Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Was life under Mr Chase really that bad?

Yes, we sold our best players, and yes, there was certainly debt. but hell, under Queen Bee Delia we still do/have that now. So I list some things I miss that we had under Mr Chase''s reign:

1. Compeating with the best teams in the land and in the top league as well.

2. Regular live TV coverage.

3. Exciting City players and a City side that was the envy of many opposition fans.

4 No Delia Smith or Mr Doncaster.

5. Mike Walker.

6. Beating Scum.

7. Cup runs.

8. Euorpean Football.

I could go on but I''ll leave it to you to either agree or disagree.

Taken from my thread on carrowroad.net

I agree Chase was not all bad Wiz. He was left exposed by the way he handled the bank finances.Luck played a major part in his downfall. One more win and we and he would have survived, as would Walker and all. Not such a backroom team then but all were loyal and NCFC through and through. I still think the club and specially the academy miss Gordon Bennett and that total support from within. They did not just pay lip service they lived the club. I still think a change in emphasis in "sing UP the Barclay" at that stage would have been more appropriate if you know what I mean!!

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Yes, we sold our best players, and yes, there was certainly debt. but hell, under Queen Bee Delia we still do/have that now. So I list some things I miss that we had under Mr Chase''s reign:

1. Compeating with the best teams in the land and in the top league as well.

2. Regular live TV coverage.

3. Exciting City players and a City side that was the envy of many opposition fans.

4 No Delia Smith or Mr Doncaster.

5. Mike Walker.

6. Beating Scum.

7. Cup runs.

8. Euorpean Football.

[/quote]

Well perhaps you and the lynch mob shouln''t have chased him out of the city then? Oh, hang on. Of course you should.

Or should you? Perhaps you were wrong all those years ago? Perhaps you''re wrong now???

Who knows anymore!!!

Who cares.

1. Compeating with the best teams in the land and in the top league as well.      Wiz that was 15 years ago.  Football has moved on.  Dont forget that at the same time WBA were in the old 2nd division, Nottingham Forest were winning cups, Wigan Athletic were in the old 3rd Division, Wimbledon football club existed.  Remembering the good times is great, my memories of that era are great, but that is all they are...memories.

It is also worth remembering that we were relegated under Chase.  Trouble is you are only thinking about the good times, next time you decide to reminisce try thinking back to the crap as well.

2. Regular live TV coverage.   Sky TV I am afraid.  Nothing to do with Delia or Chase.  Imagine you are working for Sky, your job is scheduling live football and you have to think about advertising revenue from advert sponsorship.  Do you screen A. Norwich v Burnley or B. Arsenal v Manchester City.

3. Exciting City players and a City side that was the envy of many opposition fans.   Exciting players yes, and my god did we have some.  Ian Crook is still one of my favourite all time players, alongside the likes of Ruel Fox, Kevin Drinkell.  Again nice memories.  But again you forget to remember the crap players - Dean Coney, Robert Rosario, Paul Blades, Graham Benstead, Mark Walton etc. etc.

Also has Huckerby not been an exciting player.  What about McKenzie, Mulryne before he got fat.  Mark Rivers always made me smile, so did Steeno.

4 No Delia Smith or Mr Doncaster.   Old wound.  Would we be here without her.  Truth is nobody knows so pointless bringing this one back from the dead.

5. Mike Walker.   Left the club because Chase wouldn''t give him a 2 year contract, instead left him on the same 12 month rolling contract he had when he was reserve team manager.  Can''t blame him for moving on really.  Lets add Walker to the list with Martin O''Neill as another quality manager who left because of the Chairman.  Again, this is a prime case of only remembering the good and forgetting the bad.

6. Beating Scum.   We will beat them again.  These things go round in little cycles anyway.

7. Cup runs.   I miss those too.  The 2 FA cup semi''s were great.

8. European Football.   We only had one european run ever.  It was great and I would love another .  With football as it is now will it ever happen?  Maybe but only if there is another freak season like this one and we do a Cardiff.

