Sign in to follow this  
Wembley_Canary

Should we cash in on Marshall?

He was arguably the player of the season this year, but with strong rumours that several Premiership clubs have shown an interest in him, would this summer be a good time to cash in on our quality goalkeeper and use all of that money to boost our financial situation in the transfer market.

Personally I think if we were to receive an offer of around 2m, which is the least I would expect for a player of Marshall''s quality, then we should swiftly accept it and use that money help Glen rebuild the squad, 2m can really go along way in the Championship and with Doomcaster''s recent negative message about the current state of the club we could really do with it!

1/ No, he v.good keeper in this league only put above him in basso and hennessey

2. if any prem side pinch goalkeeper in our league it will be young hennessey! if marshall worth 5m then hennessey is worth 7m

yes! he''s rubbish! Can''t communicate, flaps at crosses, awful distribution.. goalkepeers tend to be cheap and i reckon we could get someone alot better for alot less than we payed for this over rated fool!

jas :)

If we are short of cash this summer, then we must cash in on Marshall. We have a massive squad rebuilding job to do, and if we can get £1.5 M + for Marshall then we must. It''ll offer an opportunity to Gilks, and we have two very promising young goalkeepers coming through the ranks in Jed Steer and Declan Rudd. Those latter two will need blooding one day, as back up to Gilks they will gain more experience, and better they are closer to the first team than 3rd or 4th in line for the position, as they could end up going the way of Jon Lewis.

Not unless we get the old cliché of "silly money" for him. I very much doubt we''ll be able to improve on David Marshall. There are plenty worse goalkeepers in this league and to be honest I wouldn''t swap him for some ''keepers currently in the Premier League.

Sorry I Don''t agree replace some of the Defence  tighten up the midfield and get some good strikers that includes Evans who has proved himself. If we have some quality keep it.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]If we are short of cash this summer, then we must cash in on Marshall. We have a massive squad rebuilding job to do, and if we can get £1.5 M + for Marshall then we must. It''ll offer an opportunity to Gilks, and we have two very promising young goalkeepers coming through the ranks in Jed Steer and Declan Rudd. Those latter two will need blooding one day, as back up to Gilks they will gain more experience, and better they are closer to the first team than 3rd or 4th in line for the position, as they could end up going the way of Jon Lewis.[/quote]playing cricket instead???/and tbh, 4-5m or no deal, he is superb, and will get better.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Depends if Gilks is any good. If he is then sell Marshall for minimum of 2mil. If he isnt any good then keep.[/quote]

Gilks is off I think.  He''s very good but he can''t afford to waste another year of his life on the bench.

[quote user="camuldonum"]

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Depends if Gilks is any good. If he is then sell Marshall for minimum of 2mil. If he isnt any good then keep.[/quote]

Gilks is off I think.  He''s very good but he can''t afford to waste another year of his life on the bench.

[/quote]

Your probably right. Again it depends if our youngsters are ready to step up to the bench. If so then having Gilks and Marshall is an unneccessary luxury

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

Your probably right. Again it depends if our youngsters are ready to step up to the bench. If so then having Gilks and Marshall is an unneccessary luxury

[/quote]

At least Gilks got a chance to show what he''s made of....

[quote user="NegativeVibes"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At least Gilks got a chance to show what he''s made of....

[/quote]

eh?

I know a Rochdale fan and she says Gilks is nowhere near good enough for us and is "Sunday league", but still, it would have been nice for us to be able to see for ourselves whether he is any good!

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]I know a Rochdale fan and she says Gilks is nowhere near good enough for us and is "Sunday league", but still, it would have been nice for us to be able to see for ourselves whether he is any good![/quote]

Matty was first approached by Norwich when Mr Worthington was in charge.  He turned down a Premier League club to join you and was approached by several others in previous seasons.

Two clubs came in for him on loan this season which Mr Roeder refused to sanction.  It makes you wonder what they all saw in a Sunday League keeper I think.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="camuldonum"] 

He turned down a Premier League club to join you and was approached by several others in previous seasons.

