Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

I was having to work out the difference between a million and a billion today.

And this figure represents Delia''s total worth in proportion to that of Roman Abramovich. In case people still wonder why she doesn''t just ''dip her hands in her pocket''! It''s based on Abramovich being worth 10 billion and Delia being worth 10 million.

Depressing eh - enough to make you want to just give up messing about with frozen potatos on television!

[quote user="a1canary"]

And this figure represents Delia''s total worth in proportion to that of Roman Abramovich. In case people still wonder why she doesn''t just ''dip her hands in her pocket''! It''s based on Abramovich being worth 10 billion and Delia being worth 10 million.

Depressing eh - enough to make you want to just give up messing about with frozen potatos on television!

[/quote]

10 billion is one thousand times bigger than 10 million, so shouldn''t Delia wealth be .001 of Abramovich or is there something wrong with my math?

In any event Delia''s wealth was stated at more than 20 million in the Times Rich List several years ago. I would think that has increased by now.

Lol - I agree with your point, but i thought she was estimated to be worth 26million....don''t know where i garnered this figure, maybe press, maybe on here - don''t remember!

If a promotion war chest is, for example, 5 million pounds this would be about 19% of Delia''s 26 million pound worth.

A study in 2004 states:

"The IBM study, which was based on data from income tax returns collated by the Inland Revenue, concludes that the average Briton has a net wealth of pounds 82,400. This includes the value of people''s homes and their cash and investments, but not their pensions. "

So Delia''s 5 million is the equivalent to the average Briton of £15,846.

So I guess it is up to the individual whether a 15k bet is worth the risk.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

10 billion is one thousand times bigger than 10 million, so shouldn''t Delia wealth be .001 of Abramovich or is there something wrong with my math?

In any event Delia''s wealth was stated at more than 20 million in the Times Rich List several years ago. I would think that has increased by now.

[/quote]

There are twelve zeros in a billion. If you divide delia''s worth at 10 million with Abramovich''s at 10 billion, then convert to a percentage, that''s what you get. Delia is worth 0.00001 percent of Abramovich! Crazy in''t it!

As for Delia''s worth, why would it have gone up since several years ago? She has reduced her commercial activities up until her latest tv series and book. According to this article, which judging from the link was written in 2006, she''s worth £13m.

http://money.aol.co.uk/the-most-successful-celeb-chefs/article/20060816110009990011

She doesn''t even come close to making the Sunday Times Rich List these days. Abramovich is actually worth 10.8 billion but i rounded him down to 10 and Delia down to 10. After all, that 0.8 billion is a sight more than the 3-ish million.

Well Delia value has increased.  Four Four Two magazine published a football rich list in December, 2007 with Delia''s value at 15 million making it just inside the top 100.  However Andrew Turner is number 29 with 275 million to his name.  Remember though he would have to sell Central Trust to get that money and that is unlikely to happen.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There are twelve zeros in a billion. If you divide delia''s worth at 10 million with Abramovich''s at 10 billion, then convert to a percentage, that''s what you get. Delia is worth 0.00001 percent of Abramovich! Crazy in''t it!

As for Delia''s worth, why would it have gone up since several years ago? She has reduced her commercial activities up until her latest tv series and book. According to this article, which judging from the link was written in 2006, she''s worth £13m.

http://money.aol.co.uk/the-most-successful-celeb-chefs/article/20060816110009990011

She doesn''t even come close to making the Sunday Times Rich List these days. Abramovich is actually worth 10.8 billion but i rounded him down to 10 and Delia down to 10. After all, that 0.8 billion is a sight more than the 3-ish million.

[/quote]

Er, there are 9 zeros in a billion unless this is still 1924?

The amount someone is worth, and the amount that someone has available to invest are two separate entities, aren''t they?

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No mate, there are 9 zero''s in a billion.

A billion is reckoned as one thousand million these days and is universally recognised as such.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You means maths or are you American?

The UK moved to short scale in 1974, to get into line with other english speaking countries, so 1 Billion has since then had nine zeros, one thousend zeros. Most of the rest of the wrold still use long scale, so for them one Billion has got twelve zeros, one million million.

Didn''t Abramovich have to give £5.5 Billion half his worth to his ex-wife in the divorce?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="a1canary"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No mate, there are 9 zero''s in a billion.

A billion is reckoned as one thousand million these days and is universally recognised as such.

[/quote]

Sorry A1 but I’m afraid that Ricardo has his maths right or, “math” as Ricardo and Americans say !

[quote user="Marty"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You means maths or are you American?

[/quote]

LOL

No mate, not unless the Yanks have invaded Trowse this morning.

