Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Norwich City's "The Greatest" Event

Neil Doncaster''s latest EDP article certainly reeks of the same desperation as Hucks'' recent phone calls.When I saw this event advertised, I couldn''t believe that anyone would want to go. But then I thought, well, the club must have done some market research, they must be confident that they''ll get a healthy crowd. It doesn''t seem that way now...I''ll go if Hartson will be there.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Neil Doncaster''s latest EDP article certainly reeks of the same desperation as Hucks'' recent phone calls.

[/quote]

He doesn''t even seem to realise the latest x factor guest has been named as Ben Mills (who isnt bad to be fair).  The club seems desperate for cash at the moment with todays email from NCFC is advertising the following:

YOUR MESSAGE TO DION

With striker Dion Dublin set to hang up his boots at the end of the season, the Club is offering fans the chance to say thanks, good luck, goodbye and commemorate Dion’s unique contribution to football.

Your message to Dion will be displayed on the scoreboard and in the matchday programme for City’s final home game of the season against Queens Park Rangers on Saturday, April 26 and also on the Club’s official website www.canaries.co.uk

The cost of a message is £25 with all proceeds going to the Club’s Academy Tactic Zone Appeal. Please call 0870 444 1902 to place your message. The final date for submitting a message to be included for the programme is 5pm on Monday, April 21, 2008.

£25!!!!!!!!!!!

Presumably if I was that desparate to pass on my best wishes to Dion I could simply write to him c/o NCFC, Carrow Road, Norwich. All for the princely sum of..............whatever a first class stamp costs these days [:$] .

I got my ticket for the Event the first day they went on sale. I am a huge Rhydian fan, I quite like Ray, I love Ben Mills, can put up with Jamelia, I think its great! Seeing our Greatest ever, great day out, well done to the organisers! Considering some of the matches I''ve sat through over the last two years, I deserve a nice day out!

Sorry , but for £ 70 My kids would want more than some x Factor no marks 

the greatest ever team is a great idea , but is so subjective - to me the 2nd div champ team of 85.86 played the best football I have ever seen at Carrow road , to others the 71 promtion team , others the 59 team - so how can you possible compare players from different eras , impossible - Bone , MacDougall , Drinkell , Fleck or Bly - I would say Drinkell or Fleck , but having not really seen teh others-  how do I know ?

This could have been a superb event , incorporated into the opens day £ 5 entry and a gala dinner later , instead £ 25 and it will end up a farce

I have written to the EDP, because I''m sad:Dear Sirs,In

his latest column, Neil Doncaster''s defence of the "Greatest" event shows once

more that the current Carrow Road administration are wholly out of touch with

the fans whom they should be serving.  The event is a travesty.  Does it not say

it all about this current board that, instead of spending the money on a class

act who may have sold tickets and pleased thousands, they have instead opted for

a cheaper option of unknowns, not good enoughs and tribute acts?  Never has the

parallel with their transfer policy been so evident as with this

event.The club''s greatest eleven players deserve nothing less than a

standing ovation as they complete a lap of honour at Carrow Road, be it before a

home match or at half-time, in front of a sold-out crowd of fans who have stuck

loyally by the club through three years of poor quality football performed, with

one or two exceptions, by far less able players than thoseof our "greatest"

line-up.  Instead, the winning XI will be unveiled to a gaggle of children who

have little or no knowledge, or interest, of the heroic deeds these men once

performed and will instead be watching glassy-eyed with boredom and counting

down the minutes until a troupe of X-Factor runners-up entertain

them. May I suggest that for once, the board take the radical approach

of loosening the purse strings and giving Glenn Roeder the money to build a team

we can be proud of?  No amount of marketing and spin will succeed as ably as

this in winning back a set of fans who are fast tiring of being offered

sideshows and gimmicks when all they really want to see is quality

football.Sincerely,

Chops

Listening to Radio Boredland the other day I heard.....''Live the Dream, and hire the pitch at Carrow Road!''......I think you can have a kick-about on it, have your chums score at the Barclay End and some other stuff......What next? A Phallic bouncy Castle - like what the had on Phoenix Nights?.....Face Painting using Acrylic and Gloss?.....Tour of the stadium riding in the basket of a butcher''s bike pedal powered by the Chief Exec?......Are we really that Desperado for wonga?

Mello type Marketing......piece of doddle......Getting the right mix and attraction.....may be a stumbling block..... 

