Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Norwich fans on autopilot

Did nobody in the Snake Pit have the necessary IQ to realise the "what''s it like to see a crowd?" chant was totally pointless?And as for the fans in the Jarrold stand, sitting with their arms folded and possibly uncrossing them for long enough to break open their clingfilm-wrapped sandwiches - how bad do things have to get before they show some passion and support for the side, or at least something more than apathy?We are in danger of tilting into League One, and I get the impression most of the crowd couldn''t give a monkey''s - it''s still a nice day out at the football, and little Norwich have done so well to be playing against big teams like WBA and Stoke, and we can have a nice American-style burger after the match in Yellows.Just how desperate do things need to be before some supporter backbone is shown?

I disagree, there was passion by the bucketload where I sit in the Jarrold stand.  I also thought the atmosphere was cracking yesterday and we really got behind the team.

And this is where the season ticket policy fails.

I have been at Carrow Road with 14,000 others bursting a gut to compensate for the low numbers and get behind the team with those who really cared and wanted to be there for the right reasons.

We may take the p!ss out of Ipswich town''s low season ticket base but at least the fans there let the club know how they feel and make them work for their support as opposed to complacent Norwich with apathetic fans just getting their money''s worth by turning up.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Did nobody in the Snake Pit have the necessary IQ to realise the "what''s it like to see a crowd?" chant was totally pointless?

[/quote]

This chant is actually an on-going joke in the snake pit involving a ginger haired man, it would still be sung even if we played man utd.

[quote user="sig"]I disagree, there was passion by the bucketload where I sit in the Jarrold stand.  I also thought the atmosphere was cracking yesterday and we really got behind the team.[/quote]You don''t think we were outsung from beginning to end by 2,000 WBA fans?  Maybe I need my ears syringed.  Could I hear the Norwich sing?  Couldn''t hear a freaking thing.

Unbelievable!

So now it''s time to turn on the fans and hold up those Ipswich supporters as an example we should follow. Sometimes I can''t believe some of the rants that happen on this message board.

How come the mascots get away with it[:^)] [&] Surely Captain Canary and Splat The Cat have a case to answer.

If we go down this season blaming the fans will achieve nothing.

You can tell the fans lack passion, excepting and making excuses for the garbage we are constantly served up. Except losers you get losers too many City fans need to wake up and get real, the club is going down the tubes, We are not too good to go down, we are rubbish, Roeder is not God, if we go down, he is as much to blame as Delia and her board of muppets. If we stay up pressure must be brought on the board to let them know we wont stand for another season of dross, if we go down, well ...........

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Unbelievable!

So now it''s time to turn on the fans and hold up those Ipswich supporters as an example we should follow. Sometimes I can''t believe some of the rants that happen on this message board.

How come the mascots get away with it[:^)] [&] Surely Captain Canary and Splat The Cat have a case to answer.

If we go down this season blaming the fans will achieve nothing.

[/quote]

Well, blaming anyone or anything will achieve nothing, Nigel, be it the board, supporters, quality of pies... if we''re down, we''re down. 

I don''t recall suggesting we should behave like the binmen.  I am merely pointing out the observation that if we go down, I don''t think a lot of people will be bothered.  Sleepwalking merrily into League One with season tickets renewed, arms folded and mouths closed.  Delia''s Zombie Army!  Let''s be having you!

We don''t cheer when we play well and don''t boo when we play bad. Passionless. I''m going to be in exile in london next season so i''ll prolly go to couple of the away games, the atmospheres always better.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

Well, blaming anyone or anything will achieve nothing, Nigel, be it the board, supporters, quality of pies... if we''re down, we''re down. 

I don''t recall suggesting we should behave like the binmen.  I am merely pointing out the observation that if we go down, I don''t think a lot of people will be bothered.  Sleepwalking merrily into League One with season tickets renewed, arms folded and mouths closed.  Delia''s Zombie Army!  Let''s be having you!

[/quote]

I didn''t suggest you did say we should behave like binmen my friend, I was referring to another post on this thread that said : We may take the p!ss out of Ipswich town''s low season ticket base but at least the fans there let the club know how they feel and make them work for their support as opposed to complacent Norwich with apathetic fans just getting their money''s worth by turning up.

But out of interest mister.. how did you show your backbone yesterday? Were you a karate chop or a bit of a lamb chop? [;)] How about the rest of the righteous on this thread? How did you show you cared more than others Rudolph? How did Mr Chimps IQ stand out in the crowd? How did you show your passion that the rest of us can only dream of Ricky? Did you type your messages in a more angry manner? Did you cheer or boo yesterday fellas? We played ok didn''t we? Is the atmosphere better at away games? Not always in my opinion, but I guess it''s relative to what game it is. There wasn''t much atmosphere at Wolves, Plymouth or Bury!