[/quote]
He turned down 3rd choice at Bolton.
[/quote]

Absolutely right but he should have taken it as he now realises.  A) He''d have been on more money  and B) would almost certainly have been allowed out on loan.  Prior to joining you he hadn''t missed a game for two seasons.  He wants to play, not sit on the bench.

I still wonder if Gilks was bought here on false promises of first team football, after all, we signed him before Marshall. It was a mad signing to make when we had Joe Lewis waiting in the wings, but that one''s all history now.

And how do you know he was denied a loan move?

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]if we can get £1.5 M + for Marshall then we must. [/quote]

£1.5 + 2 meat pies should do it.

One meat pie for you and one for Captain Hastings 

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

I still wonder if Gilks was bought here on false promises of first team football, after all, we signed him before Marshall. It was a mad signing to make when we had Joe Lewis waiting in the wings, but that one''s all history now.

And how do you know he was denied a loan move?

[/quote]

He wasn''t brought to you on a false promise - Grant told him that he was going for a "name" keeper and was absolutely straight with him about it.  But he did promise him a "run of games" - then Grant went.  That''s football.

He was denied a loan move twice this season because both were Championship clubs and one was down towards the bottom of the table.  Presumably Mr Roeder took the view that it would be daft to help an opponent - assuming that he doesn''t think that Matty is a Sunday League waste of space, that is.

I wish we''d had him at Colchester - we might still have been in the League.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]If we are short of cash this summer, then we must cash in on Marshall. We have a massive squad rebuilding job to do, and if we can get £1.5 M + for Marshall then we must. It''ll offer an opportunity to Gilks, and we have two very promising young goalkeepers coming through the ranks in Jed Steer and Declan Rudd. Those latter two will need blooding one day, as back up to Gilks they will gain more experience, and better they are closer to the first team than 3rd or 4th in line for the position, as they could end up going the way of Jon Lewis.[/quote]

John Lewis is a Department Store you muppet, don''t you mean Joe Lewis!! If Roeder didn''t fancy Lewis then Jed and Declan''s chances are minimal to say the least. As for selling Marshall you''ve got to be crazy he''s one of the best keepers in our league! I''d assume a keeper of his quality should be worth around £5M-£7M, as you don''t get picked in the Scottish squad for being a bad player these days! We need strengthening all over the pitch this summer but the priority has to be our lousy defence. To build a solid squad you start with the defence and work forward. I expect some surprises from Glenn as happened at Newcastle not your regular Championship canon fodder!

Watch this space.

How much did Sunderland pay Hearts for Craig Gordon?

£9 Million wasn''t it?

That sets a precedent-is Gordon so much better than Marshall that he can go, a year ago, for £9 Million and we are now thinking that just £2 million might be a good price for him?

So yes, £5-£6 Million maybe for Marshall, especially as keepers get better as they get older, and, if he does well, he could be another teams first choice keeper for 8-10 years.

But all completely academic anyway.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

£9 Million wasn''t it?

That sets a precedent-is Gordon so much better than Marshall that he can go, a year ago, for £9 Million and we are now thinking that just £2 million might be a good price for him?

So yes, £5-£6 Million maybe for Marshall, especially as keepers get better as they get older, and, if he does well, he could be another teams first choice keeper for 8-10 years.

But all completely academic anyway.

[/quote]I havent seen Gordon play much.  However Marshall I rank as a decent keeper at this level.  We only got 2 million for Rob Green who was a better goalie than Marshall.

I think Roeder fancies Rudd over Gilks. We MUST cash in for Marshall, he isnt as good as alot of people on here make out and with a potential £2 - 3m price tag! We would be insane not to.

Sahar makes it 2-1 

If he shows this sort of uncommanding and unconfident influence in the box much more then yes let him go.

Generally I''m a fan of the lad though.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

Is he one of the Gay Gordons?