Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

Hucks - short memories

As I''ve said many times on here, Hucks has been almost certainly the most exciting player to have worn the yellow shirt and definitely the scorer of the best goals. The selection of strikes on YouTube just scratches the surface of the quality that the guy has produced since September 2003. The goal on Sunday was a classic example.

BUT (and much to City Angels annoyance) I''ve also said that Hucks is clearly a shadow of the player he was and even at this level simply does not skin his opponent anymore. Nowadays it''s drift inside and eventually lose the ball (most of the time).

As others have said we need to cut GR some slack and judge him next season when we see the performances of players he brings in.

The other pro Hucks arguments centre around ....''giving him a proper send off'', ''absolute legend'' etc. OK - fair enough but cast your minds back just a few months. A hell of a lot of posters on this site were queuing up to slag Hucks off for his sniping public comments about players being sold offer, poor quality of the squad etc. etc. Trawl back through the pages if you don''t believe me. In fact the issue got raised at one of the SCG meetings I went to when at least one fan asked for Hucks to be disciplined and Neil Doncaster confirmed that ..''he had been spoken to''.   It doesn''t matter whether you agreed with what Hucks said or not, truth is be should have kept his mouth shut (in public at least). Managers are paid to manage and players to play - end of. Roll the clock on to today and 90% of you are up in arms and about to march on Carrow Road and burn the place down!

Finally, what about some of the comments from Hucks a week back which no-one has appeared to pick up.  He said......''I won''t just sign anything that''s put in front of me'', ''I''m not just going to make up the numbers''. Read into that what you will but to me that says...''I want regular first team football and no cut in wages''. Maybe I''m being harsh but I''m damn sure that some kind of talks did take place with Hucks and the club knew thay could not accomodate him on those kind of terms??      

As for this so called ''send off'', I can see where some people are coming from but there was plenty of thundering ''Oh Huckerby'' chants coming from the stands at the QPR match and he got a great reception at the end. Suppose that doesn''t count though? Malky had none of this sentimental stage managed ''send off'' did he when Worthy sold him. Nor did Craig Fleming and a whole host of other top players from the past who retired, left or were sold.  As I say, short (and ''selective'') memories me thinks.      

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

As I''ve said many times on here, Hucks has been almost certainly the most exciting player to have worn the yellow shirt and definitely the scorer of the best goals. The selection of strikes on YouTube just scratches the surface of the quality that the guy has produced since September 2003. The goal on Sunday was a classic example.

BUT (and much to City Angels annoyance) I''ve also said that Hucks is clearly a shadow of the player he was and even at this level simply does not skin his opponent anymore. Nowadays it''s drift inside and eventually lose the ball (most of the time).

As others have said we need to cut GR some slack and judge him next season when we see the performances of players he brings in.

The other pro Hucks arguments centre around ....''giving him a proper send off'', ''absolute legend'' etc. OK - fair enough but cast your minds back just a few months. A hell of a lot of posters on this site were queuing up to slag Hucks off for his sniping public comments about players being sold offer, poor quality of the squad etc. etc. Trawl back through the pages if you don''t believe me. In fact the issue got raised at one of the SCG meetings I went to when at least one fan asked for Hucks to be disciplined and Neil Doncaster confirmed that ..''he had been spoken to''.   It doesn''t matter whether you agreed with what Hucks said or not, truth is be should have kept his mouth shut (in public at least). Managers are paid to manage and players to play - end of. Roll the clock on to today and 90% of you are up in arms and about to march on Carrow Road and burn the place down!

Finally, what about some of the comments from Hucks a week back which no-one has appeared to pick up.  He said......''I won''t just sign anything that''s put in front of me'', ''I''m not just going to make up the numbers''. Read into that what you will but to me that says...''I want regular first team football and no cut in wages''. Maybe I''m being harsh but I''m damn sure that some kind of talks did take place with Hucks and the club knew thay could not accomodate him on those kind of terms??      

