Sign in to follow this  
BBFF

Tom Miller

Tom Miller a 17 year old city academy member has been told by the club he''s not good enough to be given a professional contract and will leave in the summer. But the young Mr Miller has been watched by Glasgow Rangers and has been offered a 2 year professional deal. It will be very interesting in the future to see which club was right, City who are struggling to stay in the Championship and seem only interested in being a kindergarten for Premiership clubs young players or Rangers who are top of the Scottish Premiership?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

I''m surprised that we''re letting players of a calibre leave the Club when we''re approaching a summer where we must rebuild to the extent we so obviously have to. What worries me is this quote “Glenn Roeder told him he''d heard a lot of good things about him but that he wouldn''t be playing for him next year,” from the Lads father.

Doesn''t Glenn watch and asess the reserves himself then?

Good luck anyway Tom, Southend or Rangers? Tough choice but I think you made the right one.

Very strange story this one. If Miller is not good enough for our struggling squad, how come he has done enough to come to the attention of a massive club like Rangers? I think Roeder could end up with egg on his face over this. He''s our third manager in succession to be frightened to give the young lads a chance. Pathetic!

I think it''s a bit early to jump on peoples backs regarding this!!I remember a few years ago when Man Utd nicked a youth player from under our noses by flying him to training to get round the travel time.Where is he now?????  Nowhere!!!  I admit we''ve made mistakes in the past by letting youngsters go but it''s too early to get angry about it.

I think it would be prudent to see whether this lad actually has any kind of impact at Rangers before being quite so critical of Glenn''s judgement. Just because they are perceived as a bigger club than us doesn''t mean they always get their decisions right. Wasn''t Ian Murray on their books before he came to us!!!?

You may find that a couple more lads will be released who he has never seen play including some that have been injured and thay also look like ending up at other Championship clubs.Roeder was not at the Reserve match on Tuesday and he does not watch Youth team games. The lad Miller who I have seen play is tens times better than the boy Lathrope who they signed. It a question of who you know and not how good you are-it all stinks in my opinion,but it has all season!

[quote user="sandboy"]You may find that a couple more lads will be released who he has never seen play including some that have been injured and thay also look like ending up at other Championship clubs.Roeder was not at the Reserve match on Tuesday and he does not watch Youth team games. The lad Miller who I have seen play is tens times better than the boy Lathrope who they signed. It a question of who you know and not how good you are-it all stinks in my opinion,but it has all season![/quote]

Better than Lathrope in your opinion.  You obviously forget that Glen has been around pro football all his life and may know a thing or 2 more than you.  And also dont forget that they also look at where the player might be in 3/4 years time in terms of ability.  What if Miller never improves beyond his current standard.  All things you need to factor in.

With regard to Roeder not being at the reserve match.  Is that really important.  He/the club employs staff to do stuff like that for him.  In case you hadn''t noticed Glen has his hands full at the moment with the 1st team.  Or has the fight against relegation and the fact we need close to dozen players next season escaped you.

Thats not to say he hasn''t oopsed though.  But even if he has we wont be the first club to let a great player go.  Even the mighty Arsene Wenger drops a clanger sometimes, David Bentley anyone.  Sheffield United with Billy Sharp.  Tottenham & Southend with Michael Kightly.  The list is endless.

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"]I think it''s a bit early to jump on peoples backs regarding this!!

I remember a few years ago when Man Utd nicked a youth player from under our noses by flying him to training to get round the travel time.

Where is he now?????  Nowhere!!!  I admit we''ve made mistakes in the past by letting youngsters go but it''s too early to get angry about it.
[/quote]

Kalam Mooniaruck. I think he is now scouting or something for Arsenal......

[quote user="Lincoln Canary"]I think it would be prudent to see whether this lad actually has any kind of impact at Rangers before being quite so critical of Glenn''s judgement. Just because they are perceived as a bigger club than us doesn''t mean they always get their decisions right. Wasn''t Ian Murray on their books before he came to us!!!?[/quote]

Indeed. You remember the outcry when we let Danny Crow go? God knows how many people said he would end up in the premiership, how we made a mistake, how he would be scoring goals past us soon. Yet he ends up at the bottom of league 2.

Just look at Danny Haynes, you released him and now not only does he rip your team to shreads every time he play you, he is also in the radar of several premiership clubs who are looking at offering in excess of £3m to sign him!!

[quote user="sandboy"]You may find that a couple more lads will be released who he has never seen play including some that have been injured and thay also look like ending up at other Championship clubs.Roeder was not at the Reserve match on Tuesday and he does not watch Youth team games. The lad Miller who I have seen play is tens times better than the boy Lathrope who they signed. It a question of who you know and not how good you are-it all stinks in my opinion,but it has all season![/quote]You sound like you''re speaking from experience.  Is this from attenting lots of reerve and youth games??

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"]I think it''s a bit early to jump on peoples backs regarding this!!

I remember a few years ago when Man Utd nicked a youth player from under our noses by flying him to training to get round the travel time.

Where is he now?????  Nowhere!!!  I admit we''ve made mistakes in the past by letting youngsters go but it''s too early to get angry about it.
[/quote]

Kalum Mooniruck, hes playing local league (wroxham level) football in clacton (one of the lads i work with plays 5 a side with him and Col `utd owner!)

