Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

the other side of the hucks argument

ok.. most of you are not going to agree and think roeder is now the scum of the earth.. but lets face facts.

1. Darren Huckerby was in his 30''s

2. Darren Huckerby was a High Earner.

3. Darren Said he wouldnt sign "what was put in front of him" and wasn''t prepared to "sit on the bench"

what makes better sense to the club.. offering an ageing winger who i slosing his pace a lucrative 1 year deal.. or signing a younge rman, who can only get bettert, for a fraction of the wages on a longer contract?

Only an Idiot will say option 1 wont they?

Like it or not Darrec Huckerby is slowing down, too many hard tackles, too much strain on the sinews. Apart from pace what else has hucks got? He cant Tackle, He cant head, he cant pass.... he isnt much of a footballer if he cant put his head down and go.

He wasn''t perhaps prepared to take a wage cut to stay here.. despite his "i''ll never leave" speaches of years past...

Suppose then we had offered hucks another year... then Glenn Roeder went out and signed someone Younger, Faster and cheaper than Hucks... and hucks sits on the bench... bleeding money out of the football club... the people angry about Hucks being released would be the first complaining that he either wasnt playing or was drawing a wage for doing sod all!

as for saying goodbye to hucks...we all did that aginst QPR.. we all knew, deep down, he was off... Would you rather the board accepted an offer and shipped him out just like that with no fanfare and farewell.. Darren Eadie, Ashley Ward and Jon Newsome anyone?

Yes im sorry to see Hucks go and hope he is happy wheever life takes him and wish him all the best... Perhaps he''ll come back as a coach, perhaps he''s off to America.. Maybe he will turn his back on football altogether and persue other interests in his life.. who knows... but lets put the "Roeder out" banners away shall we...

the decision is made.. he''s gone.. and nothing we all say will bring him back.

Support Roeder dont slag him off!

jas :)

There are plenty as switched on as he is, by being that switched on they don''t spend all day on here blubbing about events they have no control over.

[quote user="Steve H"]There are plenty as switched on as he is, by being that switched on they don''t spend all day on here blubbing about events they have no control over.[/quote]

Seems to me as if he''s having a go at the people who ''blub about events they cant control''. Or in simpler terms, the fools who have no idea about the game of football.

Bring on Chadwick ..  bring on Lappin ... bring on cheap young Henry .... bring on never scoring Pattison ... or bring on another cheap young Bertrand on the left wing ... all worse ... and not ....scoring any goals ... not scoring goals ... not scoring ... any goals .... no goals .... nothing on the wing ... bye bye Hucks ... bye bye ..Carrow Road ... it''s a disgrace !

At the open day .. the supporters forum ... it was clear for everybody that Roeder didn''t want Hucks to sign on ...

Bring on Alahors ... 3rd division in Sweden !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hucks demonstrated on Sunday why he doesn''t deserve a new contract.   Sure he scored, but he left Bertrand exposed time and time again as he slowed in the second half, and he could not keep possession as the challenges went in from a team who looked more like wanting it.  Inevitably from here his form can only get worse, not better, so better for a more hungry young turk next season or it will get embarassing! 

That said he deserved a better farewell than what he has received todaIt could all have been settled so much better for a great City servant.

[quote user="shefcanary"]

Hucks demonstrated on Sunday why he doesn''t deserve a new contract.   Sure he scored, but he left Bertrand exposed time and time again as he slowed in the second half, and he could not keep possession as the challenges went in from a team who looked more like wanting it.  Inevitably from here his form can only get worse, not better, so better for a more hungry young turk next season or it will get embarassing! 

That said he deserved a better farewell than what he has received todaIt could all have been settled so much better for a great City servant.

[/quote]

I should duck if I was you.

I agree with you Jas. Which must be a first.

At the end of the day, Hucks has had his best days. His performances this season weren''t good, and we would be paying him good money which could be better spent elsewhere.

Yes, not giving him a decent send off is criminal. But the contract decision is, IMO, a good one.

[quote user="Steve H"]There are plenty as switched on as he is, by being that switched on they don''t spend all day on here blubbing about events they have no control over.[/quote]

Some good points Jas.

I think to sum him up at present he is ''un-economical''

A great player on his day yes, a great servent yes, a fans favourite yes but we can''t afford to have an expensive talisman on our books right now. I wish more fans would look at the whole picture, rather than stamping their feet because their favorite dummy has been taken away from them.

