Sign in to follow this  
Scott  Richmond

£5 Million

The EDP is reporting that a local business man is prepared to give the club £5 million in return for a seat on the board.

Does the board have the common sense to accept?

If they don''t, it will speak volumes for way the club is run by Smith/Wynn Jones and their cronies.

Let''s hope that the Board has the common sense to REFUSE! Do we want to go back to the Chase days, when one man decides the future of our Club? If he buys out Delia and Michael (which is very clearly his stated aim), what chance have we got if he suddenly decides he''s fed up with Carrow Road being a football gound and wants to turn it into a gambling complex, a multistore, or a dog track? He clearly has no commitment to football, and even less to Norwich City. If he wants to buy a football club, let''s send him to the other end of the A140. There is no place for this man at Carrow Road.

De Stafano ?

Would think this chap wants something for his money. He is not going to gift the money with a seat on the board as some kind of match day sponsorship type deal.

He will need to buy shares.

Not sure if this is the right way to do it. Wait till the club makes a statement concerning money then offer his football if he can be the striker.

Bit too much like a spoilt child.

He knows what goes with a large share purchase. Apart from a possible place on the board goes responsibilty.

Let him show that and his money then perhaps it can be judged if he is worthy.

I have to say that I was wary when I first read these reports on Saturday, and reading further reports this morning has done nothing to allay my fears. Please ask yourself, why would our club ever want to do business with anyone (not just Mr Davey) through the columns of newspapers? As I have said before on this MB, any responsible business conducts their affairs professionally and confidentially; certainly not shouting about it from the highest steeple.

I don''t know why some posts continue to surprise me on these MB''s, but they do....

"Does the board have the common sense to accept? If they don''t, it will speak volumes
for way the club is run by Smith/Wynn Jones and their cronies."

Common sense????????????

The same common sense used by this poster who is obviously used to running a multi-million pound business, and knows how to grab an opportunity without thinking about the consequences and impact upon their business, let alone obligations to their shareholders.

Sure £5 million would be very welcome for NCFC in the current financial climate. But accepting the first proposal to come your way isn''t necessarily the best solution that would fit with the club''s long-term business objectives. Especially a proposal that says it''s "here today, take it now because it''ll be gone tomorrow".

If what has been reported in the EDP24/Pink''un is a true reflection of the facts, then I would be quite content for Mr Davey to take his money down the A140. I wouldn''t mind betting that his proposal will fall on similarly "deaf ears" at Portman Road.

Totally agree with all comments and very heartened to see this board is so full of level headed sensible people. I expected to come on here and see lots of messages saying we should bite his hand off etc etc.
He''s quite clearly using the press to try and manipulate a situation which already sets the alarm bells ringing.

OTBC

My initial reaction was not to bite his hand off but to simply refuse point blank. Like most people I am more than happy with the way the club has progressed since our Delia & Michael became the major shareholder.

However £5m is a lot of cash to turn down given our current debts. Anyone who is prepared to put £5m into the club deserves to be listened to, but we should not be dictated by them. If we can come to some agreement that lets him have a place on board with a cash injection - some of which should go on players - then I would not see this as a bad thing. It would leave Delia in control, stabilise the club finances and give Mr Davey the opportunity over several seasons to prove that he has the clubs interests at heart rather than his own personal financial or egotistical motives...

I trust our board to make the right decision which I suspect will be to turn the cash down.

Approach with caution!

Right now we are a well-run club and a steady ship. Yes we''re not making a profit, but hardly anyone in the first division is, and many in the Prem aren''t now either. I don''t want to see that upset by someone who is less than completely Norwich at heart.

He clearly isn''t a benevolent donor. He wants a seat on the board. And by going through the media he is playing a poor game. Doubtless there is more to this than meets the eye, and while most fans (including me) would bite off the hand that hold such money, we should be very wary of what follows it.

Especially from someone who''s stated aim is to own a club, any club. Not entirely a Norwich fan then is he? I can''t see me ever wanting to be part of any other club, no matter how much money I had. Its as simple as that....

Ama

I am so glad that most people on this forum share the same views as I do over this issue.

It must be oh so tempting to bite off the hand of someone offering £5m but its the ''afters'' that worry me.

People have criticised the current board for their PR - but blow me - this chap is in another league - the Ryman''s League.

I echo other posters sentiments - the apparant desire to go to the Binners if we don''t play ball - going through the press - good grief, what do you think it would be like in the future if this bloke was in charge? Sounds like he''s got a lot of toys and a very large pram.

It reminds me of a previous ''entrpreneur'' who wanted to take over ManUre - Michael Knighton - remember him - I think he got involved with (maybe he still is) Carlisle and look where they are.

Our current board are so right to proceed with caution. I''m sure Delia and her husband would sell a stake to the right person - one who''s as committed as they are. I''m not sure Mr Davey is the right person. Its up to him to convince us all otherwise, and he hasn''t made a good start.

