Sign in to follow this  
Andy Larkin

Jermaine Beckford

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

[quote user="andy larkin"]Having watched a totally ineffective Jermaine Beckford in t''ut Play Off Final, can anyone explain to me why some people on here think he would be a good signing… no close control, poor touch and a bit headless. Can''t see what all the fuss is about myself…[/quote]

Should fit in nicely then.

[/quote]6ft 2in goal machine with no first touch and close control - sounds perfect for rough and tumble of champs.  becksy sounds similar to miller of w.brom this season and lita of reading  previous season, who both  helped their teams become champions.  so bring it on... i say the boy sounds taylor made for this league - get him here double quick - all we need is a good winger to supply him with the ammo (hucks??? doh!!!) and top spot is ours><?  defo worth a punt imo!!!

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Steve Burns"]

[quote user="andy larkin"]Having watched a totally ineffective Jermaine Beckford in t''ut Play Off Final, can anyone explain to me why some people on here think he would be a good signing… no close control, poor touch and a bit headless. Can''t see what all the fuss is about myself…[/quote]

[/quote]

6ft 2in goal machine with no first touch and close control - sounds perfect for rough and tumble of champs.  becksy sounds similar to miller of w.brom this season and lita of reading  previous season, who both  helped their teams become champions.  so bring it on...

i say the boy sounds taylor made for this league - get him here double quick - all we need is a good winger to supply him with the ammo (hucks??? doh!!!) and top spot is ours><? 

defo worth a punt imo!!!

[/quote]

Why are you shouting?

[quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Steve Burns"]

[/quote]

6ft 2in goal machine with no first touch and close control - sounds perfect for rough and tumble of champs.  becksy sounds similar to miller of w.brom this season and lita of reading  previous season, who both  helped their teams become champions.  so bring it on...

i say the boy sounds taylor made for this league - get him here double quick - all we need is a good winger to supply him with the ammo (hucks??? doh!!!) and top spot is ours><? 

defo worth a punt imo!!!

[/quote]

Seriously have you watched him play? Hes no Ishaml Miller mate, he may score a few but hes nowhere near worth the money.

I have seen him 3 times this season on TV and he is pathetic. No vision or control and greedy.If we sign him, I will be devastated!!!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="lucky green trainers"][quote user="Steve Burns"]

[/quote]6ft 2in goal machine with no first touch and close control - sounds perfect for rough and tumble of champs.  becksy sounds similar to miller of w.brom this season and lita of reading  previous season, who both  helped their teams become champions.  so bring it on...i say the boy sounds taylor made for this league - get him here double quick - all we need is a good winger to supply him with the ammo (hucks??? doh!!!) and top spot is ours><?  defo worth a punt imo!!![/quote]

Seriously have you watched him play? Hes no Ishaml Miller mate, he may score a few but hes nowhere near worth the money.

[/quote]no arthur tbh i''ve not seen the boy - but my argument is that like miller and lita, becks is a tall raw boned  power player with a nose for goal.  we''ve lacked a goal scorer - all i''m saying is he could be the answer.  as for miller -  as w8wba  has said -  he played some shockers for WBA last term, but despite looking like crud - he could still pop up during the match with a momentof power and pace and put the ball in the ole onion sack - and thats what counts.  he''s ideal for this league???

[quote user="Snakepit boys"] I have seen him 3 times this season on TV and he is pathetic. No vision or control and greedy.

If we sign him, I will be devastated!!!
[/quote]

well i think devastated is a bit over the top lol i think there are better players available out there but i surpose hed get more goals than what weve got at the moment

I''m not saying he will set the world alight, but I agree with some off the comparisons with people like Lita, not great player’s technique wise, but pace is a big factor in the championship. Yes! Signing players from lower leagues is always a risk and there are plenty of examples of players who fail to make the step up. There are however many success stories, Leon Mckenzie for example was a good player for us IMO (I know his career has gone downhill since, but still a great couple of seasons and we sold him for a fair price.) At the end of the day it all comes down to the cost. It''s public knowledge that his price will be inflated due to his statistics this season. If we can get him for a good price I say jump at the deal, but if we were to get drawn into a bidding war (which seems likely) then I wouldn''t risk paying a big proportion of our budget on him.

OTBC

It would be a definite yes from me if the price is ok, c£1m or thereabouts - he''s a big guy, knows where the goal is and would be ideal replacement for DD.  If it is indeed true that Reading, QPR and the Binners are after him he must have something about him.  

At the end of the day if GR is trying to buy him the chances are he has had him closely watched and knows what he is about whereas most of us will have seen him very occasionally if at all.  He would surely not be in the League 1 team of the year if he was as poor as some are suggesting.

Of course we want to get Prem quality players like Ched in, but we could also do pretty well picking up the best out of the lower divisions as well, if there is anything out there.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

It would be a definite yes from me if the price is ok, c£1m or thereabouts - he''s a big guy, knows where the goal is and would be ideal replacement for DD.  If it is indeed true that Reading, QPR and the Binners are after him he must have something about him.  

At the end of the day if GR is trying to buy him the chances are he has had him closely watched and knows what he is about whereas most of us will have seen him very occasionally if at all.  He would surely not be in the League 1 team of the year if he was as poor as some are suggesting.

Of course we want to get Prem quality players like Ched in, but we could also do pretty well picking up the best out of the lower divisions as well, if there is anything out there.

[/quote]

yes very good point. from what you have just said i would now say yes give him a go. before i was a bit unsure about him. but to be honest i think GR knows a hell of alot about football and he can see a good player if there eva is one e.g ched, taylor, bertrand so i would trust any of the transfers we are likely to see this summer and give the bloke a chance.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

yes very good point. from what you have just said i would now say yes give him a go. before i was a bit unsure about him. but to be honest i think GR knows a hell of alot about football and he can see a good player if there eva is one e.g ched, taylor, bertrand so i would trust any of the transfers we are likely to see this summer and give the bloke a chance.

I''ll start here by admitting that I do have a vested interest, as Wealdstone are my second team. They have a 20%+ sell on clause on Jermaine – he was sold for £50,000 to Leeds from the Stones. Personally speaking I hope he is transferred for a good fee, which will be great for the Stones.Beckford is not the rubbish as some posters would have us believe. Yes, he had a bad game on at Wembley in the playoff final, but he’s scored plenty of goals in League 1 (30 in the last two years).Two years ago he was playing in the Ryman Premier League, and scoring for fun. He struggled to make the adjustment at Leeds, went to Carlisle struggled there and then found his feet at Scunthorpe.He’s scored some excellent goals this year and some equally as good goals at Scunthorpe. He’s an great athlete, very quick and good in the air, and got two decent feet. He has spent a few years in non-league which can''t have helped his football education. He''s got real instinctive talent, buy how quickly he comes to terms with Championship football (either at Norwich or elsewhere) is the key. Is he worth the fee that is potentially being asked for him?. But what fee? Who knows? He may have reached his level at League 1, but whoever pays the fee, which will be at a premium as he is the top scoring striker who was not with a promoted team, will be taking a risk on him. A comparison here is DJ Campbell who came from Yeading, (to Brentford, Birmingham and now at Leicester) who at the time were in the same league as Wealdstone and he seems to have peaked at the same level.I’ve seen him play for the Stones at least 50 times over the years he was there, and he was in a different class.I believe that he wants to go for a fee which will benefit the Stones and does not want to run his contract down and go on a free, if what I read on mail lists and bulletin boards are correct.