Sign in to follow this  
NMTD

Second teams - who do you have a soft spot for?

My second team would be liverpool, I don''t think I have a reason. I can just remeber supporting them when I was little before my dad took me to see the mighty canaries!

erm.... well every year i support the canaries and i aslo have one team from every other division

Prem Liverpool
Div 1 Norwich
Div 2 Posh
Div 3 Yeovil

nxt season tho

Prem Norwich
Div 1 Crewe, palace (providing they dont go up) or Ip**** only Kidding!!!!!!!!
Div 2 Posh
Div 3 Yeovil

Most of the teams whose results I look out for have a logical reason:

Aberystwyth Town - since I studied in that Welsh town
Mansfield Town - good friend is a die-hard Stag
Leyton Orient - close to where I live
Celtic - loved the uniqueness of their kit as a boy - now reinforced by Martin O''Neill and Chris Sutton''s careers at Ibrox

but for some illogical reason that I can''t figure out, I always look out for the results of:
Cambridge City !!!

(btw have also lived in Sheffield and Wimbledon but have no interest in the Owls, Blades or Franchise FC)

Queen of the South in Scotland - now doing reasonably well in Div 1 up there. I went to see a couple of games when I lived that way on and remember them playing Hamilton in Div 2 after they were due to be relegated a few years ago. QOTS were beaten on the day but stayed up when Hamilton were deducted 15 points by the SFL who went down by a point after the season had finished saving the Doonhammers bacon.

Also has to be the only football ground built in a Tesco''s car park!

Don''t really support another team except the mighty Blofield Utd, but I do like the plucky little West Country clubs (this ain''t no country club) like Argyle, Yeovil, Cheltenham and Torquay ( I was almost the only person at Carra Rd who cheered their consolation goal against us in the cola cup years ago - I felt sorry for them).

Also Bristol Rovers because, like the dungeon master Mr Raven, I studied at Bristol & always lived north of the river, including quite near the Memorial Ground. Moreover, the Ashton Gate lot have both posh Cliftonite fans and a hooligan base, whereas Rovers show better the true Bristolian character (the only thing making them inauthentic is that they use a "funny-shaped ball", as I''ve heard commented).

Abroad, I favour Barca, St Pauli & Celtic due to their fans'' passion and their identification with the courageous resistance of minorities against imperialism! Plus Mainz 05 of Germany where I have lived - poor football but a great carnival atmosphere, especially around Shrove Tuesday.

I have a soft spot for Ipswich, its a boggy marsh in southern Ireland.

Albion Rovers- used to work with a canny little scotsman sadly no longer with us who could tell stories with the best of them. He was born just near their ground and had news clippings pinned up at work telling of their record attendance of something like 2,800. Only there was 800 inside the ground the other 2,000 watching from a grassy bank outside the ground for free because they didn''t want to pay not cause they couldn''t get in. It could only happen in Scotland. Still look out for their result and chuckle to myself when I see they''ve lost and can just here George''s words of "enjoy yer team cos, my are ******* useless"

I only ventured south of the river once to Ashton Gate and that was to see Norwich lose to Bristol City (1999 I think). The rumours about the folk there having webbed feet and smelling of cabbage were true though...

peter i rmember that,we lost 1-0 in a dead game,last of season if its the right year.all i can really remember was shaun carey being rubbish and someone on their team who looked like a girl he had such long hair.didnt think much of the game
abroag i like caley thistle and ross county in scotland,nantes in france as they are yellow and green and called the canaries too,sampdoria in italy for a reason i never know but really really like them,and munchengladbach if that is how you spell it in germany simply because they have such a long name

I was there too Archie. Last game of the season. Bristol City were already down and we lost 1-0. Akinbiyi scored and all I remember was Bristol fans doing the Conger at the other end all game!!

Salisbury City - local club
Sunderland - near my uni and my house here is next to Macateers and see him quite a lot (also saw Kevin Kyle in newsagents the other week - incase you are interested he bought 4 magazines - NUTS, Zoo, Top Gear and 4-4-2!!!)
Posh - Just a great little club.
Cambridge - girlfriend live there
Southampton - Dad has a season ticket
Den Haag - used to live there and they play in Green and Yellow
Nantes - also called the canaries
Beijing Goa An - Watched them when i was living in China (very passionate supporters - used to fire catapults at refs, police and opposition!!!)

However still 100% canary

OTBC

Yes, I also attended the game; must have been Brezzle City''s only victory that season - how embarrassing for us, especially it being Ade. Fair play to them for those memorable relegation celebrations (webbed feet and all)! They certainly mitigated their reputation with that: I think Leeds fans should really have taken a leaf out of their book versus Charlton this season...

i always supported liverpool when i was little, since they got beat by wimbledon in the cup. bout 5 years ago switched my allegiance to city- and when they play, i hope liverpool carry on their form from this season, and we beat them!
my uncle supports both ipswich and norwich- which evers doing best i think....

Felt sorry for those who made the 500-mile round trip whilst I hopped on the bus for my 10-minute jounrey home ;o)

Right Peter, and those poor souls who left to get back before midnight also missed out on such delights as the Corrie Tap and Cosy''s cafe!

(Mind you, I ridiculously & cheaply made it from Bristol to the home play-off semi v. Wolves and back in a day... flukily got the ticket from a chap from Stratton Strawless, that I''d met by chance (in the bakery opposite Habitat) due to wearing my NCFC shirt... Sorry for hijacking this thread with cider-tinted reminiscences. Up the Pirates! OTBC!)