Sign in to follow this  
FatMan Fat

Further vindication for Malkay

For all the knockers who say Malkay wont be good enough next year -
there is further vindication of his prowess in the EDP Sportswriters Awards where Malkay comes out as our TOP defender (outfield) over the last season.
Add that to the PFA Player''s Player Of The Year Awards where Malkay was the only defender (outfield) to be picked from Norwich.
Add to that Bertie Vogts picking him as the only defender (outfiled) for current international honours and you have the reasons why Malkay will hold his place next year.
I would point out that all of the above awards come from people who earn their livings from the game, and so presumably know more than the pessamists who say Malkay wont cut it in the Premiership.
As far as I am concerned Malkay "is the man" - and he should be Captain!!

Having seen him go into reverse trying to catch up with Ricardo Fuller, I''m afraid that Malky isn''t "the man". Flem''s experience and reading of the game might enable him to hang on in there for another year, but the Malkster won''t cut it in the Premiership. Wheel on Gabbidon or Dawson if we want to stand any chance of defending against any side in the top flight.

Maybe your right FatMan. I''ve never questioned his ability as a defender. For me he''s been one of the most improved players this (sorry, last!) season. He was really solid. The only thing that scares the hell out of me next year is pace. It would be awful Malky trying to keep a hold of Henry or Giggs! Well, he wouldn''t have a problem keeping a hold of them, just keeping up with them!! I think Malky will play a fair bit next season but i''d still like a younger, faster defender as well.

Sometimes you have to cruel to be kind and I think Worthy should not put Malky through the embarassment of having to try and keep up with at least 2/3rds of the premier strikers. He has had a good season and he has got that elusive Scottish cap but now is the time to bring in younger quicker defenders.

I agree with DD - he had an excellent season (I too suggested him as most improved player) but struggles against players with real pace - his sending off this season was down to this and Fuller wasnt the only player to have Malky floundering this season.

Players like Henry and Giggs will have most player floundering so that is an unfair comparison - but every team from Spurs (Keane, Defoe) to Newcastle (Bellers) has a quick striker which means Malky will be on the back foot most games. Get him (or my pref Flem - who I think will cope with the prem better) a pacy partner and I will be much happier.

The current partnership works excellently at this level - just be found too short of pace in the prem.
OTBC

Fleming isn''t a sprinter no, but he is faster. Also the difference between Malky and Flem is that Flem finds other ways to tackle fast players. The chances are with Malky that if a player nips past him, he''ll drag the player back and foul him. If he does this a few times a game in the Prem, he could get sent off really easily. You don''t often see Flem dragging a player back.