Sign in to follow this  
Grando

Bristol City chairman promises £30 million transfer kitty if promoted...

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

In the last two years we have needed to sell players to break even with 24,000 gates and £7.1m parachute payments.  As a dedicated supporter you can either ask difficult questions and try to get to the bottom of why this is, or you can think "that`s the way it`s always been" and "i`m sure they know what they`re doing".  The latter to me, is a complete cop-out.

[/quote]

Which players did we have to sell in the last 2 years Mr Carrow? I doubt very much if we had to sell any of the players that were sold. In fact I doubt that the board chose to sell them. In fact I would think that in the last 2 years the players that have chosen to be sold did so against the wishes of the football manager and the board. It seems to me that your idea of a dedicated supporter is someone who twists the facts to suit their own argument.

Not at all nutty, you have misunderstood my post.  My point is that without the player sales the club would have made an overall loss, despite 24,000 gates and £7.1m parachute payments.  Now why do you think this is?

No Mr Carrow, I did not misunderstand your post. You chose to write it in such a way that it appeared the board chose to sell those players in order to balance the books but when challenged you back track. You guys are beginning to become spin masters [8-)]

Mr carrow you may have answered this question before ,but can you tell us all

how much we would have lost the season we got promoted and don''t set the sale of the land against it.

And a few other questions for  you as you have the accounts to look at,

Who said we would break even if we had 16000 fans , i thought we lost three million the season before we got

promoted and that''s why  we had the first share issue.

When we bought hucks didn''t delia put £500,000 into that share issue which most people seem to forget.

Why do people moan about the corner infill  as this had to be built for the disabled fans .

How could we have sold the old car park with out buying the land behind the jarrold  stand for a new one.

If we all want to be in the prem that bad why don,t all 24,000 of us protest to get our season tickets doubled in

price , i think the club have mentioned affordable football a few times , how much is a childs season ticket.

Chelsea on average now charge £85 for an adult and child ticket , how many of us on here could afford them

sort of prices , Norwich may not be great but at least we can afford to watch them.

One thing i have not seen mentioned is that the bristol city chairman said he would put 30 million back into

the team from the money they would get from being promoted , not his own money like people on here

have been saying . When he says team i expect he means wages bonuses etc plus a few new players like

earnshaw ,billy sharp, eastwood ,just think of the millions they could waste.

" You guys are beginning to become spin masters "Bin masters more like. Same twists, same lies, same names. Every time

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

No Mr Carrow, I did not misunderstand your post. You chose to write it in such a way that it appeared the board chose to sell those players in order to balance the books but when challenged you back track. You guys are beginning to become spin masters [8-)]

[/quote]

Nutty, neither you nor i know whether the board "chose" to sell those players to balance the books or not.  They have, however, said that profit on transfers will make up in part for not having parachute payments this year.  Funny that you choose to obsess over this point and ignore all the other ones......Pointless debating with people so completely tunnel-visioned to be honest, your broken record will remain the same no matter what happens in the summer, whereas i am keeping my fingers crossed that the board smash mine to smithereens.......[:)]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Not at all nutty, you have misunderstood my post.  My point is that without the player sales the club would have made an overall loss, despite 24,000 gates and £7.1m parachute payments.  Now why do you think this is?[/quote]

Is it because it is extremely hard to run a football club without racking up huge debts ?  Or is it "lack of ambition", whatever that means ?

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" You guys are beginning to become spin masters "

Bin masters more like.

Same twists, same lies, same names.

Every time
[/quote]

Here we go again. Poor little Walphy cant understand how someone can be against those that run our club yet want the team to succed, so what does he do? Yep, the predictable your all binners. Pathetic club empoyee working with Doncaster for too long methinks.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Not at all nutty, you have misunderstood my post.  My point is that without the player sales the club would have made an overall loss, despite 24,000 gates and £7.1m parachute payments.  Now why do you think this is?[/quote]

Is it because it is extremely hard to run a football club without racking up huge debts ?  Or is it "lack of ambition", whatever that means ?

[/quote]

It`s quite easy to run up huge debts if you are obsessed with ploughing millions into land, a road, infill, new pitch/ticket office/corporate facilities etc. As i have pointed out before, the club made a decent profit with no player sales in the play-off year, but now seem to require vastly higher income to break even.  The off-pitch stuff is having the opposite effect to the lazy assumptions posted on here- it is draining the club of cash.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Bin masters more like.

Every time
[/quote]

Here we go again. Poor little Walphy cant understand how someone can be against those that run our club yet want the team to succed, so what does he do? Yep, the predictable your all binners. Pathetic club empoyee working with Doncaster for too long methinks.

