Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

"Fans" who predict Norwich will lose today...

Have a look at yourselves.

We are at home to the bottom club in the league – a club with serious injury problems – and the game could well determine, or go a very long way to determining – the atmosphere for the remainder of the season. I simply cannot believe the number of people posting to say they think Norwich City will lose today.

What is the matter with you? I fully expect some of you don’t get out of bed in the morning on the grounds that if you do, something bad might happen.

Yes, I understand freedom of speech, the right to say what one thinks etc. etc., and I’m using mine to ask you to stop moaning and bringing the place down, and instead to raise your voices in support of Norwich this afternoon.

This game is massive. Please, for once, try getting behind the team you claim to support. And, in the unlikely – and it is unlikely – event of the result not going our way today, understand that any "told you so" posts will only underscore the most phyrric of victories.

It is perfectly possible to want desperately for City to win, and yet to take off the rose tinted spectacles and analyse as objectively as possible.We have a (recent?) history of doing well against teams at the top and wilting under the physicality and commitment of teams below us. Just two weeks ago or so, we got a point againmst Watford, last week we made little headway against a very ordinary Sheffield side.I think that it will not be a footballing occasion to day, but a battle between desperate teams fighting for their "lives". I would like to think that we could turn on a football display and beat the Us by three goals, but I honestly can''t see this. Our team have to be strong and committed, and I think that if the defence can maintain concentration we shall limit Colchester to no more than one goal. The question is whether I can honestly see us scoriong more than one. The sad answer is that as the lowest scoring team in the division, I cannot see it, especially against a team that will fight and not give up.Of course Rigters could just come on and convert some chances, or Curo find his touch, or Ched hit another blockbuster. In statistical terms, however much I wish it, each seems unlikely.We are not wishing the team bad, and the heart remains optimistic. But the head says.....

Colchester away form:W3 D7 L9 F23 A32Norwich home form:W7 D6 L6 F19 A19It''s not a done deal, but you don''t need rose-tinted glasses to see we should be favourites today.

[quote user="James Maloney"]Colchester away form:W3 D7 L9 F23 A32Norwich home form:W7 D6 L6 F19 A19It''s not a done deal, but you don''t need rose-tinted glasses to see we should be favourites today.[/quote]Colchester have scored more goals away than we have at home....? Tells it''s own story!

Totally agree Mr Chops could not see how people were having us down as being losers, when even with our poor form we were clearly favourites. Some may wear rose tinted spectacles but i feel like some supporters sit behind a ''magic'' telescope of doom!

[quote user="king canary"]

Totally agree Mr Chops could not see how people were having us down as being losers, when even with our poor form we were clearly favourites. Some may wear rose tinted spectacles but i feel like some supporters sit behind a ''magic'' telescope of doom!

[/quote]

Ever heard of freedom of speech?  Perhaps Mister Chops has a belief that thinking we''ll lose will make us lose.  He''s way off target, and I hope yesterday''s result will put that myth to bed once and for all. 

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="king canary"]

[/quote]

Ever heard of freedom of speech?  Perhaps Mister Chops has a belief that thinking we''ll lose will make us lose.  He''s way off target, and I hope yesterday''s result will put that myth to bed once and for all. 

[/quote]

Freedom of speech - freedom to not support your team and suggest we might lose a potentially critical game against the league''s bottom club - yes, that''s worth doing.  But thanks for having a guess at what my motives might have been.  You''re wrong, by the way.  I just get tired of "fans" putting the team down all the time, particularly when support and encouragement is needed.

Surely theres a difference between thinking we will lose and wanting us to lose? Are people who think we will lose away at bristol city negative and bringing a lack of support to the team? I think we will lose, but ill be supporting us as much as always.

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Surely theres a difference between thinking we will lose and wanting us to lose? Are people who think we will lose away at bristol city negative and bringing a lack of support to the team? I think we will lose, but ill be supporting us as much as always.[/quote]

Well, that rather depends on whether you think Bristol City away is a comparable fixture to Colchester United at home.  I''d be happy with a point from the next game.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="king canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Freedom of speech - freedom to not support your team and suggest we might lose a potentially critical game against the league''s bottom club - yes, that''s worth doing.  But thanks for having a guess at what my motives might have been.  You''re wrong, by the way.  I just get tired of "fans" putting the team down all the time, particularly when support and encouragement is needed.

[/quote]

Point taken.  But you''d already expressed your irritation on another thread, was it really worth starting another one?  Freedom of speech I suppose . . .

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="king canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Point taken.  But you''d already expressed your irritation on another thread, was it really worth starting another one?  Freedom of speech I suppose . . .

[/quote]

Freedom of speech... the magic of the internet... the wonder of the communication age... the miracle of wireless technology... - so many reasons.  So many reasons.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Surely theres a difference between thinking we will lose and wanting us to lose? Are people who think we will lose away at bristol city negative and bringing a lack of support to the team? I think we will lose, but ill be supporting us as much as always.[/quote]

Well, that rather depends on whether you think Bristol City away is a comparable fixture to Colchester United at home.  I''d be happy with a point from the next game.

[/quote]

Yeah but theres no such thing as a must win game. Unless your telling me we were 100% certain to be Colchester then of course there will be people who may think we will draw or lose. Given our run of form it wouldnt have surprised me, even though I was incredibly confident of a home win.

[quote user="Salopian"]We have a (recent?) history of doing well against teams at the top and wilting under the physicality and commitment of teams below us. Just two weeks ago or so, we got a point againmst Watford, last week we made little headway against a very ordinary Sheffield side.[/quote]I disagree completely about Sheffield United - when i saw their team sheet i thought we were going to be in for a tanking. They may not have completely gelled under Robson (what team ever has?) but they have some season pro''s in there, nearly all with prem experience, and Blackwell has even got Billy Sharpe to rediscover where the net is. I think they''re a good outside bet for that final 6th spot.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

Yeah but theres no such thing as a must win game. Unless your telling me we were 100% certain to be Colchester then of course there will be people who may think we will draw or lose. Given our run of form it wouldnt have surprised me, even though I was incredibly confident of a home win.

[/quote]

I think you mean there''s no such thing as a guaranteed win.  This is true, but you can''t tell me that Colchester at home is as difficult a game as Bristol City away.  Are you telling me we shouldn''t have been favourites against Colchester?

Yeah thats what I meant, cheers for clearing it up.

Yeah of course im saying we were more likely to beat Colly at home than we are to beat Bristol City away. To reflect this there will be a small minority who might we will not beat Colly, whereas there will be a large majority who think we wont be Bristol City. As I said it was not guaranteed that we would beat Colly, and if some of our fans thought that we wouldnt then so be it. Can be argued they are negative, id say pessimistic. The bookies had us as favourites, but not huge favourites. So theres bound to be a few people who thought we wouldnt win, as long as thats what they genuinely thought rather than some hope we will lose just to prove a point. I remember us losing to Watford at home in our playoff year when we had a 100% home record and they were rock bottom, it happens.

But anyway. We won, thats all that matters [:)]