Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

When was the last "must win" game we did win?

My overall impression in over 30 years of following City is that we just don''t win the big ones. Whether its semi finals, survival matches, promotion games or whatever I always feel that we seem to come up short. but is this right?

So I''m just wondering from those with better memories than myself, when was the last time we actually won a game which, in itself, would have a material impact on our future?

The obvious recent example was Fulham and we know what happened there.

Birmingham 2002 in Cardiff is another.

2 FA Cup semi-finals late 80s/early 90s- well probably not as they would have been good days out but not of lasting impact.

Sunderland (a) to win the title in 2004? We lost the game but were promoted by other results

Leeds (a) 1995- we lost 2-1 and I was so depressed. Can''t remember the position with teams around us though.

Sheff Weds (a) 1982- we lost the game but still went up through other results.

On the other hand the only one I remember us winning was the game in 2002 at home to Stockport where we needed to equal Burnley''s result and we just scraped it 2-0 to go into the play offs by one goal. Even a defeat though would not have "cost" us anything as even getting in with a chance that season was a major surprise, so I am not sure it counts.

QPR isn''t a "must win" as technically we can still get a result at Hillsborough though no-one would put any money on it. But its as close to it as you can get when you consider our record when it all comes down to just the one match.

Away to Luton in February 2007 was a pretty crucial game, when Simon Lappin scored an injury time free-kick, to give us a vital 3-2 win at Kenliworth Road and push us six points clear of the relegation zone.

Not only was the result crucial and achieved in a dramatic fashion but it released a lot of pressure which resulted in us ambling to a comfortable, yet obviously still very dissapointing, mid-table finish.

I would argue that the last must-win game we played was home to Burnley. Which we won.And the one before that was home to Colchester. Which we won.The next one is on Saturday. OTBC

Good post!

Depends who you define ''must win'' in terms of the lasting impact you mention I suupose.

I remember the last game of the 1980-81 season when we had just started rebuilding the side and playing some good football with new signings such as Dave Watson, Chris Woods, Martin O''Neill and Steve Walford. The game was against Leicester at Carrow Road and with Sunderland away at Liverpool , a win for us and defeat for them would have kept us up. The fans set up a great atmosphere (26,000) but we lost 3-2. Leicester were already down and played with no pressure. We were racked with nerves and all three goals were from bad defensive mistakes (Jim Melrose got a hat trick). OK so with the other results (I think Sunderland won at Liverpool) it was irrelevant but wwe did''nt know at the time and neither did the players.    

People say QPR have nothing to play for so we''re favorites, that''s exactly the problem though! They can just relax and knock the ball about with no fear or pressure. We will have fear and tension etched on our faces from minute1. Just pray we get an early goal to relax things.

I remember the Leicester game as well YR and a salutory warning against those with supposedly nothing to play for.

Robert- you are right that we had to win those games but I am talking about those rare times when after all the grunt and hardwork either something very bad or very good hinges on just one 90 minute match. In other sports there were teams/individuals who built up a reputation for being those who could hold their nerve in those pressure situations, the Wilkinsons, Schumachers, Faldos, Borgs of this world. Are we to be a Tim Henman or a Roger Federer?

Still little evidence I am afraid to disprove the theory that we are not a "big game" club.

Chelsea away May 1985 - never ever been wetter in the open end at the Bridge, game should have been off as there were huge puddles all over the pitch but we won 2-1 to have a nine point cushion over Coventry who had three games left to play-they eventually overtook us three weeks later but we had to win that last game, which I think Chelsea needed to win to qualify for Europe. That is the last must win game I can think of where we actually turned up.

Fair enough, Mr Weed. Having watched most of those games you mentioned (I think the 92 semi-final scarred me for life), I quite agree with you. But I would reinforce the point that this current team, with all its faults, has risen to the occasion to win our last two ''winnable'' home games.Against Burnley, who were in almost exactly the same position as QPR are now, our workrate and passion in the first 15 minutes was outstanding. They were much more relaxed than us and passed it better in those opening minutes. But our greater desire established a foothold in the game and we won it easily in the end. If we can repeat that performance against QPR, we will win the game and all will be well.But if we lose it, I shall certainly be expecting a total disaster at Hillsborough on the last day.otbc

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Fair enough, Mr Weed. Having watched most of those games you mentioned (I think the 92 semi-final scarred me for life), I quite agree with you. But I would reinforce the point that this current team, with all its faults, has risen to the occasion to win our last two ''winnable'' home games.Against Burnley, who were in almost exactly the same position as QPR are now, our workrate and passion in the first 15 minutes was outstanding. They were much more relaxed than us and passed it better in those opening minutes. But our greater desire established a foothold in the game and we won it easily in the end. If we can repeat that performance against QPR, we will win the game and all will be well.But if we lose it, I shall certainly be expecting a total disaster at Hillsborough on the last day.otbc[/quote]i''d agree with that - but an ipswich no-show, and failure to beat a clearly knackered west brom (while gifting 2 soft goals) will hardly have the boys confidence brimming over for sat.  regretfully, i fear  the team will be nervous on sat - and a quick goal  (by us)  will be required to settled  the team down.  if not , QPR could well take advantage - they are not the pushovers we remember from other seasons nowerdays.i''m not confident we''ll beat rangers, or sheff wed - but my gut tells me we''ll stay up despite what happens in these last 2 matches.

I''m not sure this makes up for all the rest, but its pretty d*mn good. Well done the lads, great victory today, now enjoy the summer while Glenn rebuilds.