[/quote]

Agree with you Arthur.  I may not agree with anything you say.  I may argue the toss with Mr Carrow.  But everytime I try to keep it constructive.  Sometimes I make a mistake and make myself look a berk, sometimes I dig a good intelligent arguement out.  To resort to calling people binners is just silly and a little childish, especially when they something you dont agree with.  But isn''t that the fun of debate.  Argument and counter argument.  Its what keeps everything interesting.

That said though, I do have my doubts about Mr Carrow.  Is he a binner? :)

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

It`s quite easy to run up huge debts if you are obsessed with ploughing millions into land, a road, infill, new pitch/ticket office/corporate facilities etc. As i have pointed out before, the club made a decent profit with no player sales in the play-off year, but now seem to require vastly higher income to break even.  The off-pitch stuff is having the opposite effect to the lazy assumptions posted on here- it is draining the club of cash.

[/quote]

You can''t get securitisation / loan extensions for players.  They are considered too risky by financial institutions.  You can, however, get extra money to put into bricks and mortar, so that you can generate income over the long term to pay for players.

As I said above, it''s not just us either.  Over the last decade, the top 92 clubs have spent on average 20 million more per year (ok, so that''s just over 200k per club, but it''s still more) on stadium improvements than they have on transfer fees.  So most of the other clubs are doing similar things to us, it''s either that or their grounds are falling apart like Selhurst Park.  My question to you Mr C is - why do you expect NCFC to be any different from the vast majority of other clubs ?

Mr Carrow you have my sympathy pal, its like talking to brick walls, there is non so blind as them that wont see. We will see what happens in the summer. i predict the usual, name dropping, being outbid, did not want to come here, club is too small, end up with the scraps scenario. I really hope i am wrong.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty, neither you nor i know whether the board "chose" to sell those players to balance the books or not.  They have, however, said that profit on transfers will make up in part for not having parachute payments this year.  Funny that you choose to obsess over this point and ignore all the other ones......Pointless debating with people so completely tunnel-visioned to be honest, your broken record will remain the same no matter what happens in the summer, whereas i am keeping my fingers crossed that the board smash mine to smithereens.......[:)]

[/quote]

This is unfair Mr Carrow. It''s your broken record that stops you seeing all around you. I may have the thickest pair of yellow and green welding goggles on this board but you have the biggest pair of blinkers. I criticise the board when I believe they have made mistakes yet I am perceived to be pro-board because I don''t do it all the time.

Yes you are right, nobody can prove the board didn''t choose to sell those players to balance the books. You can either believe what you are told or just assume that the people who run our club deceive us. Of course the posters that spin a web of deceit on here get caught out in the end, as is apparent on another thread at the moment, so if the board do they will be too.

Mr Carrow - is there any part of supporting Norwich City that you still enjoy?

" " there is non so blind as them that wont see"

Which would seem to apply to you Ricky. Try reading the post above from blah...Then please explain why you seem to be siding with the binners whose club have twice fallen into a hideous financial mess through serious under investment in their infrastructure.

Ralphy, I dont give a rats behind about other teams, how they operate, what they spend, dont spend. I just worry about NCFC and the boards current policies are not working, as a battle to avoid relegation to league 1 proves.Every transfer window, we name drop and miss the boat, give  daft excuses, end up with scraps and sell our best players at the first hint of a profit.

The squad we have, half aint even our players and 80 percent of them aint good enough to get us in the playoffs, let alone automatic promotion. I keep saying wait till summer, we will all see if they have learnt anything by thier mistakes, i hope so, but history tell me this lot wont.

[quote user="jimmy500"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Bin masters more like.

Every time
[/quote]

[/quote]

Agree with you Arthur.  I may not agree with anything you say.  I may argue the toss with Mr Carrow.  But everytime I try to keep it constructive.  Sometimes I make a mistake and make myself look a berk, sometimes I dig a good intelligent arguement out.  To resort to calling people binners is just silly and a little childish, especially when they something you dont agree with.  But isn''t that the fun of debate.  Argument and counter argument.  Its what keeps everything interesting.

That said though, I do have my doubts about Mr Carrow.  Is he a binner? :)

[/quote]

Agree 100%. We are never going to agree on the same issues thats the whole point of a forum, its a tad annonying when some twerp like Walph claims that anyone with a different opinion to his is a binner. I follow the badge not the board. Its not that hard to understand surely? Ive made myself look foolish at times protesting this but who hasnt?

