Sign in to follow this  
Tom NCFC

Is Hoolahan really the right guy to replace Huckerby?

Roeder strikes gold with Hoolahan signing
Friday 30 May 2008 22:42:24 by Cheep Shot

Norwich are set to sign Wes Hoolahan for £250,000 according to internet reports. But what type of player is the Republic of Ireland’s newest international player? Can he really replace Darren Huckerby as has been suggested by some reports?

Against Norwich last season he certainly shined and showed a hell of a lot of guile and skill, but he’s not the paciest man in the world like Hucks was at his best.

However, he is widely admired and has attracted a lot of attention from Championship and lower end Premier League clubs as the Seasiders held their own at a higher level after promotion from League One.

He began his career with Shelbourne in Ireland before moving on to Livingston and then Blackpool, initially on loan.

Last summer he signed a permanent two-year deal with Blackpool, but it seems he had a a quarter of million pound release clause inserted in his contract and the Tangerines, in their desperation to land the player, gave into his demands.

Norwich are now set to exploit and grab a player who can play on either flank for a fee that doesn’t relate to his obvious talent.

Steve Claridge, writing in The Guardian last year described Hoolahan as having “incredibly quick feet” and a “good range to his crosses”.

He wrote: “He has no real pace so, unlike most wingers, he''s not keen on being one-on-one against his full-back, which would require him to go past his marker on the outside. And yet he remains hugely effective.

“Hoolahan is the type of player who, if you walked into a ground at any point during the 90 minutes to watch him, you would not know what position he was playing in, such is his desperation to get on the ball. He plays wide, moves up top almost in a front three, sits behind the strikers and pops up all across midfield.

“He is a player with incredibly quick feet, a low centre of gravity, excellent awareness of those around him and a supreme confidence in his own ability to get out of tight situations. He is always willing to get involved, switches the ball from left to right foot in a flash, but will instinctively move infield and search out cluttered areas where he feels happiest.

“He is small, at 5ft 7in, so you would not expect him to be great in the air - and he is not - but his defending is adequate, he is strong on the ball and combines well with the closest centre-forward.

“He has a good range to his crosses, which he needs because he rarely passes from the same position.”

Claridge went on to rate him eight out of 10 for shooting; six out of ten for heading; nine out of ten for crossing; and six out of ten for pace.

Digging deeper on the internet, you can find a website for Hoolahan’s youth side Belvedere FC, based in Dublin. They have written much about their former player’s talent and they give a great insight into the potential of the player.

Belvedere boast winning more than 100 major trophies since the club‘s inception in the 1970s, with 166 of their players going on to win international caps for Ireland at various levels.

These players include Mark Kennedy, Curtis Fleming, Richard Sadlier, Thomas Butler, Stephen Elliott, Stephen Kelly and, recently, Hoolahan at full international level.

“Weso is undoubtedly one of the brightest prospects around. He''s young, gifted and green,” says one of the site’s writers.

They go on to quote former Ireland boss Don Givens: “"He''s got outstanding ability, beats defenders by skill as much as speed and he''s got a great engine for a little fellow. He can play left or right and is willing to learn.”

So it seems nobody has a bad word to say about Hoolahan and the Blackpool websites are full of tributes to a player who has always given his best for the club.

It seems like City boss Glenn Roeder has struck gold with this signing and Norwich have managed to secure a very good prospect, a new international cap, for a small fee.

Good business - more to come please, Glenn.

I think he''ll offer something different to huckerby ad we may now see him on the right with Ostemobor overlapping to provide the pace. If Hoolahan is more of a player to play killer passes and get crosses in then a link up with Ostemobors speed may be the best way to utilise him.If we get him it would be amusing to see we appear to have beaten Charlton out of signing him and Fozzy.1-0 to the optimists :D

Maybe... now we''ve been linked to Hoyte, who I believe is predominently right back, maybe Otsemobor might be pushed forward into a winger. Roeder wouldnt get a right back from Arsenal then expect him to play back up, and I dont think pace like Ots can be ignored. Hoolahan on the left and suddenly we have very good looking wings....

Thats a thought, but we have the speed of croft as well, and chadwick (almost forgot about him).Interesting considering we will have Lappin back and Pattison who can play on the left

Jon/Croft/Chad      Fozzy/Russell /Pattison/Bell/Mcdonald/Spillane     Lappin/Pattison/Hoolahan

Thats looking a reasonably strong midfield and wings if all those come off.

I think Huckerby is a very unique player who in his prime at this level was irreplacable, so i dont think its really a case of "replacements". We need players to improve the squad and the team and now that Hucks has left we have a weakness on the left hand side where Hoolahan could do a good job. Looking for a "replacement" as such may be harder to do.

Well said Northern...dont think we will see anyone join soon that could have such an impact on the game as Hucks used to.

Hoolahan will be a fantastic signing lets hope these rumours are true. be nice to see hoolahan on the left with croft on the right, pattison and fozzy in the centre sounds good.