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Listening to Radio Boredland the other day I heard.....''Live the Dream, and hire the pitch at Carrow Road!''......I think you can have a kick-about on it, have your chums score at the Barclay End and some other stuff......What next? A Phallic bouncy Castle - like what the had on Phoenix Nights?.....Face Painting using Acrylic and Gloss?.....Tour of the stadium riding in the basket of a butcher''s bike pedal powered by the Chief Exec?......Are we really that Desperado for wonga?

Mello type Marketing......piece of doddle......Getting the right mix and attraction.....may be a stumbling block..... 

[/quote]

Why would NCFC have a phallic bouncy castle?

Why face-painting with Acrylic and Gloss?

Are these supposed to have some hidden meaning? I do not really get it, could you please explain?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I have written to the EDP, because I''m sad:Dear Sirs,In

his latest column, Neil Doncaster''s defence of the "Greatest" event shows once

more that the current Carrow Road administration are wholly out of touch with

the fans whom they should be serving.  The event is a travesty.  Does it not say

act who may have sold tickets and pleased thousands, they have instead opted for

event.The club''s greatest eleven players deserve nothing less than a

standing ovation as they complete a lap of honour at Carrow Road, be it before a

home match or at half-time, in front of a sold-out crowd of fans who have stuck

loyally by the club through three years of poor quality football performed, with

one or two exceptions, by far less able players than thoseof our "greatest"

line-up.  Instead, the winning XI will be unveiled to a gaggle of children who

have little or no knowledge, or interest, of the heroic deeds these men once

performed and will instead be watching glassy-eyed with boredom and counting

down the minutes until a troupe of X-Factor runners-up entertain

them. May I suggest that for once, the board take the radical approach

of loosening the purse strings and giving Glenn Roeder the money to build a team

we can be proud of?  No amount of marketing and spin will succeed as ably as

this in winning back a set of fans who are fast tiring of being offered

sideshows and gimmicks when all they really want to see is quality

football.Sincerely,

Chops

[/quote]

Good letter Chops. I can''t for the life of me imagine who thought of contacting anyone on the X Factor to front this event (and the relative costs involved). Will the club actually make any money out of this event? I imagine that was their intention.

Out of touch. Yes, Chops I agree with you on that, trying to encourage a new generation of fans, fine, but better he try that by providing something worth watching on the pitch first. If any of the kids going to this event want to come back, will they expect popstars every week? Will they realise it''s a football ground. I could have told Doncaster that my kids were attracted to supporting NCFC by watching the likes of Fox, Sutton, Gunn and Goss every week. Maybe they were just lucky.

A shame as this could have been a great tribute to our greatest players. Shame about the format. One positive chops though, at least in future Doncaster might stick to football. lol

Love your letter, Chops, but this bit amused me the most...[quote user="Mister Chops"]Does it not say

event.
[/quote]I have to say, being up here I''d not heard anything about this event until I read this thread and my initial reaction was "oh here we go, people taking pot shots at the club for everything they do"... then I read more and learnt more about the event and... oh my christ, this isn''t what I wanted! It''s not what anyone wanted! Our "Greatest" are probably going to be very embarassed and alienated by the club at the event, I''m almost hoping one or two of them boycott it just to make a point.I''ve long held the belief that the problem at the club isn''t necessarily "The Board" or "Delia" but the clown Doomcaster... This has pretty much made up my mind.  Despite him being an amiable enough fellow, willing to talk to fans outside the ground prior to each game (does he still do that? doubt it, somehow, that was when we were successful), he seems desperate to turn everything into some kind of PR stunt, the problem being that they''re usually horribly misguided.  This will be a PR disaster for the club, no doubt.

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Are these supposed to have some hidden meaning? I do not really get it, could you please explain?

[/quote]

I guess it means that you''re one of the few people who have yet to discover Phoenix Nights - a sit-com from a few years back on channel 4.  The show centres around a northern bloke in a wheelchair who runs a working mens'' club, and whose every scheme to get rich quick turns into an unmitigated disaster.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="bunny"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I guess it means that you''re one of the few people who have yet to discover Phoenix Nights - a sit-com from a few years back on channel 4.  The show centres around a northern bloke in a wheelchair who runs a working mens'' club, and whose every scheme to get rich quick turns into an unmitigated disaster.

[/quote]

Thank-you.