Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Lappin nets again...

Motherwell are two up now.

Simon Lappin is a player i admired when he came here, deadly accuracy and very, very good at set pieces.... isn''t that something we need?

Delivery-wise, a perfect player to replace Huckerby down the left. He can also play central and as a left back. Surely warrents a place in the squad, but would he be on your teamsheet?Explain why as well.

For me, if he played like he has been for Motherwell, then yes, he warrents a place in my squad. He has a good delivery from both open play and set pieces and would be a good asset to the club. He is a good squad player and can pass the ball well and combined well with Fotheringham down the left when he was playing here. I''d definitely have him in my 11 personally.How about you?

He''d be on my bench at least. If he was to play, please not at LB. He isn''t a LB. I''m still convinced he has more to offer and his set-pieces and crossing have been missed in my opinion.

Technically a good player but not strong enough for the championship, a good fart would blow him over.

Don''t be silly aj, why would we want a proven and respected left sided midfielder from the spl when we can sign up mr eagle instead!

Seriously though, i''ve always liked lappin and always maintained he could do a job for us. If Roeder doesn''t keep him he''s a bigger fool than he is already starting so look with his rebuilding to date. He signed up Eagle on the basis he had a sweet left foot and that was a rare commodity. Yes it is Glenn but it''s no use when it''s on the end of a kid who has shown no more prospects than the likes of jarvis junior and spillane who he has let go. And you have a sweeter still left foot on lappin who is 100 times more developed and proven as a player. I don''t understand his logic, i really don''t. No decision has been made though it seems so lets hope he still has time to come to his senses.

[quote user="AJ"]Motherwell are two up now.

Simon Lappin is a player i admired when he came here, deadly accuracy and very, very good at set pieces.... isn''t that something we need?

Delivery-wise, a perfect player to replace Huckerby down the left. He can also play central and as a left back. Surely warrents a place in the squad, but would he be on your teamsheet?

Explain why as well.

For me, if he played like he has been for Motherwell, then yes, he warrents a place in my squad. He has a good delivery from both open play and set pieces and would be a good asset to the club. He is a good squad player and can pass the ball well and combined well with Fotheringham down the left when he was playing here. I''d definitely have him in my 11 personally.

How about you?
[/quote]

Perhaps the lad has just found a team he is happy with and in which he fits in?  I am sure we have all seen it - many times.  A player who has not made it with his original team but who moves to another and it begins to click.  Sometimes they leave our club and play better and sometimes they leave another club and come to *us* and play better?

After all, even Mr Huckerby failed his trials with Notts Forest/County before the hapless Lincoln City saw something they didn''t and gave him his chance.

According to a couple of Scottish papers, Motherwell are hoping to keep him and perhaps that might be best for him?

[quote user="a1canary"]Don''t be silly aj, why would we want a proven and respected left sided midfielder from the spl when we can sign up mr eagle instead!

Seriously though, i''ve always liked lappin and always maintained he could do a job for us. If Roeder doesn''t keep him he''s a bigger fool than he is already starting so look with his rebuilding to date. He signed up Eagle on the basis he had a sweet left foot and that was a rare commodity. Yes it is Glenn but it''s no use when it''s on the end of a kid who has shown no more prospects than the likes of jarvis junior and spillane who he has let go. And you have a sweeter still left foot on lappin who is 100 times more developed and proven as a player. I don''t understand his logic, i really don''t. No decision has been made though it seems so lets hope he still has time to come to his senses.[/quote]I wouldn''t go that far with the Roeder abuse, but I rate Lappin. Yes he''s lightweight (though he didn''t let Ipswich bully him), and not particularly quick (though not slow either), but he has important attributes. Why he went in Roeder''s rehearsal for last week''s "The Night Of The Long Kitchen Knives" when the other dross got off scot-free I don''t know.

[quote user="camuldonum"]

[quote user="AJ"]

[/quote]

I am sure we have all seen it - many times.  A player who has not made it with his original team but who moves to another and it begins to click. Motherwell are hoping to keep him and perhaps that might be best for him?

