Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Hey Archant... How do you like it?

Tim & Celia - Like I said yesterday, my post was through frustration with the site not working properly and contrary to some opinion that frustration came about through being unable to post what I wanted when I had a chance during a very busy weekend. It seems to be working again ok now so thanks for that.[Y]

However to understand how we were all feeling Cityangels first post on this thread sums it up for me. Have you ever heard such things on M&S TV adverts?!?!? It wasn''t just any poster pissed off - it was Cityangel pissed off. [;)]

As for SotonCanary''s little outburst, well all I can say is that the people who I have met who post a lot on this messageboard are get up and go people off the board too. Energetic people with full lives who spend their time doing things rather than slumped on the sofa watching the world pass them by. Half a dozen posts in 18 months followed by a need to reply to this thread however could suggest the opposite.[:|]

Now Tim, are these just any 7 live webservers backed by around 3Tb of networked storage, and a 16-way, 2 node database cluster. Or are they The Pink Un Message Board 7 live webservers backed by around 3Tb of networked storage, and a 16-way, 2 node database cluster [:^)]

How long are threads archived for? I would suggest they are archived for far too long and should have a much shorter expiry date set to save the strain on the server.

Most message boards problems arise from too heavy a load on their servers.  

Been fine for me too since monday PM.

I agree the archiving of posts too. Maybe if you limited stored thread pages to 100 the site might work better, instead of having over 400 as it is now. It would also stop Wiz''s old posts being dragged up from 3 seasons ago.

Leeds Canary

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="bunny"][quote user="Greg Sayer"]

[quote user="Tim Stephenson - Archant IS"] "I''m surprised that a Company as big as Archant don''t have a more resilient system. Still, I suppose that the websites are low priority in that they are not a means of generating income (apart from the ads)." I have to say you''d probably be surprised at the amount of serious hardware that goes into running our websites - 7 webservers are now live, backed by around 3Tb of networked storage, and a 16-way, 2 node database cluster. Unfortunately, the best laid plans can rapidly disintegrate around you if something unexpected stops doing what its supposed to be. Happy to give you more details if you''re interested." [/quote]

i sympathise with you tim!!

im part of the team that runs the systems for most of suffolk NHS (not the 2 hospitals)

we run a 12tb SAN, 2 x 8 blade enclosures, about 6 SQL servers, about 10 different web servers, 2 different email domains accross 6 exchange server, 3 patient data based clinical systems, 20+ DC''s and connectivity to about 3000 NHS staff

what people don`t realise is that computing aint a exact science, things go wrong easily......

all it takes is for alorry to pile into your buildings Power transformer or a external auditor to power up a disconnected air con unit in your server room that hasnt been used in 5 years, that is sooo messed up it floods ur comms room with water and coolant or a secretary to plug both ends of a cat 5 cable into a switch that a contractor has mis-configured so u get a broadcast storm cascading accross a whole NHS HQ knocking out every switch, a Transco digger cutting ur fibre connection to the nhs, a finance accountant not under standing what a kilostream line is so cancel''s it!............ the list goes on!!!

[/quote]

Sounds just like the NHS to me - most of those problems could have been avoided with proper housekeeping and Change Management.

[/quote]

That''s the same NHS that employs We8WBA, so perhaps we shouldn''t expect too much.

[/quote] Take that back Mr Chops! I too work for the NHS - at the N and N, and believe me, running a computer system for so many users at once is not easy. The NHS runs to a budget, not directly set by the hospital itself. I am constantly unable to do some of my work because of system overload or whatever the technical term is. That''s life as they say. I guess though if there was enough money to run a reliable system for the hospital (and all it''s satellite units) there would be an outcry that it wasn''t to the benefit of the patients!! I sympathise with Archant, no one notices their system when it''s running well......

Thanks all.

Posts are not currently archived - we retain everything at the moment. Due to how the system''s structured however archiving wouldn''t actually make any difference to performance or scalability.

We''ve got plenty of storage available too; just had some issues with the webservers accessing it!!!!

Just thought you should know, getting this a bit at the moment - seems to be an intermittent thing, hitting the back button and trying again seems to solve it :

Server Error in ''/cs'' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Cannot create/shadow copy ''CommunityServer.Components'' when that file already exists. (\\websites1\sites\core.CommunityServer\Web\web.config line 50)

Source Error:

Line 48: 		<!-- START - CommunityServer specific application settings -->

Line 49: <httpModules>

Line 50: <add name="CommunityServer" type="CommunityServer.CSHttpModule, CommunityServer.Components"/>

Line 51: <remove name="Profile"/>

Line 52: <remove name="RoleManager"/>

Source File: \\websites1\sites\core.CommunityServer\Web\web.config    Line: 50

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

Has it got wrong again cause there was nothing on here last night between 7pm - 11pm and theres nothing on here this morning and its gone 10.30am.

Guess I''ll know if this post appears [:)]

if some are getting problem and some arnt, maybe routing issues between ISP''s?