Sign in to follow this  
OB-news.dk

Steen Nedergaard - how do you remember him?

Hi guys

Greetings from Odense in Denmark. I am currently writing the third and final part of my interview with Steen Nedergaard. I am writing about his stay at Norwich City, a stay that he still talks very passionate about as a "child-hood dream" coming true. Well i just thought, that it could be funny to hear some supporters oppinion about him, how was he on as well as off the pitch? mayby some funny anekdotes, that i can fill in to my article about Steeno (that was his name in Norwich right?).

I can tell you, that Steeno today work for the danish player organisation, where he guides young players, when they recieve contract offers. I sometimes talk with him, when i am watching talent matches in Odense. He is always very polite and nice to all people, always giving some time to speak with fans and old friends. He also have some great values when it comes to clubculture, way to behave as a player and so on, a really gentleman, and he was a great player to. If you have any questions, i will happily answer them. The first to parts of the interview series, can be found here www.ob-news.dk, but it is in Danish, i can maybe make a shorter English summary, if people are interested? The interviews follows Steenos full carriere, from child-hood till now.

Best Wishes

Udesen

Yes, Steen was an exellent player for us at a very difficult time for the club.

He always gave 100% and I will always remember his 30 yard scorcher that nearly ripped the net off at the River End. One of the best goals ever scored at Carrow Road.

.SSTTTTTTTEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!

One of our best crossers of the ball in recent years, I think it''s a role we have failed to fill successfully since he left.

udensen,my memory of steen nedergaard is him as one of the best crossers of the ball i have seen, superb control and immsensely versatile, he even popped up with the odd 30 yarder, classic.

At OB he always played Right Back or Wingback (depending on the system), and he had a very characteristic move to the backline, where he made his great crosses, and no matter how many times he made his move, the defenders never got it, he is a legend in Odense.

NA NA NA, NANANAAAA, NANANAAAA STEEEEENNOOOOOOOOOO

best forgeiner to play for city, can remember the lap or honour at his last game as much as dion''s. i dont remember most end of season''s but his i do. oh to have him back.

[quote user="OB-news.dk"]At OB he always played Right Back or Wingback (depending on the system), and he had a very characteristic move to the backline, where he made his great crosses, and no matter how many times he made his move, the defenders never got it, he is a legend in Odense.[/quote]

yep set up many great goals with supeb floated crosses that always seemed to find their target, got up in support of the attack and could read the game well so was rarely caught out on the counter attack.

Still held in high regard here.

One of my favourite City players of the last ten years. Totally professional, and we haven''t had as good a right back since he left. If only all our current players had his professionalism and focus, we''d have made the play-offs easily.

i will consider making the summary, it is quite a big work because of the length, and my english grammar is not that great, if i find the time i will.

Steno''s a legend.  Great player and always had time to talk when you met him in town.  I always thought he was a qualified Solicitor?  Maybe I''m wrong.

[quote user="AndyJR"]Steno''s a legend.  Great player and always had time to talk when you met him in town.  I always thought he was a qualified Solicitor?  Maybe I''m wrong.
[/quote]

A kind of i guess. He passed some exams that was a part of the course you have to take, when becoming a legal advisor for the danish player association, because his role is to help young players negotiating contracts.

I remember a rainy night against some god-awful team on a Tuesday.  Steeno came over to take the throw, lost his footing in the rain, and one of our lot said "Poor dear, he fell over".  Much to his credit he just stood there with a big smile on his face, and then got on with the job.

Quality footballer and a top bloke. Bumped into him about 18 months ago in Norwich after he''d been to watch City in action and he joined me and my mate in Roccos for a few beers. We then proceeded to Optic for the night and Steeno cut some moves on the edge of the dancefloor, had a few more drinks and a burger in Olive Tree before departing for his hotel. Bit of a surreal night, cracking bloke and had a few footballing stories to tell!!

[quote user="gcb...norwich"]Quality footballer and a top bloke. Bumped into him about 18 months ago in Norwich after he''d been to watch City in action and he joined me and my mate in Roccos for a few beers. We then proceeded to Optic for the night and Steeno cut some moves on the edge of the dancefloor, had a few more drinks and a burger in Olive Tree before departing for his hotel. Bit of a surreal night, cracking bloke and had a few footballing stories to tell!![/quote]

It sounds like Nedergaard to me. He is always so down to earth, a very fine person. Well if you want to send him greetings, you can write them here, and i will pass it on. Btw. is anybody interested in correcting my summary if i make it, mayby it could turn in to an article for the club or fanpage?