So were things really that bad under Chase.  Yes they were, that is why we stood outside the City stand chanting Chase out, that is why we got charged by mounted police.  Selective memory wizard, remember the good forget the bad.  Everyone does it.

[/quote]

[quote user="The Butler"]I agree Chase was not all bad Wiz. He was left exposed by the way he handled the bank finances.Luck played a major part in his downfall. One more win and we and he would have survived, as would Walker and all. Not such a backroom team then but all were loyal and NCFC through and through. I still think the club and specially the academy miss Gordon Bennett and that total support from within. They did not just pay lip service they lived the club. I still think a change in emphasis in "sing UP the Barclay" at that stage would have been more appropriate if you know what I mean!![/quote]

I think the academy wishes there were no catchment and travelling restrictions anymore.

Yes, we sold our best players, and yes, there was certainly debt. but hell, under Queen Bee Delia we still do/have that now. So I list some things I miss that we had under Mr Chase''s reign:1. Compeating with the best teams in the land and in the top league as well.2. Regular live TV coverage.3. Exciting City players and a City side that was the envy of many opposition fans.4 No Delia Smith or Mr Doncaster.5. Mike Walker.6. Beating Scum.7. Cup runs.8. Euorpean Football.I could go on but I''ll leave it to you to either agree or disagree.

[/quote]I sort of agree to some extent Wiz old bean.The thing is Chase was like Worthington - his success was only experienced for half decent period of time before it started dropping off. What Chase did give us, was a taste of the big time, the problem is he then cost the club at the most critical time - just when all the sky deals etc started coming into the game and when English football was on the up again after missing out on the world cup. Basically we missed out on the "boom" which left us several years behind.And that is the reality - each year the premiership progresses it leaves the other leagues further behind to the point that even good teams in the Championship can struggle up there.But if the Chase fiasco has taught us one thing it should be that when we experience it we appreciate it and when we see our team out there struggling the best thing to do is to get behind them because in this age of football you can expect and assume nothing. Without that two to three year spell I don''t think half of the people on here would be half as bitter either. Swings and roundabouts.I will never forget those European games which set a football fever across the City - but I would rather forget some of the rubbish I read on here sometimes about how things would be better blah blah blah.

Having read Gunnys book it is interesting to see just how Generous Robert Chase was to the players and staff at the football club at the time.. he also seemed to be very well thought of....

jas :)

[quote user="jimmy500"]

[quote user="The Butler"]I agree Chase was not all bad Wiz. He was left exposed by the way he handled the bank finances.Luck played a major part in his downfall. One more win and we and he would have survived, as would Walker and all. Not such a backroom team then but all were loyal and NCFC through and through. I still think the club and specially the academy miss Gordon Bennett and that total support from within. They did not just pay lip service they lived the club. I still think a change in emphasis in "sing UP the Barclay" at that stage would have been more appropriate if you know what I mean!![/quote]

I think the academy wishes there were no catchment and travelling restrictions anymore.

[/quote]Shame mermaids can''t play footy, loads of em off the North Norfolk coast.  That''s what a salty sea-dog told me when I was in Yarmouth.

You are learning the wrong lesson from this post, Wiz. Sure Chase wasn''t the monster he is demonised as. But all this goes to show is that criticisms odf Chairman, boards and owners is quite hysterically over the top at most times unless the team provides an unbroken run of success. Now run the sense check against your posts on Smith and Doncaster.

Has the penny dropped?

