Sign in to follow this  
Graham Paddons Beard

Norwich and relegation fights. Do we ever survive?

A cheery subject I know but as I ponder the recent past I cannot recall us EVER surviving a relegation dogfight. I know that Dave Stringer kept us up in the early 70''s with an equalizer (slightly before my time) but since then , have we ever stayed up ? I well remember thinking we had in 1985 but Coventry and Everton contrived to put us down. Other momentus years were1973-74  Relegated to Division Two 1981 Relegated to Division Two and then of course last day heart break when we were in the prem.

Can anyone put my mind at rest!!!!!

Ask nutty nigel. He''ll help you with faultless factual detail from the last 40+ years accompanied by timelines as accurate as an atomic clock.

He might falter on analysis and logic, but he''s your man for facts and timelines on grave matters such as this.

C''mon nutty, this is just up your street, let''s be having you! Help out the beard.

OTBC

Wouldn''t necessarily call it a ''dogfight'' but I remember Robert Fleck equalising against Wimbledon in the penultimate match of 91/92 getting the point we needed to survive - a similar situation to the one we maybe in against Q.P.R next week.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Ask nutty nigel. He''ll help you with faultless factual detail from the last 40+ years accompanied by timelines as accurate as an atomic clock.

He might falter on analysis and logic, but he''s your man for facts and timelines on grave matters such as this.

C''mon nutty, this is just up your street, let''s be having you! Help out the beard.

OTBC

[/quote]

Nah

Just make something up Major and make it look like you know what you''re talking about, I''m sure you''ll get away with it. Rick Dastardly will come and back you up if you''re in trouble...

Rickyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy [:''(]

Are the papers in yet Fawlty [O][C]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Nah

Just make something up Major and make it look like you know what you''re talking about, I''m sure you''ll get away with it. Rick Dastardly will come and back you up if you''re in trouble...

Rickyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy [:''(]

Are the papers in yet Fawlty [O][C]

[/quote]

Yes, we do sometimes survive. Dave Stringers last gasp header lives long in my memory.

However last game heroics remain very wearing on the nerves.

We all remember Fulham and I am sure Nutty, you are old enough to remember 84/85 when Coventry won their last 3 games after everyone else had completed their fixtures.

Also I recall 80/81 when we had bottom team Leicester at home and lost 2-3. While our relegation rivals Bristol City and Sunderland both pulled off unlikely away wins to send us down.

I ''ve seen to many stitch ups to feel confident about needing and getting something from your final match.

You may be proved right in your theory that "virtue is it''s own reward" but I would love, love, love to see Coventry get what they deserve after all these years.

Shadenfruede you may say bit then it''s just my Ric Darstedlyness coming out.

He He He

I remember them all Ricardo. That Stringer goal against Palace was one of the most celebrated goals I can remember at Carrow Road but it wasn''t the final game. We lost the final game at Stoke but we were already safe through that goal and WBA losing their game in hand the midweek before the final game.

1981 was certainly one where we lost our final game at home to Leicester after winning nearly all our other April games.

Fulham we started outside the bottom three with it in our own hands and blew it.

In 1985 we finished our games with a win leaving us 18th on 49 points only to be relegated half way through the summer.

I remember in 1992 we lost 7 and drew 1 of our last 8 (we lost 9 including the cup semi) and yet stayed up with 45 points and then in 1995 we again lost 7 and drew 1 of our last 8 and got relegated.

In 1998 we looked done for at the beginning of April having gone 14 games without a win but then we got safe with those 5-0 wins.

Surely last season we were never in a relegation fight  because we only managed 1 point from our last 4 games and still finished 16th on 57 points.

in Andy marshalls last season, we where close then i thought, i cant remeber exactly, we wernt as close as this season though

So are you all starting to wake up and realise at last that we are staring relegation in the face now? I hope so, because League One is beckoning.

We must get a least a point from the WBA game and pray a few other teams lose!.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]We must get a least a point from the WBA game and pray a few other teams lose!.[/quote]Why?   Because the season ends at 5pm tomorrow?    If we get nothing from tomorrow then we will still be in the same situation, in our hands and above the bottom 3.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

What about if we get nothing from the WBA game and then beat QPR?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And what if Leciester win their last 3 games mate? its football, and its a funny old game!.[:S]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And what if Leciester win their last 3 games mate? its football, and its a funny old game!.[:S]

[/quote]

16 Norwich 43 -9 52
17 Barnsley 43 -12 52
18 Blackpool 43 -3 50
19 Southampton 43 -16 50
20 Sheff Wed 43 -5 49
21 Coventry 43 -13 49

22 Leicester 43 -2 48
If Leicester win their last 3 games they will be safe but they will have beaten Barnsley and Sheff Wed along the way which is great news for us. 

[quote user="vicar in green and yellow"]Worthy also got us out of the do do with a couple of 5 goal hammerings towards the end of the season[/quote]

Er - that was Mike Walker I think you''ll find (as already pointed out). His reward for which was the sack. 

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="vicar in green and yellow"]Worthy also got us out of the do do with a couple of 5 goal hammerings towards the end of the season[/quote]

Er - that was Mike Walker I think you''ll find (as already pointed out). His reward for which was the sack. 

[/quote]

The reason he needed to "get out of jail" with a couple of 5-0s (or was one a 5-1) was because he''d got us in the s**t in the first place! Hence the sack.

In 1982-3 we were in the bottom 3 for most of  our first season back in the 1st division , at the start of April one off the bottom with 10 to play..City won 6 drew 3  including wins over Liverpool away and Arsenal and finished 14th...

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

The reason he needed to "get out of jail" with a couple of 5-0s (or was one a 5-1) was because he''d got us in the s**t in the first place! Hence the sack.

[/quote]

No Mook.. as I remember it we only played 2 games all season.. can''t remember anything else... sure it was only 2... did we play ipswich away that season... I seem to remem....... no no ... it''s gone.. only those two games have withstood the test of time [;)]

[quote user="Duffman"]
If Leicester win their last 3 games they will be safe but they will have beaten Barnsley and Sheff Wed along the way which is great news for us. 

[/quote]

Quite right - anyone would have thought it was a straight run-off between us and Leicester, but that completely forgets that there are 5 other sides between us and them, all of whom must better our results in the next 3 games to overtake us, 4 of them by 2pts or more. 

That far from constitutes "staring relegation in the face".  Almost all have tough run-ins - at least as tricky, if not moreso, than ours - and several go into them in poor form: for example Blackpool (no win in 8) and Coventry (one in 7) play ''easier'' games tomorrow then its Plymouth (a) Watford (h) for the former, Wolves (h) Charlton (a) for the latter. 

Put it this way, I would currently much rather be in our position than any of the other sides down there, but that is not to say this won''t change. 

....but if Wiz really expects Leicester to win their final 3 games, with the last being at Stoke, I''d happily take him up on a bet!