Sign in to follow this  
gazzathegreat

Great performance today, great result

I don''t know about anyone else, but our team performance today was pretty damn good. Several players exceptional, no one had a bad game. Glenn Roeder is slowly but surely getting there and if he can build further from this I think we will have a great chance of greater success next season.

Lots of pluses. For me the biggest was seeing calm, accurate passing of the ball in the opposition half at 1-0 up, trying for another goal. What was that, passing the ball on the ground (and in the opposing half) with the intent of another goal. Shocking, but true. No headless chicken antics, no hoofball. Football. How refreshing....

Hucks looks much more like the dazzling player of old, Fozzy had a great game in midfield, Dion too was immense. Rusty and Pattison both ran their socks off. Yes, we still looked shaky at the back, still not willing to commit to taking on opposition forwards, but to be honest Burnley didn''t pose much of a threat.

We are looking far more of a well balanced team and are running into good form again when it matters. Former City sides would have crumbled under the pressure today, we didn''t.

Not sure what the Burnley fans were singing today, they seemed to be stunned into silence by our early goal. I remember Burnley a few years back being a very well supported side. Things change.

By the way, the crowd near me were trying to get a new song for Jon Otsemobor started to the tune of Karma Chameleon (Culture Club). Apologies to anyone under 20 who might not remember it. Great news during the second half that Ipswich were losing rounded off a near perfect day at Carrow Road. Would have been perfect if it had been a bit warmer!

Fully agree with analysis Gazza.

I thought the only thing lacking was the incisive finish which was eventually supplied in the last seconds by Ched.

You''ve got to feel sorry for Jamie. Lovely lad and NCFC through and through but he has never been able to carry the weight of expectation thrust upon him.

I would love to have been proved wrong but it must be obvious to all by now that he has never been quite good enough for this level, let alone the Premiership.

Last years golden boot was the exception that proved the rule.

Agree Gazza massive performance from us today where everyone of them worked hard with grit and determination to win. The midfield ran their socks off, Bertrand was massive and Hucks was back to his oldself and deserved MOM.

Then you hear that Ipswich have lost to bottom club ColU and it makes the day a perfect one.

CMON YOU YELLOWS - another win next Sunday and we can all relax [:D]

I agree with you gazza, we could of won 4-0 if Cuereton had scored them two great chances he had.

BRING ON IPSWICH!!!!!!!

COME ON CITY!!!!!!!!

Very good performance, the only complaint from me is that we should have killed them off long before we did with the chances we created, everyone had a good game except for Cureton who I thought looked really poor and missed yet another sitter to add to his collection. Some of our play today was as good as anything we''ve produced for a very long time, considering we were under so much pressure to win we looked very calm and composed on the ball for much of the time. All in all an enjoyable afternoon except for the drenching I got walking back to the car, bloody weather.

I agree, a solid performance, even if they did leave it until rather late to seal the game, thats certainly one thing we need to improve next year, and I am afraid I still think Cureton''s not good enough, he missed a couple again today and he certainly isn''t getting any younger (or slimmer) its a real shame that more footballers can''t take a leaf out of Dion''s book as he has kept himself in superb shape, a real pro and I think he will be the most difficult player to replace. I am starting to think that huckerby is starting to show some form again, another year? Anyway the summer will prove to be the most telling in recent history, real ambition or crippling prudence.......

Not sure how you can say this was a good performance when in one paragraph you say Burnley did not pose much of a threat whilst in the next you say " Former City sides would have crumbled under the pressure today"

In my opinion Burnley were weak through lacking several key players and frankly were not really interested. Talking to a couple of their supporters afterwards who said that they realised their season was finished before this game so really were not expecting much.

So whilst City won lets not get carried away as the results over the past few weeks have been pretty poor. There is also the question of all the loan players and what happens to them. Best thing for me all afternoon was when the chap behind me said Pattison was palying with plenty of spirit-read in to that what you want! 

[quote user="ricardo"]

I thought the only thing lacking was the incisive finish which was eventually supplied in the last seconds by Ched.

You''ve got to feel sorry for Jamie. Lovely lad and NCFC through and through but he has never been able to carry the weight of expectation thrust upon him.

I would love to have been proved wrong but it must be obvious to all by now that he has never been quite good enough for this level, let alone the Premiership.

[/quote]

14 goals this season..... 5 games left....

If he finishes with 20, which could happen... will you still be saying "he''s not good enough"? without Jamies goals we''d of been relegated this season.... Old man dion bundling one in and Hucks popping up once in a blue moon wouldnt of been enough...

even ched evans hasnt hit double figures for us despite being the "great white hope" when he signed....

Jamie has spent most of his career at this level, scored for us, Colchester, QPR and Reading... his career ratio is good. 1 season in Korea and half a season with Swindon apart...

4-4-2 Magazine ran an interview with Ade Akinbiyi about 3 months back where it was mentioned he has the best strike rate of any player outside the premiership would you rather have him? or ''Not good enough'' Jamie Lad....

