Sign in to follow this  
jon francis

Team for next season (realistic)

Ive drawn out 2 possible teams for next season with the squad i think we will have and i think the 1st team is easily good enough for the prem. and all the players in the second team could come in and compete for places.

Green

Edworthy Fleming Mackay Drury

Hughes Mulryne Holt Huckerby

Bentley Svensson

Macho

Briggs Scimeca Shackell Brennan

Rivers Francis Henderson Mcveigh

Abbey Mckenzie

I personally think those 22 players are easily good enough as a squad to keep us in the premier at the very least. Please tell me anyone if you think im unrealistic with the four new sighnings ive given us??

Ps Hughes is Brian

It is reasonable to believe that the team that starts next season will be very close to the one above.

However, on the basis of the above, we need another central defender as Scimeca (still not covinced he will come) is a utility player and two injuries simultaneously would stretch us.

We need a further midfielder as I dont fancy (and Im sure he doesn''t) Hendo in central midfield. Add Cooper to that mix and give consideration to Hendo only as a forward (he can go out on loan) to cover Abbey who won''t be fully fit until Christmas after his injuries. If Abbey doesn''t recover we will need a good forward in the January sales (clue: he''s 6''7)

Shoot me down then.

DL I do agree with your comments and i certainly dont fancy seeing hendo in central mid!!!All im showing there (or trying to show) is that if we do sighn the above then we will have a squad of a least 22 players all of fairly similar standard fighting for 16 places and thats surely good for worthy!? One thing i must admit i forgot about kevin cooper when posting this i hope he does sighn!!

NOT ENOUGH quality added for me ! i cant see huckerby playing on the wing in the prem he should drift from attack back but no way start left mid! hughes i would like but i still think we can get a better quality of player follow the lead of portsmouth and get some quality ! they had yakubu we have huckerby a solid playmaker is what we need !

I agree with your sentiments Jon - especially if we can get 22 players capable of regular Premiership action.

There''s the problem though. We need more than 22 players - probably closer to 30 as we cannot be as lucky as we were this year with suspensions and injuries. Also some of the players listed weren''t capable of maintaining their form consistently in Division One, Briggs, Rivers, Shackell (upto a point) let alone a Premiership campaign. This reduces numbers further.

Having said that we are in a Catch 22 position as I find myself advocating a large(ish) player influx which I am against because of morale reasons. It is unrealistic to expect 10 or more players to arrive over the Summer and would hinder our survival prospects as our "barrel of apples" would be upset.

The answer can only be, as everyone suggests, adding cautiously and then riding our luck with injuries and suspensions. Not ideal but NW will see us through.

if i was worthy this would be what i''d hope for

1st team;
green
edworthy mackay fleming drury
cooper matteo holt bentley
svensson huckerby

backup;
macho
briggs shackell scimeca brennan
rivers/hughes* francis matteo mcveigh
mckenzie bridges

*depending on whether or not he bucks up his ideas

and i''d keep henderson, jarvis, lewis and abbey but loan them out.

what do you think?

Wheres Phil?

He hasn''t featured much towards the end of this season because we''ve been winning week in week out, but the Premiership is different to Division One and we won''t be able to run the midfield the way we have this season. Mulryne will play an essential role in our survival next season.