Sign in to follow this  
Bernard  Futter

HUCKERBY - WHAT A WAY TO TREAT A LOYAL SERVANT

It is always dangerous to react on hearing one side of any story, but Darren Huckerby''s latest comments re the lack of ongoing contract discussions really does point to admin at the Carrow Road being more of the chip shop variety rather than their own perception of a gourmet''s delight!Clearly, it would be rash to extend one presumes the highest earner''s contract when it is uncertain even what division the team will be playing in next season.But surely the Club could come out and say "If we are still in the same league and we can reach an accommodation on the numbers, we would like you to stay...If in the meantime he finds a better offer elswhere, that is a risk that has to be taken.Remember, this is the guy who virtually singlehandedly got the Club the riches of promotion (and 2x parachute payments).Perhaps there''s also a big strand of ''not invented here'' syndrome by Roeder in the same way the buffoonic Worthington* wouldn''t touch Chris Sutton? *Yes we know he signed Huckerby - he had to get one acquisition right out of all the dross he signed.

Just one right Bernard? He also buffoonically (is this a real word??) signed Dublin instead of Sutton, which according to some was the BSOC (buffoonic signing of the century). Turned out nice again though [H]

I really don''t know about Hucks, and it''s not just Hucks. There are other players in the same boat regarding contracts, including Doherty and Fotheringham. Both would easily get another club at this level. Hucks is different I agree because his would be a one year deal. But I didn''t think players had direct contact with clubs anymore. I thought it was done between their agents and the clubs with both parties releasing whatever statements they deem fit to the press regardless of what the fans think.

Football is a tough business. We don''t know what has happened behind the scenes (for instance he might not be interested in staying) but paying him another year at his current wage is not value for money. The interests of the club always preceed the interests of an individual.

Ps, He is not a servant. He was a great player who got well rewarded for his efforts.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Just one right Bernard? He also buffoonically (is this a real word??) signed Dublin instead of Sutton, which according to some was the BSOC (buffoonic signing of the century). Turned out nice again though [H]

[/quote]

well not in the scoring a lot of goals stakes, but Dublin has been a great servant.  I think how he has done shows how appalling the rest have been really.  We will never know how well Sutton might have done since he had his career ending eye injury at Villa.

I really don''t know about Hucks, and it''s not just Hucks. There are other players in the same boat regarding contracts, including Doherty and Fotheringham. Both would easily get another club at this level. Hucks is different I agree because his would be a one year deal.

[/quote]

Hucks would easily get another club at this level should he choose too.  He is a First XIer still at NCFC and still our most dangerous player.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

well not in the scoring a lot of goals stakes, but Dublin has been a great servant.  I think how he has done shows how appalling the rest have been really.  We will never know how well Sutton might have done since he had his career ending eye injury at Villa.

I really don''t know about Hucks, and it''s not just Hucks. There are other players in the same boat regarding contracts, including Doherty and Fotheringham. Both would easily get another club at this level. Hucks is different I agree because his would be a one year deal.

[/quote]

Hucks would easily get another club at this level should he choose too.  He is a First XIer still at NCFC and still our most dangerous player.

[/quote]

I didn''t say Hucks wouldn''t get another club at this level. I said the difference was Hucks would get a one year deal.

I agree we don''t know how well Sutton could have done and whether he would have turned out better than Dublin. But if you STILL can''t give credit for the signing of Dion then you are a very bitter poster.

Glenn Roeder is the manager and is paid to make these decisions.

Darren Huckerby will leave Norwich city at the end of the season.. it looks extremely likeley now....

thanks for the memories Hucks and good luck,

to the Original poster.. should the club have offered him a deal based on past glories alone?

jas :)

I didn''t say Hucks wouldn''t get another club at this level. I said the difference was Hucks would get a one year deal.

I agree we don''t know how well Sutton could have done and whether he would have turned out better than Dublin. But if you STILL can''t give credit for the signing of Dion then you are a very bitter poster.

[/quote]

I have already given him credit for the Dion signing! And will do again, a great signing by Worthy!

As regards to these contracts, I feel the decision not to offer any of these three a deal could work against us come the summer,  Fozzy has already stated he might leave on a free.  Doc and Hucks would no doubt sign if offered.

"Still our most dangerous player" - definitely not, that''s Evans. Take the WBA game - apart from his offside "goal", Hux was hopeless. He couldn''t put a damgerous cross or spot-kick in. I actually think Bertrand is more dasngerous that Huckerby these days.

The way he''s played the game recently shows he''s still got the ability and desire to play at this level. I cannot believe he''s not been signed on again. When we''ve not got loads of money to spend and when we''re going to need several additions to the squad it seems a bit stupid (to be honest) to let such a good player leave.

Unless of course they''ve already got quality players on agreements to join us.

Forget past glories; Darren Huckerby should be offered a new contract based on the fact that he''s one of the best attacking players outside the Premiership.I can''t believe the club have even let it get to this stage, I really can''t. But don''t worry - we might be able to persuade Arsenal to let us have Gibbs for another season instead...

