Sign in to follow this  
Camuldonum

Blimey!

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

Roeder said he was joining one of the top 25 clubs in the country when he came to us, and I happen to agree with him on that.  In attendance terms we are in fact in the top 20.

As a top 25 club, we should at least be aiming to be making the play offs, and I reckon that nearly every Norwich fan would settle for that, what we do not expect is consistently finishing in the lower level of the Championship.

ps - As an Essex boy myself and being in the crowd at Layer Rd for that famous 3 -2 win over "dirty Leeds" as a gobsmacked 11 year old, it is always nice to have a Col U fan such as yourself on the Board.

[/quote]

You''ve got to give your Manager a chance.  None of us have any idea whether he''s going to make a success of it or not but whether you like him or not, or his ways, my bet is that you''ll forgive him if you start zooming up the table.  If you look at it he needs to prove himself as well and kill off his Second Season Syndrome.  He did say that your club "will not recognise" the team after this Summer. My hunch is that you are going to start doing a lot better.

He was a hard b****r as a player - although always 100 per cent - so it''s probably unrealistic to expect him to be Mr Softie as a Manager. 

Re the Leeds game: yes, an unforgettable occasion.  I was there.  There were people in tears around me.....funny old game football, that,  as one of your posters signs: The game is 90 minutes, the ball is round, can engender such emotions among grown men (and women).

Or on Message Boards come to think of it............but let''s end on a Percy Positive note: I guess you lot only get that worked up because you care about your club. 

But, please, PACE yourselves.  You''ve a long way to go yet!

Camuldonum - I remember the Leeds game from back in 71 but I also remember the Watney Cup from the following summer. The games were shown live on TV which was a real rarity back in the day. They also piloted a new offside rule where, if I remember correctly, players could only be offside inside their opponents penalty area. Am I right in thinking your team were the first to win a trophy on penalty kicks?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Camuldonum - I remember the Leeds game from back in 71 but I also remember the Watney Cup from the following summer. The games were shown live on TV which was a real rarity back in the day. They also piloted a new offside rule where, if I remember correctly, players could only be offside inside their opponents penalty area. Am I right in thinking your team were the first to win a trophy on penalty kicks?

[/quote]

Can''t remember a trophy win on penalties, but this may just be old age.  We were involved in the first FA Cup matches to be decided on penalties.  I think we lost to Exeter after two 0-0 games - the first season they avoided having a second replay by using this method.

Glad to see Exeter  back in the League by the way.

[quote user="camuldonum"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Can''t remember a trophy win on penalties, but this may just be old age.  We were involved in the first FA Cup matches to be decided on penalties.  I think we lost to Exeter after two 0-0 games - the first season they avoided having a second replay by using this method.

Glad to see Exeter  back in the League by the way.

[/quote]

Here''s a trip down memory lane for you then [Y]

The first ever penalty shoot out in England was in the Hull City V Man. Utd. Watney cup tie in 1970. The first succesful penalty was scored by George Best and the first to miss was Denis Law! But in 1971 The Watney Cup Final was between Colchester and WBA and it was decided on penalty kicks so I''m guessing that you were in fact the first team to win a trophy in that way.

I found this for ya [8-|] :-

I''m not including the Watney Cup Final in 1971 which the U''s won on a penalty shoot-out after a 4-4 draw! The Watney Cup was a prestigious pre-season Cup competition to be played between the Division''s two highest goal scorers who had not been promoted the previous season. United had seen off Luton and Carlisle in front of a combined attendance of over 16,000 - a figure described as disappointing by the U''s Board!

Over 18,000 and a live TV audience of 12 million (the match was commentated on by Barry Davies who described it as one of the best matches ever seen in the country) watched as the two sides slugged it out with the novelty rule of not being offside unless you were in the penalty area. Mick Mahon put the U''s ahead, Len Cantello and Jeff Astle put The Baggies 2-1 up. Dave Simmons was next on the score sheet before Hope restored the home side’s advantage. Mahon restored parity midway through the second half and when Lewis scored from the spot it looked as though the U''s would win. However, they reckoned without a last gasp Jeff Astle goal meant the game would be settled by a penalty shoot-out, the first time this would happen in England. Each side took eight penalties - Ray Wilson and Cantello would miss for the home side while Jim Cumbes saved from Bobby Cram - which left 17 year old Phil Bloss with the task of winning the match. He duly converted his penalty and the U''s had secured a famous victory.

The U''s side that day was Graham Smith in goal, Bobby Cram, Brian Owen, John Gilchrist, Brian Garvey, Eric Burgess, Phil Bloss, Brian Lewis, Dave Simmons, Mick Mahon and Brian Gibbs. The Baggies team was Jim Cumbes, Lyndon Hughes, Ray Wilson, Len Cantello, John Wile, John Kaye, Colin Suggett, Ally Brown, Jeff Astle, Bobby Hope and Asa Hartford.

