Sign in to follow this  
Snakepit Boy

It's clear-cut . . . isn't it?

I know that everyone''s making predictions all over the place, and none of us actually knows what is going to happen.

But, for what it''s worth, I thnk it''s fairly clear-cut: a point will keep us up, and no points will send us down.

I can''t see Southampton getting anything at West Brom next week, but they could beat Sheff Utd at home in the last game. That would give them 53 points, but they have a worse goal difference than us, so unless we get absolutely thrashed, a point shold see us stay up on goal difference.

If we lose both games and Southanpton beat Sheff Utd, I think we''ll go down. Sheff Wed, by defintion, will catch us if we lose to them, and I can see both Barnsley and Leicester picking up one more point each.

So a point on Saturday should be enough. If we lose both games, though, it''ll probably be "Hello League One".

Yes, that''s true. There are probably several other permutations as well.

But I think the most likely scenario is if we get a point we''re safe, and if we don''t then we''re down.

WBA may have already been promoted by the time they play Southampton, so I wouldn''t predict a Soton loss yet.

It is certainly clear cut that:

..if we beat QPR we stay up whatever happens elsewhere,

..if we draw v QPR our safety being confirmed depends on either of two things happening: Sheff Wed losing and/or Saints losing (we go 3pts ahead with at least an 8 better goal difference),

..if we lose v QPR, we can''t be bottom going into the Sheff Wed game and for peace of mind would need something from it, but in reality could still be safe even if we lost.

At the end of the day, I think one of the first two options is by far the most likely but wouldn''t bet my house on it.  Certainly, if we play anything like we did in the second half yesterday we should be fine.

[quote user="Marty"]WBA may have already been promoted by the time they play Southampton, so I wouldn''t predict a Soton loss yet.[/quote]Well, assuming Stoke beat Colchester, West Brom will still want to win to make sure of the title