Sign in to follow this  
Harleston Canary

Lazy journalism?

Quotes from the article about our chances of avoiding relegation:

"And with several of the six teams below Norwich still to play each other during the remaining three weekends, Leicester and Blackpool are tipped to slip into English football''s third tier once the summer arrives."

"With Scunthorpe''s fate virtually sealed..."

Are there four teams being relegated this year?  Colchester, Scunthorpe, Leicester and Blackpool?

Also, aren''t Scunthorpe mathematically relegated after their defeat to Palace - or have I missed some important maths?

Both statements seem more than a little misleading and easily rephrased for accuracy, but then maybe I''m just being picky...

[quote user="suffolk canary"]

"And with several of the six teams below Norwich still to play each other during the remaining three weekends, Leicester and Blackpool are tipped to slip into English football''s third tier once the summer arrives."

Are there four teams being relegated this year?  Colchester, Scunthorpe, Leicester and Blackpool?

Also, aren''t Scunthorpe mathematically relegated after their defeat to Palace - or have I missed some important maths?

Both statements seem more than a little misleading and easily rephrased for accuracy, but then maybe I''m just being picky...

[/quote]

I had the same thought Suffolk, but then I thought people might think I was being picky.

[/quote]

First of all, there''s nothing wrong with that. If I said Chelsea and Man Utd are both tipped to win the Premier League. Doesn''t mean both of them will? Just both of them are favoured to. The Scunthorpe thing is incorrect though.

[quote user="NegativeVibes"][quote user="suffolk canary"]

[/quote]

First of all, there''s nothing wrong with that. If I said Chelsea and Man Utd are both tipped to win the Premier League. Doesn''t mean both of them will? Just both of them are favoured to. The Scunthorpe thing is incorrect though.

[/quote]See now i dont want to be picky negvibes but didnt you say at the begining of your reply ''theres nothing wrong with it'' and then at the end say there was??? Just askkingOTBC

There''s another good example of sloppy journalism (or maybe sloppy maths!) in today''s EDP. The hack informs us that WBA have scored "EXACTLY" twice as many goals as City. So I check the Championship table printed in the EDP to make sure this info is correct, and surprise, surprise, it''s not. City have scored 44 goals and WBA have scored 83. Ho hum!                                              

aren''t Scunthorpe mathematically relegated after their defeat to Palace - or have I missed some important maths?

[/quote]

I think you did miss the maths actually. 

After Scunthorpe lost to Palace they had 39 points and three games left.  Above them were Leicester on 48 and also at that time Sheff Wed with 48.  Scunny could therefore theoretically have one their last three games, seen the other two lose all theirs and stayed up on goal difference.  It was however unlikely as they would have had to turn around a 20+ goal difference deficit in those games.  Thus the statement that there fate was virually sealed was indeed accurate.

However, Wednesday''s point against Plymouth was the moment that Scunthorpe were technically relegated.  It therefore depends I guess on whether the article in question was written before or after Monday''s game.

If you are going to criticise lazy research........

[quote user="Canary Ben"][quote user="NegativeVibes"][quote user="suffolk canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

See now i dont want to be picky negvibes but didnt you say at the begining of your reply ''theres nothing wrong with it'' and then at the end say there was??? Just askking

OTBC
[/quote]

I was referring to the first bit in bold. Then I went on to agree about the second bit.

[/quote]

Journalist or editing? the article goes through many eyes before being made public id wager...

jas :)

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="suffolk canary"]

aren''t Scunthorpe mathematically relegated after their defeat to Palace - or have I missed some important maths?

[/quote]

I think you did miss the maths actually. 

After Scunthorpe lost to Palace they had 39 points and three games left.  Above them were Leicester on 48 and also at that time Sheff Wed with 48.  Scunny could therefore theoretically have one their last three games, seen the other two lose all theirs and stayed up on goal difference.  It was however unlikely as they would have had to turn around a 20+ goal difference deficit in those games.  Thus the statement that there fate was virually sealed was indeed accurate.

However, Wednesday''s point against Plymouth was the moment that Scunthorpe were technically relegated.  It therefore depends I guess on whether the article in question was written before or after Monday''s game.

If you are going to criticise lazy research........

[/quote]

But they were relegated before Sheffield Wednesday''s draw with Plymouth as Wednesday and Leicester still have to play each other. So it was impossible for both of them to lose all their games.

Jas, the journalist writes it, the editor edits but the article is the product of journalism. We will never know whether the journalist got it wrong or the editor introduced the mistake. Only the editor and journalist will know whether the Archant editorial system is working well or apparently not as in this case.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]

[But they were relegated before Sheffield Wednesday''s draw with Plymouth as Wednesday and Leicester still have to play each other. So it was impossible for both of them to lose all their games.[/quote]

D''oh.  In which case I apologise unreservedly for my own poor research.[:$]