Sign in to follow this  
ncfclad

Smith and Rudd sign contracts, but what about the others?

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED09%20May%202008%2017%3A09%3A38%3A490

Both players still have one year left in their scholarship and I am pretty surprised that they have been offered contracts ahead of the other 3 final year scholars Danny Kelly, David Cooper and Nick Davey.

I have heard some people rate Korey Smith, who Ive only seen a couple of times and he has looked ok, but I have been more impressed with the other 3. Kelly, Cooper and Davey.

David Cooper is great going forward from right back and can score a few goals, unfortunately was injured half the season.

Danny Kelly can play as centre half or as a target man and he wins many headers and looks an intelligent player who is calm in possesion.

Nick Davey is a real hot prospect in my opinion, he has good control, awareness and an eye for goal, he scored around 25 goals for the under 16s last year and was impressive against Celtic and MK Dons reserves at Carrow Road. Unfortunately he has been out injured most of the season but has scored 3 in his 5 starts for the under 18s.

Other youth players to watch out for next year are new scholars Sam Habergham, Josh Dawkin and Manny Richardson (who on first impressions looks more impressive than Martin, Daley and Davey).

ANYONE ELSE WHO HAS ANY COMMENTS?

Spot on, David Cooper is a far better player than Smith, very rarely gives the ball away, reads the game well and gets forward well from the back. Having watched most of the youth and reserve games this year he has been the best young player.

Danny Kelly has been played out of position most of the year but has still looked a decent player.

Unfortunately Nick Davey has been injured most of the season and I have seen little of him, but he did look good last year for the 16''s.

I can only think that Smith had one good game like Lathrope and Roeder was there, unfortunately the coaches do not talk back to Roeder and if he says a player is good they just agree, or they will be shipped out like the goalkeeper coach. Produced four England goalkeepers, fell out with Roeder and was sacked.

[quote user="yellowmad"]

Spot on, David Cooper is a far better player than Smith, very rarely gives the ball away, reads the game well and gets forward well from the back. Having watched most of the youth and reserve games this year he has been the best young player.

Danny Kelly has been played out of position most of the year but has still looked a decent player.

Unfortunately Nick Davey has been injured most of the season and I have seen little of him, but he did look good last year for the 16''s.

I can only think that Smith had one good game like Lathrope and Roeder was there, unfortunately the coaches do not talk back to Roeder and if he says a player is good they just agree, or they will be shipped out like the goalkeeper coach. Produced four England goalkeepers, fell out with Roeder and was sacked.

[/quote]

Was he?  We''ve had our suspicions but can you confirm it?

If you are talking about the goalkeeper coach no I cannot prove it, but several people connected to the club have told me the same story.

know nick daveys dad and he says he is quite disillusioned with life at carrow road especially as he is thought of more highly than renton and still ahsnt had a chance at even reserve level.

[quote user="baldyboy"] know nick daveys dad and he says he is quite disillusioned with life at carrow road especially as he is thought of more highly than renton and still ahsnt had a chance at even reserve level.[/quote]

Just what the hell is going on at Carrow Rd!

To be fair Davey and Cooper have both been injured for long periods this season, so Roeder would not have seen much of them.

I believe that both of these two plus a couple of others are gonna have good futures in the game and I expect them to be offered contracts next season. If not then there is something seriously wrong at Colney.

I think you might find there is something wrong at Colney. I have spoken to most of the parents and I can confirm that Nick and David,s parents are totally bemused and you can also add Danny Kelly''s parents to this. Unfortunately unless your face fits you are not progressing, I think we are about to have another Tom Miller Scenario. Some people might say that the coaches know what they are doing but just look at the facts, Bexfield given a one year contract last year after being deemed good enough (gone). Cave Brown Roeder said he was impressed by his ability and attitude (Gone), Smart many people saw him as the long term replacement for Hucks, very quick (Gone), Tom Miller after two seasons with the youth and reserves deemed to be not good enough, one week trial at Glasgow Rangers UEFA Finalists and they give him a two year deal. Perhaps the coaches are not selecting the right boys in the first place. I have watched all of the home youth games and all the home reserve games plus a couple of away games and in my opinion of watching football for 45 years they have picked the wrong person, I can see the decision for giving Rudd a contract as he is a very talented keeper. All the best to David Cooper, Nick Davey and Danny kelly if they do not get contracts, keep your heads up as someone will see your talents.