Is the Russian that bought Chelsea a lifelong fan I dont beleive so, can Norwich afford to turn down 5 million after all he is not looking to take over the club just be a board member football clubs all over England are having investment put in by men who do not have loyalty to the club maybe its time some of the stuffed shirts moved over and let some new blood in

Franco,

Perhaps you should re-read the first report from last Friday/Saturday. This man has clearly stated his ambitions to ''own'' a football club.

Are your sentiments still the same having learned that this gentleman has admitted he''s made no direct approach to the City Board...just merely announced his intentions through the press.

It''s not a case of "stuffy suits", "cronies" and other such terms used on these MB''s. The NCFC Board are professional people who know how to run a business correctly, with dignity, and with the interests of all supporters at heart. You might not like every decision they make. You might not like the fact they don''t conduct their business in public. But believe me, they have the very same ambitions as we all have.

I guess it''s too much for some people to actually think before posting...but really some of you have to get your heads out the clouds, and see things for what they are. Too many are too quick to criticise...because they''re not the ones that would have to live with the consequences of their reckless actions.

Franco - which ''stuffed shirts'' would you like to move over? Who are you referring to?

You talk about Chelsea - a success story so far. Want to talk about Wigan, Reading, Milwall - all of whom are below us in the league?

I''m not saying its not interesting, indeed tempting, just that a pile of cash is not the only thing that you need to get promoted - a bunch of people all pulling in the same direction is far more valuable in the long-term. And, why does this guy want some control/influence? What would he want to change? Why can''t he just buy a load of shares and put money in without (real) influence as a result...? That''s what I''m wondering/suspicious about.

Apart from being a but skint, I can''t see anything wrong with the way the club is being run at the moment.

Ama

Well put Nottingham Canary. Do some people honestly think that somebody is going to approach the board with 5 million and the board are just going to say ''no thanks''. For goodness sake give the board some credit. As you so rightly say these are professional business people who would investigate such matters. Some people must give the board the license to conduct their business as they see fit and not jump on the bandwagon just because somebody has ''supposedly'' offered 5 million without knowing the facts. It is just like the loanees that will have returned by next sat (cos Hucks will go back despite what some people may think). It is then up to the board and manager to get someone else in as I am sure they will in order for this not t be a three month wonder but for goodness sake let them get on with it instead of slagging them off cos the loanees have left which we all knew they would.

Who was the other bloke, not knighton, back in the eighties who claimed he was going to buy man u for 200 million and turn them into the biggest club in the world blah blah. It turned out that he was trying to drum up support via a complete media circus (that he successfully created) for investors to lend him the money! He didn''t have any himself at all! He was just some city broker or somethin. Man U totally bought it as well, he got on the pitch before a few games and was running around like an idiot while the fans chanted his name! Does anyone remember that or am i going completely mad?

That was Michael Knighton in front of the Stretford End..

I think we are right to air caution with Mr Davey..

If he is a lifelong City fan then who in there right mind would even think about investing in the Blue Scum?

Apologies for my comments, you are right the board are doing an excellent job suppose I just get carried away and want NW to be able to build on what he has just dont want to see it all slip away, like none of us do, just have to hope I win the lottery then I would give 5 million myself and want nothing in return !

OTBC

Thats OK Franco. We all want the best for our club and nothing would give us all a great boost to suddenly get 5 million and the players to take us into the Premiership. Surely one of our fans must know a certain Mr Branson and could twist an arm or two.

There''s an idea - perhaps NCST should set up a supporters syndicate for the lottery. 10,000+ tickets would have a pretty good chance of scooping 4 numbers, or even 5! Imagine that, if the syndicate scooped 8 mil or something and gave it all straight to the club!

Well done Franco for having the courage to pop your head above the parapit again!! You don''t need to apologise for anything. We all dare to dream the same dreams...the difference being some on here post from the heart, and some from the head!! If nothing else, it makes for lively debate...and that''s what it''s all about.

Just another thought I want to throw into the mix. Over the last few weeks, I like I''m sure everyone else, has been thinking wouldn''t it be great to sign Crouchy and Hucks. Now that Peter''s returned to AV, and the likelihood is Darren will be heading back up the M6 this weekend, let''s applaud and thank them for their contribution to our club. I know it''s not over till it''s over, but I''ll be truly sorry to see them go.

So where next? Cross fingers and hope that we make it through to the end of the season still in a promotion/play-off place? Of course that could be done, but whilst I''ve "banged-on" about the responsibilities of the Board to its lenders, investors, shareholders and supporters. Whilst I''ve "preached" that they are responsible, professional and conduct their business privately and with dignity...I know one thing for certain.

We can be assured that the NCFC Board will be working with NW to identify the way ahead. To invest £500,000 in half a season is part of a longer-term plan. Everything the Board are doing is working towards securing a Premiership place for Norwich City Football Club. To this point, is just part of a longer-term plan. Crouch and Hucks have delivered beyond expectation. That''s why we find ourselves in second place, a point behind the Baggies. We all knew about Crouchy coming on loan, then at the eleventh hour we were all flabbergasted that Hucks was coming as well. I still remember yelling "&$£%#@* yes!" a dozen times and punching the air with delight when I found out.

