Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

I'd prefer they do it for us rather than Dion

What on earth is Glenn thinking of? Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Nice chap Dion. Done a good job for a couple of years and been paid very well for it. Hardly a world beater though.

Glenn wants the players to ''do it for Dion''. Do what? Escape relegation to the 3rd division for the first time in nearly 50 years - that''s what. Why? So Dion will not have to go out on a low, FFS.

FFS. People have been fired for less. Glenn''s a lucky boy he''s still in his honeymoon period.

Let me spell it out Glenn. THE PLAYERS NEED TO DO IT FOR THE FANS AND OUR BUILDERS. For the 25,000 regulars at Carrow Road. For a fan of nearly 50 years like me - or Ralfy, or Wiz, or Nutty, or Ricardo, or Ginger Pele, or Mello, or Angel, or Gazza, or Mr Carrow, or RD, or Rudy Hucker, or Yankee, or Smudger  .........................& so many, many, many  more, For Dave Stringer, for Duncan Forbes, for Kevin Keelan, for Malky Mackay.......................... & so many more. For the memories of Barry Butler, of Arthur South, of Geoffrey Watling...................for Robert Chase, John Bond, Ken Brown, Mike Walker, Ron Saunders, the late Archie Macaulay.............for local lads like Jerry Goss... for giants like Martin Peters and Martin O''Neil. Yes, even for Delia - at least her heart''s in the right place.

I suggest you print this out poster size, Glenn, and paste it on thr dressing room door with a message that you were wrong this time. Its OK, we all make mistakes.

Dion will understand - believe me.

OTBC  

With the possible exception of including my name in your list Bly, my first inclination is to say I agree with you. However, I re-read your first line and decided to give more thought to what on earth Glen may have been thinking of and give him the benefit of the doubt. The only thing that comes to mind is that he knows ( in part because he''s already stated it ) that a lot of the squad won''t be with us next season. That coupled with the fact that short-term loanees have no particular connect to the club to begin with other than perhaps to do their best to enhance their own career ( if they''re smart ). So perhaps Glen arrived at a thought that the best way to appeal to this motley crew, and squeeze what points he could out of them, was to attempt to galvanize them around a figure ( Dion ) who has commanded respect in his career, knowing that one day they would be in his position.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Nice chap Dion. Done a good job for a couple of years and been paid very well for it. Hardly a world beater though.

Glenn wants the players to ''do it for Dion''. Do what? Escape relegation to the 3rd division for the first time in nearly 50 years - that''s what. Why? So Dion will not have to go out on a low, FFS.

FFS. People have been fired for less. Glenn''s a lucky boy he''s still in his honeymoon period.

Let me spell it out Glenn. THE PLAYERS NEED TO DO IT FOR THE FANS AND OUR BUILDERS. For the 25,000 regulars at Carrow Road. For a fan of nearly 50 years like me - or Ralfy, or Wiz, or Nutty, or Ricardo, or Ginger Pele, or Mello, or Angel, or Gazza, or Mr Carrow, or RD, or Rudy Hucker, or Yankee, or Smudger  .........................& so many, many, many  more, For Dave Stringer, for Duncan Forbes, for Kevin Keelan, for Malky Mackay.......................... & so many more. For the memories of Barry Butler, of Arthur South, of Geoffrey Watling...................for Robert Chase, John Bond, Ken Brown, Mike Walker, Ron Saunders, the late Archie Macaulay.............for local lads like Jerry Goss... for giants like Martin Peters and Martin O''Neil. Yes, even for Delia - at least her heart''s in the right place.

I suggest you print this out poster size, Glenn, and paste it on thr dressing room door with a message that you were wrong this time. Its OK, we all make mistakes.

OTBC  

[/quote]

Don''t worry, we''ll bounce right back up again.

OTBC  

[/quote]

If you went to the mtg the other night you would have realised what context this was said in. It made me wanna do it for Big D.

The players were in the dressing and Glenn pointed to Dion and said...."look at him. He''s had a great career and i dont and hopefully you dont want to see him go out relegated. Lets do it for Dion!"

It made total sense to me. The players all respect him so why not use it as a motivational tool??

Talk about nit picking.

As long as they do it, they can do it for Dion, their Mums, God, Allah, the tooth fairy or their pet rabbit for all I care.

''People have been fired for less''. What??????????

Whilst in theory I agree, in practice I disagree.

Not all players are motivated by ''do it for the fans''. In my eyes, Roeder''s done a shrewd thing and told them to do it for a person that will have helped every single one of the players in some way. Yes, it''d be lovely to see a rallying cry of players, managers and directors to do it for us, and many of the players may well do that, but this type of motivation doesn''t do it for everyone.

OTBC  

[/quote]

I know what youre saying here Bly, the fans should always come first. But I think you may have misinterpreted somewhat. Roeder asking the players to perform for Dion seems reasonable enough to me. He is a leader and a workhorse and commands respect from his team mates wherever he goes. Such an inspiration to the game deserves a worthy send off. Dion would be distraught if he finished his career with relegation. Also I am sure Roeder would regard the fans as being the most important factor in all this. Its not like the players are limited to only the one source of inspiration to help raise their game. To be fair the players shouldnt need to be told anything. They should use the fans to inspire their performances regardless.