It''s amazing how people twist things. The point I was making was that the academy was more succesful and produced a crop of first team players when GB was in charge. Yes catchment areas play a big part BUT how many good local lads have been missed or moved on over the last few years. Not everything in Chases time was bad. A lot of trouble was exagerated to work with other agendas. I say again Chase did many daft things and yes did need to go, but the club has lived on some of his "stupidity" for several years and luck did play a big part in his final weeks, helped in no small part by the bank and other background people. I didn''t hear cries for his head when we were travelling round Europe or coming third in the prem. Just as people shouted Worthy out and demanded the head of Brown/Stringer etc etc when luck went against them. Football is an inexact science made up of many individuals and luck plays a big part, unlike hindsight.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Having read Gunnys book it is interesting to see just how Generous Robert Chase was to the players and staff at the football club at the time.. he also seemed to be very well thought of....

jas :)

[/quote]

v.funny tongue in cheek post. (I hope)

In the days when we had our own radio station [RADIO CANARY ]  i had the chance to rant at our so called chairman and was chosen to attend a match as guest of the club .                  I took my son and was met in reception by  Mr Chase he smiled and told us he hoped we would enjoy the game ahead  ,  We sat with the then Anglia tv newsreader  Helen Mcdermot  [ this was her first taste of carrow rd ]   city lost to Luton 1-0  and at the half time interval  i had the chance to speak with Martin O''neil''s  then right hand man Paul Franklin  , he said in no uncertain terms that Martin loved this club and was forced into a decision he did not want to make  .                            The best bit though happened when the match had finished  ,  there was a rowdy protest forming outside the main stand  which  Mr Chase seemed to enjoy  far from showing concern at  the crowd anger toward him he just laughed and ordered  more drinks saying  he would wait however long it took  .              This angered me more than anything Delia  has said or done since ,   he gave the impression  that  this was his club and HIS only  , the fans just did not seem to matter to him at all  . 

Yes of course Wiz you lovely old boy you can hold your head up high and say "I was instrumental in the removal of Mr Chase , I will never forget your act of defiance shacking your fists at those police horses and saying "come on then lets see what you have got" which I thought was foolhardy in the extreme , for goodness sake Wiz there was sparks coming off  his steel hoofs , sparks I could have lit my pipe off .

You did seem to have an extra gear in reverse , I remember thinking at the time you were doing more damage than Boudica in her chariot , those  you were not mowing down you were collecting on you back which of course proved your undoing and made you vulnerable to that wicked gelding with vengeance in his eyes . Well thankfully Wiz you came out of it unscathed physical that is . always remember Wiz you will be remembered in the highest esteem by us City supporters for your heroics on that fateful day .arrdee.

[quote user="King Juan of Spain"]

Under Chase we were in the black.

Then he left us in the red.

Which meant that under Delia, we''ve never had any money

But at least we haven''t gone bust.

End of story.

[/quote]Ole, Juan. At last someone who doesn''t feel the need to rewrite history. Chase nearly destroyed this club at the worst possible time, just as the Premier League millions would have come rolling in. We have never recovered. That''s not to say that the current board haven''t made mistakes, of course they have. But nothing compared to the damage Chase did.You should know better, Wiz.

he let it go to his head - top 6 until gunny got crocked at forest - took a cheap option with andy marshall in goal and down we went.  if u think about it, thats taking the p@ss big time, and he got what he deserved.as for delia - they''re taking the juice by not backing roedy in the jan window - 4 ''young boys'' drafted in and guess what - championship winning form is swapped for bottom 6 form.  instead of following hull into the top 6 - we''ve been sucked into the lower regions of this tough league. what the question should''ve been is:-IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHASE AND THE SMITHS???

The reality is, we''re not comparing like with like.

Before the ealry 1990''s you could probably go half way down the old second division table, promote any one of those teams into the old first division and they''d make a decent fist out of the following season. Now, the money gained from being in the Premiership gives those teams a hugh advantage over any promoted from the Championship.

Yep, the times under Chase were good, but how would he do if he had his time again now? The honest truth is, we''ll never know, but, almost certainly, not as well as he did then.

Put the boot on the other foot, how much better / worse would the current regime have done had they been in control back in the early 90''s? Again, we''ll never know.

