Sign in to follow this  
listen (formerly MG7)

Huckerby - where should he play next year?

Do people think he should be used as an out-and-out striker, or in the left wing role he''s been playing in recently?

I personally would say that we should play him in the left wing role, especially at home. Having only seen him a few times, due to being an exile, I can only go on what I''ve seen the few times I''ve been lucky enough to get to matches, or seeing games on Sky. I''m definitely interested to hear what others think, especially those who have seen him at first hand more than I have.

Here''s my reasoning:

Playing up front, he receives the ball with his back to goal a lot. Good defenders in this division (and therefore the better ones in the Premiership) stop him from turning (see Reading), and he loses the ball a lot more, or at least, cannot run at them.

Playing left wing (nominally, he can support the front two when needed), he gets the ball to his feet, and can run at defenders, which is what he is best at (see Wigan). Having two players who will almost constantly be in or around the opposition box will give him more options. When he plays as a second striker, he has few options, and is often a long way away from his partner (see Reading again).

At home, especially against bottom half Premiership teams, we should definitely have him playing left wing, drifting in. We can takes teams on, with the backing of the crowd - and I know not many bottom-half teams will fancy coming to Carrow Road, knowing that they''ll be facing Leon, Hucks and Matty Svensson (whether or not we sign another striker).

Away from home, I feel it''s a different story. We may need to play him up front with one other player, or even play him left midfield, with one up front, and Mulryne coming into centre midfield alongside Francis, with Gary Holt sitting in front of the back four in a 4-1-4-1 formation.

Opinions?

OTBC

Until we see who else is going to play up front at the start of the season it is difficult to say where he should play. I think he is at his best out in the wide left position where he can run at defenders. The good thing is that he has the ability to do the same from the right side if necessary, and he isn''t too bad straight down the middle.

The thing about Huckerby is you just can`t place him !! ...... they seek him there , they seek him here , they seek that damned elusive Huckerby .........everywhere ROFL ...........I think he is aching to get at it in the prem !! ........ I say ........ let him have his head :o)

for me down the left, though as has been said, it all depends on who is upfront and the standard of opposition and likely tactics

but as worthy seems to think hucks should have a free role to do as he wishes, i expect we will see him playing to his undoubted strengths in every match, and it is going to be great, to those of you who doubt his ability, remember he has so much to prove and this hungry and immensely talented footballer will be a successful one, there is nothing like having a point to prove to certain managers (and the media) to give hucks (and some of the others) that extra strength and determination next year

not only will his goals be valuable, his skill at getting past defenders and finding something out of nothing (which won us loads of points this season) will really mean something next year in the prem - i have no doubts that he will shine, he is quality

I have to agree with you both, sheded and gazza, but the simple answer to the title of this thread is Norwich! As long as he''s wearing the yellow and green (or mint humbug variant) I don''t mind where exactly he is on the pitch. That bit''s up to Worthy. Just let him go and then, as Russell Crowe once said, "unleash hell!"

don''t know if this has already gone or not cos page couldn''t be displayed, etc!!!

I agree that hucks is at his best playing on the left but it could leave us stranded if he goes on a run and they then catch us on the break!! what do you think?

I don''t personally think we will see him on the left too much next year, just because it exposes the Drury more than if you play a regular midfielder. I think we will see it as a tactical change and a few times at home but I feel Worthy will want to try and keep things tight in midfield in most games.

Was anyone else really impressed when jim brennan played on the left hand side. Gave real shape to the team which would be crucial in the prem was awesome defensively and combined well with hucks going forward down the left hand side!surely sir darren should be played up front next season!

Another gazza post I agree with today!

There''s nothing like being told you are unwanted/useless by a former club to make you turn round and want to stick two fingers up at all those doubters.

Just look at how many players score against their previous clubs....

Hucks will need no motivation next season to prove people wrong - and I for one will delight in him ramming those accusations back down peoples throats for us next season.

Just let him play - he''ll do the job for us.