Sign in to follow this  
Mazy Run

Doncaster - losing his memory or his mind?

I have just been reading Neil Doncaster''s latest apologia in the EDP. I can''t decide whether he has lost his memory or his mind. In drawing comparisons between Glenn''s clear-out and what Nigel Worthington did when he took over, he reminds us that Worthy got rid of Steve Walsh, Raymond De Waard and Fernando Derveld. The way Doncaster tells it this decision was ''roundly questioned by supporters'', who obviously came to see the wisdom of it later on. Does anyone else remember it like that? The way I remember it is that it was obvious that these three players were a mistake virtually as soon as they set foot on the pitch, and I doubt a single tear was shed when they left. I can''t see any parallel between then and now. Even Matt Jackson, the other example he cites, was no Darren Huckerby. 

I''m keeping an open mind on Glenn''s clear-out, as it all depends on the other side of the equation - what he brings in. But if Doncaster''s support for it is based around such a garbled recollection of the recent past, that has seriously shaken my faith in the man at the top.

OTBC

Jesus the guys gone insane.

Who on earth was against selling the likes of Walsh and Derveld?!

"The combination of football club heritage and musical acts on show was a concept that some found hard to grasp"

Yeah, I wonder why. Football club heritage and X factor singers, definite match there..

"When we spoke to local businessman Carl Moore in December 2003, he readily agreed to help meet the total financial cost of bringing Darren to Carrow Road on a permanent transfer from Manchester City and, in the process, making the football world sit up and take note."

Glad its come out, big hand to Carl Moore, whoever he may be. However wuldnt quite say we made the football world sit up and take note. Bit OTT? 

I totally agree......it''s a very poor article indeed.What blew me away is almost half of it is defending the ''Gratest ever event" which is now over - he protest too much I think :-)

I think he is more reffering to the fact Worthy gave Jackson a 2 year contract when he took over, then released him at the beginning of the next season.

[quote user="Mazy Run"]

I have just been reading Neil Doncaster''s latest apologia in the EDP. I can''t decide whether he has lost his memory or his mind. In drawing comparisons between Glenn''s clear-out and what Nigel Worthington did when he took over, he reminds us that Worthy got rid of Steve Walsh, Raymond De Waard and Fernando Derveld. The way Doncaster tells it this decision was ''roundly questioned by supporters'', who obviously came to see the wisdom of it later on. Does anyone else remember it like that? The way I remember it is that it was obvious that these three players were a mistake virtually as soon as they set foot on the pitch, and I doubt a single tear was shed when they left. I can''t see any parallel between then and now. Even Matt Jackson, the other example he cites, was no Darren Huckerby. 

I''m keeping an open mind on Glenn''s clear-out, as it all depends on the other side of the equation - what he brings in. But if Doncaster''s support for it is based around such a garbled recollection of the recent past, that has seriously shaken my faith in the man at the top.

OTBC

[/quote]

If I were him, I''d be flattered you still have some faith left to lose.  That ivory tower he lives in must be very high up indeed if he thinks anyone other than Steve Walsh complained when we let that overweight oaf go.

[quote user="bunny"]Lynch him! Burn the witch![/quote]

Errr, no.  Just get rid and get someone with a semblance of competence in.

He''s completely flameproof, (blameproof) or he wouldn''t be allowed into the stadium....(On his orders).

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

He''s completely flameproof, (blameproof) or he wouldn''t be allowed into the stadium....(On his orders).

[/quote]Superb! [Y]

Clutching at straws Doncaster......really. So you keep installing new managers, then they do the honours and get rid of whatever players they wish. Fine, that''s their job. However I can''t help wonder who the constant is in all this, well it''s you Neil. You have presided over a few good years, and also more than a few bad.

I would love to meet a fan who cried or was the least bit concerned about the departures of Walsh, Derveld etc. Matt Jackson was a competent player, but all fade into obscurity when compared with Darren Huckerby.

Yes we will all look forward to the new season (as we do every year) and hope that this time you and the board will back the manager Mr Doncaster (with all the funds you have raised from previous sales, as you keep promising).

As for the Greatest Ever, forget it, it was a flop and you got it wrong. However to call an event with an audience of 3,000 successful takes some doing. Don''t mention the more successful game v Harwich and Parkeston which had numbers of 6,000 and was more resonably priced will you. As mentioned, yes some of the reserve games are well attended - or where when we played in the Prem.

Poor old Doncaster, what happened during the two years WE had parachute payments?

I hope he contributes some of the answers to that in his next column.

"The combination of football club heritage and musical acts on show was a concept that some found hard to grasp"

The patronising sod, used to think quite highly of him as well. My views on the event have been stated over and over again, so I wont bother

I shall be bringing the subject of the article up at the SCG meeting on 27th on behalf of NCISA members who have contacted us with regard to its content but if anybody on this message board wishes to contact me beforehand with their observations please feel free.

J.TILSON@SKY.COM

Can anyone provide the link to Doncaster''s column, it seems to have disappeared from the EDP site. I was going to add some comments for TIL to take to the meeting. Strange that the story now appears to have vanished!

Its dissapeared Gazza off both the EDP and this site, although I have a hard copy here in my EDP but that doesnt help you..

Me too and would be happy to outline what he says if that''s any help.

MODS - What is happening with the front of the EDP and here, stories have gone totally [:^)]

Well what a surprise, it''s back on the Pink Un link now, did I just dream it had disappeared.

TILLY - prepare for some questions. By the way, will you be publishing the answers and other points made on here for us all? Thanking you in advance.

The greatest ever farce was a flop whether hes admits that or not!

Very poorly thought out idea!

At least the club were not not the promotors so didn''t lose money!

Hop, hop hop along comes the hot cross Bunny to the defence of his lord and master Doomcaster. Nobody said anything really bad about ND but that does not stop our brave, fluffy tailed friend from baring his little buck teeth. Bunny I would suggest you read the latest  Doomsday Column as it was somewhat bizarre.

I think ND has used a large amount of artistic interpretation in his article here.  No one and I mean no one questioned the decision to let the likes of Walsh go and I can''t understand why he said that.  This kind of reminds you of those articles he writes when he bemoans that we can''t compete in the transfer market with the clubs with parachute payments, yet it was somehow different when it was us with the parachute payments.