Sign in to follow this  
National express super guard

old story i know but end of hucks?

[quote user="mattscousin"]talk of new heroes, history being history. sounds like glenn has made his mind up and hucks would fit what those 2 things are. he was a hero in the clubs history. maybe I''m reading too much in to things, part of me hopes I am.
[/quote]

Sorry, but I am 99% certain you are dead right, a sad, sad day

If he does leave, it will be sad, however if we go on to have a successful season next season no one will mind then.  I''m sure whatever he does will be with the best interests of the football club at heart - and we don''t know who he''s planning on getting.

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."] if we go on to have a successful season next season no one will mind then.  [/quote]

That''s a pretty big if though!

The risk is that a poor season (or even a moderate one that fails to meet the expectations of some people) and there will be much complaining and wringing of hands about failure to adequately replace Huckerby, what could we have achieved with him in the team, etc.  If I were Roeder I think I would be looking to opt on the safe side and offer a pay as you play sort of deal that limits the expenditure on Hucks wages if money is really all that tight, but keeps him at the club and available to use either as an impact player if he is not 100% up to it or would allow him to play regularly and be fairly rewarded if he is fully fit and on form.

Like you say I am sure Glenn will do what he sees as best for the team, but I still think a fit Huckerby ought to have a bit left in his engine as he is not exactly ancient.

“I am absolutely clear in my own mind the players that will continue to play a part in what happens here over the next few years,” he said.

“I also know there will be a number of players that will leave the club, and we have to replace those with new players, new heroes, because the one constant in football is change."

Notice he said "new heroes" as in the plural?  I think he used that term loosely, because we have not really got that many "heroes" at Carrow Rd. Reading between the lines I would say that he has made his mind up about who he wants to keep but whether Huckerby is part of that group I would not like to guess from that statement. 

[quote user="mattscousin"]talk of new heroes, history being history. sounds like glenn has made his mind up and hucks would fit what those 2 things are. he was a hero in the clubs history. maybe I''m reading too much in to things, part of me hopes I am.
[/quote]

GR`s  statement reminded me of the Worthy days, lots of words and make of them what you will. I am convinced Hucks will be here next season, no doubt whatsoever, absoutely sure, would bet my house on it! 

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."] if we go on to have a successful season next season no one will mind then.  [/quote]

That''s a pretty big if though!

The risk is that a poor season (or even a moderate one that fails to meet the expectations of some people) and there will be much complaining and wringing of hands about failure to adequately replace Huckerby, what could we have achieved with him in the team, etc. 

[/quote]

Just look around you, Pboro, read some of the posts. In case you didn''t already notice there will be much complaining and wringing of hands even IF huckerby stays and we achieve anything less than the play offs. The "we deserve better" brigade are out in force.

Even I have got my head round the fact that he''s leaving, sad though it is, guess life goes on.May never forgive Roeder though [;)]

[quote user="National Express super guard"]talk of new heroes, history being history. sounds like glenn has made his mind up and hucks would fit what those 2 things are. he was a hero in the clubs history. maybe I''m reading too much in to things, part of me hopes I am.[/quote]Im not sure what to make of the quotes by Roeder.  Doesnt make much sense to me because in the start of the article he refers to Hucks and Fotheringham and Doherty all at the same time.  Although Doc leaving would be welcomed by some fans,  I for one would like to see our Captain stay.  hes done a good job since getting the arm band.  But all in all a very sad sad day if Hucks is to leave.

“I am not a person who dwells in the past. The history is, for me, left up on the shelves and I just look to the future and the future for this club is that there will be heroes that are here now that stay here and there will be heroes that are not here yet but will start the season here. New heroes - and that''s what our supporters will want as well - fresh blood.”

Am i the only person that managed to see this bit?

Obviously, Hucks is very popular with the fans and frequently professes his love for all things NCFC, and he does seem to be sincere about that, but is he prepared to compromise over his wages? I don''t think he is, and for me, if he really is paid as much as some people have suggested, then I think Glenn is right to let him go - especially as he does seem to be slowing down now at the age of 32.

