Chicken and Alex , Joe was never going to oust Marshall , if he did how many yrs from now ? I think it was a wonderful bit of business to maybe get £750 k for him and who knows we may in those yrs have a better keeper coming along .arrdee.

I agree with Chicken, too.  You have to look at this from all sides, and in the end the transfer was probably best for both Joe and the club.

Something that most people don''t seem to be realising/remembering is that a large part of the predicament we were in was down to Grant - it was he who got several loan keepers in last season ahead of Lewis, and then signed both Marshall and Gilks when Lewis would probably have been fine as the number two. 

It was hardly GR''s fault that he inherited such a weird situation: a squad which had both Marshall and Gilks, who no one could really have had an argument with as No1 and No 2, with Gallacher and Lewis out on loan,  Arnold + others coming through.  We did have a surplus of keepers and IMO, in the end the sale of Lewis was best for all parties.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

How sad.

Joe Lewis in The Sun today:

He recalled: “I was in the reserves at Norwich but nobody really wanted me there and I never played a first-team game for them."

Actually Joe there''s quite a number of us who wanted you here.

Good luck. Hope you get a run out later - and an England cap on your young head - that''s more than Glenn and the rest have!!! 

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]Case of poor management I''m afraid.  Should have gone out on loan for a season.  Our retention of quality players is poor (although as a selling club, this will always be the case) but to grab some quick cash and then lose out on millions because of a lack of fore sight is pretty hard to swallow.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Can anyone honestly say they didnt want him here rather than Gilks?[/quote]

I agree, Arthur. I''ve always thought we''d rue the day Peter Grant acquired Gilks, having never given Joe Lewis a taste of first team footy. [:@]

I[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

I agree, Arthur. I''ve always thought we''d rue the day Peter Grant acquired Gilks, having never given Joe Lewis a taste of first team footy. [:@]

[/quote]In international terms Lewis and Marshall seem just about level pegging. Why wasn''t Marshall sold for a million? Then play Lewis or play Gilks with Lewis as no 2 for a while? And be half a million to the good?

[quote user="jumper"]I[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

[/quote]In international terms Lewis and Marshall seem just about level pegging. Why wasn''t Marshall sold for a million? Then play Lewis or play Gilks with Lewis as no 2 for a while? And be half a million to the good?[/quote]Your joking? Lewis plays his first season or most of as a number one and gets a last minute call up to the England squad ahead of Green etc and it makes him on an even scale internationally to a keeper who has been in the internation set up for a number of years, has league winners medals and has played against the top clubs and players in europe?Ok.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="jumper"]I[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

[/quote]In international terms Lewis and Marshall seem just about level pegging. Why wasn''t Marshall sold for a million? Then play Lewis or play Gilks with Lewis as no 2 for a while? And be half a million to the good?[/quote]Your joking? Lewis plays his first season or most of as a number one and gets a last minute call up to the England squad ahead of Green etc and it makes him on an even scale internationally to a keeper who has been in the internation set up for a number of years, has league winners medals and has played against the top clubs and players in europe?Ok.[/quote]No not joking. Marshall is Scotland''s no three and couldn''t get a game for Celtic. Lewis is England''s no three. Tonight anyway. Marshall is a good keeper but has a real weakness - which everyone knows about. I''ve no idea how good Gilks is btw. But it looks like a good half a million gamble to me.