Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Burnley have strong interest in Russell

The stories about Russell just won''t go away! The Lancashire telegraph reports that Burnley have a strong interest in Russell.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/burnleyfc/claretslatest/display.var.2309525.0.burnley_keeping_tabs_on_norwich_midfielder.php

There seems a lot of indifference amoungst City fans about the possibility of losing Russell, which is surprising really considering he came third in our Player of the Season vote!

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]There seems a lot of indifference amoungst City fans about the possibility of losing Russell, which is surprising really considering he came third in our Player of the Season vote![/quote]

3rd during a season when we missed relegation by one game. Nothing to write home about. Was missing in action for large parts of the season.

Average champ player.

Of course we missed him but we didn''t have any competition for places last season and if ANY of our first choice players were unavailable then we looked significantly weaker (if that''s possible) but if the rumours are right and we sign either Bell and /or McDonald would Russell still be a starter?

OTBC

[quote user="archer4721"]

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]There seems a lot of indifference amoungst City fans about the possibility of losing Russell, which is surprising really considering he came third in our Player of the Season vote![/quote]

3rd during a season when we missed relegation by one game. Nothing to write home about. Was missing in action for large parts of the season.

Average champ player.

[/quote]  Ya having a laugh or what?!                            - We certainly missed him when he was suspended for 5 games. Russells qualities are his tenacity, strength and battling ability which stops the other team playing. In fact he a player who you know even if hes having a bad game will always get stuck so to say the opposite is ludicrous. Selling the 10 good games a season (if that!), can''t be arsed half the time Etuhu for an over inflated price and replacing him with Russell whos better and cost less was one of the few good moves Peter Grant made while at the club. If Russell was to leave we''d have a massive gap to fill in the middle. One of the Divisions better midfielders!

Average or not, we can ill afford to lose anyone at the moment!

[quote user="Canaries87"]

if the rumours are right and we sign either Bell and /or McDonald would Russell still be a starter?

[/quote]

Dunno, as I haven''t seen either in action in a City shirt (or anything else either) that''s an impossible one to call.  If we get them, and if they are as good as you think, then that would be great news and who knows, perhaps the supposedly average Russell would be motivated and get better?  Too often we big up new players before we have seen them and then get disappointed while not giving our own committed players enough credit.

I''m not sure how good either of them are because I haven''t seen them play much either, I was purely working on the assumption that Roeder would want to bring in players he wants in his starting line up. You''re spot on with the point about new players though. Personally I think Russell will start in CM and Roeder will look to sign a more creative player to play along side him. Which i think would be a good mix, question is who can we get?

OTBC

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]Considering how "average" he is, we didnt half miss him in those games when he was banned and things were not going our way [:S][/quote]

Exactly. He was suspended for 5 games and sent off in 2 others out of that 8/9 games run in Feb/March. Besides if we sell him it is another new player we would have to get in. Unless we are talking £1M plus I wouldn''t sell and I can''t see Burnley paying that kind of money.