City fans are the best in the world, be proud.

Actually for the first time yesterday I sang that song cos I thought it was really appropriate in a way. As we all know Albion are good supporters but I think I am right in saying their average crowd has been about 22,000, so we have done better despite being down the table. But if I take my rose tinted specs off, I do get the impression that alot of people who go/or who even have season tickets are not primarily City fans. My mate who has not got a season ticket was talking to me yesterday about 2 Norwich born and bred relatives of his who have season tickets, one supports Newcastle and one Arsenal. My best mate who is an Albion fan, talks about a West Ham fan at work (London) who goes regularly. I guess alot of Clubs have this ''problem'' but my suspicion is that we probably do have more of these types than say, Stoke, Wolves, etc etc, hence our highier crowds.  Maybe the real hard core has always been about 14,000.  

[quote user="corbs"]Actually for the first time yesterday I sang that song cos I thought it was really appropriate in a way. As we all know Albion are good supporters but I think I am right in saying their average crowd has been about 22,000, so we have done better despite being down the table. But if I take my rose tinted specs off, I do get the impression that alot of people who go/or who even have season tickets are not primarily City fans. My mate who has not got a season ticket was talking to me yesterday about 2 Norwich born and bred relatives of his who have season tickets, one supports Newcastle and one Arsenal. My best mate who is an Albion fan, talks about a West Ham fan at work (London) who goes regularly. I guess alot of Clubs have this ''problem'' but my suspicion is that we probably do have more of these types than say, Stoke, Wolves, etc etc, hence our highier crowds.  Maybe the real hard core has always been about 14,000.  [/quote]yeah - plenty of city fans have 2nd teams they support - usually in the prem.  i was waiting for a cheer to go up in the lower barclay bar for a gooner goal (disallowed) - but to their credit, not a murmer went up from the massed naaarrrwich ranks.  but, this is new on me -  city season ticker holders supporting a prem club first, and city 2nd.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="sig"]I disagree, there was passion by the bucketload where I sit in the Jarrold stand.  I also thought the atmosphere was cracking yesterday and we really got behind the team.[/quote]You don''t think we were outsung from beginning to end by 2,000 WBA fans?  Maybe I need my ears syringed.  Could I hear the Norwich sing?  Couldn''t hear a freaking thing.[/quote]they didnt sing except from when they scored.....and leaving the ground....

[quote user="corbs"]Actually for the first time yesterday I sang that song cos I thought it was really appropriate in a way. As we all know Albion are good supporters but I think I am right in saying their average crowd has been about 22,000, so we have done better despite being down the table. But if I take my rose tinted specs off, I do get the impression that alot of people who go/or who even have season tickets are not primarily City fans. My mate who has not got a season ticket was talking to me yesterday about 2 Norwich born and bred relatives of his who have season tickets, one supports Newcastle and one Arsenal. My best mate who is an Albion fan, talks about a West Ham fan at work (London) who goes regularly. I guess alot of Clubs have this ''problem'' but my suspicion is that we probably do have more of these types than say, Stoke, Wolves, etc etc, hence our highier crowds.  Maybe the real hard core has always been about 14,000.  [/quote]I do not support Norwich; my team is Yeovil Town. However in my defence, I was born in Norwich (in the old hospital) and I am being raised in a village just outside the city. When I go to games I am willing to shout for the team because I do have a special place in my heart for Norwich. I would help the side by cheering them on and am not scared to shout out. I support Yeovil, but still like Norwich.In the future I am going to be manager of Norwich City, so watch this space [;)]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="sig"]I disagree, there was passion by the bucketload where I sit in the Jarrold stand.  I also thought the atmosphere was cracking yesterday and we really got behind the team.[/quote]

You don''t think we were outsung from beginning to end by 2,000 WBA fans?  Maybe I need my ears syringed.  Could I hear the Norwich sing?  Couldn''t hear a freaking thing.
[/quote]

Of course the Albion fans were vocal, their team were top of the league and on the brink of going up.  Any other set of fans would have been the same.  My point is that you can''t tar everyone with the same brush.  You can''t be sitting everywhere so you can''t judge what''s going on.  The atmosphere was good yesterday as I''m sure others would agree (probably helped by the vocal away support) and I''m sure it will be again next week.

I thought the atmosphere was far better than it has been for a long time but not as good as it should have been in the circumstances. It frustrates me how such a small percentage of the crowd seems to contribute to the noise levels though, probably because there''s to many children and pensioners and not enough lads. Albion fans were loud when they did sing but I thought they were pretty quiet for most of the second half.