All the best jimmy

Regards Arthur

[quote user="ricky knight"]Mr Carrow you have my sympathy pal, its like talking to brick walls, there is non so blind as them that wont see. We will see what happens in the summer. i predict the usual, name dropping, being outbid, did not want to come here, club is too small, end up with the scraps scenario. I really hope i am wrong.[/quote]

Who were the big names we were outbid for in the summer ?  To give you a clue about the state of the game at the moment, they were all from league 1 teams.  Y''see, even the parachute payment teams can''t attract talented players away from the Premiership reserve leagues and their vast wages.

Varney (Crewe - Charlton) - reportedly on over 20,000 per week for 7 goals this season.  Charlton are 9th with the help of their parachute payments.

Sharp (Scunny - Sheff Utd) - we bid over 2 million for him - he''s scored 5 goals this season.  Sheff Utd are 5 points above us, in 13th.

Freddie Eastwood (Southend - Wolves) - 1.5 million to Wolves if I recall correctly.  4 goals this season.

We bought Jamie Cureton for 750k.  He has scored 14 goals this season, and would probably agree that he could have had a lot more.

Well done Blah.  A factual assessment of the REAL situation in the Championship.  We have got more out of loans and Cureton than teams got spending a fortune. 

Just to clarify for the thicko''s  THIS LEAGUE IS NOT ABOUT MONEY SPENT. 

[quote user="ricky knight"]Mr Carrow you have my sympathy pal, its like talking to brick walls, there is non so blind as them that wont see. We will see what happens in the summer. i predict the usual, name dropping, being outbid, did not want to come here, club is too small, end up with the scraps scenario. I really hope i am wrong.[/quote]

Who were the big names we were outbid for in the summer ?  To give you a clue about the state of the game at the moment, they were all from league 1 teams.  Y''see, even the parachute payment teams can''t attract talented players away from the Premiership reserve leagues and their vast wages.

Varney (Crewe - Charlton) - reportedly on over 20,000 per week for 7 goals this season.  Charlton are 9th with the help of their parachute payments.

Sharp (Scunny - Sheff Utd) - we bid over 2 million for him - he''s scored 5 goals this season.  Sheff Utd are 5 points above us, in 13th.

Freddie Eastwood (Southend - Wolves) - 1.5 million to Wolves if I recall correctly.  4 goals this season.

We bought Jamie Cureton for 750k.  He has scored 14 goals this season, and would probably agree that he could have had a lot more.

[/quote]

to score you have to play, Varney, never rated, but sharp and Eastwood proven scorers, both have not been played, sharp is scoring now playing, Eastwood fell out with manager early on but would still take him here in a heartbeat. You telling ''me with chances created and missed by us, these two would'' nt make a difference, cant believe it if you are. So what you expecting in the summer blah, pray tell.

[/quote]Excellent post Blah, just proves once again that simply throwing money at players doesn''t guarantee success.

[quote user="ricky knight"]to score you have to play, Varney, never rated, but sharp and Eastwood proven scorers, both have not been played, sharp is scoring now playing, Eastwood fell out with manager early on but would still take him here in a heartbeat. You telling ''me with chances created and missed by us, these two would'' nt make a difference, cant believe it if you are. So what you expecting in the summer blah, pray tell.[/quote]

I have no idea at all ricky to be honest.  I hope to be pleasantly surprised in the summer, but it''s impossible to know what to expect with so many players'' futures in the balance in close season.  I''d imagine we''ll have 15-18 players capable of playing in the first team come august, bolstered with some season-long loans.  But with the exception of those on long-term contracts, I have no idea who those players will be.

Sorry Ricky but that is rubbish. If agents chose to float stories in the dimwit''s comics about such and such player''s being linked to such and such a club then more fool you for believing it.

You contradict yourself by complaining that half the players* aren''t ours yet gripe when players leave. How are they ''ours'' if they can leave. If the club won''t accept a get out clause then it''s failing to show ambition. (Ambition, baa baaaa) If it signs a player and accepts the get out clause you again moan.

If it is a relegation battle simply because of mathematical possibilities then only nine clubs are cuurently safe from relegation.Maybe it''s your gloomy outlook that''s led you to side with the closet binners on here. Since Roeder took over we have averaged a point and a half a game. Thta''s about play off place standard.Perhaps after a summer''s break and a chance to sort things out without having to rely upon survival as the watch word we will achieve what we all want. In the mean time until you can show chapter and verse exactly how much less the club has spent than other championship clubs you are merely whilstling (whinging) in the dark.I would suggest you ask one or two (unless it''s the same binner) on here to conjure up a few figures to prove your point. Maybe the sale of Hugh Curran to Sunderland in 1998 by Archie MacAuley should be factored in to the total !

