Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

In Praise of Glenn Roeder

When he took over, we looked like we would be playing League One football next year.  Through November and December we battled away, and for a while it looked like we were safe or thereabouts.  Then we were back in the scrap to stay up, and now we''re officially safe - so we haven''t done it the easy way, but keeping the team up is a huge achievement and I think we should acknowledge the job Glenn Roeder has done in:(a) throwing out the dead wood (Murray, Strihavka, Brellier)(b) loaning out the "not-quite" players (Jarvis, Lappin)(c) rebuilding team spirit in the side and getting them to play as a team againand (d) - most important - giving us Championship football again next season when we looked finished in early November.  Grant, Duffy, Hartson - all can be consigned to the dustbin of history.  Time to move forwards.  Thank you, Glenn.

Yep, it''s been a bit up and down but his job was to keep us up and that''s what he''s done. The really hard work starts now though. I can''t recall the last time we had such a major rebuilding job to do in the summer.

Absolutely. I know he''s got a few people''s backs up in recent weeks, but he has done a sensational job. The day after QPR at home is not a bad time to remember the QPR away game. That team was an absolute shambles, and was going down with barely a whimper. Eight points after 13 games. Roeder has taken 47 from 32, which is pretty much play-off form in this league. Roeder had every right to be leading that lap of honour yesterday, rather than hiding himself away in the middle of it. Thanks, Glenn.Next season is going to be very interesting. Roeder has a second-season reputation to get rid of. We need a lot of new players. There will doubtless be absurd expectations that we will win the league. I wish him luck.

i would have liked him to have played The three ''deadwood'' they didnt really get much chance, and i thought when they played they where godd but oh well, only 2 mill down the drain.But Roeder has done very well here, i have wonderd what he is doing with the starting 11 (mainly the last 2 games leaving dubs and rusty out)

[quote user="Ginger Pele"]i would have liked him to have played The three ''deadwood'' they didnt really get much chance, and i thought when they played they where godd but oh well, only 2 mill down the drain.

But Roeder has done very well here, i have wonderd what he is doing with the starting 11 (mainly the last 2 games leaving dubs and rusty out)
[/quote]

Eh? Where the heck do you get 2 mill from?? Did you miss the fact we only paid about 10p for Strihavka???

Yes he''s kept us up which is a great job done. Don''t understand some of his team selections and can''t understand why Rusell started on the bench yesterday. Seems odd that he''d risk annoying a player who will be here next season to keep Gibbs/Wenger happy maybe, although I will concede that Gibbs had a better game yesterday. Was the big cuddle when he came of the pitch warranted though or was he making a point to the fans??

Try as I might, I can''t help but dislike the man, sorry, but thats how I feel. There''s something I just can''t put my finger on.

However.

I must acknowledge that he was brought in to do a job, and in that context, he''s been superb, and it would be pretty churlish of me to suggest otherwise.

So I just pray that having saved the boards backside, they now back his judgement next season with some serious cash.

But I still won''t like him!.[:|]

i think it was a local journalist who, when Roeder took over, said that if he kept us up we should hire and open top bus and parade around the city.  The job he has done has been immense.  When he took over we needed to average 1.5 points a game and I don''t think anyone could see where that was coming from. 

I do agree with angel above though, some of his team selections have been very odd.  Most notably Gibbs in the last few weeks.  I have never seen a player who can make himself so invisable in a game.  It''s as if whenever the full back collects the ball he delibrately runs away from any possible space!  He is young and I''m sure he will develop but of all Roeder''s loan signings he has been the biggest disappointment

next season will tell if he is the man or not. i liked him at the start, not sure about him now, prepared to see how he does in transfer market and till xmas.

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]

i think it was a local journalist who, when Roeder took over, said that if he kept us up we should hire and open top bus and parade around the city.  The job he has done has been immense.  When he took over we needed to average 1.5 points a game and I don''t think anyone could see where that was coming from. 