I think the only reason contracts have not been sorted is because we still don''t know what league we will be playing in next season.

lol Chris! I dobt hucks will sit at a desk avoding the flying footballs ot sign on the penalty spot in front of the barclay...

Will the crowd go mental for an ageing winger, losing his pace, who cant do it week in-week out anymore?

We need to plan for a team without Hucks... and its going to happen this summer im afraid.

I''ll be sad to see him but this isnt Roy of the Rovers.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

lol Chris! I dobt hucks will sit at a desk avoding the flying footballs ot sign on the penalty spot in front of the barclay...

Will the crowd go mental for an ageing winger, losing his pace, who cant do it week in-week out anymore?

We need to plan for a team without Hucks... and its going to happen this summer im afraid.

[/quote]

Spot on Jas, we have already seen this season that some of that spark and flair has gone, age, injury, who cares what it is, it aint like it was and his wages are probably double anyone elses. The time has now come we need to get over Hucks and move on

[quote user="Old Boy"]"Still our most dangerous player" - definitely not, that''s Evans. Take the WBA game - apart from his offside "goal", Hux was hopeless. He couldn''t put a damgerous cross or spot-kick in. I actually think Bertrand is more dasngerous that Huckerby these days.
[/quote]

Don''t mean to be impolite but I think that you are talking utter b*ll**ks.

You can''t get away from the fact that he has lost some of his pace but don''t forget he has been playing for most of the season with an injury. The last few games some of the old spark has been there. He was almost back to his best at Bristol and despite views of others on this board i thought he had as good a game as anyone else on Saturday.

He should be a part of our team next year although a significant wage cut should be part of the deal. The board are being very short sighted with not sorting out contracts before the end of the season. If we get relegated Doherty and Fotheringham will walk away for nothing, Huckerby would be almost unplayable in Div 1 and certainly a hell of a lot better than the sort of players we could attract to the club in that league. You can also forget any Premier league loan players as well. It doesnt happen. Any loan players would be from Championship teams. We have all seen the general quality of this league, what sort of loan players are you going to get.

Relegation and we will struggle to get any decent players.  Sign Huckerby now.

Top post Ghost.

Quite frankly I don''t know how to face this weekend (game and open day). Anger or tears - probably a mixture of both. Some fans (including the celebs on the board) have very short memories.

yeah - but he''s a loyal servant who speaks his mind (and outa turn) purely in the best interest of NCFC.  his whistleblowing in the summer was slagged off by many on here - but make no mistake - he''s been proved right.  also, its clear hux didn''t rate grant - did he rock the boat in the dressing room??? just as malky was shamefully ditched and eddy booted out (both of whom helped get their new teams promoted) i wouldn''t be surprised to see hucks go because of his outspokenness/contract issues - rather than on the basis of his footballing abilities and what he could do for NCFC.however, dazzer needs a reality check, if he is attempting to renew his contract on the same terms - the money ain''t there - thats for sure...

Would love him to sign. Like someone said, Hucks stills offers a lot to us and is still a very good player, not as good as before bit still a very competant player for this level. A supersub role could be utilised too.

FAO Old Boy

You are missing just one little, minor detail

Ched Evans is on loan, as for that matter is Ryan Bertrand and won''t be here next season.  Evans is not OUR player. Huckerby is, could be next season.

Surely if we were serious about wanting to keep Hucks a deal could be agreed with him for a new contract subject to us retaining our championship status. Or at the very least Roeder could have tipped Hucks the wink. The fact this hasn''t happened suggests strongly to me he will not be about.

I don''t understand it either, surely he can say to the players he wants to keep, if we stay in the championship we can offer you x pounds but if we go down it will be x pounds??

[quote user="Delias Devonshire Dirtbox"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Spot on Jas, we have already seen this season that some of that spark and flair has gone, age, injury, who cares what it is, it aint like it was and his wages are probably double anyone elses. The time has now come we need to get over Hucks and move on

[/quote]

and you really think the board will spend enough to get someone better to replace him ? His wages are speculative and irrelevant. They merely reflect his value.

Once they''ve given up buying some decent players at market rates (transfer fees & wages) we''ll be left with the left-overs bought for undisclosed fees.

He''s not the player he was but he''s still an asset that we would be foolish to let slip through our hands.

Tell me why opposition teams still treat him with more respect (than apparently some of his own team''s fans do!) ?

[quote user="cityangel"]I don''t understand it either, surely he can say to the players he wants to keep, if we stay in the championship we can offer you x pounds but if we go down it will be x pounds??[/quote]

I might be wrong here CA but the way I understand it Hucks doesn''t deal with the club over contracts, I got the impression from what has been said in the past that his agent does. I also get the impression that any statements from either side during contract negotiations totally mislead the fans. That''s what''s always happened in the past anyway.