Well if this is Mr. Roeders type of player first division here we come, another Matt Patterson, runs about doing very little, hangs on to the ball too long and does not seem to be able to complete the easiest of passes.I have also watched the youth and reserves this year and the player who stood out was David Cooper, bags of energy and he was able to find his own players,

Anyone else watched the Youth and reserves this year, would you have given Rudd and Smith a contract? would you have released Smart and Cave brown who in my view were two very good prospects. As I have said earlier Cooper for me has been an outstanding player this year, would you agree, I was also  surprised that Eagles was kept and Smart released.

The comments made by Yellowmad make very interesting reading.  I totally agree with his observations regarding the Academy players and IMO cannot see why Korey Smith has been offered a contract now.  He still has another year to do at Academy level so why when the club needs to curb finances  ( was that one of the reasons why Hucks was not given another  years contract due to his high wages?)would the club increase the wages bill by giving Smith a contract and up his wages by a couple of hundred pounds.Did he perhaps push the club into giving him a pro now or threaten to leave, although he couldn''t go anyway if he was still under the two year scholarship contract -unless he did what Curtis Byrne did and buy himself out.   It must be very frustrating for the other lads to be overlooked and cannot do much for their morale.  There seems to be an underlying strain of favouratism going on in the Academy and perhaps at first team level.  OK we''ve heard all about Martin being banned from pubs and about his attitude  etc but the boy has some talent and shouldn''t he have been afforded the support that Pattison was given when he turned up for training still the worse for wear from drink and had been drink driving to boot!  I hope that the lads that have been released go on to clubs where they will be given a fair crack of the whip - it''s all very well Roedant being impressed with players on the training pitch but I think that playing in league matches will be a totally different kettle of fish and personally I don''t think Smith, Daley and possibly Lathorpe are no where near strong  enough to compete for a place in the first team whic.h is why I cannot comprehend why there was a rush to give Smith a pro contract at this stage

I dont think roeder has much faith in local lads, even though when we play the bigger clubs who have spent thousands/millions on their youth teams we always put on a good show. I sometimes think that it is hard to beat the passion local lads have for their team. The only time I have seen him at a youth team is when Arsenal were at Colney, and he left early because Arsenal had not sent one of the players he wanted to watch, this really helped the moral of our players as he was not interested in watching them. If you go on Foncy you will notice the games have all been tight bar a couple in the youth games and we also went to Southampton the leaders and beat them, you cannot do this with poor players. The big clubs do not have all the good young prospects.

[quote user="yellowmad"]

If you are talking about the goalkeeper coach no I cannot prove it, but several people connected to the club have told me the same story.

[/quote]

thats not what ive heard... its something to do with Joe Lewis leaving the club...

jas :)

I would like to make an observation that Smart Bexfield and Cave Brown are different class to the young lads signed and the only reason I can see is that they were Peter Grants choice last year.None have been given an opportunity under Roeder and they have watched while poorer players have been promoted. Anyone who has watched these players particularly the coaches and supporters of Youth team games in the last two years would question why they have been released. Both Bexfield and Smart like Miller were voted Young players of the year 2006 and 2007. Smart versus Daly is no competition with Smarts pace and Bexfield is one of the most technically gifted players we had,both need to bulk up but Roeder has given that opportunity to Eagle and the very small Gibbs.

We have signed in Daly Lathrope and Smith three very average players,Lathrope is pedestrian and like gibbs hates a tackle while Smith is a headless Chicken, Daly is just awful. And Eagle could not beat an egg! Can someone out there tell me what is happening at the club?  

Of course many are missing a fundamentally important point in that it might simply be that these youngsters need to get regular first team football in order to progress their footballing educations. In football terms, some of the lads released are getting on a bit, and we can''t keep arranging loans etc for them. 

They have to stand on their own feet some day, and I understand the club are very supportive in helping young lads find new clubs.

If they''re good enough to have a career in professional football, then setting them free is sometimes the best thing to do for them so they can find a club they can play regularly with stability and grow as footballers.

But of course none of you can see that as you''re too busy worrying about opportunities missed for the club and money flushed down a toilet to actually think of these young lads.  

I''m not sure that Beachball has got it right when he says that the coaches would question why certain players are released. Didn''t I read  previously tht Roeder said that the Academy manager recommended Daley and that Roeder''s response was that "The boy has pace and has a squeak of a chance"! Also, didn''t he say about Damien Lathorpe that he  had the mind of a football but not the body?  Why why why then were these two, along with Smith (who I agree runs around looking busy but actually doesn''t do a lot) were they given two year pro-contract but Eagle has only been given one year.  He has played first team football and OK maybe he needs to bulk up a bit but it just doesn''t make sense.  The other lads, Cooper, Davey and Kelly must be wondering just what they have to do to avoid going the way of Miller and the other Kelly boy who IMO were  far better stronger bigger players and certainly  better passers of the ball than Smith. 