There is very little to choose between Chase and the current lot imo, both guilty of selling off the better players and replacing them with cheap rubbish, only difference is we are a division lower than we were in the Chase days. Don''t go for all this at least we''ve still got a club stuff either, the fact is that if we carry on how we have done for much longer we''ll end up in league 2, we won''t have a club left to support if that happens.

[quote user="kdncfc"]

There is very little to choose between Chase and the current lot imo, both guilty of selling off the better players and replacing them with cheap rubbish, only difference is we are a division lower than we were in the Chase days. Don''t go for all this at least we''ve still got a club stuff either, the fact is that if we carry on how we have done for much longer we''ll end up in league 2, we won''t have a club left to support if that happens.

[/quote]

Chase left was responsible for the decline too, he didn''t leave us when we were a division higher did he?

If Delia keeps running this club as she has done for the last few years we will end up relegated , every year we are getting worse and the squad now must rank as one of the worst ever .The Chase era might have turned sour at the end but during his time at the club we had the best teams and most success this club will probably ever see ,nothing Delia has achieved even comes close , but shes a celebrity and a female so most of the Norfolk population think shes a saint and our saviour , she most definately is not.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"] he let it go to his head - top 6 until gunny got crocked at forest - took a cheap option with andy marshall in goal and down we went.  if u think about it, thats taking the p@ss big time, and he got what he deserved.

as for delia - they''re taking the juice by not backing roedy in the jan window - 4 ''young boys'' drafted in and guess what - championship winning form is swapped for bottom 6 form.  instead of following hull into the top 6 - we''ve been sucked into the lower regions of this tough league.

what the question should''ve been is:-

IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHASE AND THE SMITHS???

[/quote]

How many times do you need to be told that Roeder had a budget for January, HE CHOSE NOT TO SPEND IT.  The paper has reported that, Neil Doncaster for what it is worth has said that, Glen Roeder himself has said that.  IS IT GOING IN.  The board did back Roeder in January, he wanted the backing KEPT FOR THE SUMMER.

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[/quote]

No, we were relegated under Chase so technically we are in the same division.

So if Roeder chose not to spend in January and we did go down surely he would have to share the blame for our demise and would not be the god he is being made out to be. I think we will stay up just but just asking as i have my concerns lately about Roeder, although i still back him, poviding we do stay up.

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]

If Delia keeps running this club as she has done for the last few years we will end up relegated , every year we are getting worse and the squad now must rank as one of the worst ever .The Chase era might have turned sour at the end but during his time at the club we had the best teams and most success this club will probably ever see ,nothing Delia has achieved even comes close , but shes a celebrity and a female so most of the Norfolk population think shes a saint and our saviour , she most definately is not.

[/quote]Delia does not run this club! At a push you would have to admit it is her and her husband. But I think you will find that there is a board that runs this club. I mean I could be mistaken but somehow I don''t think I am.The other obvious floor is that if Chase was that brilliant he would never have allowed the club to be relegated, he not only forced out Martin O''Neil but he seemed to only really get on with one or two managers in his entire time with us.As for Delia - where were we when the current board with her took the helm? Not far from where we are now I know but to suggest that we haven''t competed in this league over the last ten years is a bit harsh. The Rioch era was progress, Hamilton a mistake, Worthington - well we didn''t taste life outside of the top ten until the last season or so with him so you couldn''t call that uncompetative.Yes we haven''t had European football but it is hard to attract the calibre of player that existed back then, how many were cheap nobodies before they came to this club to shine?

[quote user="jimmy500"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"] he let it go to his head - top 6 until gunny got crocked at forest - took a cheap option with andy marshall in goal and down we went.  if u think about it, thats taking the p@ss big time, and he got what he deserved.as for delia - they''re taking the juice by not backing roedy in the jan window - 4 ''young boys'' drafted in and guess what - championship winning form is swapped for bottom 6 form.  instead of following hull into the top 6 - we''ve been sucked into the lower regions of this tough league. what the question should''ve been is:-IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHASE AND THE SMITHS???