I wish him well and hope he gets the send off he deserves at the ''greatest ever'' event. He deserves to be there.

[quote user="YellowRoad"]

Bring on Chadwick ..  bring on Lappin ... bring on cheap young Henry .... bring on never scoring Pattison ... or bring on another cheap young Bertrand on the left wing ... all worse ... and not ....scoring any goals ... not scoring goals ... not scoring ... any goals .... no goals .... nothing on the wing ... bye bye Hucks ... bye bye ..Carrow Road ... it''s a disgrace !

At the open day .. the supporters forum ... it was clear for everybody that Roeder didn''t want Hucks to sign on ...

Bring on Alahors ... 3rd division in Sweden !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

Reading that was like listening to someone rocking backward and forward muttering to themselves in a padded cell.

Are you well?

It''s no different from the Malky/Iwan situation a few seasons back. I  would imagine that GR wanted to announce this well before now but couldn''t do so because he wanted the team focussed on beating QPR not talking about Huckerby, and a farewell at Hillsborough would probably have had 30K of their fans just jeering.

Hux has given me great memories and I will not forget what he did to get us promoted and be about our only ray of light in a poor Prem season. He was worth his place when likely goals won was greater than likely goals conceded, but all good things come to an end and if we are to escape from this league at the right end then we can''t have a huge gap on the left anymore when we are not getting enough product in attack to compensate.

Its hard to take when a legend moves on, but maybe better than seeing him slowly marginalised and demotivated as his appearances got shorter and more sporadic.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

ok.. most of you are not going to agree and think roeder is now the scum of the earth.. but lets face facts.

3. Darren Said he wouldnt sign "what was put in front of him" and wasn''t prepared to "sit on the bench"

what makes better sense to the club.. offering an ageing winger who i slosing his pace a lucrative 1 year deal.. or signing a younge rman, who can only get bettert, for a fraction of the wages on a longer contract?

Like it or not Darrec Huckerby is slowing down, too many hard tackles, too much strain on the sinews. Apart from pace what else has hucks got? He cant Tackle, He cant head, he cant pass.... he isnt much of a footballer if he cant put his head down and go.

He wasn''t perhaps prepared to take a wage cut to stay here.. despite his "i''ll never leave" speaches of years past...

Suppose then we had offered hucks another year... then Glenn Roeder went out and signed someone Younger, Faster and cheaper than Hucks... and hucks sits on the bench... bleeding money out of the football club... the people angry about Hucks being released would be the first complaining that he either wasnt playing or was drawing a wage for doing sod all!

as for saying goodbye to hucks...we all did that aginst QPR.. we all knew, deep down, he was off... Would you rather the board accepted an offer and shipped him out just like that with no fanfare and farewell.. Darren Eadie, Ashley Ward and Jon Newsome anyone?

Yes im sorry to see Hucks go and hope he is happy wheever life takes him and wish him all the best... Perhaps he''ll come back as a coach, perhaps he''s off to America.. Maybe he will turn his back on football altogether and persue other interests in his life.. who knows... but lets put the "Roeder out" banners away shall we...

[/quote]

Ther is no "Other side" to this argument.

He was our best player by a country mile and one of the best ever in my opinion.

He was well worth another year.

Who else in this team is going to win matches for us?

None that I can see and by the sounds coming from Doomcaster nothing much will be bought to replace him.

A sad sad day for me and another milestone in the road on NCFC''s long decline.

Ricardo wrote:

Whow else is going to win matches for us ?

I write:

Why dont we wait and see.  Do supporters actually believe that Roeder is that naive to not now know we need improving.  Give the bloke a chance - yes I loved Huckerby but he was not on form this year and more times than not he ran at people and lost the ball.  We dont know who Roeder has in mind as replacements for those leaving so lets wait and see and stop crying over Huckerby leaving and just wish the bloke well.

[quote user="Bomber"]

Ricardo wrote:

Whow else is going to win matches for us ?

I write:

Why dont we wait and see.  Do supporters actually believe that Roeder is that naive to not now know we need improving.  Give the bloke a chance - yes I loved Huckerby but he was not on form this year and more times than not he ran at people and lost the ball.  We dont know who Roeder has in mind as replacements for those leaving so lets wait and see and stop crying over Huckerby leaving and just wish the bloke well.

[/quote]

Been waiting and seeing for far too long mate.

Do you really believe that there is a pot of gold for GR to buy new players.

The first thing that Huckerbys release signals to us is that there is not even enough money to pay our best player a one year contract.

