Sign in to follow this  
Freeza

Paul McLean signs for Falkirk

Story has just popped up on the Evening News website saying the young centre-back that we released has just signed for Falkirk.

Very odd that this should happen again, so soon after it happened with Tom Miller. I watched him in a reserve gam in April 2007 and wrote this about him in my blog:

"Paul McLean – 8 – I was impressed with Paul, he is big and strong for a young guy and seemed to have the air of a leader around him, constantly getting involved, committed and sometimes last-ditch defending. Hopefully a Malky or Duncan Forbes of the future!"

If he''s good enough for Falkirk then surely he''s good enough to be on the fringe of our first-team?!

[quote user="Freeza"]

If he''s good enough for Falkirk then surely he''s good enough to be on the fringe of our first-team?!

[/quote]

LOL!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Freeza"]

[/quote]

LOL!

[/quote]I second that.

Where are Falkirk in the league? Our experiences under Grant should tell us that the Scottish leagues aren''t that good. Take Lappin - he''s not good enough for us but he can play in the team that''s currently third in the Scots Premier League. Ryan Jarvis played for Kilmarnock and went from there to Notts County.

I think you may find that in Scotland there have a three year youth system similar to that enforce here a few years ago.The three year system allows for late developement of boys, and its possible that Paul may have been signed on this?. Good players and nice lad,another player that roeder has **** on.

Good luck to the lad, but to suggest he''s good enough for the fringes of our first team based on a quote from the manager of Falkirk is frankly laughable.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]To be fair I''m probably good enough to play for Falkirk...[/quote]

I think I could afford to buy Falkirk, including a budget to provide the players with underwear below their kilts.

Lets face it if a perennial Substitute and Central midfielder who couldn''t get a game in Holland can go over to Celtic and get 40 goals a season (Larrson) it says it all about the quality of football up there.

jas :)

Why can you not face the fact that the academy are constantly making blunders, these boys have potential, and for a mere 250 a week Norwich could gamble on them. People need to have more faith in the boys going through our system instead of paying other clubs to borrow their youth players. I have watched a lot of youth football and yes Aresenal, Chelsea, Spurs and a few others have millions invested in to their academies, a coach at norwich once told me that they have a bigger budget than the Norwich first team manager. They are obviously going to have the best players most of the time, but beleive me there are players in the youth team that can match them and do a job. For instance we have a right wing back that has quite frankly made some of these so called better players look average, he has left them for dead and then delivered telling crosses, we have a decent left back, and an England goalkeeper. Not all the best young players are at the big clubs.

To say Falkirk are not as good as our reserves is ridiculous, the Scottish league is not as strong as the championship but it is better than the reserves. I am willing to bet one player will be given a contract next year from the youth team and I think they will make the same mistakes they have this year.

Here is a radical idea, sign our young players and loan them out to lower league clubs to gain experience, if they don''t make the grade nothing is lost.

[quote user="yellowmad"]

Why can you not face the fact that the academy are constantly making blunders

[/quote]

I agree that we should have more players coming through - but where do you get the "blunders" thing from? How many of our academy players have gone on to better things than Norwich?

The blunder is letting these boys leave the club at 18, if you have "Boys" with potential keep them and try to turn them in to decent players. Like I said earlier is 250 a week a big gamble?

Yes but we barely play any reserves games anymore which doesn''t help the really promising youngsters we have had. We could end with a large number of players cluttering up the place and never getting a game. Besides we have taken that punt on a few of the youngsters with players such as Halliday, Bexfield, Cave-Brown etc.

You lot just don''t get it do you? The Scottish Premier League is more important than the Championship so he must have gone to a far better club than us. The BBC will back me up on this...

...now over to Roddy Forsyth;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/default.stm

Outside of the top 5 in the SPL its all league one fodder. If he is good enough for Falkirk then he can s** off.

[quote user="Freeza"]

Story has just popped up on the Evening News website saying the young centre-back that we released has just signed for Falkirk.

Very odd that this should happen again, so soon after it happened with Tom Miller. I watched him in a reserve gam in April 2007 and wrote this about him in my blog:

"Paul McLean – 8 – I was impressed with Paul, he is big and strong for a young guy and seemed to have the air of a leader around him, constantly getting involved, committed and sometimes last-ditch defending. Hopefully a Malky or Duncan Forbes of the future!"