As I said at the time, Im sure Glenn trots out the ''Do it for the fans'' line frequently, im sure at half time in some of our dismal home performances.

A ''Do it for Dion'' is a one off sort of rallying call, and one where the players will have to face the person they are doing it for in the changing rooms. Would any of the loan players give a monkeys about our fans? (Rightly or wrongly)

But id like to think he does the do it for the fans routine regularly.

My first reaction was exactly the same as yours Bly. However I do think yankee makes a very valid point, and at the end of the day if that is what GR thinks will make the difference in raising performance levels then so be it. It''s one motivational tool he definitely can''t use should he need one after this season.

Did you go to the meeting BBB? if you did you''ve taken what he said completely out of context plus he made it clear what he thought of the fans too.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

As long as they do it, they can do it for Dion, their Mums, God, Allah, the tooth fairy or their pet rabbit for all I care.

[/quote]

Indeed. Glenns in the best position, if thats what he thinks will motivate the players the most then we will have to trust him.

But as someone has said, they shouldnt need bleeding motivating. But its a sad fact of modern football.

I couldn''t care less what he says if it works - and I think Roeder is in a better position to judge that than any of us. Looks like Cluck is slowly seeping back through. [:)][:)]  

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

''People have been fired for less''. What??????????

[/quote]Quite - do it, i don''t care who for.I imagine that Glenn includes fans in that as standard. funnily enough who is more of an icon of respect to the players? Dion - the guy whose helped them out and carried the team at times in the last two seasons, or the fans? who constantly verbally batter the players.must be hard times when we are arguing over who to stay in the championship for...

[/quote]

Maggie thatcher! Maggie thatcher! can you hear me.... Your boys took a hell of a beating!

jas :)

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

He said it.

He was wrong.

And you know it.

And as for Corporal Jones...................!

Context?! Read the report!

Do it for Dion - Roeder

DAVID CUFFLEY, EVENING NEWS SPORT

Veteran striker Dion Dublin must not have the end his football career tarnished by relegation, City fans were told last night.

Manager Glenn Roeder insisted the Canaries, just three points clear of the bottom three in the Coca-Cola Championship after one win in eight matches, would not be taking the plunge into League One.

And he said he had told his players they could not allow Dublin, 39 next month, to leave the professional game on such a low note.

He said: “It''s so important that we get this job done. I said to them today - we had a meeting for about an hour today in the dressing room - and I said ''Lads, six weeks ago it was like we picked up a great big hand of sand off the beach and you''re starting to let the sand slip through your fingers. And we''ve got to close our fingers again quick here. Surely to God, after what we''ve come through together, we''re not going to do anything daft now'', which we''re not.”

The message was clear - do it for Dion.

Said Roeder: “I said to them ''Look at him sitting there, he''s 38 years old, he''s had a fantastic career, his career is over in six weeks'' time. We are not as a group of players and a staff going to let him leave the game . . . I don''t even want to talk about it. You know where I''m coming from. We''re not going to let that happen to Dion.”

Excuses!

OTBC

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

He said it.

He was wrong.

And you know it.

[/quote]

Nope, with all the valid reasons here I think its fine.

But then im not a football manager, so wouldnt claim to know the first think about what it takes to motivate a football team.

So, to put it succinctly:

The players are going to ensure that Norwich City avoid relegation to the Third Division for the first time in nearly 50 years for Dion''s sake.

Well let''s see.

Sounds like a rather deperate manager to me.

What next?[^o)]

OTBC

The players are going to ensure that Norwich City avoid relegation to the Third Division for the first time in nearly 50 years

[/quote]

Or to put it factually the first time in 6 & 9 any way up nd  69 years [*-)][:''(]

The players are going to ensure that Norwich City avoid relegation to the Third Division for the first time in nearly 50 years for Dion''s sake.

Well let''s see.

What next?[^o)]

OTBC

[/quote]

Along with I assume rallying calls throughout the season along the lines of ''do it for the fans'', ''look at all the fans who have turned up'' etc. Im not in the dressing room, I wouldnt know. But I highly doubt the whole basis of Roeders team talks are solely based around Dion.

Well let''s see.

What next?[^o)]

OTBC

[/quote]

For Cluck''s sake - you just won''t let it lie will you. Lol! [:D]  

[/quote]

I think thats the point though. How many of the players have heard of Dave Stringer? How many have heard of Barry Butler? Jerry Goss? etc. And if they have heard of them, will they have met them? Ever had a personal impact on them? etc. If the captain for my cricket team, who ive only played for a couple of years, said to me we should win the league for one of the vice-presidents who id never even heard of that wouldnt do much for me at all.