No money, no players, no hope.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

He was our best player by a country mile and one of the best ever in my opinion.

None that I can see and by the sounds coming from Doomcaster nothing much will be bought to replace him.

[/quote]

Ricardo,

There is ''another side'' to all arguments  and debates - even the Huckerby one! Having said that you could well be right in your other post in that we simply could not afford to keep him i.e. paying the wages he is on.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed.

Players who are comfortable going past a man on the inside or outside are rare. To be able to do that and committ defenders the way Huckerby can is a gift. He can play people in and he can score goals. For people to suggest that he''s started to lose his pace and doesn''t have much else to his game is ignorance. Far better footballer than some people realise.

Ricardo - I do hear what you are saying but to suggest that we have no money is ridiculous because nobody knows do they - would Roeder demolish the squad if he knew we were skint - of course he would''nt - he knows what he has got to play with and is building accordingly - as for the fact that we have not got enough money to pay Hucks another year contract why cant it be looked on the other side in that what we pay Hucks we can pay two players with making what money we have got go further - I like many others cannot understand why we get 25000 crowds compared to other teams who get 12000 and less and yet in the past have struggled so badly but each new season is a new dawn and maybe this one will be different (holding breath) - I am just waiting to see what happens (yes I know we say that every year) and ready to support them whatever as I am sure you will do.

Every great player has to come to the end at some point.  I think it is Huckerbys time.  I reckon we could have probably squeezed another season out of him, just!! Is that really what we want though.  Keeping hold of a talisman becuase of what he has done in the past.

As Roeder put it himself.  Its time for new heroes, let the re-building begin. 

There is no way in a million years that not only we will get in a decent replacement for hux (look at our history) but that you could for less money than re-newing his contract.Hux was on good money because he was that damn good. He might have been on 20k a week who knows, but you are not going to be able to get anybody worth their salt for less than half his wages and add to the fact you have to buy this player as well. If we look at anybody under the age of 30 then you are looking at a million pounds and using an estimate of hux being on 25k a week (that''s 1.3mil) then that means we''d have to pay hux replacement 5k, and even some of the young worthless players at this club earn more than that.It doesn''t make sense. All season we haven''t created enough chances or scored enough goals. Over the past years hux has constitenly been at the top (or near the top) on both of those charts. In my eyes this is one of the worst tactical decisions I''ve seen.

All fine apart from the fact you have entirely made up point 3 of your argument. From all that has been said and quoted it appears to me that we didn''t even have any talks with Hucks to find out what he would have been prepared to stay for.

For me the real issue is not that he''s going, its not that i did not get the chance to say goodbye, its the fact that Huckerby has been denied that send-off and has had to watch Dion getting praised and worshipped by all comers. Roeder has gone out of his way to make sure Dion got a hero''s send-off. He appears to have done completely the opposite with Hucks and it all could have been avoided.

[quote user="Fellas"]There is no way in a million years that not only we will get in a decent replacement for hux (look at our history) but that you could for less money than re-newing his contract.

Hux was on good money because he was that damn good. He might have been on 20k a week who knows, but you are not going to be able to get anybody worth their salt for less than half his wages and add to the fact you have to buy this player as well. If we look at anybody under the age of 30 then you are looking at a million pounds and using an estimate of hux being on 25k a week (that''s 1.3mil) then that means we''d have to pay hux replacement 5k, and even some of the young worthless players at this club earn more than that.

It doesn''t make sense. All season we haven''t created enough chances or scored enough goals. Over the past years hux has constitenly been at the top (or near the top) on both of those charts.

In my eyes this is one of the worst tactical decisions I''ve seen.
[/quote]

But Hucks has hardly played this season, and half of the games he did play he was rubbish in. Same goes for last season.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

All fine apart from the fact you have entirely made up point 3 of your argument. From all that has been said and quoted it appears to me that we didn''t even have any talks with Hucks to find out what he would have been prepared to stay for.

[/quote]Which point have I "made" up?

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="Jim Smith"]

[/quote]

Which point have I "made" up?
[/quote]

Sorry I was referring to the initial post by Jas where he was saying Hucks wanted too much money and would not sit on the bench.