"probably because there''s to many children and pensioners and not enough lads."

Trouble is kd, that a lot of those ''lads'' do not take their seats in the Lower Barclay until about 3 minutes before KO - I was watching this on Saturday.

The supposedly ''most vocal'' area of the ground is too busy supping in the luxurious ''super'' lounge the Club has built them. They are also the first away at about 41-42 minutes and do not return to their seats until 2-3 minutes after the second half has kicked off.

In other grounds this is the preserve of the ''prawn sandwich''/corporate areas - sadly, with us it seems to be the ones who always used to build up the ''atmosphere'' who are too busy texting their mates and nipping off to the bar to get things going.

I await the inevitable comments about the other areas of the ground not ''helping'' - that''s true, but traditionally it''s the Barclay (and Snakepit) that leads the singing and the rest of us follow.

The Barclay is a pathetic shadow of what it used to be. It is not too dissimilar a mix from the rest of the ground people wise. A lot of the people who go in there say they like the atmosphere but have no intention of contributing to it.

This ''sell out every week'' thing is becomming a bit of a joke isn''t it? We are just sheep.

I have my season ticket for next season and the Club have my money but I did not go on Saturday because I do not consider the team to be worth the effort. I am still smarting at the Hull debacle and wondering why i turned up that day but none of the players did.

I posted a long time ago that City fans needed a mass stay away as nothing shouts louder than a bank of empty seats. City have for a long time not had to work for their support and the complacency has riddled the Club.

Good on you Nutty for your fulsome support but while my heart is always with NCFC my mind tells me the Club also deserves repercussions from fans and it isn''t only Ipswich supporters who do this - that was just because we played them recently - many fans are the same. It must be the old forelock tugging, low wage tied cottage culture that keeps Norfolk people tolerant and unquestioning:  but not this Norfolk boy!

The atmosphore was not helped by the over zealous Steward in the Barclays Lower on saturday!  I did start a thread on this point thhis morning but it got refused with no reason.  If someone from the web team could give me a reason it would be great as i wont waste time writing a post like it again!! cheers

No we are not becoming a bit of a joke Rudolph and we certainly are not sheep. I''m a proud good old Norfolk boy just like you and we have plenty to be proud of. The fact that our club has been letting us down for the last three seasons is not the fault of Norfolk people or Norwich fans. We played a lot of clubs recently so there''s no real need to hold Ipswich up as an example to us. Another poster on here suggested to me last week that we took the easy way out by not going into administration where as clubs like Ipswich and Leicester had it tough because they cheated the sytem and ripped off their fans and local businesses. I am a proud city fan and enjoy being in the company of other city fans and I can tell you, like it or not, that we are the envy of other clubs up and down the land.

The Barclay is different from how it used to be. It has changed many times through the years. From the 60''s with no fences, just a line of policemen to the 70''s and the fences through to the 90''s where the biggest change was making it all seated whuich of course contributed to a reduction in noise and atmosphere. Now it''s more family orientated and not so ''laddish'' for want of a better word. But that''s not unique to Norwich, it''s the same at every ground.

Times have changed Rudolph. I am thinking back to the early 90''s now, probably the last season before the old Barclay was demolished, and a game we lost 4-0 at home to Wimbledon. We were an established top tier team at the time but we were playing in front of just 12,000. I remember a sit down protest in the Barclay against Robert Chase because fans were disgruntled over the sales of Townsend and Linighan and Chase only spending peanuts on the likes of Polston, Blades and Woodthorpe. That protest wouldn''t happen now at any ground not just ours. And is also a reminder of how quickly things can change in football because just two years later we were top of the Premiership on our way into Europe.

Nutty, I am suggesting Norwich supporters take too long to react and show their displeasure and as a result end up bitter and recriminatory.

Just as an example, look how Worthington ended up when a kind early exit would have been better all round.

One thing we can surely agree on though....relegation would be a disaster and personally I would see us struggling just as much in League 1.

I have said before Rudolph, relegation would be a disaster because I don''t believe we would have any better chance of getting out of League One than we do The Championship.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

Nutty, I am suggesting Norwich supporters take too long to react and show their displeasure and as a result end up bitter and recriminatory.

Just as an example, look how Worthington ended up when a kind early exit would have been better all round.

One thing we can surely agree on though....relegation would be a disaster and personally I would see us struggling just as much in League 1.

[/quote]

Now Rude Old , I react like a rocket and I have never ended up bitter or recriminatory , I don''t know how anyone can blame the fans for our predicament at this time , in fact I would say the fans deserve better from our club , not the other way round you silly old sxd , I know we wont be relegated this season and I know you know this as well .

