Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Norwich City's "The Greatest" Event

Is anyone actually going to go to this?  I think it sounds like a terrible event and will no doubt feature countless opportunities to "cross-sell" Delia''s eight restaurants and other "merchandising" possibilities.  It will no doubt feature a cringeworthy PA of the kind who urges us all at kick off to "come on Canary fans, make some noise for the boys", and as for the music bookings - Jamelia?  As a headline act?  Fair play for marrying Darren Byfield when she could likely have her pick, but really?

Frankly, the whole thing makes me slightly queasy and I hope they sell disappointing numbers of tickets so they learn this is a rubbish idea.

Well I''m not attending "The Greatest Event"........Unfortunately, it just doesn''t appeal to me. Although, I do hope there is a decent gathering.....

i am starting a new campaign to save the quickly endangered hucker-bee, these poor helpless animals are forced to sit behind a desk and talk to the public with a razor blade held to his hair, they hold these poor creatures locked away in the dungeon that is the abandoned ticket office and feed him with regular but only small doses of money.wont anybody stop this monstrosity????if you care, for just 15 pounds you can buy a ticket to the greatest ever event and help pay towards the ransom fee asked by NCFC...A BETTER ADVERT?????

When it was first announced i thought it sounded good. It will be the chance to see legends past and present beng rewarded for there contribution and to possibly hear some food music.

It is now turning into a farce. Ray Quinn, Rhydian and that Ben fella are an absolute joke. It feels like an xfactor reject concert! If i wanted to see them i would have booked up for the end of series tour. Add to that Jamelia, who im sure doesnt have a "football fan" following (although she is fit) and a local band, who maybe good, but are probably only there for there name. I like Queen and the tribute band may be good but..its a tribute band FFS and nobody will ever be able to emulate Freddie Mercury!

I am always quite envious of the binners for the gigs they get. REM and The Chilli Peppers are great catches, why do we always seem to get this 2nd rate crap??

Im refusing to pay £25 for this as i dont feel i will be entertained, but if they lower the price or get someone on the line up worth seeing then i may reconsider.

Shame as it was originally a great idea.

Rant over.

hi new user here.i am taking my 2 girls to this event and they are both very excited about seeing the people who played for norwich

in the past and the entertainment ie jamelia .as for the price yes expensive but worth it to see their faces.

So the musical line-up is not to everyone''s taste but there are people out there who quite like the "X-factor" type entertainment plus there''s the chance to salute our "greatest ever". If you don''t like it why make such a big fuss about it?

[quote user="buddhaboy"]i am starting a new campaign to save the quickly endangered hucker-bee, these poor helpless animals are forced to sit behind a desk and talk to the public with a razor blade held to his hair, they hold these poor creatures locked away in the dungeon that is the abandoned ticket office and feed him with regular but only small doses of money.
wont anybody stop this monstrosity????
if you care, for just 15 pounds you can buy a ticket to the greatest ever event and help pay towards the ransom fee asked by NCFC...

A BETTER ADVERT?????
[/quote]

I''ve just read "The Man" and he agrees with you 100%.  (You''re not him, are you?)

[quote user="bunny"]So the musical line-up is not to everyone''s taste but there are people out there who quite like the "X-factor" type entertainment plus there''s the chance to salute our "greatest ever". If you don''t like it why make such a big fuss about it?[/quote]

Yeah your average football fan loves it......great market analysis....

[quote user="bunny"]So the musical line-up is not to everyone''s taste but there are people out there who quite like the "X-factor" type entertainment plus there''s the chance to salute our "greatest ever". If you don''t like it why make such a big fuss about it?[/quote]It''s called discussion, amigo.  I think this is a waste of time and money and wanted to canvass the views of other people.  You really are quick to jump on any hint of "dissent" against the club/board, aren''t you?  Luckily, this isn''t Tibet.

Having this week had a recorded phone call from Darren Huckerby about the Greatest Ever Event on my mobile i was wondering how much this has cost the club to make these thousands of calls. Would this money be better spent elsewhere?  as we are forever being told that we do not have a huge pot of gold to spend!

Hope we put one over the scum today as i will be spending alot more time with Ipswich fans over the next few days as my daughter who unfortunately lives in Ipswich is about to give birth to my first grandchild, all of her partners family are town fans and i would like to have the last laugh!

Come On City

When this was first announced I wanted to go, not for the music but to see all the ex players. Of course I have seen most of them before, if not playing at similar events, testimonials and in the centenary year. I just can''t get my head round paying £25 for musical acts I just don''t want to see. If I stay at home I can hear them for free anyway.

I still don''t know. Several people I know are going just for the novelty factor. I fully appreciate that the music on offer will appeal to some fans and it is hard to please everyone''s musical taste, but as someone has already said, if Ipswich Town can attract the likes of the Chillis then surely we can do better.

Is it just me or could this event have been totally dedicated to football and not bands/singers. Or even better let some new local bands have some welcome exposure.

I think this could be an absolute embarrassment, particularly if the ticket sales are as low as rumoured.

There is just no synergy between the music on offer and the type of crowd who would come along to see Norwich City''s all time greats. The upshot is that we have a bunch of Norwich legends travelling from far and wide to attend an event where they think they will be greeted by Norwich fans (and these guys deserve to be greeted by thousands of norwich fans) and they will be faced with a crowd full of teenage girls and housewifes there to see a bunch of no-marks from X factor who have probably never heard of Terry Alcock or Martin Peters. If it wasn''t for the embarassment this could cause I would not care but i think this is really badly thought out.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

I think this could be an absolute embarrassment, particularly if the ticket sales are as low as rumoured.

