Sign in to follow this  
ncfclad

Martin Taylor in talks with city

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Goal for column - well below average last season,  goals against column just below average last season,   goals against after roeder joined much much better than average - 22 of those 30 games with Doc and without taylor...  And we still failed to score.  

[/quote]

We played a horrifically defensive midfield for much of last season.  Russell, Pattison, Bertrand, Brellier, even Fozzy is a very sit back player.  But agreed we need a striker.  Should Doc walk away we need a couple of centre halfs too.

Taylor also was responisble for an OG going in during the Ipswich game.  A genuine threat at set peices, Doc and Shax are not.

[/quote]

Exactly, you never think there''s even a chance of the Doc or Shacks scoring from a corner or freekick. The Doc wins the header but never gets the power or placement required and Shackell is even worse. We''re badly need in need of at least 1 centreback with presence. But we''re more in need of at least 2 good strikers.

If true, and I suspect that Roeder is still after Taylor, then I wonder if this might affect the Doc''s willingness to sign a new contract.Saying that, personally I think our CB pairing next season will be Doc and Taylor

Well I won''t lose any sleep if Roeder signs Taylor and Donkerty goes, but on the subject of own goals three of our loan players managed one Camera   Taylor sorry forgot his name from Reading

[quote user="pete_norw"]Well I won''t lose any sleep if Roeder signs Taylor and Donkerty goes, but on the subject of own goals three of our loan players managed one Camera   Taylor sorry forgot his name from Reading[/quote]

Pearce?

Marshall

simpson (loan) man utd,  taylor , Davenport, bertrand,

sinclair (loan) chelsea, rusty, hendrie, etherington,

Evans   amaobi (loan)

I was wondering how long it would take until Davenport was mentioned!

Approximately 9 days...that was about 8 days later than I guessed.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

1 goal scored in 8 games but 12 conceeded.

1 striker worth the name in the squad and we want to spend £700k+ on a central defender when the budget is only expected/rumoured to be in the region of £3m??  Wrong amont of money on the wrong part of the team.

[/quote]

3 of them came at Plymouth after he had gone off injured and 5 of the others came in his first 2 games against Ipswich & Watford. Therefore, this mean 4 goals conceded in his last 5 once Roeder had got his other loanee''s in.

£700K for a centre half who could probably cut it in the prem if we managed to get there in the next year or so (long shot I know) - can you say the same for Doc & Shackell.......

As far as Taylor goes, you would think a new club and a fresh start might help him get over the (uncalled for) aggro from last season, and we do fit the bill nicely, as we''re a club that he would be welcomed at with open arms. 

Anyone who doubts that we were better with him in the side is, imo, just on a wind-up - if nothing more, we at least looked as though we might score from set pieces with him in the side. 

I did wonder whether the possibility of signing Taylor was in the mind of GR when they were offering Doc his new contract: if we do indeed have Tiny in the bag, perhaps Doc''s offer wasn''t quite what it might have otherwise been?  All conjecture, I know, but there could be something in it. 

I do question whether Taylor is that much better than what we have. Yes Taylor did conceed 8 in his first three games, and then only 4 in the next 5. Even taking just the best bits of Taylor (those last 5 games) it is not much better than Shacks or Doc.  And his player ratings at the time did not mark him out as much much better than our current pair.  In those the latter games Taylor also benefited from the same midfield re-shaping Roeder implemented used to belittle the subsequent performance of the Shackell/Doc partnership,  of something like 23 goals in 24 games once Taylor left.  

Of course we need central defender cover, just as we did all of last season in fact,  and Taylor would be a great addition to the squad if we have the budget.  £700k is not a lot but is he really worth say a third of our transfer budget when the squad has bigger holes in it elsewhere? If money was no object then snap him up at that price.

It all depends on the size of our budget.  If it is as tight as most are suggesting then my priorities would be to spend the largest proportion of our budget on the weakest part of the team.   Last season that was clearly the attack - and since the season has finished two of the three strikers forming the core of our attack have left the club.

I am not on a wind up here - just sharing my view and trying to debate where it would be best to spend what is likely to be a budget that is never going to be big enough for the large scale of incoming players needed to compete next season... 

You make some great points, ZLF: but I think we should look at the squad as a whole. Do we need another CB? Yes. Would Martin Taylor add to the squad? Yes.

For those reasons, I''d have him back here in a heart beat.

£700k for a defender with height and defensive nous seems a decent deal - but one does have to wonder which Taylor we would end up getting... Would it be the one that we all know and love..? Or would it be the one deeply affected by the Eduardo incident and therefore a shadow of what he has been..? Or somewhere in between..?

I agree with ZLF in most respects, but I think there is one crucial difference.Goals.A defender who can weigh in with the occasional goal is an invaluable asset, apart from anything else, it has a demoralizing effect on the opposition - one more thing to worry about. They are often crucial goals in tight matches as well.Unfortunately I also share Anderz''s concern about his state of mind.

I think Taylor will be just fine here.  Away from the Prem for a bit and being on of the key man in a small squad will do him wonders.  DO I think we looked a better team with him in it, yes, definately.  Why, because he gives us a physical presence that Doc and Shackell just cant manage.  For that reason alone I would take him in a heartbeat.  Strikers and wingers can be loanees and I am not sure matters greatly, but defenders and defensive units need to be solid, permanent and settled. 

