Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

bristol city game, just got back

Gotta say, Bristol

were lucky, and we were robbed, absolutely robbed. Played really well. Dublin is pure class,

Cureton was lively but again wasted chances. Evans looked good when he came on.

Russell was awful, just awful. Croft made a big impact too. All in all, very good performance, with better finishing we could have walked away with all three points quite easily.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Erm did you fly from Bristol?  Normally takes us about 4 1/2 hrs by car [:^)]

[/quote]

Maybe he lives down that way!

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

You ever been outside Norfolk? There''s cars, roads, houses and (believe or not) other people. But the amazing thing is that we are actually allowed to live outside the boundaries of our fine County....

I agree with you Michael, even if I was only listening to it on the radio!  Sounded like we could of won about 4-1.  Basso made three great saves plus Huckerby''s goal that makes four, also when Jamie was in the six yard box and pushed it wide, that makes 5!  We could of won this game easily. And I feel really sorry for those fans that made the treck down to Bristol.  We have to beat Burnley next week as that is one of our two winnable games left (the other being QPR).  If we lose to Burnley the next game is Ipswich which we are bouned to lose so god knows where we will be by then.

Burnley is another must win game and we need to get right behind the team.

Mind you though, Colchester was a must win game too, and look what happened then!!!!!!!   

[quote user="Michael Starr"]

Gotta say, Bristol were lucky, and we were robbed, absolutely robbed. Played really well. Dublin is pure class, Cureton was lively but again wasted chances. Evans looked good when he came on. Russell was awful, just awful. Croft made a big impact too. All in all, very good performance, with better finishing we could have walked away with all three points quite easily.

[/quote]

Just got back myself MS and agree with all of this except I didn''t think Russell was awful, just not at his best. His mid-week illness can''t have helped.

In my opinion we played better today than we did against Colchester. In the second half in particular we were pinging the ball around as confidently as we have all season and on the balance of play should have won, never mind draw. The Championship is a poor League this year but the Canaries looked like the team at the top.

I missed what happened in the build up to Bristol''s winner. It seems as though there was a handball which the ref didn''t see but one of the other officials did spot by then play had moved on an the goal stood. Judging by the antics of Glenn Roeder and Lee Clark dancing around on the touchline they must have seen it too. Despite that I thought the referee had a decent 90 minutes and tried to keep play flowing which resulted in a much better game.

Good luck to Bristol City. If they make it into the Premiership this season it''ll be two promotions in a row for them but they''ll need to spend big money if they''re not to end up not much better than Derby come next May. 

One thing they are definitely planning is a move to a new stadium in the next two or three years and this can''t come quickly enough. It''s been 30 years since my last visit here and despite what looked like a decent new( ish ) stand along the touchline to the right of the away end it didn''t look much different today. Lots of strange little white ticket offices dotted around outside the ground  and a club shop unwisely billed as a '' megastore '' set the tone as we made our way inside. In our corner many of the seats had no backs or were set at funny angles to the pitch and naturally play was obscured by at least one thick pillar wherever fans sat. Not the best ground I''ve visited and the Norwich chants of , " Premier League you''re ''aving a larf " seemed to describe Ashton Gate quite nicely.

At least the locals seemed friendly enough in The Dovecote pub in Long Ashton and some seemed as surprised as were when we went back there after the game that The Robins are top of the league again tonight. Sadly we discovered that the pub, about half a mile from Ashton Gate, serving good meals and currently being away fan friendly, will be directly opposite the new stadium when it''s finally built.

No doubt all beer will then be served in wobbly plastic cups and ''security '' will come in the shape of a pair of snarling bouncers who will gladly enforce a strict '' home fans only '' policy on the door .......

Marshall 7 - Didnt have much to do, but claimed crosses well and came off his line quickly when needed, made good decisions, nothing he could do about the goals.Bertrand 7 - Looked quality, very comfortable on the ball, excellent tracking back and closing down, got forward well and good reading of the game, very impressed with this guy.Shackel 7 - Good tackling, made some timely interventions in the second half.Pearce 7 - Again good strong tackling, his reading of the game and general open play was very good.Otsemebor 6 - Did enough, never really stood out but nothing wrong bar being caught in possession once, would have liked him to have got forward more in first half but Hucks was woeful, having said that he didnt in the second either when croft was quality.Huckerby 4 - Looked devoid of confidence and ideas, lots of misplace passes and kept getting caught in posession, did take his goal well but thats all he contributed all game, if we had another left sided out and out winger he wouldnt have continued after half time. Responsible for wasting alot of our possession in the first half.Fotheringham 7 - Quiet first half, much better second, started to dictate the play then.Pattison 8 (MOM) - Absolutely quality, got back and forward plenty, broke up the play and played the simple passes well, dominated midfield.Russel 6 - Average game, did as many good things as bad, was at fault for the first goal by backing off.Croft (on 45) 7 - Was a real handful, had good end product, lots of penetrating runs, we always looked like scoring with him on the pitch, should start in place of Huckerby next game.Dublin 6 - Never really got to grips with their number 5, didnt win much in the air, did have one header against the bar, i dont think we would have conceded the second goal with him on the pitch but i dont think we would have scored with him on it, sods law really.Cureton 5 - Was never in the game, made some good interceptions in the first half, couldnt see the 5yrder he put wide as it was the other end of pitch but contributed very little all game, i dont think he should play unless he can contribute more than this.Rigters (10 mins) - Settled in quickly when he came on, battled, made a nuissance of himself and some nice touches, shame he got injured within a few minutes, i hope its not as bad as it looked.Evans (20 mins) - Put himself about well, again some nice touches, two shots but straight at keeper, i think he should start ahead of cureton next game.

All in all came away from the game very happy, it was the most organised Norwich side I have seen since the championship winning side and they were passing the ball, despite the attrocious conditions, with real aplomb, was a joy to watch.But we lack two strikers, this is why we lost, we put cross after cross in the box but no one was there or when they were it was fluffed, I guess thats why we are 17th (as of start of play).  We should get the necessary points to put this season to bed and as long as he is given the backing to rebuild i have high hopes for us next season and beyond.Bristol City on the other hand should be very concerned, they were not in that game at all bar 10 minutes towards the end of the second half, both goals came at the end of each half, the second from a free kick (which wasnt one) being punted into the box.  I cant believe they are top if thats how they play.I''ve read on here they dont mind going up and being beaten every week, which is probably a good thing as they were worse than Derby.

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

You ever been outside Norfolk? There''s cars, roads, houses and (believe or not) other people. But the amazing thing is that we are actually allowed to live outside the boundaries of our fine County....

[/quote]

I apologise for not being a mind reader [:^)]

marshall   7   

otsemebor   5   can''t defend

pearce   7   good game. covered well for Otsemebor

shackell   6

bertrand   7

huckerby   7

fotheringham   7

Russell   5   out of sorts

pattison 6 - caught in possession and too many misplaced passes

dublin   6 - the hero worshipping has reached nausseating proportions

cureton 6

subs

croft   7

rigters 6 - nice cameo

evans 7 (4th choice behind st dion, jamie and rigters. will he want to stay?)