Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Rider

One man band??

Lets face it when we had Hucks in our team we were VERY limited in our options and the variety of our play. The tactic was ...''get the ball to Hucks as soon as possible and let him do the rest''  and we all know that there were glorious occasions when that worked a dream. Trouble is there were  also a lot more times when it didn''t!

Jas has said that the guy ''could''nt pass, tackle or head the ball'' - sounds a tad harsh but he''s right. BUT of course what Hucks could do was to destroy opponents with pace, flair and skill that (Eadie apart) has never been seen at Carrow Road and may be never seen again. With that pace, skill etc. now on the decline he has little to fall back on hence the need I believe why GR thinks it''s time to move on.

Teams knew how to deal with a Norwich team with Hucks in the starting line up, ''stop Hucks and you stop Norwich'' was their game plan and boy did it work on many occasions.

With Hucks we were a one trick pony or one man band. We now need to prove we can survive and prosper without him and I think we can. Why? Consider the following:

1. 2002 - we were penalty kicks away from promotion (actually many would say just one bad tactical decision from Worthy was the reason). Was Hucks here in 2002? No.

2. 2003/2004 - when Hucks went back after the loan we played Forest, Derby and Ipswich over Christmas. ALL were beaten without us conceding a goal. Did he play in those games? No.

3. The signings of Leon and Svennson all played  a key role in our promotion (as did Hucks) - to suggest it was JUST Hucks who got us up is extremely disrespectful to a very well knit and disciplined squad of players.

3. Even this season what about the appalling displays at Wolves and QPR? Hucks started those games I believe. What about the away wins at Southampton, Barnsley, Cardiff and the much heralded draws at Palace and Watford, did Hucks start those games? No.    

Of course there will be many examples that ''prove'' the opposite point but surely I have laid out here that we HAVE progressed in the past (even in this wretched season) WITHOUT Hucks.

Finally, Hucks was not a team player, he was very much a loner. Compare how he used to interact with colleagues on the field  to what we saw from DD! Truth is Hucks played head down and if it came off great, if it did''nt his team mates were left with arms outsretched waiting for a pass or cross that never came. That is the reason why he never cut it at Premiership level, he was not a ''team'' player.     

Yellow Rider

I think you''re missing the point as to why most fans are hacked off with Huckerby''s departure. Whilst some bemoan the very fact he has been released, many of us understand that it is Roeder''s decision, and probably many of the arguments you present above (in addition to wages) were likely the deciding factors. But actually I think you''ll find a lot more fans are hacked off with the fact that this wasn''t announced prior to the Sheff Wed game, so a proper send off could''ve been undertaken. It shows poorly on Roeder''s character and judgement on this issue and he has now made an unnecessary rod for his back with some fans, as you can clearly see on the forums.

Whilst Huckerby had his limitations as a player, one could quite easily undertake so called ''character assinations'' of our remaining squad players and arrive at the conclusion we should release all of them, as none of them are perfect. Take Lee Croft. Hardworker, quite skilful, zero end product. Should he be retained on this basis? We could assess every player, realise they''re all flawed, and then by the logic being applied by many posters, be content to release the player. 

but then Poirot its swings and roundabouts isnt it.. we have released plenty of players over the years without the chance to say goodbye or it being announced... so why the Furore over Hucks?

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

but then Poirot its swings and roundabouts isnt it.. we have released plenty of players over the years without the chance to say goodbye or it being announced... so why the Furore over Hucks?

[/quote]

Very true, Mackay was a Norwich legend he didn''t get a big send off. It would have been nice to say goodbye but its not the be all and all and certainly not worth this much hysteria.

I think you may find that the ''hysteria'' has evolved from a continual supply of gaffe''s from our beloved club for many years - Hucks shameful expulsion just provides the topping of a lovely cake of dairy-animal droppings. I''m amazed at just how many people are now thoroughly jacked off by these events.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

I dont always agree with you Jas but reading your posts over this issue - they are all very sensible. Not in-line with "proper" fans who bemoan everything NCFC do - i need an example. Where''s Ricky - hes always good for a laugh?

No one denys that Hucks wasn''t perfect as every player is but his qualities far outweigh the bad points and at this moment in time when the club are not flush with money, basically just a lower end struggling championship club, releasing a player as good as Hucks appears totally senseless!

[quote user="scott"]No one denys that Hucks wasn''t perfect as every player is but his qualities far outweigh the bad points and at this moment in time when the club are not flush with money, basically just a lower end struggling championship club, releasing a player as good as Hucks appears totally senseless![/quote]

Your right we are not flush with money - so a player who was on £15k a week whos contribution over the whole season did not amount to very much surely is not worth another year - wouldnt you agree?

[quote user="YellowIce"]

[quote user="scott"]No one denys that Hucks wasn''t perfect as every player is but his qualities far outweigh the bad points and at this moment in time when the club are not flush with money, basically just a lower end struggling championship club, releasing a player as good as Hucks appears totally senseless![/quote]

Your right we are not flush with money - so a player who was on £15k a week whos contribution over the whole season did not amount to very much surely is not worth another year - wouldnt you agree?

[/quote]

Hip problems, playing in a p*ss poor team, getting unfairly dropped from the team in order to play crap loanees or dropped cause Roeder only wanted one wide player all contributed to a leaner season for Hucks. But when he got as run in the team in the final 3rd of the seaosn coincidentally when we needed points in order to stay up Hucks was visibly getting back to his best and played a big role in our scamble away from the dreaded relegation positions.

Its likely he would of signed a new deal for less money so finance shouldn''t of been that much of an issue, indeed Roeder never disscussed money!