Sign in to follow this  
Gentleman Jim

Canaries agree friendly with Gorleston..........

I was thinking about you Jim when I saw the friendly announced. What I want to know is whether this would merit your "weekly nap" and, if so, which team are you picking for the win?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I was thinking about you Jim when I saw the friendly announced. What I want to know is whether this would merit your "weekly nap" and, if so, which team are you picking for the win?

[/quote]

Well Yankee I must admit my loyalties are somewhat divided, but as I know a young man who is a regular in the Gorleston team I will be swayed towards him having some success as I know it would mean a lot to him. Anyway I hope they do better than Lowestoft did against City last year.

I will toddle off down the road to see the match on the day, but won''t get there too early just in case GR has to draw on spectators  to make a full team.ha ha !

My "nap" would be on the weather, probably pour with rain as it did when City played pre-season at Yarmouth three years back. I got absolutely drenched that day.

another mighty team to pit our wits against the mighty gorleston along with those world beaters dereham!! when will the lowwestoft and norwich utd friendlies be announced? we have chosen some poor opposition, other than spurs of course, for this years friendlies, surely we could have played better teams?

[quote user="baldyboy"]another mighty team to pit our wits against the mighty gorleston along with those world beaters dereham!! when will the lowwestoft and norwich utd friendlies be announced? we have chosen some poor opposition, other than spurs of course, for this years friendlies, surely we could have played better teams?[/quote]

I think you will find they don''t pick these teams for the quality of the opposition but more to benefit the finances of the local non-league clubs.

Surely a good thing don''t you think baldyboy ?

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

[quote user="baldyboy"]another mighty team to pit our wits against the mighty gorleston along with those world beaters dereham!! when will the lowwestoft and norwich utd friendlies be announced? we have chosen some poor opposition, other than spurs of course, for this years friendlies, surely we could have played better teams?[/quote]

I think you will find they don''t pick these teams for the quality of the opposition but more to benefit the finances of the local non-league clubs.

[/quote]

I think it''s a good thing, and I should think that a lot of Gorleston''s support are also Canary fans. To be perfectly honest, I think these games will provide better entertainment than the Spurs game.....and give the host''s (as Jim said), some welcome dosh for the club.

I don''t really get ''excited'' till around October time, as that''s usually the ''benchmark'' to what we might realistically achieve that season. At this moment in time, I''d be surprised if, when we play Gorleston - we have sufficient ''acquired'' professionals in the squad, for fans to have a look at - and make an initial opinion on.

Glenn Roeder will take his Canaries to Emerald Park as part of the Ridgeons League Division One Club''s 125th anniversary celebrations.

I agree with just about everything Mello posted except my optimistic nature makes me more hopeful about the amount of professionals we will have ''acquired'' by the middle of July. I won''t be going to the Spurs game but I am often tempted to go  to these types of friendlies. But at the end of the day friendlies are ''exactly what it say''s on the tin'' and if you enjoy competetive football matches then you will come away disappointed whether it''s Gorleston or Inter Milan.

yes i appreciate its good for the local teams but come on we havent got any decent friendlies other than spurs. a mini tour to play unheard of swedish teams, local teams and colchester surely we should have some stiffer opposition? that was the point i was trying to make, if you are going to play local teams and we are playing at least 3 then surely we should have harder tour games?

[quote user="baldyboy"]yes i appreciate its good for the local teams but come on we havent got any decent friendlies other than spurs. a mini tour to play unheard of swedish teams, local teams and colchester surely we should have some stiffer opposition? that was the point i was trying to make, if you are going to play local teams and we are playing at least 3 then surely we should have harder tour games?[/quote]

Surely the Spurs game is just a game for the fans. And the club will probably make money although I''m not sure if they pay them to come. I''m sure friendlies against top European teams had to be paid for. The club will have made meoney though because of the amount of tickets we sell. I am never a fan of friendlies of any sort and they are never a barometer for the season to come. The results are meaningless. The better the team the less they try. The games are never played at anything like full pace and I always come away disappointed. I don''t think it matters a jot who we play.

I hope my best mate gets to play in goal against norwich (to be honest with cureton upfront he might have an easy game). I''m a gorleston lad so I dunno who I''d support.

[quote user="Fellas"]I hope my best mate gets to play in goal against norwich (to be honest with cureton upfront he might have an easy game). I''m a gorleston lad so I dunno who I''d support.[/quote]I think when it comes to games like this ( sort of an inner-Norfolk friendly ) I won''t support one team over the other.  I shall just support the idea of it and enjoy it for both teams - if you see what I mean.  :)

There used to be at one period in time an inverse correlation between the quality of City''s pre-season results and the sort of season we had subsequently.

Consequently - and because I call Gorleston home - I shall be hoping for a clear victory for The Greens!

If it was scheduled for August, I would - whatever the result - take a bracing walk along the cliffs after, pick up an  ice cream at Della Spina, and head for the end of the pier to observe work on the new outer harbour before heading for a couple of pints.

But since its in June/July too bad, so bad, I won''t be there.

And yes Jim, Gorleston''s a classy place.

OTBC

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

[/quote]

Anyone that has played the game will be aware that pre season is about getting match time and improving your fitness levels. Opposition counts for nothing.

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

[/quote]

Anyone that has played the game will be aware that pre season is about getting match time and improving your fitness levels. Opposition counts for nothing.

[/quote]

And isn''t it a Gorleston anniversary? I think it will count for Gorleston but that''s just me.

If it helps Leicester City (of Blessed Memory) are away to Quorn in the Unibond League in their first friendly.

The only other thing I know about Quorn is that they make sausages which Ardee wouldn''t recognise but which one of my daughters thinks are quite nice.

Here''s a pre season friendly story from many, many years ago.  I played in goal for Reading (Third Division South, YAAAY!) in a PSF away to Wokingham Town.  There were no subs in those days.

At half time we were 4-0 up.  The Wokingham Town goalkeeper got injured just before half time and had to go off.

In those times, teams had "Utility Players" some of whom could play in goal if necessary.  Derek Redwood (Right Half) was one such in the Reading team.  But seriously everyone had someone who could play in goal other than the keeper.

As we sucked orange halves at HT Reading''s Manager said to me: "I''ve had a chat with their bloke and we''ve agreed you are in goal for them in the second half.  We''ve got Derek, so it wouldn''t be fair otherwise."

So I turned out for Wokingham in the second half.  I won, or lost, 6-0 depending on how you look at it or where I was coming from.

It''s a very funny business or it was then.