[/quote]

Camul - not sure if you''ve seen this lad play but he was given a VERY raw deal by Roeder IMHO. He was doing alright until the Plymouth game when the whole team failed to turn up. Whilst not the best ever to wear the yellow and green I liked his style from the start - neat and elegamt play which I find attractive to watch. He always said he wanted to play left midfield but was forced to play left back and then discarded when his weaknesses there showed. I''ve sung his praises before here because I think he was sentenced without a fair trial - literally. He probably started half the games Crofty did but scored more goals this season - even without his Motherwell record (which includes one against Celtic) - and while playing out of position at left back for most of them!! He has recently stated that he wants to return and play for Norwich (I give him a tick for that) and he has another year to run on his contract - so what do we have to lose if we''re paying his wages? Unless players start flocking in he would be a very useful squad player and given a fair run I think he could make the starting line up (cracking goal from a set piece against Luton the season before last).

I know some on here dismiss him out of hand - (but then we all see different games -some here raved over Velasco''s debut after the Watford game yet he was skinned alive in the first half and his failings were evident for all in his next game) but given where we are at the moment, my opinion of GR will fall further if he doesn''t have Lappin back at least for a few months to watch. We have a midfield which runs and runs, huffs and puffs - but now that (sshhh!) Huckerby has gone, we are somewhat short on creativity. Thanks for posting AJ - I occasionally had a look at the ''Well  web site to glean news - would be good to hear from their fans.

[quote user="a1canary"]Don''t be silly aj, why would we want a proven and respected left sided midfielder from the spl when we can sign up mr eagle instead! Seriously though, i''ve always liked lappin and always maintained he could do a job for us. If Roeder doesn''t keep him he''s a bigger fool than he is already starting so look with his rebuilding to date. He signed up Eagle on the basis he had a sweet left foot and that was a rare commodity. Yes it is Glenn but it''s no use when it''s on the end of a kid who has shown no more prospects than the likes of jarvis junior and spillane who he has let go. And you have a sweeter still left foot on lappin who is 100 times more developed and proven as a player. I don''t understand his logic, i really don''t. No decision has been made though it seems so lets hope he still has time to come to his senses.[/quote]

yes hes not a bad player but hes hardly proven is he.

Not good enough for the championship. SPL is a totally different league i''m afraid. I would keep him as a squad man, but purely due to our lack of numbers. I would be disappointed to see him in the team come august.

Och, I dinna kin what McGrant got him for, but if Motherwell offer the same to take him permanently, we should bite their hand off. He''s no more than OK at Championship level, and certainly not what''s needed if we are going to be seriously pushing towards playoffs next season. Why keep ''Squad players''. Isn''t it better to get a rough young gem from the lower leagues, or academy products as the squad players? At least then we have potential to make profit if they do prove to be hit. We know Lappin well enough to know he doesn''t really cut the mustard in the Chumpionship, and should get rid while he has a few headlines in Jockland.

[quote user="Big Dave"]Och, I dinna kin what McGrant got him for, but if Motherwell offer the same to take him permanently, we should bite their hand off. He''s no more than OK at Championship level, and certainly not what''s needed if we are going to be seriously pushing towards playoffs next season. Why keep ''Squad players''. Isn''t it better to get a rough young gem from the lower leagues, or academy products as the squad players? At least then we have potential to make profit if they do prove to be hit. We know Lappin well enough to know he doesn''t really cut the mustard in the Chumpionship, and should get rid while he has a few headlines in Jockland.[/quote]

We need squad players because we are in a very physical league and injury crises are a regular occurence.  We have had plenty since relegation although strangely enough, last season we were quite lucky with injuries yet still struggled badly.

Lappin is definately good enough as a squad player.  Surely if he wants to come back Roeder could give him a strong proviso that he has to bulk up and show more aggression in his play?

I don''t mind Lappin, but flicking between the two Scottish games last night, you can clearly see the standard is very poor, worse than the Championship I''d say. Neat and tidy little player but probably not good enough, agreed that he was made a scapegoat after one or two poor performances.