Hoolahan would be a good addition to the squad but whether he''ll do what Hucks did for the club we''ll hopefully find out in the next few seasons!       - Even if he does sign and and even if we sign any other decent players letting Hucks go when he was still good enough will still be a c**p decision in my eyes and many others!

To be honest i cant see us replacing Huckerby with someone else who rips defences apart but Hoolahan would be a superb addition to the squad :)

[quote user="Polar"]Thats a thought, but we have the speed of croft as well, and chadwick (almost forgot about him).

Interesting considering we will have Lappin back and Pattison who can play on the left

Jon/Croft/Chad      Fozzy/Russell /Pattison/Bell/Mcdonald/Spillane     Lappin/Pattison/Hoolahan

Thats looking a reasonably strong midfield and wings if all those come off.
[/quote]

Bell is a right winger who if desperate can play in the centre

I agree he is a different type of player to Hucks but in the sense that he will prob play in the same position yes i think he is the right guy.

[quote user="xKevin82x"]Get  over hucks, hoolahan will prove he''s good enough to fill the vacant winger position..[/quote]

No, im not getting over it ...thanks all the same!!!!

[quote user="WrightyBoy"]

[quote user="xKevin82x"]Get  over hucks, hoolahan will prove he''s good enough to fill the vacant winger position..[/quote]

[/quote]

your a bit sad then arent you

[quote user="Dr. Bunsen"][quote user="WrightyBoy"]

[/quote]

your a bit sad then arent you

[/quote]

lol that was subtle Dr B [:D]

[quote user="Northern Canary"]I think Huckerby is a very unique player who in his prime at this level was irreplacable, so i dont think its really a case of "replacements". We need players to improve the squad and the team and now that Hucks has left we have a weakness on the left hand side where Hoolahan could do a good job. Looking for a "replacement" as such may be harder to do.[/quote]

Spot on Northern Canary in my view.  At his best Hucks was a great player for you and had a unique style of his own and risking the Huckerby Gang ambushing me and beating me up I''m going to add a BUT to that..........

But his style of play was eventually sussed out to a degree and from what I understand teams put two people on him sometimes which obviously made life difficult for him.  It is, of course, a wonderful tribute to him that he was double marked sometimes.

IF the Hoolahan reports are correct I think what Roeder sees is that Hoolahan is very difficult to mark because you never know where the little ****** is.  He''s all over the place - on either wing - midfield, all over the field chasing a ball (or at least that''s how he plays for Blackpool).  That also drags a marker all over the place and confuses the less bright among them.

IF you do get him I don''t think he will be a huge goal scorer for you but I do think he will create gaps and cause chaos to opposition defences which may enable others to take advantage of that.  I can''t remember which game it was but very early on in the season he created a goal for Blackpool which caused two opposition defenders to square up to each other as to who was on him when he made his pass. If the reports are correct I think that is what Roeder admires.

IF you have got him for £250k I think you probably have a bargain.  Like me he''s Irish and we have a natural facility (or so ''tis said) for causing chaos.  Also see under Falling Down Lotion.

But stylish, sometimes elegant, Hucks?  No.

Think chaos.  Just my opinion of course.

IMO that is spot-on Cam - other than the stuff about being Irish, that is, as I''m not.  As "only" an interested observer you almost always seem to have a very valid opinion on things Norwich!

I think hoolihan will provide something we havent seen for a while, and that is deadly crosses into the box that a good striker (rigters, ched, ameobi) can put away!

At the reported price if we got this player it would be a good deal. Replacement for Hucks, no. But as Hucks is no longer with us we have to have some sort of squad for next season and this lad looks as if he could do a job.

We simply cannot afford (or are not going to pay for) a replacement for Hucks. Whatever I, or anyone else thinks of his departure, the facts are that someone of Hucks'' quality is not going to be replaced easily, and not by this club under the current regime.

I look forward to watching Hoolihan if he does sign though, especially if he is as you describe him Cam. I have a little bit of Irish in me too, I have long wondered why I cause chaos, now I now......thanks!!

Dont think we will ever replace Huckerby , our days of signing that sort of player are long gone.Blackpool supporters seem to have mixed thoughts on Hoolahan some gutted he is leaving , others not bothered. One quote that i think sums it up quite nicely is  "You have got rid of a bank and bought a post office "

No way can Hoolahoop replace Hucks, for starters, Hucks scores goals!. But don''t get me wrong here, Hoola would be an okay signing to begin the rebuilding with.

But if its happens, its only the start, many more are needed and they have to be quality.........

Hoolahan is way better than Hucks

Hucks had 1 good season and lived off it.

The only consistant time he had here was the yera we went up.

Bring in wes and prove all you morons going on about huckerby wrong.

[quote user="BlahBlahzzzzz"]

[/quote]

Absolute RUBBISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote user="BlahBlahzzzzz"]

[/quote]

Yeah, he was awful for us in the prem, wasn''t he...