He''s kept us in this divsion,, and that.. is FACT.

jas :)

Well, tell me if I''m wrong but I guess he means we would''ve buckled under the pressure of yet another ''must-win''.   Myself and my mates said the same before the game - knowing we needed a result, much like Colchester and Ipswich before it, doesn''t seem to scare this Norwich side.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Jamie has spent most of his career at this level[/quote]

No he hasn''t, the majority has been spent in the lower leagues.

And Evans wipes the floor with Cureton as far as I''m concerned.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

If he finishes with 20, which could happen... will you still be saying "he''s not good enough"? without Jamies goals we''d of been relegated this season.... Old man dion bundling one in and Hucks popping up once in a blue moon wouldnt of been enough...

even ched evans hasnt hit double figures for us despite being the "great white hope" when he signed....

Jamie has spent most of his career at this level, scored for us, Colchester, QPR and Reading... his career ratio is good. 1 season in Korea and half a season with Swindon apart...

4-4-2 Magazine ran an interview with Ade Akinbiyi about 3 months back where it was mentioned he has the best strike rate of any player outside the premiership would you rather have him? or ''Not good enough'' Jamie Lad....

[/quote]

Jas you are correct, people are oh so quick to make rash statements about JC.  Yes he''s not scored as much as he should have done, but who else in the squad would have got those goals.  JC is always the first to hold his hands up and say ''''I could have/should have done better''''.

There was a right wally on the radio tonight, canary call, can''t remember the exact words, and he said that Jamie is why we are where we are today, basically blaming the guy for us being near the relegation zone, then reiterated that the board had gone for the cheap option when signing him.  I was spitting feathers at the radio, just as well I couldn''t get through on air lol.

If JC can get another 2 or 3 goals, which is possible I will be happy.  Especially next weekend, the bigger question is, will he once again dye his hair green [:D]

Jas - Although I havent seen enough games to comment personally, Curetons goals alone may tell a different story to his overall impact on the attack.

Yes he has scored 14, but how many more goals could we have scored if we had a striker who could lay the ball off to others? How many more could we have had with a striker who actually gets hold of the ball and can link play?

The nature of Cureton is that he will score more goals for you, but his presence in the team means other players will have less opportunities to score.

Whether or not his presence is beneficial to the attack as a whole, and not just his personal stats is what matters. As I said Im not making a case either way.

Evans missed some very good chances too. Evans goal was effectively a tap in as well. I was really disapointed with one of JC''s misses but I was also disapointed with Evans'' miss.

Todays game summed up the difference between Cureton and Evans. Ched compliments his ability with hard work, he worries defenders and creates chances. Cureton basically does nothing all game until the ball drops right for him and he catches it right. Then he heads over to the Snakepit/Barclay or salutes them from the other end of the pitch again and they''ll continue to love him.

Take away the Colchester hat-trick and Cureton has 9 league goals, I think. That''s poor. I know people will defend him by saying he doesn''t get the service and all the rest of it (despite all the sitters he''s missed). But it simply comes down to the fact he''s not tall enough, he''s not quick enough, he''s not strong enough, doesn''t work hard enough and doesn''t make the right kind of runs often enough.

He has been ok for us this season but he is not the type of player who will turn us into promotion challengers. If we have serious aspirations to reach the Premier league then we need a better goal scorer. I want him to stay next year but really have to fight for his starting place, not know that he can walk into the team every week.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes he certainly has kept us in this division.

And he''s never going to be good enough to get us out of it.

We paid for a level 2-3 striker and thats exactley what we got. Unfortunately what we need is a level 1-2 striker.

He never has been and never will be that.

" Evans goal was effectively a tap in as well "eh, what game were you at ?He picked up the ball on the edge of the box with his right foot, turned the defender inside out then struck the ball past the keeper with his left.Some bloody tap in !

ps nice of the players to hold the ball up long enough for Dion to amble into the box in time, he needs to stay

Rofl. After seeing the championship it was a lot further out than it looked (lol it was right infront of me as well!). I thought he was inside the 6 yard box. Doesn''t really make much difference tbh. Goalie should have saved, but he did beat the defender nicely.

"Doesn''t really make much difference tbh"I think you''ll find that a ''tap in'' usually refers to a player having little to do other than to tap in the ball, usually at an open goal.Getting himself into a position where he was able to slip the ball past the keeper at a tight angle having used both feet in the process suggests more than a tap in.I would hate to think how you described his other late goal - the one at Cardiff away !

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]"Doesn''t really make much difference tbh"

I think you''ll find that a ''tap in'' usually refers to a player having little to do other than to tap in the ball, usually at an open goal.

Getting himself into a position where he was able to slip the ball past the keeper at a tight angle having used both feet in the process suggests more than a tap in.

I would hate to think how you described his other late goal - the one at Cardiff away !
[/quote]

For once Ralph I totally agree with you. The goal was quality in the way that Evans created it out of abosolutely nothing.

Although I have supported Jamie over the constant sniping and criticism he has had on this site all season, I would be the first to admit he was poor on Saturday. Not just the missed chances but he didn''t seem as involved as normal. I would definitely start with Evans on Sunday.  

[quote user="BigFish"]Jamie is the Wayne Biggins of the noughties!![/quote]

Now I would say you''ve hit the right spot with that comment BF.

Wish I''d thought of that.