Both lads are 19 and the club has done nothing to help them find a club-That is fact from a brother of one of the players 

[quote user="yellowmad"]Believe what you like, I cannot prove what I have said without dropping people in it.[/quote]I have a reliable source who told me what happened, again I can''t divulge specifics – but trust me, Roeder had a perfectly justifiable reason for sending him on his way.

Who do you mean- Miller or Kelly - can we take it from your comments that there is more to it other than their abilities? I honestly feel that there is a whole lot more to this academy thing and  the young players than meets the eye. Can''t wait for some response -some posters on here seem to have some inside info!

[quote user="yellabelly"]

Who do you mean- Miller or Kelly - can we take it from your comments that there is more to it other than their abilities? I honestly feel that there is a whole lot more to this academy thing and  the young players than meets the eye. Can''t wait for some response -some posters on here seem to have some inside info!

[/quote]Sorry for the confusion, I was actually referring to James Hollman.

Roeder says he did not think the young lads released had anything to offer the club.Thats crap apart from the Jarvis boys he did not even give them a chance. He says he needs players ready for a push to the premiership and the boys released  may get a chance with some poor Championship clubs.The attitude of two or three of the boys is tremendous and a couple are still training at colney saw them Friday -better than getting pissed -like some he has kept.He seems to question their committment which I find offensive as I doubt he even knew their first names he did not even let them train with the 1st team squad. He could have had a good look at these boys but refused. The whole sorry saga will have a way of coming out.

[quote user="beachball"]The attitude of two or three of the boys is tremendous and a couple are still training at colney saw them Friday -better than getting pissed -like some he has kept.[/quote]I assume you''re alluding to Chris Martin there. From what I''ve heard, it would cost us a fair amount to terminate his contract – when he broke into the first team and there were rumours of Sir Alex sniffing around him, Grant offered him a substantial contract. Roeder''s made it clear that Martin needs to lose weight and change his attitude if he''s ever going to succeed here, but seeing as he''s contracted for another year (or two? I think Grant might''ve given him a three-year deal), I guess Glenn feels he might as well give him a chance to sort himself out, rather than spend a load of our transfer budget paying him off.

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="yellabelly"]

[/quote]
Sorry for the confusion, I was actually referring to James Hollman.
[/quote]

Hollman gave Steven Arnold an agent''s number didn''t he? Trying to get him a move, Roeder didn''t like it and off Hollman went. And rightfully so.

[quote user="Greenwich Canary"][quote user="Coelho"][quote user="yellabelly"]

[/quote]
Sorry for the confusion, I was actually referring to James Hollman.
[/quote]

Hollman gave Steven Arnold an agent''s number didn''t he? Trying to get him a move, Roeder didn''t like it and off Hollman went. And rightfully so.

[/quote]

thats the same story i have heard....

jas :)

That is not a million miles from the story i have heard and as is mentioned above as i understand it there was more than ample justification for parting company with Hollman - had nothing to do with a fall out with Roeder.

I do not know enough about the other kids listed above to commetn really on who is or is not worthy of a contract. Suffice to say though it will be very disappointing if some of the more talented kids slip through the net. One thing that should not be overlooked is Roeder is already on record as saying that in the future he see''s all prem teams as being full of big, athletic players and I wonder if that has anything to do with his thinking in terms of who might make it and who won''t. Must confess I had high hopes for Cave-Brown so am sad to see him go without ever really having had a chance.

As for Smart - yes he is pacy but at the end of the day he is also tiny and did not get a regular place in the team for MK Dons when there on loan. That being the case is he honestly good enough to play for us?

If Declan Rudd wants to make it for us he needs to man up alot, i know him as he was a year below me at school and his attitude then was very poor and cried alot if he got kicked... managed to put a few goals past him during the lunchtime kickabout too ;)

Meanwhile, midfielder Korey Smith, 17, is to be offered a professional

contract, joining fellow youngsters Damon Lathrope, Luke Daley and

goalkeeper Declan Rudd in the paid ranks.How many others do you want us to sign up? There are four there.Some have to stay and some have to go thats life. And yes - its not all down to Roeder, he rellies upon the accademy staff to assist him when it comes to who he keeps and who he lets go.

[quote user="Lambo"]If Declan Rudd wants to make it for us he needs to man up alot, i know him as he was a year below me at school and his attitude then was very poor and cried alot if he got kicked... managed to put a few goals past him during the lunchtime kickabout too ;)[/quote]

That''s really depressing, becasue I went to that school but would hve left long before Declan even started Year 7! Saw him walking down Mere Street the other week, thought he looked quite big, a lot more filled out than Joe Lewis.