Colin Suggett[*] and Asa Hartford both later played for us.

[quote user="Old Boy"]Hang on one gosh-darned minute, camul - we''re the best fans in the world. We know that because we''ve told ourselves that we are - often. We''ve also told ourselves that we deserve to be a Premier League club, that we deserve to have a billionaire owner who can throw money at us until we''ve got that Premier League status, that a mere millionaire who invests a sizeable chunk of her money in a business that makes Northern Rock look like Fort Knox is beneath contempt, that we must sign every footballers that''s available (and quite a few that aren''t), and that whenever the team loses or plays badly the manager''s a f***ing st*p*d c*** who should be lynched. But we''ve paid our money so we can be as pig-ignorantly divisive as we want, and who cares if the Club suffers - it''s us fans that matter, cos we''re the best!
[/quote]

Roeder recently stated that he wanted "the responsibility of expecting promotion".  So it seems that he is siding with those fans with ambitious expectations does it not?

I''d forgotten all about the Watney Cup so thank you for that.  I missed those games because they were arranged at the very end of the season and we''d already booked a holiday!

It looks as if you are right and that we may have been the first trophy winners on penalties!

Thanks again for taking the trouble.  Looking at those teams it seems like light years away............

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="Old Boy"]Hang on one gosh-darned minute, camul - we''re the best fans in the world. We know that because we''ve told ourselves that we are - often. We''ve also told ourselves that we deserve to be a Premier League club, that we deserve to have a billionaire owner who can throw money at us until we''ve got that Premier League status, that a mere millionaire who invests a sizeable chunk of her money in a business that makes Northern Rock look like Fort Knox is beneath contempt, that we must sign every footballers that''s available (and quite a few that aren''t), and that whenever the team loses or plays badly the manager''s a f***ing st*p*d c*** who should be lynched. But we''ve paid our money so we can be as pig-ignorantly divisive as we want, and who cares if the Club suffers - it''s us fans that matter, cos we''re the best![/quote]

Roeder recently stated that he wanted "the responsibility of expecting promotion".  So it seems that he is siding with those fans with ambitious expectations does it not?

[/quote]Getting promoted is the easy part - we did that not too long ago. Being a "Premier League club" is a different thing entirely, and since we could last call ourselves that (more than ten years ago) it''s got ten times more difficult. At the moment, there are only 5 or 6 "Premier League clubs" - the others are hanging on by the skin of their teeth and could drop at any time. No club, or fan, "deserves" Premier League football - it needs to be worked for, by both the club and the fans. And sometimes even that isn''t enough - ask Madejski and Coppell.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]I LOVE NCFC BUT HATE THE FOOLS WHO ARE RUNNING IT INTO THE GROUND.[/quote]

40 football league teams have gone into administration in the last 15 years.  Norwich isn''t one of them.  So, given that our club is not one of the 55% of clubs who have ended up screwing over local businesses and the St Johns Ambulance, how do you come to the conclusion that the club is being run into the ground ?

[/quote]

Oh and also were the said clubs selling out every home game with 25,000 a week?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote]I LOVE NCFC BUT HATE THE FOOLS WHO ARE RUNNING IT INTO THE GROUND.[/quote]

40 football league teams have gone into administration in the last 15 years.  Norwich isn''t one of them.  So, given that our club is not one of the 55% of clubs who have ended up screwing over local businesses and the St Johns Ambulance, how do you come to the conclusion that the club is being run into the ground ?

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would hazard a guess that Ipswich were over 20,000 at the time of their administration, also Leicester, whose subsequent foreign-owned takeover has resulted in relegation.  Leeds were well over 25,000 for quite a while.  But everyone knows that they don''t count, because, well, it''s Leeds, isn''t it...

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would hazard a guess that Ipswich were over 20,000 at the time of their administration, also Leicester, whose subsequent foreign-owned takeover has resulted in relegation.  Leeds were well over 25,000 for quite a while.  But everyone knows that they don''t count, because, well, it''s Leeds, isn''t it...

[/quote]

So 3 out of 40?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

col u won 8 -7 if I remember rightly it was 4 -4 and col u won 4 -3 on penalties, it was the watney cup and it was against WBA

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"]

col u won 8 -7 if I remember rightly it was 4 -4 and col u won 4 -3 on penalties, it was the watney cup and it was against WBA

[/quote]

Yes that''s exactly what happened Barclay_Boy. If you remember the Watney Cup then maybe you can put me right aboiut something - In all the reports it states that players could only be offside in their opponents penalty area but I have a memory of a line drawn all the way across the pitch 18 yards from goal and players could be offside if they were over that line, not just in the penalty area.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]no, 3 out of the 10 that I could be bothered to remember.[/quote]

Nothing like facts to back up an argument then eh?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]no, 3 out of the 10 that I could be bothered to remember.[/quote]

[/quote]

I would argue that the onus is upon you to prove that the current incumbents are "ruining the club", in an economic climate where half of the clubs'' competitors have gone into administration in the last 15 years, would you agree ?

