Sign in to follow this  
CARL EGGETT

Darren Kenton!!

just finished watching him in the southampton defence against newcastle!
could we possibly tempt him back to carrow road??
at least he would get a regular run-out!
what do u guys think?

On the strength of what I saw last night I''d have him back! It would be worth it for those comedy moments of his, remember them, when he used to appear asleep standing up, then all of a sudden realise he was in a football game and go and do something brilliant! If he hadn''t been out injured for so long he may even could have been in the running for an England shirt (squad not starting!!) I bet Worthy wouldn''t have him back though! Keep it low.

Carl, this has been discussed many times before in the last few weeks. If you do a search you will find the threads. Opinion is divided but my own is firmly that I would not want him back.

Strachen wasn''t playing him, but he is being played now, so they would be less likely to release him. Even if Nigel wanted him back, after all it wouldn''t do team spirit a lot of good would it.

I agree. He did look good last night, but maybe he realises he won''t be 1st choice at Southampton and was playing in the "shop window". Either way, would love to see him back.

I would like to see him back but having watched him play in the second half against Newcastle I cannot see Southampton even considering letting him go elsewhere.

Some people never learn. There''s a golden rule in football - never take back a player, or manager, history tells us they''ll never be as good as they were before. The game is littered with returnees who''ve dissapointed second time around - ask Mike Walker

A clique all on his own, but what a pity he didn''t see the light in time, one of City''s few home bred defenders with real ability.

there''s no doubting he was one of our players of the season before he left. Personally I''d love to see him back at Norwich - there''s no doubt he''s a quality player and someone who would really improve the team.

We seem to be generally agreeing on this thread that Kents is a quality player and that he looked good in the couple of matches he has recently played in. He hasn''t had much of a go at Southampton at all so he''s almost certainly having some regrets at making the decision to leave City. What I think we need to remember is he''s only just 25 now, and was 22/23 when all of the ''I can do better than playing in the Nationwide'' thoughts were whirling around in his head. I don''t know about you, but I do know that I was often affected by delusions of greatness (albeit on a smaller scale and not in the public domain) when that age, and I frequently made decisions that I now regret. I hope, given the same decisions now, that I could use my knowledge and experience to make better ones. It''s called growing up, I think! What I''m trying to say is that, whilst some leopards will never ever change their spots, some do improve upon a second look. Although some of us feel somewhat bitter towards Kents for the feelings he had and how he left, if the chance came for him to return (which he might not want to anyway) I think we should be a bit more open-minded about it as he could be really good for us...and we could be really good for him.

being a saints fan now living in norwich i hope kenton breaks into the team. i saw him many times up here a was chuffed to bits when we signed him. he got injured last pre season and i feel he wasn''t given a fair crack of the whip with strachan, let''s hope sturrock treats him better especially after his two preformances against chelsea and newcastle. so hands off norwich he''s staying put !!!!!

He made his choice, he chose to walk out on City for nothing. You can''t take back a player that has no feelings for the club.

Susie B, Been here before I think. Mistakes that are made by poor judgement at what ever age are almost forgivable. Judgements made by a person due to lack of loyalty, for greed and ambition etc stem from lack of integrity in ones make up. The die for the cause type, are sadly not in abundance in the times that we live in now and the cause is often lost in the chase for personal fame. One poster said it right, it''s the" I syndrome instead of the we can do it together, that is missing. What I mean is, it is in a persons character and nature to do what is right, and this is inherrant in ones nature. Those that have integrity will not sell out for personal fame. They will not sit on the fence to see which field has the greenest grass. Kents has ability and in my old fashioned way would say that progress made in his football career was down to much personal ability and the academy''s ability to nurture it. The timing of his exit was down to him. It exposed a selfish flaw in his nature, He by the way is not alone in this attitude. He will always be suspect in his ability to choose us against I.

Ulf I think he did let us down slightly when he was here. I remember him not turning up to a match once and NW not being very happy about. He''s a good player but I don''t think he should come back

Fair enough i am sure he wasnt against earning a lot of extra money in the process but he moved at the time to forward his career. at that time none of us could have dreamed what would happen this season so i dont think we can blame him for wanting to compete in the premiership.

beelsie, I do see what you are saying; however, the one thing that your train of thought presupposes is that no one is capable of change, i.e. one is either inherently self-centred OR is empathetic and sees the bigger picture, and no one shifts from either starting point. I am not suggesting for one minute that Kents HAS changed, merely that it is possible that he now realises the error of his ways and may think differently in the future, whether this concerns City or another club. I think it is too damning and simplistic to say ''he will ALWAYS be suspect in his ability to choose us against I''. Anyone is the sum total of their life experiences and the more experience (and, naturally, age) you have to draw upon the more variables come into every equation. As he matures it is perfectly possible, I believe, that he may see there are benefits from adopting a less selfish approach than we have seen from him so far. Anyway, this is all probably going to be hypothetical as he may now get a well-deserved run in the Saints first team from the start of next season. Good luck to him if he does. I won''t harbour any grudges because I have made some pretty selfish decisions in my time, although I now try to consider others a bit more because I realise friends, family, and colleagues are important and I don''t always come first.

I had a post about this a few weeks ago and really beleive he may be a great signing but only if NW thinks he can man mange him which I think he can. He is a special player and with the right motivaton is one of the best we have produced

Up the city

TO ALL YOU GUYS WANTING TO BRING KENTON BACK, SURELY WE MUST LOOK FORWARD NOT BACK. I,T NEVER,NEVER WORKS BRINGING OLD PLAYERS BACK, LIKE DELIA SAID WHEN WE SIGNED HUCKS ON WARDS AND UPWARDS.

I dont get all this stuff about Kenton being disloyal to us last time he was here. All he did was excercise an option not to sign a new contract, thus making it easier for him to find a new Club. Is that really so bad? In any event, if we had really wanted to keep him then we could have offerred a new contract with a "get-out" clause in it if a Premiership team came calling.
Having said that IMHO Kenton is a class player who can read the game and has the pace that Malkay and Flem lack. On that basis he would be a good signing for us, but like many other of the speculative posts concerning players, he isn''t coming back!!