[quote user="Greenwich Canary"]I don''t mind Lappin, but flicking between the two Scottish games last night, you can clearly see the standard is very poor, worse than the Championship I''d say. Neat and tidy little player but probably not good enough, agreed that he was made a scapegoat after one or two poor performances.[/quote]Completely agree with you here Greenwich Canary, I was flicking between the Celtic and Rangers game last night and all I kept thinking was how slow the game was and the amount of time and space each player had on the ball.  For me Lappin is an average player who I wouldn''t have as a starter but would be a good squad player to come on as Sub or to fill in for injuries

The way I see it the problem with Lappin was that he was part of the overall problem we had last season in that we were not physically big and strong enough for this league. Our record of conceding twice as many as we scored from set plays bears this out. So Simon Lappin is a neat and tidy player who can pass, shoot and cross the ball better than most at the club but I''m sad to say that can be a luxury in todays Championship. Like Paul McVeigh before him he was a great player to have in the side if we were playing well and on top at Carrow Road but was of limited value if we were under a big physical onslaught away from home at the likes of Watford. We had too many players who couldn''t/wouldn''t compete physically when we were defending set pieces or attacking them. Hucks was one of them but that was ok by me if he was the only one because his value could be used in other areas but at times we had three or four in the team at once and that left us vulnerable, easier to defend against and too many soft targets to attack. Lappin isn''t lazy, he tries and is a very good footballer but is not suited to the present day championship. I don''t like it but it''s the league we are in so we have to lump it(pun not intended) and equip ourseleves to compete better.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Lappin isn''t lazy, he tries and is a very good footballer but is not suited to the present day championship. I don''t like it but it''s the league we are in so we have to lump it(pun not intended) and equip ourseleves to compete better.

[/quote]

Good post and fair comment Nutty - but I hope we don''t end up as hoofers like Watford. I''d rather watch the likes of Lappin and McVeigh than some of those barn door blockers. And of course no-one would try to fill a team with Lappinlikes - just that there is still room for one or two, especially if we have a poor record of dead ball situations and corners. In the end Roeder''s mind might just be swayed by the player, in so far as he may not wish to be shipped out again either permanently or on loan..

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The way I see it the problem with Lappin was that he was part of the overall problem we had last season in that we were not physically big and strong enough for this league. Our record of conceding twice as many as we scored from set plays bears this out. So Simon Lappin is a neat and tidy player who can pass, shoot and cross the ball better than most at the club but I''m sad to say that can be a luxury in todays Championship. Like Paul McVeigh before him he was a great player to have in the side if we were playing well and on top at Carrow Road but was of limited value if we were under a big physical onslaught away from home at the likes of Watford. We had too many players who couldn''t/wouldn''t compete physically when we were defending set pieces or attacking them. Hucks was one of them but that was ok by me if he was the only one because his value could be used in other areas but at times we had three or four in the team at once and that left us vulnerable, easier to defend against and too many soft targets to attack. Lappin isn''t lazy, he tries and is a very good footballer but is not suited to the present day championship. I don''t like it but it''s the league we are in so we have to lump it(pun not intended) and equip ourseleves to compete better.

[/quote]I must admit I didnt see too much of a problem with Lappin at Left Wing, however when he was reguarly at Left Back and Central Midfield, and the team was being switched about to accomodate him [:S] was where the real problem lies. I guess if Glenn has a left winger lined up and we can get a few hundred grand for him we may as well ship him out as Pattison can do a decent job at left wing as backup.

Lappins a decent player and would be good cover.. we seldom score from set peices so brining this to our game would be excellent!

Id have him back.. he''s not the worst player to have played for us by any means

jas :)

Not good enough a left back and too slow to be a left winger, seems a damming judgment given out onto Lappin. Must admit I haven''t seen him play myself so won''t comment on his qualities. But as we have such a small squad and he is playing regularly in a team who have qualified for European football there may be a future for him here yet, if he wants it.Reckon Roeder will have him back and take a look at him over the pre-season, unless there is already an agreement in place with Motherwell.Again it probably all depends on who we manage to buy/loan over the next few weeks.

I don''t understand why all wingers have to be fast. The best winger we''ve had in recent times (apart from hux) was probably good ol'' steeno who was by no means a whipet and probably makes lappin look fast. Personal opinion I guess.