[/quote]

How many times do you need to be told that Roeder had a budget for January, HE CHOSE NOT TO SPEND IT.  The paper has reported that, Neil Doncaster for what it is worth has said that, Glen Roeder himself has said that.  IS IT GOING IN.  The board did back Roeder in January, he wanted the backing KEPT FOR THE SUMMER.

[/quote]are you seriously and in all honestly suggesting that if roedy had an

appropriate level of funds he wouldn''t have spent it???  he sold quick

enough - and i believe would have also bought quick enough given the

resources. having an inadequate budget is clearly wot roedy had???  if not the likes of tiny taylor would be here, and we would be clear of the relegation zone in my view, instead of mathmatically hovering around it.  instead he spent a painful waiting game (as most city managers do) missed out on his targets and was paniced into getting 4 young loanees in - when, we already had too many here to field them all on the pitch under football league rules.  did you, or even roedy, imagine that would happen at the start of the jan window???  i call it p*ss poor - you can call it what you like as is your right. the only fact you should pay heed to is that roedy made a transfer profit in jan to see where our real problems are - money, or a lack of it.  doncasters black hole is more active than you think.  moreover, the statements out of the club post-window suggested roedys summer money is under threat.  no surprises there.  do you believe these stories from fozzy, roedy and mumbers??? or are you content to keep your fingers cross and hope for the best???

[quote user="HOCKEYMYHERO"]In the days when we had our own radio station [RADIO CANARY ]  i had the chance to rant at our so called chairman and was chosen to attend a match as guest of the club .                  I took my son and was met in reception by  Mr Chase he smiled and told us he hoped we would enjoy the game ahead  ,  We sat with the then Anglia tv newsreader  Helen Mcdermot  [ this was her first taste of carrow rd ]   city lost to Luton 1-0  and at the half time interval  i had the chance to speak with Martin O''neil''s  then right hand man Paul Franklin  , he said in no uncertain terms that Martin loved this club and was forced into a decision he did not want to make  .                            The best bit though happened when the match had finished  ,  there was a rowdy protest forming outside the main stand  which  Mr Chase seemed to enjoy  far from showing concern at  the crowd anger toward him he just laughed and ordered  more drinks saying  he would wait however long it took  .              This angered me more than anything Delia  has said or done since ,   he gave the impression  that  this was his club and HIS only  , the fans just did not seem to matter to him at all  . [/quote]

You and me met the same man Hockey. I was invited to meet him on one occasion (just before the fateful Easter prior to our relegation). He was a strange mix of worried about relegation, but also bragging about his achievements. Yes, under his tenureship we did achieve a lot (due to some astute managers and our academy under the old rules rather than his careful balancing of selling big and buying in cheap). He was surrounded by examples of where the money used to go in those days. Plush office, specially sourced carpet, private helicopter flights - this was all explained to me by the man himself - what he was going to do at Colney, the dome (Jas has detailed much of this in a previous thread - but he was planning to build it where the flats are now). The fated flour mill episode.....the pool at Colney which even he admitted would probably never be used due to cost.

And then onto the team. Who he could get away with selling to keep the club afloat. His thoughts on Deehan as manager, his hatred (and yes, he used the words) of Walker. When I asked him who he thought the club really belonged to he just smiled his most famous smile and asked me for my opinion. When I told him he laughed and said no, I was mistaken, it was his club as he held the majority of the shares.

He then asked me if we would stay up. I said no, unlikely, due to the games we had left. He was convinced we would stay up and told me so.

My abiding memory of him, sadly is not the success we had on the pitch under his Chairmanship, but the sad demise which came about because he wasn''t able to concentrate on what really mattered, the team. Instead he was far too wrapped up in buying trappings of success. I have no doubt he was a supporter at heart, but got carried away with his own over inflated ego.