As for this so called ''send off'', I can see where some people are coming from but there was plenty of thundering ''Oh Huckerby'' chants coming from the stands at the QPR match and he got a great reception at the end. Suppose that doesn''t count though? Malky had none of this sentimental stage managed ''send off'' did he when Worthy sold him. Nor did Craig Fleming and a whole host of other top players from the past who retired, left or were sold.  As I say, short (and ''selective'') memories me thinks.      

[/quote]

Good post. Expect it to be roundly ignored, whilst people bang on about Roeder and the board.

Top post. Personally I feel it should have been announced prior to Sheff Wed, but the hysteria on this board today is ridiculous.

Ooooooo!!! A non-hysterical well thought out post on the Huckerby situation, my money is on the lynch mob getting to you before the men in white coats do.

I''m pretty much in agreement with all of the above.

He is unfortunatly a shadow of his former self, I would lov to have the Huckerby of old back but it ain''t gonna happen.

I also agree that the quotes from a week or so ago could pretty much be read as ''I want regular first team football and no cut in wages.'' What Glenn Roeder doesn''t need is passengers and Huckerby on the same money as last year playing at the same standard constitues a passenger in my book. There is so much more we could do with his wages.

Fairytale send off''s are something that very few players get, Dion got his because he made the decision himself. I too feel GR could of announced his decision after QPR when we were safe in order to give Hucks a good send off, I very much doubt this was all ironed out between the final whistle at Hillsborough and this morning so GR would have known and I feel this is one thing that he could of done better. But I really can''t do anything else but laugh at the blubbing, hysteria and abuse being aimed at GR.

What I really don''t want to see next year is Huckerby''s name on new shirts and to hear Huckerby songs chanted, it''s the past and that''s that and I don''t want to be involvede in a club that dwells on the past like that, like someone else time for new heroes.

Thanks a million Hucks.

[/quote]

100% spot on!

well said that man!

jas :)

[/quote]What a ridiculous statement, of course Malky and Fleming didnt get a huge send off, they werent the calibre of player that Huckerby was. Very few players get ovational send offs, only the select few that contribute so much to their clubs and become legends there, as Huckerby did.

Well thought out & well written post.

I''m just wondering when his funeral is? Oh, hang on wait........... Hes not dead, he''s just not been given another multiple thousand pound per week contract & can now ply his trade at another football club.

I liked Darren Huckerby as much as the next fan, he''s not been given a new contract & that is it whether you like it or you don''t. These things happen. Besides, isn''t there a whole summer before the new season starts (actually the old season is barely 2 days old!!!!). Bit too early for lynch-type screamings from incoherent madmen............

[/quote]

Hucks told the truth, someone had to.

"A hell of a lot" of posters DID NOT slag him off.  A few did, and I doubt whether even they would think it sufficient justification to deny him a proper sendoff.  If Hucks "had been spoken to" that should have been the end of it. 

In any case you''re missing the point.  Denying him a sendoff punishes the fans as much as the player. 

You and Jas. Best posts on here today. Well done Yellow Rider, I agree with everything you have said - The hysteria here is unreal today.

Blimey, if the said fan wanted Hucks to be reprimanded and is supposedly representing some of us I would question him/her being here next season. So Hucks was wrong to speak out? Perhaps the police state is nearer than we think.

Hucks, you were 100% right, and it hasn''t got much better neither.

" The hysteria here is unreal today."

As is some of the name-calling toward Glenn Roeder.

Disagree with his decisions by all means but there''s no need for the use of negative nicknames thought up by fans of other clubs.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

Good post. Expect it to be roundly ignored, whilst people bang on about Roeder and the board.

[/quote]

And why, ( just because you don''t agree with it) shouldn''t they be allowed to bang on about Roeder and the Directionless board?

Here Here!It seems many people on this board are talking about the Hucks we knew and fell in love with 5 years ago, and that just isn''t the reality of Hucks today. If it was, there is no doubt he would be offered another contract.I think Hucks managed to avoid a lot of criticism simple because he was Hucks and could do no wrong, even when giving the ball away, or crossing as badly as Croft.Good luck and God Bless Huckerby, a true Norwich legend.