* not a very accurate figure either

Bin masters more like.

Every time
[/quote]

Watch that blood pressure Ralphus......Still on for a Babycham in the C & H on Sunday afternoon? You can join me and my fellow closet ''binner'' mates (all wearing the camouflage, of Yellow an'' Green'')......Somehow, I don''t think you''ll turn up.......I suppose you don''t want to miss the Emmerdale omnibus on Freeview....

C''MON YOU BLUES!.......[:D] You do make me larf......[:D]

you really talk alot without saying nout Ralph. How do you compare a Loan player to one of ours, for a start a signed player a least commands a fee when he leaves and is commited for a bit more than a month at a time.

Just being mathmatically involved in relegation as you put it is a failure for this club, Once again i dont care about the other nine, not my concern.

I dont see expecting a team good enough to challenge for promoton as unreasonable, i and if Roeder is half the guy i think he is, will expect the backing to bring us to that standard in the summer. I am sorry if its foreign to you but i like to win and imo we dont have to skint ourselves to do it, but i do expect us to be more adventurous in the transfer market.

Whats all this Binners nonsense, i cant stand them and i get really pxssed whn they are in with the chance of the playoffs and we aint, but its your only comeback pal. "you are a Binner", get a life mate.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]Excellent post Blah, just proves once again that simply throwing money at players doesn''t guarantee success.

[/quote]

Lappin my friend i can understand the point you are making but in any business if you lose your best performers you must ensure that the people you replace them with are as good or better than the ones you lose and our board did not do that in the summer with the likes of Big Dave. I know the issue with clauses and what not,but Huckerby saw it and the league position would suggest he was right all along. The loans are fine for now and hopefully prove there worth but it should of never came to such a policy in the first place.We as a club must look at the bigger picture this summer if we are to progress. GR must be given a big budget this summer to gel a team for a promotion push. I''ve no problem with a couple of loans but if you look at the likes of Derby,Birmingham and Sunderland in the past, it seems to pay off if you speculate to accumulate,although i must admit in Derbys case,not for long!

Sorry Ricky but you are just as blinkered as the people you are talking about.  The only difference between them and you is that you sit on the other side of the fence.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]Sorry Ricky but that is rubbish. If agents chose to float stories in the dimwit''s comics about such and such player''s being linked to such and such a club then more fool you for believing it.

You contradict yourself by complaining that half the players* aren''t ours yet gripe when players leave. How are they ''ours'' if they can leave. If the club won''t accept a get out clause then it''s failing to show ambition. (Ambition, baa baaaa) If it signs a player and accepts the get out clause you again moan.

If it is a relegation battle simply because of mathematical possibilities then only nine clubs are cuurently safe from relegation.

Maybe it''s your gloomy outlook that''s led you to side with the closet binners on here. Since Roeder took over we have averaged a point and a half a game. Thta''s about play off place standard.

Perhaps after a summer''s break and a chance to sort things out without having to rely upon survival as the watch word we will achieve what we all want. In the mean time until you can show chapter and verse exactly how much less the club has spent than other championship clubs you are merely whilstling (whinging) in the dark.

I would suggest you ask one or two (unless it''s the same binner) on here to conjure up a few figures to prove your point. Maybe the sale of Hugh Curran to Sunderland in 1998 by Archie MacAuley should be factored in to the total !

* not a very accurate figure either
[/quote]

1st- Ask yourself Walfy why ''Survival'' is the watch word.

2nd-Maybe you would like to answer some previous questions put towards you[ Mr Carrow springs to mind] before whistling [whinging] in the dark. I would suggest you get some figures of Neil before you enter into your silly paranoia binner rubbish. [unless you are the very same Neil in question!]

[quote]Just being mathmatically involved in relegation as you put it is a failure for this club, Once again i dont care about the other nine, not my concern.[/quote]

Barring a miracle, we were always likely to be mathematically involved after the start we had though Ricky - if you ignore all the binner nonsense, Ralph does make a good point, 1.5 points per game since Roeder started is a good return from the squad we had plus loanees.  Like you say, some backing will be required - but I suspect Roeder is creating the neccesity for backing as much as anyone, other managers would have been happy to "go with what we''ve got", Roeders'' approach seems to be "you have to back me, or we won''t have any players left", as they''re either performing to his required high standards, or they won''t be here for long.

[quote user="jimmy500"]

Sorry Ricky but you are just as blinkered as the people you are talking about.  The only difference between them and you is that you sit on the other side of the fence.

[/quote]

show me where i am wrong then.