The above sort of speech might work for the likes of Iwan, Flem, Fleck. I.e. Long standing servants of the club who will go down as legends. But will it work for players who have been here five minutes, and will be gone five minutes later? Other than Hucks, Shacks, and Drury which players have been here for longer than three years? (There may be more, they are just off the top of my head). Football isnt about loyalty anymore, its a sad fact and a big reason why football has slid behind other sports for me personally, but its mainly true nonetheless.

At the end of the day the only true measure of Roeders motivational skills is the changing room. And unless anyone here is a player in disguise we have no idea how good he is at motivating players.

You gave your reasons against him, other people have given their reasons in favour of him. Neither are informed enough to be considered right.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

The players are going to ensure that Norwich City avoid relegation to the Third Division for the first time in nearly 50 years

[/quote]

Or to put it factually the first time in 6 & 9 any way up nd  69 years [*-)][:''(]

[/quote]

? o ?

Have you flipped, nutty? Or slipped on your marbles? One must be factual.

The only person giving a 6 for a 9 is...........well, let''s leave that fot the timebeing.......or are you talking about the reverse of the missionary position?[:)]

I think it''s so ''funny'' how everyone is suddenly so coy, so uncritical and is it ''embarassed''(?) about the source of Glenn''s inspiration.

Any port in a storm, I suppose.

C''mon City, let''s do it for Dion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[:''(][:''(][:''(]

[:$]

Now after 3, all together now......

OTBD.....OTBD....OTBD

[:S]

The only person giving a 6 for a 9 is...........well, let''s leave that fot the timebeing.......or are you talking about the reverse of the missionary position?[:)]

I think it''s so ''funny'' how everyone is suddenly so coy, so uncritical and is it ''embarassed''(?) about the source of Glenn''s inspiration.

OTBD.....OTBD....OTBD

[/quote]

I flipped a long time ago Bly, I long since lost my marbles but I''m not crazy - I''m just a little unwell [*-)][8-)]

1938-39 season Bly. That was the last time we were relegated to the Third Division. 69 years ago to be precise and accurate. I wonder what Team Manager and Trainer Mr. R. Young had to say as we entered that last game of the last season before war broke out. May 6th 1939 to be even more precise and accurate. As they stood before him, ready for battle in their yellow and green halved shirts, black knickers and green stockings with that yellow band, did he make a topical Churchill type speech as they prepared for that final game at home to Forest? Something like : -

We must not underrate the gravity of the task which lies before us or the temerity of the ordeal ahead. We shall fight in the midfield, we shall fight on the wings, we shall fight in defence and in attack; we shall never surrender, we are City ''til we die. So go out there and do it for Russell J. Colman Esq. and E. H. Barclay, Esq. Do it for J. F. Wright and R. G. Pilch. Do it for our City and our County, do it for the fans of the past, present and future especially the young babes throwing toys out of the pram. [:''(]

If he did it didn''t work. We beat Forest 1-0 but it wasn''t enough so we stayed below them on goal average. I could be wrong but I think 4-0 could have kept us up. So maybe Mr. R. Young didn''t make that speech, maybe he just said : -

Do it for William Isaac Furness.

Happy Holidays [B][<:o)]

OTBWIF

"I am speaking to you from the boardroom of Carrow Road I have asked along with my cabinet (the 6 draw one) for Herr Young to withdraw his players from the relegation zone at this given hour . I must tell you now that no such undertaking has been  given and therefore this club is relegated. God save the King .

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBD.....OTBD....OTBD

[/quote]

I flipped a long time ago Bly, I long since lost my marbles but I''m not crazy - I''m just a little unwell [*-)][8-)]

1938-39 season Bly. That was the last time we were relegated to the Third Division. 69 years ago to be precise and accurate. I wonder what Team Manager and Trainer Mr. R. Young had to say as we entered that last game of the last season before war broke out. May 6th 1939 to be even more precise and accurate. As they stood before him, ready for battle in their yellow and green halved shirts, black knickers and green stockings with that yellow band, did he make a topical Churchill type speech as they prepared for that final game at home to Forest? Something like : -

We must not underrate the gravity of the task which lies before us or the temerity of the ordeal ahead. We shall fight in the midfield, we shall fight on the wings, we shall fight in defence and in attack; we shall never surrender, we are City ''til we die. So go out there and do it for Russell J. Colman Esq. and E. H. Barclay, Esq. Do it for J. F. Wright and R. G. Pilch. Do it for our City and our County, do it for the fans of the past, present and future especially the young babes throwing toys out of the pram. [:''(]

If he did it didn''t work. We beat Forest 1-0 but it wasn''t enough so we stayed below them on goal average. I could be wrong but I think 4-0 could have kept us up. So maybe Mr. R. Young didn''t make that speech, maybe he just said : -

Do it for William Isaac Furness.

Happy Holidays [B][<:o)]

OTBWIF

[/quote]

1938-39.

More like Neville Chamberlain''s time than Churchill''s.

''Fraid you''ll have to try again.

But letr''s hope we''ll all still be in a jolly mood after tomorrow.

At least we''ll have an idea what they think of Dion, I suppose.

OTBC