[quote user="Mook"]

[quote user="Fellas"]There is no way in a million years that not only we will get in a decent replacement for hux (look at our history) but that you could for less money than re-newing his contract.Hux was on good money because he was that damn good. He might have been on 20k a week who knows, but you are not going to be able to get anybody worth their salt for less than half his wages and add to the fact you have to buy this player as well. If we look at anybody under the age of 30 then you are looking at a million pounds and using an estimate of hux being on 25k a week (that''s 1.3mil) then that means we''d have to pay hux replacement 5k, and even some of the young worthless players at this club earn more than that.It doesn''t make sense. All season we haven''t created enough chances or scored enough goals. Over the past years hux has constitenly been at the top (or near the top) on both of those charts. In my eyes this is one of the worst tactical decisions I''ve seen. [/quote]

But Hucks has hardly played this season, and half of the games he did play he was rubbish in. Same goes for last season.

[/quote]But seriously, in all honesty do you think we will get as an effective player for us as hux for the money we''re "saving". In my eyes, no. Huckerby has proven since he got back into the team that he still has it. I questioned whether he still had it, infact I was one of his biggest critics but he has proven me and all us doubters wrong. In the end, we''ll probably end up with lappin on the left and a nice new office for the board members to play around in.

Maybe we can get someone who uses NCFC as a stepping stone to a higher level, but that''s only if they are any good.  Who have we had in midfield in recent years that was good enough to draw attention from Prem clubs other than Huckerby?

Based on Roeder''s record, I am sort of glad Huckerby is not coming back, because we will be getting relegated next year. Of course if we had Huckerby playing for us, maybe we wouldn''t be.

Besides Huckerby, what other player have we had in recent years that other teams have to game plan around?  Now he''s gone, and with no replacement in sight, our opponents have been handed a benefit they were not counting on. 

I hope I am wrong about this. As a tribute, maybe I will change my account name to Huckerby''smullet, kind of like McDougal''sPerm did for Ted McDougal.  Was there the same kind of pleasure from the star haters when he was sold?

Jas - Brilliant post - as soon as i saw the Pinkun headline i knew Roeder was in for some abuse.The club and Roeder have not handled it particularly well, and hand on heart, i think they were well out of order not announcing it before Sheff Weds game.But then again - maybe Hucks wanted it that way? maybe he asked them to keep it quiet?I can''t believe GR did it this way to be malicious, and believe he probably had his reasons, whether his own or Hucks'', for not announcing it.People who are slagging Roeder off need to remember that he is one of a very elite group who could have got us out of the position he found us in.He has my backing 100%.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Maybe we can get someone who uses NCFC as a stepping stone to a higher level, but that''s only if they are any good.  Who have we had in midfield in recent years that was good enough to draw attention from Prem clubs other than Huckerby?

Based on Roeder''s record, I am sort of glad Huckerby is not coming back, because we will be getting relegated next year. Of course if we had Huckerby playing for us, maybe we wouldn''t be.

Besides Huckerby, what other player have we had in recent years that other teams have to game plan around?  Now he''s gone, and with no replacement in sight, our opponents have been handed a benefit they were not counting on. 

I hope I am wrong about this. As a tribute, maybe I will change my account name to Huckerby''smullet, kind of like McDougal''sPerm did for Ted McDougal.  Was there the same kind of pleasure from the star haters when he was sold?

[/quote]Dickson Etuhu, Croft was gettin attention from prem clubs (allegedly) earlier this season.Every club is different, and sometimes managers or players "click" with a club. Based on Hucks record of falling out with most managers he has played under and rotting in the reserves after a season or two, would you have signed him in the first place? If the answer is yes then your point based on Roeder''s record is irrelevant. Look at Darren Kenton and Andy Marshall - Contenders for England squad with us, never did anything for another club they played for. Let''s just hope Roeder clicks with us.Dean Ashton, Robert Earnshaw.What is your issue? "star haters"? Yeah that''s right, by being realistic about an ageing winger, i automatically never want to see another decent player in the yellow and green. Nobody is a star hater, some of us can look beyond the little picture and see the bigger one. Grow up, child. No-one has taken any pleasure in the way this has been handled but maybe your opinion isn''t always the right one. Maybe, just maybe, GR has lined up a replacement already. Maybe they will be better, maybe not as good, but he is the manager, and ergo far better qualified to make these decisions than yourself.

Personally I am disguisted at the complete lack of prudence by our manager - THANK GOD someone is finally showing some balls at this club.

I don''t agree with the lack of send off and do potentially think that there was another year for Darren H...however I wonder how much of a bad apple he had become behind closed doors....I believe and hope that Glen is plotting a team who are fresh, positive and acutally believe they can win.

Big up Jas :)