If they did, perhaps they''ll keep our Post Office open.

[quote user="canary dreamer"]

The UK moved to short scale in 1974, to get into line with other english speaking countries, so 1 Billion has since then had nine zeros, one thousend zeros. Most of the rest of the wrold still use long scale, so for them one Billion has got twelve zeros, one million million.

Didn''t Abramovich have to give £5.5 Billion half his worth to his ex-wife in the divorce?

[/quote]

Edit, i meant to say one billion is one thousend million, not as written, one thousend zeros!

Canadians also say "math", not maths.  Why doesn''t anybody ever mention the Canadians?  Why must it always be about the Americans, as if they are the only people on the planet to be compared with? What about the Iraqis or Samoans?

Besides, it''s just one problem he was working on, so why not just call is the singular math? Besides, it is so much easier to say ''math'' compared to ''maths''.  Almost as tough as ''unique new York''.

[quote user="One Flew Over..."]

If a promotion war chest is, for example, 5 million pounds this would be about 19% of Delia''s 26 million pound worth.

A study in 2004 states:

"The IBM study, which was based on data from income tax returns collated by the Inland Revenue, concludes that the average Briton has a net wealth of pounds 82,400. This includes the value of people''s homes and their cash and investments, but not their pensions. "

So I guess it is up to the individual whether a 15k bet is worth the risk.

[/quote]Hmmm - please correct me if I am wrong but I don''t think that equates very well. What is the national average wage now? I only ask this because £15,846 in my mind is a hell of a lot of money. I mean I earn not much more than that and if I had that much money I would be putting it down as a deposit on a house (I am house hunting at the moment). It would take most people in the situation I am in the best part of two years at least to save that sort of money. And I don''t have kids or that sort of commitment at the moment.I don''t think many people could afford that sort of gamble. And if they could they would be better off giving it to research! The other thing is Delia is worth £26million but how is that tied up? She is married so is that including MWJ wealth as well? Is that including her resteraunt and properties etc. We all know she has a place in London and if it is any where in a decent location even a two bed flat can be worth into millions.The real factor with Abramovich is that its not that he is "worth" anything - so far as I know he sold his oil company - its that he has billions of pounds in account sitting there waiting to be spent. He lives in Monaco most of the time and must have appartments all around the world but it doesn''t really mean much when you have at least 100 times more money in the bank than you have invested in other things!

Ok, i''ve had to research this thoroughly and have found out the following. Technically speaking, a UK billion - the number, not the monetary value - is 10 to the power of 12 and in the US, is 10 to the power of 9.

In monetary terms, we have aligned with the US, so yes, ten billion pounds is 10,000,000,000.

SO, i stand corrected, Delia is worth approximately 0.1 percent of Roman Abramovich''s total wealth.

Still mind boggling! She is but a flea on an elephant''s back!

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="One Flew Over..."]

[/quote]

Hmmm - please correct me if I am wrong but I don''t think that equates very well. What is the national average wage now? I only ask this because £15,846 in my mind is a hell of a lot of money. I mean I earn not much more than that and if I had that much money I would be putting it down as a deposit on a house (I am house hunting at the moment). It would take most people in the situation I am in the best part of two years at least to save that sort of money. And I don''t have kids or that sort of commitment at the moment.

I don''t think many people could afford that sort of gamble. And if they could they would be better off giving it to research! The other thing is Delia is worth £26million but how is that tied up? She is married so is that including MWJ wealth as well? Is that including her resteraunt and properties etc. We all know she has a place in London and if it is any where in a decent location even a two bed flat can be worth into millions.

The real factor with Abramovich is that its not that he is "worth" anything - so far as I know he sold his oil company - its that he has billions of pounds in account sitting there waiting to be spent. He lives in Monaco most of the time and must have appartments all around the world but it doesn''t really mean much when you have at least 100 times more money in the bank than you have invested in other things!
[/quote]

I assume the average Briton means adult, so ifsomeone has a 120k house, and has paid off half their mortgage (60k investment), has a 5k car, 5k savings, 5k shares, and 10k of possessions, they would be average. Obviously most people at this stage will probably be 40+, and cannot spare 15k without remortgaging their house.

I tried to stay neutral when making the comparison, but a 5 million investment in the team would be a huge amount, and it is easy to spend other people''s money. Ask the same people if they would stump up 15k on a very unsure investment and I guess not many would.

And a 5 million team investment from Delia would be the equivalent of a 2 billion pound team investement for Abramovich.

A five million investment by Abramovich would be the equivalent to average Briton of £42.50!