[quote user="sandboy"]You may find that a couple more lads will be released who he has never seen play including some that have been injured and thay also look like ending up at other Championship clubs.Roeder was not at the Reserve match on Tuesday and he does not watch Youth team games. The lad Miller who I have seen play is tens times better than the boy Lathrope who they signed. It a question of who you know and not how good you are-it all stinks in my opinion,but it has all season![/quote]

you have seen him play, but you havent seen him in training, you dont know his personality, and cant judge his potential, miller may have started to peak before lathrope, so seems a better player at 17 but may not be at 20, just look at adrian coote, drew broughton, Darren Way, Ryan Jarvis scored hatful of goals and played for all the england teams but couldnt make the grade at first team level, how about Chris llewellyn, linked with a £4 mill move to aston villa, now look at him! then look at players like Ian wright, les ferdinand, Dion Dublin, kevin phillips and danny mills, they all were either rejected by there youth teams or broke into professional football in there early 20''s, we arnt the experts we think our selves, we play to much championship manger and fifa.

Sure managers make mistakes, but we just got to hope and pray that another norwich manager hasnt cocked up

1st Joe Lewis then Tom Miller...

all cheap as well...

someone at Colney could be left looking VERY stupid in the future.

jas :)

Maybe it''s a question of attitude over talent? Or maybe Roeder is looking for specific skillsets which for some reason or another this lad did not have. Maybe this Miller is talented (like Gibbs) but lightweight... no?

[quote user="jimmy500"]

Better than Lathrope in your opinion.  You obviously forget that Glen has been around pro football all his life and may know a thing or 2 more than you.  And also dont forget that they also look at where the player might be in 3/4 years time in terms of ability.  What if Miller never improves beyond his current standard.  All things you need to factor in.

With regard to Roeder not being at the reserve match.  Is that really important.  He/the club employs staff to do stuff like that for him.  In case you hadn''t noticed Glen has his hands full at the moment with the 1st team.  Or has the fight against relegation and the fact we need close to dozen players next season escaped you.

Thats not to say he hasn''t oopsed though.  But even if he has we wont be the first club to let a great player go.  Even the mighty Arsene Wenger drops a clanger sometimes, David Bentley anyone.  Sheffield United with Billy Sharp.  Tottenham & Southend with Michael Kightly.  The list is endless.

[/quote]i agree with you jimmy500, layers have always ome and gone through academies, he has gone yes, it doesnt mean that it will be a huge mistake, not onlydoes he have a new set of lads to compete with but, he is learning a new style of football, a crap one in my eyes, roeder has an opinion on young players, e.g daley and lathrope getting contracts, so, if he doesn''t think miller is good enough, then ok by me....

Don''t worry people, I''m sure we''ll be able to negotiate an expensive loan arrangement to have him back next season - he''s far more likley to get a match here as a young loanee from Rangers rather than a city youth team player!!!

[quote user="Clint"]

Don''t worry people, I''m sure we''ll be able to negotiate an expensive loan arrangement to have him back next season - he''s far more likley to get a match here as a young loanee from Rangers rather than a city youth team player!!!

[/quote]Yes Clint I think you are closer to the turth than anyone else.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

Maybe Roeder will have egg over his face when this lad turns out to be the next Ian Murray at Rangers! Jeez, we don''t know what goes on at Colney - personally i trust Glenn, so i''m with him here.

[quote user="tractorboysgoinup"]Just look at Danny Haynes, you released him and now not only does he rip your team to shreads every time he play you, he is also in the radar of several premiership clubs who are looking at offering in excess of £3m to sign him!![/quote]Yes, could he be the new Chris Kiwomya?

Can we wait and see if he''s any good before we all jump on Roeders back? Football history is littered with players who have been let go by one club and gone on to better things elsewhere, but it is much more common for them to sink without a trace. Money is tight here, remember, (despite what the board might say) I''m sure there was only a few contracts avaliablefor youth teamers and that they were given to those who perhaps play in positions where we need more cover next year.

I hope so Kiwomya was great for us!! Besides rather than cash in on him (as we don''t need the cash) I would much rather just save him for when you clowns are about, very funny watching him make your defenders look like prize A Ronald Mcdonalds!!!

Is he really going to a better standard of football ?Granted ,Rangers have had a successful season in Europe, but how many players transfer from the Scottish Prem. to the English Prem? How many quality players leave any English league to play in Scotland? Lets face it, we have dabbled in the Scottish transfer market with both players and coaches and we are where we are because of it !

I reserve judgement on the boy Miller until he has played regular first team football

I would also have to add to this that Roeder has a proven track record when it comes to youngsters.Kevin Phillips admits in the latest PinkUn headliner that Roeder was the one to pick him out of obscurity and give him a chance. He is credited with the development of the likes if Joe Cole, Lampard and that generation of Wet Sham players whilst working under Rednap. He also brought through a few of Newcastles younger players such as Taylor who are now rated more highly.In short I trust this man to see which players will be of use to us and which will not be.So far this season he has got it spot on. Lewis left but I doubt very much we would have seen him play and would you rather have half a million pounds playing reserve team football every week and possibly getting injured over nothing or cash in and know you have more money to strengthen the side that is far weaker in other areas? It made perfect sense.As for others that got away you can add Bobby Zamora who we apparently let go because he wasn''t "big" enough only to see him have a late growth spurt. The question is how long do you wait for the talent to be realised? Coote is a great example - he was hailed as the next Iwan Roberts . . . . .

[quote user="tractorboysgoinup"]I hope so Kiwomya was great for us!! Besides rather than cash in on him (as we don''t need the cash) I would much rather just save him for when you clowns are about, very funny watching him make your defenders look like prize A Ronald Mcdonalds!!![/quote]

so if you "dont need the cash" how come u didnt spend money like water in Janaury and arent top of the league?

jas :)