No, I thought not.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

I would argue that the onus is upon you to prove that the current incumbents are "ruining the club", in an economic climate where half of the clubs'' competitors have gone into administration in the last 15 years, would you agree ?

No, I thought not.

[/quote]

Why is it always the pro borders only argument is "prove it"? You prove otherwise because the last few seasons have "proved it".

[quote]

Why is it always the pro borders only argument is "prove it"? You prove otherwise because the last few seasons have "proved it".[/quote]

Arthur, let me make this pidgeon-simple for you.

You claimed that Auntie Delia and Uncle Mike are "ruining the club".  I ask you, how are they ruining the club, when they are running the club in a financially responsible manner ?

The poor performance has not been down to a lack of money - the recovery after Grant left proved that.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Why is it always the pro borders only argument is "prove it"?

[/quote]Yeah Blah, how dare you make Arthur "prove it". You and your facts, figures and statistics.........how dare you. The person who shouts the loudest wins..........end of story [:|]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]

Why is it always the pro borders only argument is "prove it"? You prove otherwise because the last few seasons have "proved it".[/quote]

Arthur, let me make this pidgeon-simple for you.

You claimed that Auntie Delia and Uncle Mike are "ruining the club".  I ask you, how are they ruining the club, when they are running the club in a financially responsible manner ?

The poor performance has not been down to a lack of money - the recovery after Grant left proved that.

[/quote]

Well the dept is the same and the football is much worse...............I''m no rocket scientist as you well know but,well i''ll let you figure!

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]Yeah Blah, how dare you make Arthur "prove it". You and your facts, figures and statistics.........how dare you. The person who shouts the loudest wins..........end of story [:|][/quote]Yeah, sorry Shack, don''t know what I was thinking.Need a mega-phone Whittle ?  Not sure you''re getting your point across...

[quote]Well the dept is the same and the football is much

worse...............I''m no rocket scientist as you well know but,well

i''ll let you figure![/quote]Oh, and if you''re going to compare something with something else, it usually helps if you can give some idea of the thing you''re comparing it to.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Well the dept is the same and the football is much worse...............I''m no rocket scientist as you well know but,well i''ll let you figure![/quote]

Oh, and if you''re going to compare something with something else, it usually helps if you can give some idea of the thing you''re comparing it to.
[/quote]

True to form Blah, keep you a cluthing those straws matey. Debt the same football worse....explain please.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

Yeah Blah, how dare you make Arthur "prove it". You and your facts, figures and statistics.........how dare you. The person who shouts the loudest wins..........end of story [:|]
[/quote]

Funny you say that shack. Everyone who has the sense not to be a chippy guardianist like yourself actually say the same about your lot and bearing in mind your lot are a minority i would suggest you back up some of your opinions yourself. Yet to ever see any ''facts stats or figures with a shread of prove from you.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]Yeah Blah, how dare you make Arthur "prove it". You and your facts, figures and statistics.........how dare you. The person who shouts the loudest wins..........end of story [:|][/quote]Yeah, sorry Shack, don''t know what I was thinking.Need a mega-phone Whittle ?  Not sure you''re getting your point across...[/quote]He''s back Blah.He''s basically standing right outside your house shouting obscenities now............fairly normal for Dereham then [;)]I can''t work out who he fancies most........you, me or Delia [:P]

[quote]

True to form Blah, keep you a cluthing those straws matey. Debt the same football worse....explain please.

[/quote]

The same as what, worse than what.

God - it''s like pulling teeth with a rusty chainsaw and vinegar.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]
He''s back Blah.

He''s basically standing right outside your house shouting obscenities now............fairly normal for Dereham then [;)]

I can''t work out who he fancies most........you, me or Delia [:P]
[/quote]

Normal for Dereham but a little early, usually 2 in the morning is good for that. 

It must be Delia.  Please tell me it''s Delia - although maybe he''s a pidgeon fancier on the quiet ?

I think the septuagenarian doth protest too much !

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

[/quote]

Yeah Blah, how dare you make Arthur "prove it". You and your facts, figures and statistics.........how dare you. The person who shouts the loudest wins..........end of story [:|]
[/quote]

Funny you say that shack. Everyone who has the sense not to be a chippy guardianist like yourself actually say the same about your lot and bearing in mind your lot are a minority i would suggest you back up some of your opinions yourself. Yet to ever see any ''facts stats or figures with a shread of prove from you.

[/quote]

Who exactly is ''your lot''??!  Lol. [:)]

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]Who exactly is ''your lot''??!  Lol. [:)][/quote]

You know, Them.

[/quote]

Just as I suspected. Bastards!!

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]Who exactly is ''your lot''??!  Lol. [:)][/quote]

You know, Them.

[/quote]

no need for silly buggers. Please explain why the debt is the same and the football is worse and then explain how i''m wrong in argueing that the club is going backwads under this board