[quote user="jiggarob"]

Marshall

simpson (loan) man utd,  taylor , Davenport, bertrand,

sinclair (loan) chelsea, rusty, hendrie, etherington,

Evans   amaobi (loan)

[/quote]

simpson goes on loan it will be to club such as derby, sheffutd

manutd probably keep him as rumours spreading that gary neville may retire and if not he will next season

davenport dont see fansination, possible signing! but if that good player some one would of signed the lad by now something doesnt add up to me with this bloke

sinclair - v.doubtful, will be loaned out but there be few higher teams than norwich going in for him! norwich have to be quick and impressive in trying to secure deal for him

ameobi - did squat for stoke, over rated and ego to fill carrow road, you''d be better of signing mclean or vokes in my opinion

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I am not on a wind up here - just sharing my view and trying to debate where it would be best to spend what is likely to be a budget that is never going to be big enough for the large scale of incoming players needed to compete next season... [/quote]

If you think we are going to get promoted with a central defensive pairing of Doherty and Shackell I think you are seriously deluded ZLF.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I am not on a wind up here - just sharing my view and trying to debate where it would be best to spend what is likely to be a budget that is never going to be big enough for the large scale of incoming players needed to compete next season... [/quote]

If you think we are going to get promoted with a central defensive pairing of Doherty and Shackell I think you are seriously deluded ZLF.

[/quote]

Promoted????? I don''t think we''re even entertaining the idea of promotion. Large scale rebuild means exactly that, rebuilding on a large scale. I will be bloody happy if we play some great football, win some games well, lose with dignity rather than the usual 0-4 drubbing no-shows and finish somewhere above mid-table.

If we do that then it shows Glenn is on the right track, and we can challenge for a realistic promotion in the following season / 2 seasons.

No doubt I''ll be flamed for "deserving exactly what I get" but I couldn''t give a rats. Has anyone noticed how bad things nearly were last season?? Promotion is the last thing on my mind. Plus the Prem sucks - 16 teams trying not to finish below 17th. Boring.

From what i have heard from my usually reliable sources in the Midlands Taylor is not leaving Brum this summer.

to be honest i dont think anyone really knows whats going on. Obviously apart from those involved. I hope we do get him but i surpose we''ll have to wait and see. I think Roeder is capable of getting some good players in but who is the question

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

Strikers win promotion, not defenders - look at Leicesters defensive unit this season,  and in our champs season we were conceeding goals at a faster rate per game than any of the previous 6 seasons UNTIL we signed hux, crouch and harper.   It was only AFTER we signed them at the Oct international break that the unchanged back 4 of Eddie FlemMackay and Drury protected by an unchanged Francis and Holt began look anything like secure.  Huckerby remains the greatest defensive signing we have made in a decade. 

Can we win promotion with Doc and shax?  Unliklely I agree and a taylor might help,   quality strikers will make a real difference.

As I said before we need quality in all areas of the pitch,  defence midfield and attack - but strikers is where we are weakest. 

I really admire the loan furrow you are ploughing here, ZLF. I certainly thought Taylor was overpriced at a million, but I think 700k looks decent business.Love the comment about Hucks being our best defensive signing in a decade. I wonder whether Adam Drury would agree with you.

Hope this is true but I''ll believe it when it actually happens!

Whos the t**T who suggests that signing Taylor wouldn''t be right!!!!?

Should of been signed in January and we need more than Doc and Shacks to call upon in central defence!

No need for that Scott.  The bloke is merely arguing that we need to spend money up front, and that if that has to happen at the expense of the defense then so be it.  I personally think he is wrong but it is a fair and valid opinion none the less.

[quote user="jimmy500"]No need for that Scott.  The bloke is merely arguing that we need to spend money up front, and that if that has to happen at the expense of the defense then so be it.  I personally think he is wrong but it is a fair and valid opinion none the less.[/quote]

I think you need both attributes if you want promotion - of course you need strikers to put away your goals but you also need a sound midfield/defence to shut out the opposition when they come back at you.  Over the years I have come to the conclusion that''s the only way to do it.  All the strongest promotion teams I have seen over the years mostly had the ability to score one or two and then effectively shut the game down.

Cheers scott - that made my day - its been a couple of weeks since anyone called me that!

Read the posts again Taylor at £700k would be a good signing for us but as J500 graciously points out I just happen to think that our squad last year and at the moment is far weaker up front than our defence and so our spending should reflect that.   Yes we need more and better central defenders,  just as we do strikers and midfielders. 

[quote user="me"]£700,000 + add ons announcement Thursday
[/quote]

So it looks like today is the day that we find out if this information is bogus or not

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

1 goal scored in 8 games but 12 conceeded.

1 striker worth the name in the squad and we want to spend £700k+ on a central defender when the budget is only expected/rumoured to be in the region of £3m??  Wrong amont of money on the wrong part of the team.

[/quote]

????? Are you sure ?????  Only 2 central defenders at the club, one who may go very soon, and you don''t think we need another one, with premiership experience?  Glad you''re not in charge of building the team.