[/quote]

Nonsense.  Get a grip.  Name a single ex academy release who has done well?   Danny Crow perhaps, oh no he was released and has been released again. 

Our boys are always poor and in a small town comfort zone.  Roeder has made it clear that the reserve league etc means nothing and that the money is better spent on the first team.  Get used to shipping people out because the reality is we have only go the cash to invest in first team football. 

A mere 250 a week?  a grand a month times how many???  If they dont make the grade that is a grand a month x 10-20. 

[quote user="yellowmad"]

Why can you not face the fact that the academy are constantly making blunders, these boys have potential, and for a mere 250 a week Norwich could gamble on them. People need to have more faith in the boys going through our system instead of paying other clubs to borrow their youth players. I have watched a lot of youth football and yes Aresenal, Chelsea, Spurs and a few others have millions invested in to their academies, a coach at norwich once told me that they have a bigger budget than the Norwich first team manager. They are obviously going to have the best players most of the time, but beleive me there are players in the youth team that can match them and do a job. For instance we have a right wing back that has quite frankly made some of these so called better players look average, he has left them for dead and then delivered telling crosses, we have a decent left back, and an England goalkeeper. Not all the best young players are at the big clubs.

To say Falkirk are not as good as our reserves is ridiculous, the Scottish league is not as strong as the championship but it is better than the reserves. I am willing to bet one player will be given a contract next year from the youth team and I think they will make the same mistakes they have this year.

Here is a radical idea, sign our young players and loan them out to lower league clubs to gain experience, if they don''t make the grade nothing is lost.

[/quote]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Lets face it if a perennial Substitute and Central midfielder who couldn''t get a game in Holland can go over to Celtic and get 40 goals a season (Larrson) it says it all about the quality of football up there.

[/quote]

You what? Henrik Larsson? Central Midfielder? says all about the quality of football in Scotland? Jas I have always considered you a bit of a numpty, the same Henrik Larsson that played 96 times for Sweden? The same Henrik Larsson that has the record number of goals scored by a British based player in European competitions? The player that single handedly ended Rangers 9 year dominance of the division, the same player that took Celtic to the final of the UEFA cup and then scored two goals in the 3-2 defeat against Porto? The Henrik Larsson that went to Barcelona and won La Liga two years in a row? The same Henrik Larsson that came on in the champions league final against Arsenal and set up both late goals to become a champions league winner? The same Larsson that scored 4 goals in 8 games on loan at Man Utd last season at the age of 35? The same Larsson that has an MBE for services to football and was named Swedens greatest ever footballer?  Jas why dont you think before you speak?

[quote user="yellowmad"]The blunder is letting these boys leave the club at 18, if you have "Boys" with potential keep them and try to turn them in to decent players. Like I said earlier is 250 a week a big gamble?[/quote]When it comes to alot of our youth players the expression '' you cant polish a turd'' springs to mind.   None of them have ever left to go onto great things recently so I have no worries with letting them go.

[quote user="ryank"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

You what? Henrik Larsson? Central Midfielder? says all about the quality of football in Scotland? Jas I have always considered you a bit of a numpty, the same Henrik Larsson that played 96 times for Sweden? The same Henrik Larsson that has the record number of goals scored by a British based player in European competitions? The player that single handedly ended Rangers 9 year dominance of the division, the same player that took Celtic to the final of the UEFA cup and then scored two goals in the 3-2 defeat against Porto? The Henrik Larsson that went to Barcelona and won La Liga two years in a row? The same Henrik Larsson that came on in the champions league final against Arsenal and set up both late goals to become a champions league winner? The same Larsson that scored 4 goals in 8 games on loan at Man Utd last season at the age of 35? The same Larsson that has an MBE for services to football and was named Swedens greatest ever footballer?  Jas why dont you think before you speak?

[/quote]I would also add that at the time of signing Scotland had seen some of the best players in the world grace that league.  Gazza and Laudrup were hardly small fry players.

The academy has a history of signing the same type player and none of them have made it, they are about to do the same thing again with Korey Smith, a boy who runs about a lot doing very little and giving the ball away. The academy is turning in to a joke. Why not brake the mould and sign players with technical ability and turn them in to better players.