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]Obviously, Hucks is very popular with the fans and frequently professes his love for all things NCFC, and he does seem to be sincere about that, but is he prepared to compromise over his wages? I don''t think he is, and for me, if he really is paid as much as some people have suggested, then I think Glenn is right to let him go - especially as he does seem to be slowing down now at the age of 32.[/quote]  I am sure your comment about the compromise over wages will ultimately determine the outcome .  It must be difficult for anyone to except a big pay cut, especially if your agent is telling you that he can get you on the same high wages, but at another club.  I can think of one or two Championship clubs next season who would be more than happy to pay to have Huckerby in their squad, and have the financial backing to afford it.  Can you picture him next season playing for a rival club and taking on Otsemebor and Doherty down the left flank.  I know he has stated that he doesn''t want to play against Norwich, but I''m sure any potential employer could incorporate that into his contract.    Even though he is slowing down a bit he is probably more than a match for most defenders in the Championship. 

Personally I hope both sides can come to a compromise, or otherwise Huckerby will have missed out on saying farewell in front of 25,000 devoted home fans. His outstanding contribution and loyalty to this football club over the last few seasons should at least warrant him getting a proper send off.

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]Obviously, Hucks is very popular with the fans and frequently professes his love for all things NCFC, and he does seem to be sincere about that, but is he prepared to compromise over his wages? I don''t think he is, and for me, if he really is paid as much as some people have suggested, then I think Glenn is right to let him go - especially as he does seem to be slowing down now at the age of 32.[/quote]

I don''t think the wages offered will be the issue, its a well known fact that Hucks has been very astute over the past number of years and has a portfolio of properties which are rented out.

I think when he says the deal has to be right for him maybe he means that he''ll want certain assurances about what our ambitions are going to be, will the club release money to push for promotion next year, will he just be a bench/bit player, guess if he signs he''ll want to feel that it will be a successfull good year for him and the club.

Thats my thoughts.

It''s not looking good for Hucks right now but I have still got my fingers crossed, and hope that Hucks will stay on for another year. Huckerby has proved towards the end of this season that those legs are good for atleast one more season, even if he is used more as a sub in 2008/2009. Glen has said time and time again that he wants to rebuild the side in the summer but replaceing players like Huckerby coasts money, we have very limited funds as it is, so it would be foolish to let Hucks go IMO.

[quote user="silver fox"]

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]Obviously, Hucks is very popular with the fans and frequently professes his love for all things NCFC, and he does seem to be sincere about that, but is he prepared to compromise over his wages? I don''t think he is, and for me, if he really is paid as much as some people have suggested, then I think Glenn is right to let him go - especially as he does seem to be slowing down now at the age of 32.[/quote]  I am sure your comment about the compromise over wages will ultimately determine the outcome .  It must be difficult for anyone to except a big pay cut, especially if your agent is telling you that he can get you on the same high wages, but at another club.  I can think of one or two Championship clubs next season who would be more than happy to pay to have Huckerby in their squad, and have the financial backing to afford it.  Can you picture him next season playing for a rival club and taking on Otsemebor and Doherty down the left flank.  I know he has stated that he doesn''t want to play against Norwich, but I''m sure any potential employer could incorporate that into his contract.    Even though he is slowing down a bit he is probably more than a match for most defenders in the Championship. 

Personally I hope both sides can come to a compromise, or otherwise Huckerby will have missed out on saying farewell in front of 25,000 devoted home fans. His outstanding contribution and loyalty to this football club over the last few seasons should at least warrant him getting a proper send off.

[/quote]

Well I''m sure myself and the other 3000 fans will give him a good ovation on Sunday at Hillsborough. That should be good enough. Why all this sentimental stuff for Hucks, it''s getting ridiculous! He has been a terrific player of that there is no doubt but he''s now on the downward slope and hard decisions have to be made. Especially if the rumours are correct of painkilling injections in his hip before every game?

Players leave clubs all the time and GR has enough on his plate without engineering a situation to give Hucks a proper send off. Anyway did''nt he have that last Saturday (effectively)? Why should he be treated as a special case. Malky had no ''send off'' when Worthy sold him! No did a whole host of other players who were sold. 

Hucks is still a first-teamer. He started the vast majority of games towards the tail end of this season, once his hip issue appeared to have been cleared up.

I think the decision would be based (from the club''s point of view) on his wages, and whether his hip problem is likely to recurr or whether it can be remedied in the close season. Other than that, it''s an absolute no-brainer that we would want him to stay. He still has an effect, and he still scares opposition defenders.

From Hucks'' point of view, does he want to have a go in America? Can Norwich offer him the right financial package?... I don''t know.

Roeder is looking for ''new heros'' and ''fresh blood''.  Is this also part of the three year plan to get us into the premiership whilst  spending nothing?  Roeders talking drivel as is Doncaster, although at least he''s showing some honesty in admiting we have very little cash.  Another 3 mediocre seasons me thinks.