There is just no synergy between the music on offer and the type of crowd who would come along to see Norwich City''s all time greats. The upshot is that we have a bunch of Norwich legends travelling from far and wide to attend an event where they think they will be greeted by Norwich fans (and these guys deserve to be greeted by thousands of norwich fans) and they will be faced with a crowd full of teenage girls and housewifes there to see a bunch of no-marks from X factor who have probably never heard of Terry Alcock or Martin Peters. If it wasn''t for the embarassment this could cause I would not care but i think this is really badly thought out.

[/quote]I agree with that word for word. It''s a PR disaster waiting to happen.

I have to agree with the majority of views on this thread.Want to mark the Greatest Ever Norwich City XI? What on earth does that have to do with Jamelia and the merry band of X-Factor rejects??? Why not a testiomonial style match where some of the legends put on a City shirt one more time?This really does sound like the most ill-thought out event that the club have ever put together.

agreed Gazza... i was at the Chillis Gig at poorman road in the crush at the front near the stage... A superb night! they even had the Zutons  there at 1 point.. why the hell do we rely on 1 gig every so often.... ok So George Michael is popular for some... but if Ipswich can attract big names regularly why cant we?!

I agree about not having the musicians there... why not just unveil them all at the open day and save a few quid...

jas :)

Im going with my two young boys. The club puts on great family entertainment, which matters more than winning and losing on the pitch. So tired of all the sniping about failure and success, thats not the point of football is it? "As long as the boys had a good day out" is my motto.

[quote user="Jim Duffy"]Im going with my two young boys. The club puts on great family entertainment, which matters more than winning and losing on the pitch. So tired of all the sniping about failure and success, thats not the point of football is it? "As long as the boys had a good day out" is my motto.[/quote]Exactly.  If only we had Ian Murray to play centre-back, he''d have had a nice run around yesterday and a lovely time on the team coach home.  Meanwhile back at Carrow Road at "the Greatest", Mums and Dads can watch the legends of yesteryear and remember, with a mixture of anger and pride, what it was like when we were a decent side with some highly talented individuals, and the kiddies can get hyperactive on fizzy drinks before jumping up and down to one of Jamelia''s three hit singles and vomiting on the pitch.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Jim Duffy"]Im going with my two young boys. The club puts on great family entertainment, which matters more than winning and losing on the pitch. So tired of all the sniping about failure and success, thats not the point of football is it? "As long as the boys had a good day out" is my motto.[/quote]Exactly.  If only we had Ian Murray to play centre-back, he''d have had a nice run around yesterday and a lovely time on the team coach home.  Meanwhile back at Carrow Road at "the Greatest", Mums and Dads can watch the legends of yesteryear and remember, with a mixture of anger and pride, what it was like when we were a decent side with some highly talented individuals, and the kiddies can get hyperactive on fizzy drinks before jumping up and down to one of Jamelia''s three hit singles and vomiting on the pitch.[/quote]I might consider going if they get some of those giant inflatable sumo wrestlers that they used to have in the early days of Sky. That would add both nostalgia and credibility to an already outstanding array of talent.

I started following city 1991-1992 and would actually like to see some of the ''greatest'' city players of all time - but the thought of also having to endure Rhydian, Ray Quinn and Jamelia and then paying £25 for the priviledge has really swung it for me. So no, I won''t be there.

''Rumour'' has it.......that ticket sales aren''t encouraging....Bit unfortunate really, I just think it''s an uninspiring event - that hasn''t really attracted the interest of.....the apathetic disinterested....[:|]

According to some sources less than 1000 tickets have been sold. I personally didn''t get a call from Hucks either, not that it would have mattered either way. Sorry NCFC, if this event to mark our former greats was simply about football you might have filled the stadium. By all means have some musical entertainment, but not on the same day.

I am sure the organisers thought this would be a great way to get fans together in celebration, but they either had a thin budget (therefore getting the headliners they did) or thought the majority of fans wouldn''t really notice/care.

Personally I will go to the Open Day and see/chat to a few players (past and present) and enjoy the forum with board and manager, marvel at how much people are prepared to pay for a player''s shirt etc, etc all for nothing but a few refreshments along the way.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"] Personally I will go to the Open Day and see/chat to a few players (past and present) and enjoy the forum with board and manager, marvel at how much people are prepared to pay for a player''s shirt etc, etc all for nothing but a few refreshments along the way.[/quote]

Me too Gazza [:)]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

if Ipswich can attract big names regularly why cant we?!

[/quote]

As ever, blame Robin Hood. People just arent happy to travel through forests these days, and with good reason. The Thetford one has a bad rep with musos - many bands have entered, not many have been seen (or heard) from again.

Needless to say, with a musical "feast" this bountiful, I''ll be firmly crossing all my fingers for more of the same.

A football match would have made sense, considering that it is a 6 hour or whatever event, i''m sure a game could have been fitted in. Whether that be a legends match, or perhaps the current squad V a Canary Legend team out more recent players (e.g Mackay). I seem to remember an event years back, was it Tim Sheppherds testimonial ??? when Bellamy and others returned to play a part.

Then they could have fitted Jamelia and the X factor rejects, not forgetting the Queen tribute band, Captain Canary and razz the Clown around that. With a parade of legends, and the announcement of the Greatest X1 at the start or end.

That i definately would go to.