It''s hard to believe that the Board and NW could actually unearth a better solution for the second half to our season. But they are doing all they can to make sure the momentum we''ve gathered is not lost. And you know what, I truly believe that they just might.

As Mr Doncaster himself said in his EDP column, "Watch This Space".

Isnt it great to be dreaming of a top two or play off position rather than the uncertanty of relegation lets hope the season continuesto go in the right direction, nice to see Brennan getting into the side think he will prove to be a shrewd investment

Hello,
First of all apologies on sticking my nose in on your forum as I am not a Norwich fan I sadly support Leeds Utd.
I have run a successful horse racing website for the past 5 years and Colin Davey and his schemes are well known to me. He is a "Walter Mitty" type character and invents one great plan after another.

Regards Insider

Can someone just clairify one point here for me, as, living in Essex, I didn''t see any of the local press when this storey first broke.

Was this man actually offering £5m to buy new shares? If so, he''s going to be out of luck, there is only just over £1m available for exisitng shareholders to apply for and the club are currently restricted on the number of new shares it can make available.

If his offer was merely to buy exisiting shares from Delia and her husband, then the money for the purchase would go to them, not the club, as seems to have been reported at the time.

Perhaps I''m missing something here?

No this chap is wishing own a club. So he would have to buy existing shares.

Sadly there are still a number of fans who naively believe that there are loads of friendly old uncle types out there who''ll ruffle the tousled heads of young lad football clubs with the words " there you are young fella me lad " before handing over a half crown for the lad to run off and buy the object of his dreams.

Apart from the two Walkers at Blackburn and Wolves I doubt there really has been any other purely altruistic investment despite outward appearances.

Whilst we might be able to snatch promotion during a period of transition it will not be sustainable without the correct infrastrucure supporting the club.

That means a ground capacity of 25,000 minimum. A healthy and well invested in youth policy and a strict wages system.

Fantasists like Davey should be shown the door. The one marked Dave Sheepshanks.

The binners have been sending bottles of champagne to his house. Whether this can be seen as a measure of their desperation or stupidity I don''t know. There aren''t too short of either.

What I do know is that he is only the answer if the question is "How dumb are we "

Thanks Master Green, my initial post was answered by this morning''s storey on Pink Un web site.

I''m sure this storey is going to cause some amusement down the A140, especially if he does decide to come up with £5m for their share offer.

It would, of course, be simplistic to say we didn''t want his money. Of course any club would. However, that wasn''t what he was offering. He wanted to buy a controlling interest in the club, which isn''t the same thing.

As things stand at the moment, there aren''t £5m worth of shares available for him to purchase. He would be buying existing shares from existing shareholders, with no money initially going to the club.

I can''t help but feel that he went about the whole process in the wrong way. If he geniunely wanted a stake in the club, he could have subscribed to the share issue like anyone else. He could also of then opened up discussions, in private, with existing shareholders, to increase his stake.

Finally, to state, as has been reported, that if he didn''t get what he wanted, he''d go down the road, is insensitive in the extreme. With that subtle approach, he''s welcome anywhere but Carrow Road !!!

It was a publicity stunt from first to last.

The couple who generously put in £100,000 did it THEN spoke about it.

Time now for City fans to start thinking a bit more clearly and help develop this club into a long term viable proposition and leave the pantomime antics where they belong.

Though I must say it''s a bit ironic given the financial mismanagement down the A140 that this years pantomime in ipswich should be Jack in the Beanstalk - the everyday story of a simple farmers lad handing over all his wealth for a handful of beans.

What an escape for all you Norwich fans Mr Davey has now finally turned his attentions to Ipswich Town.
The Ipswich fans are so pleased to hear the news that they are,according to Mr Davey, sending him bottles of champagne.
And finally just to show what a "Walter Mitty" he is,this is his quote today.
""I could be the next Roman Abramovich - I am a winner and any club I get involved in would go right to the top."
Shades of Michael Knighton there and look where he has taken Carlisle.

Insider

Well said Insider. Perhaps Mr. Davey thinks that Ipswich, his second choice, will accept 5p in the pound if he ''buys'' that financial role model for smaller clubs.

The motivations of all this nonsense is abundantly clear. The Pink''un reported that Mr Davey turned up for a meeting with his ''agent'' if you please.

If someone wants to do business, they may be accompanied by an accountant and/or solicitor.

If that someone needs to feed their ego, and is after publicity, then you bring your agent.

Why would any businessman looking to make a substantial investment be followed around by an agent???

Oh, and don''t get me started on how this man sees himself as the next Roman Abramovic.

I really do hope that this man (and his agent) never get their hands on a professional football club anywhere. And yes I''m including our blue and white friends down the A140. Even they don''t deserve that!! Just let them off with a good spanking a week on Sunday at Portaloo Road!

OTBC

PS. Wonder whether the binners will want their bottles of lambrusco back for Christmas??