I do agree with angel above though, some of his team selections have been very odd.  Most notably Gibbs in the last few weeks.  I have never seen a player who can make himself so invisable in a game.  It''s as if whenever the full back collects the ball he delibrately runs away from any possible space!  He is young and I''m sure he will develop but of all Roeder''s loan signings he has been the biggest disappointment

[/quote]

Welcome back DDIM [:) I''m not a Gibbs fan either.

As a person he seems a very well rounded and articulate man, as a manager he''s done what he was brought in to do. Yes, he may have made some mistakes (those are of course open to opinion and are subjective).

What he has to do now is stand firm, gather his list of wants for next season and go to the board and tell them in no uncertain terms that keeping to the same tired old prudence.....etc policy will spell curtains next year. I still hope (crazy I know) that they have learnt from their former errors and will start to take football seriously and give this their full attention as we need to rebuild a squad this time, not a car park.

Glenn Roeder has turned around the team, and more importantly shown he can find good if not excellent players. To date he''s spent the minimum and as he''s said himself he wishes to keep the money for the summer. This fills me with hope as I am certain he can rebuild well. Yesterday some of the football was as good as it''s been for years. We need to build on this. But good on him for making a great start to his managerial reign here.

Gibbs was not invisible yesterday and is still very young and lacking confidence.  He will come good and would be an asset next season. 

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]

[/quote]

[quote user="cityangel"]Yes he''s kept us up which is a great job done. Don''t understand some of his team selections and can''t understand why Rusell started on the bench yesterday. Seems odd that he''d risk annoying a player who will be here next season to keep Gibbs/Wenger happy maybe, although I will concede that Gibbs had a better game yesterday. Was the big cuddle when he came of the pitch warranted though or was he making a point to the fans??[/quote]

We all want our favourites to play CA. Thing is Roeder picked a team and they won 3-0. If he''d have picked the team you''d have chosen we quite possibly wouldn''t have won the game. Evans was instrumental all game, not just scoring that important first goal but also in having the pace to gain us the man advantage. Of course we don''t know if your team would have done better. It''s also possible that hoofing the ball up to Dion could have brought us a 5-0 win.

It was a great team performance yesterday, and Russell and Dublin played their parts when they came on and didn''t look annoyed to me.

[quote user="ricky knight"]So what about the times he has made dodgy team selections and we lost.[/quote]So what about when José Mourinho and Sir Alex Ferguson made dodgy team selections and they lost. It''s all part and parcel of the game; it''s whether you learn form these mistakes that determine whether they improve or not.

Roeder deserves enormous credit for turning us around from our desperate position in October. But he made things harder than they needed to be from the end of January onwards when his constant tinkering of a previously recent successfull team by playing with different formations, picking players out of position, dropping players to play some mainly woefull loanees all of which meant we had to sweat on our Championship status for longer than what it should of been.

my point is he gets credit when we win, so is he not at fault when we lose, especially when he makes bad decisions. Of course all managers get it wrong sometimes, but the best get it right most of the time.

Ricky.. so when norwich lose you ignore the players performaces then and blame roeder for his team selections? Thats the biggest load of rubbish i''ve heard as a manager he has been fantastic, hes givien every player a chance to earn a spot in the first 11 and maybe some havent performed when it mattered but thats not his fault. You say the best get it right most of the time! the best also have a board who back them and a solid squad to choose from, both of which norwich lack at the moment.

my point was he is the greatest thing since slice bread when winning, do the players only matter when we lose and have an off day then. To you changing a winning team, playing players out of postion, is great management then is it, After Grant mate the only way was up, if we are in the top six come xmas, he will have my full support. The board situation is true and they must back him in the summer, thats for sure.

Too true saying its been up and down season. He has done what he was employed to do and that was to make us safe. He has made some bad decisions and some good ones, but that is like all managers, hell look at Fergie against Chelsea. Well done GR, thanks for keeping us up and make sure you do a great job next year.