A brilliant crosser of the ball, and a top bloke all round. One of football''s gentleman. I remember when Steeno played for us against Man City and Stuart Pearce started laying on the intimidation, Steeno rose above it and didn''t let "Phycho" bother him. Would be in my NCFC dream team. Glad he''s doing alright for himself. Don''t suppose the thirty yarder is available anywhere on youtube or whatever.....possibly my favourite ever Carrow Road goal.

I remember that goal, V Coventry.  It was more than 30 yards out though weren''t it?  I dunno though.  From sitting in the Thorpe Wing could see exactly how the ball moved through the air.  He was class though, great player, about the only good thing Hamilton did.  I remember after his last home game he was emotional, that says it all for him!

I remember one tackle when Darren Kenton and Steeno crunched an opponent and Steeno jumped and high fived Kents.Kenton looked really confused but the fans loved it!!  memo to Kenton.... it was called passion

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]I remember that goal, V Coventry.  It was more than 30 yards out though weren''t it?  I dunno though.  From sitting in the Thorpe Wing could see exactly how the ball moved through the air.  He was class though, great player, about the only good thing Hamilton did.  I remember after his last home game he was emotional, that says it all for him![/quote]

Steeno wanted to go abroad about 97-98, to try a new challenge. But then my club OB was relegated, and he stayed to years, first to secure promotion, and then securing survival, before leaving for England. When he came back, he lost his motivation after 1,5 season, and then he stopped despite his contract, because as he said "the club is the most important thing". His kind is rare in modern football.

I can remember a game against Sheffield Wednesday... we got a corner and their keeper was injured and getting treatment... Steeno trotted over to the corner flag and the whole Barclay were chanting his name.. he just looked at us and grinned... top bloke!

jas :)

He was my favourite player when he was here. As for that goal against Coventry, I voted for that on the Norwich Greatest Ever Site! I still treasure my signed program. He was a fantastic player, sublime crosses, a real gent, and he was cute! No, he was hot! I loved watching him every game! Wwelcome back to Norwich anytime!

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"]I remember one tackle when Darren Kenton and Steeno crunched an opponent and Steeno jumped and high fived Kents.Kenton looked really confused but the fans loved it!!  memo to Kenton.... it was called passion[/quote]I remember that too, faithful. Brilliant moment. It''s just a pity Kenton didn''t share Steeno''s attitude to the game.

Hi again

I spoke with Steeno yesterday over the phone, always a pleasure. He is doing well, a bit busy, because now a lot of player wants advices about new contracts and so. He told me, that he still is in contact with Norwich, so he will not forget you guys. Maybe there is a possibility, that he in the future can find strong danish talents to Norwich? i think he has done that before with Asmat.

Well greetings from Steeno and i!

[quote user="OB-news.dk"]

Hi again

I spoke with Steeno yesterday over the phone, always a pleasure. He is doing well, a bit busy, because now a lot of player wants advices about new contracts and so. He told me, that he still is in contact with Norwich, so he will not forget you guys. Maybe there is a possibility, that he in the future can find strong danish talents to Norwich? i think he has done that before with Asmat.

Well greetings from Steeno and i!

[/quote]

Great stuff !

Steeno is fondly remembered here, and I can still remember him being in tears as he walked around the pitch at the end of the seaon.      He had already played his last game for us and the crown were chanting ''Steeno Steeno''.

Steeno is a legend!! I remember his lap of honour on his last game at Norwich, he came to the Barclay and got on his knees and bowed! True gent.

At first he looked a decent midfielder then he got switched to right back and became the best foriegn right back in the cllubs history!

Miss singing his song! Steenooooo!

When''s the book out?

[quote user="Matt"]

Steeno is a legend!! I remember his lap of honour on his last game at Norwich, he came to the Barclay and got on his knees and bowed! True gent.

At first he looked a decent midfielder then he got switched to right back and became the best foriegn right back in the cllubs history!

Miss singing his song! Steenooooo!

When''s the book out?

[/quote]

it is not a book, it is a three-part interview, i am doing the last part now now. Propably it will take some time to finish, because Steeno wants to check it through several times, so that i is perfect.