Even If we were ever relegated , I would still be a fan because my commitment is for life , In other words a life sentence bringing you lovely old City fans the Free Bet for my beloved club , and going on as long as I can for my beloved club , rest assured I will never turn my back on the club that I have loved all my life where ever we end up . arrdee.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]This was exactly the point I was trying to make... not blaming the fans for our current position, but pointing out that there doesn''t seem to be anything other than a placid acceptance of how far we have sunk.

YTFC. Out of curiosity could you say why you support Yeovil? I am not being over critical as I was born in South London, and the first team I ever ''watched'' (I avoid saying Supported) was Palace, but when the family moved to Norwich in 1971 I started to go to City, and have been going regularly every year since 1976, despite the fact that I have lived in London since 1996 (and have not lived in Norwich since 1987).

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

This was exactly the point I was trying to make... not blaming the fans for our current position, but pointing out that there doesn''t seem to be anything other than a placid acceptance of how far we have sunk.

[/quote]

But surely you are then part of it mister because you bought your ticket and then placidly accepted it like the rest of us. It really isn''t the fans fault my friend.

ok im gonna drop in possibly the most likely point to cause an uproar on this board ever (if ur from Norwich), but bear with me......

football has always been a working class game, the life and blood of all teams support is the working class.  This may only be an observation, but im born and raised in Watford (mothers side from gorleston hence being a city fan)..... and i have to say the really vociferous norwich support ive heard has been in away games down in london or at carrow road by either Norfolk exiles who care so much they come up from london or wherever every saturday, or yarmouth/gorleston boys. Im sure ill get slated for the next point too, but having been away in south america the whole of last year, i went home for a month. Went to visit my sister in london and the next week went up to norwich to see bloody Hull (that says it all!)!! This time i really noticed how middle class, quiet, respectable and dull norwich can be.....i love the place and its the only place in the UK id ever live, but it does not breed the kind of passionate VOCAL support thats required (i remember trying to get us to outsing Celtic fans for the physios testimonial, what a joke that was! Stood all game embarassed to be in Carrow Road that evening)  My old man is a Wolves fan and growing up he always told me one thing...........Norwich are just too nice. And its bloody true.  We never had that Keanesque midfielder that would kick lumps, and weve never had a fan base that causes huge noise and occasionally trouble (im not advocating violence at all....the number one reason im so proud to be norwich and not say Wolves, like my dad, is that we are not a bunch of neanderthals).

I wont dream of going into the whole im a bigger fan than you debate, but lets just say i suffered Rioch, hamilton and the rest and always made a shite load of noise down in the lower barclay (once at the city ground even giving our away support shite for not singing). Im not a hooligan, far from it, and i am in fact middle class (someone will bring that up im sure), but i am passionate about my side and feel the ONLY reason to go and watch a football game LIVE is to be a part of it (i.e make some bloody noise!!).  Im out in South Korea again now and therefore unable to attend on saturday, so this is a heartfelt plee to all those people that sit on their hands but have always wanted to join in..........get up an alehouse before the game, loosen those tonsils and get behind the boys......they might be the worst squad in a long time, but they still wear yellow and green.....

OTBC

PS. Bring back the terraces...................................

There''s certainly a lot of truth in this post 6088m Canary, so I don''t see why it should cause uproar!

But to be fair, when we talk about Norwich fans we are not neccessarily talking about people who live in the City. "We are the Norwich boys" is a reference to the team we support rather than where we live. Now I really am a Norwich Boy but the season ticket holders around me in the Barclay certainly aren''t. To my left is a Lowestoft ''Norwich Boy'' and to my right are West Norfolk ''Norwich Boys'' and behind me are North London ''Norwich Boys'' who travel up to every game. And it''s the same when I travel to away games where a large proportion of the people I travel with come from outside the City. In fact thinking about it I spend most of my time at matches with fans from the county, particularly West Norfolk, Lowestoft and Yarmouth.

There is no doubt that football fans are more affluent now but then society as a whole is. I often get a bus to the city on a Saturday lunchtime and then walk to the ground. There will never be more than a couple of other fans on these buses and yet as a kid I remember the buses being packed with people going to the games. But I guess not so many people use the buses these days anyway.

But again I wouldn''t think this is unique to us. Is the Stretford End or The Kop full of the same working class people that the terraces were packed with in the 60''s & 70''s?

Are we too nice? Glen Roeder thinks so and is hopefully addressing it. Trevor Hockey wasn''t too nice but he was good and he was honest. So a bit more good and honest but not too nice is maybe what this club needs. There''s a difference between that and the cheating dishonesty that has been shown by the othet club mentioned in this thread.