Sign in to follow this  
Huddy

How can Andy Gray defend Mascherano?

Andy Gray is turning into the biggest muppet on TV, he constantly talks garbage and now hes defending back chat to referees.

There supposed to be thisd crackdown on respect at thew moment, and on national TV Mr Gray trys to defend it, it''s laughable. Mascherano had to go, he''d committed about 5 fouls, he was constantly on the refs back all through the game, and deservedly got dismissed. Just because Mr Bennet isnt the best referee, it doesnt mean that Andy Gray can use that to defend Mascerano. He''s ran 20 yards to interefere, when he was surely already on his last warning. The only criticism of Bennet in that incident, is that it was Torres'' first offence.

Mascernao had to go.

Andy Gray - Idiot!

It''s interesting that people in the game keep talking about giving the referee more respect and not questioning or abusing him so much, and yet when a prima facie case of referee harrassment results in a booking (and therefore a sending off), the same people in the media who have talked up the issue suddenly decide the card was unnecessary - it''s just complete hypocrisy.

As someone who has to rely on lip reading, I can tell you that the ref had no choice but to send him off, it was disgraceful language to say to an official, you just can''t do that these days.

because andy gray epitomises what is wrong with the game today. an ex player saying the refs are to blame well andy gray is an idiot, he slags refs off every chance he gets. he is a d**khead.

the ref was right and its about time an official did this for someone arguing.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]As someone who has to rely on lip reading, I can tell you that the ref had no choice but to send him off, it was disgraceful language to say to an official, you just can''t do that these days.[/quote]

You lip read something different to me. I thought he said "whats happening?"

I do think more respect needs to be given to the refs but the day you cant talk to the ref is a sad day. The best refs are the ones that talk to you and give you reasons.

Well he had been back chatting the ref and had no reason to sprint 20 yards to get involved. Alan Greene and Mark Lawrenson on 5 live were awful as well, kept getting on Benetts back even though i thought he did a good job.

[quote user="HUDDY "]

Andy Gray is turning into the biggest muppet on TV, he constantly talks garbage and now hes defending back chat to referees.

There supposed to be thisd crackdown on respect at thew moment, and on national TV Mr Gray trys to defend it, it''s laughable. Mascherano had to go, he''d committed about 5 fouls, he was constantly on the refs back all through the game, and deservedly got dismissed. Just because Mr Bennet isnt the best referee, it doesnt mean that Andy Gray can use that to defend Mascerano. He''s ran 20 yards to interefere, when he was surely already on his last warning. The only criticism of Bennet in that incident, is that it was Torres'' first offence.

Mascernao had to go.

Andy Gray - Idiot!

[/quote]

Yeah that Stephen Bennet has always been a really good ref right? Er no he''s actually always been a right t**ser. Mascherano was an idiot to have any discussion with him after being booked agreed, but he didn''t deserve to get booked for the first tackle and Torres didn''t deserve to get booked either. This was nowhere in the league of past confrontations of Refs en masse by Man U, Arsenal etc, and if Mascherano deserved to be sent off then Ashley Cole deserved to be sent off  for the tackle and back turning the other day. Which equals no consistency, knee jerk reactions etc. Referees, always the last ones to be picked to play shirts or skins during games at school, left with a lifetime of bitterness and "please take notice of me" attitude.

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="HUDDY "]

Mascernao had to go.

Andy Gray - Idiot!

[/quote]

Yeah that Stephen Bennet has always been a really good ref right? Er no he''s actually always been a right t**ser. Mascherano was an idiot to have any discussion with him after being booked agreed, but he didn''t deserve to get booked for the first tackle and Torres didn''t deserve to get booked either. This was nowhere in the league of past confrontations of Refs en masse by Man U, Arsenal etc, and if Mascherano deserved to be sent off then Ashley Cole deserved to be sent off  for the tackle and back turning the other day. Which equals no consistency, knee jerk reactions etc. Referees, always the last ones to be picked to play shirts or skins during games at school, left with a lifetime of bitterness and "please take notice of me" attitude.

[/quote]So far as I am concerned the only thing that the ref did wrong was not to send him off sooner! The first challenge was late and he got none of the ball - sorry but that is a yellow card offence, it is then up to the referee to let him off or follow the letter of the law.However having watched match of the day Mascherano told the referee to "f" off on several occaisions. I have nearly been booked before now when playing at higher levels than I currently do, for calling my own team mate a "t*ss*r!". If you say the f word you go - end of story. You f and blind in public you can be repremanded by the law - possibly even charged. Why should footballers who know they are televised and being watched by the world get away with it? I am sorry - there is no excuse what-so-ever for this kind of attitude or behaviour. In my opinion the FA are clamping down on it at the higher levels much too late. It should have been done years ago.

FAO Barclay_Boy,

That post quite frankly is utter rubbish.. Steve Bennet is one of the best referees we have at the moment. Maschreno didn''t deserve that yellow card?! so he goes sliding in at pace with both feet and scholes nicks it away from him and hence mascerano completely misses the ball, its one of the most dead-certain yellow cards your''e ever see...As for the Torres booking, yes it may have been a tad harsh but it doesnt give mascherano an excuse to run 20 yards like a bulldog to make his point, his team-mate alonso showed exactly what to do and even tried to restrain him, he lost his head, simple as...Previously to this he had had 2 or 3 ''mis-timed tackles'' and 2 or 3 more nibbles at the ref when he knew he was on a yellow-card, you simplu can''t do this

And lastly you clearly have a thing against ref''s (who admittely are nobodys best friends on the pitch whether playing or watching) but to say they''re left ''with a lifetime of bitterness'' is quite funny to be hones...and just for the record, one of the best players we had way back when during my time at school is now a ref, and surely after being school captain, he didnt turn to be a ref to get a ''please take a notice of me'' attitude :)

[quote user="The Lord"]

FAO Barclay_Boy,

That post quite frankly is utter rubbish.. Steve Bennet is one of the best referees we have at the moment. Maschreno didn''t deserve that yellow card?! so he goes sliding in at pace with both feet and scholes nicks it away from him and hence mascerano completely misses the ball, its one of the most dead-certain yellow cards your''e ever see...As for the Torres booking, yes it may have been a tad harsh but it doesnt give mascherano an excuse to run 20 yards like a bulldog to make his point, his team-mate alonso showed exactly what to do and even tried to restrain him, he lost his head, simple as...Previously to this he had had 2 or 3 ''mis-timed tackles'' and 2 or 3 more nibbles at the ref when he knew he was on a yellow-card, you simplu can''t do this

And lastly you clearly have a thing against ref''s (who admittely are nobodys best friends on the pitch whether playing or watching) but to say they''re left ''with a lifetime of bitterness'' is quite funny to be hones...and just for the record, one of the best players we had way back when during my time at school is now a ref, and surely after being school captain, he didnt turn to be a ref to get a ''please take a notice of me'' attitude :)

[/quote]

Sorry it''s not up to the standard you expect, I will try harder next time. The best refs are the one''s whose name you cannot remember, because they stay in the background, let the game flow and remain low key. Not exactly Steve Bennet. There are so many cards being flashed around at present that football is well on the way to becoming non contact. There is also no consistency, witness some appalling decisions in several of the Prem games over the weekend. I know a couple of Ref''s, two of the most pedantic and fussy individuals going. I would far rather be sharing a pint with Andy Gray than Bennet as he has 10 times more knowledge of the game.

Agreed HUDDY (never thought I''d write that).

Yes, it did in a sense, ruin the match, as United dominated after that, and the win was never in doubt. But, he had to go. I don''t care if he said nothing wrong. He ran 20 yards to get involved in something that had nothing to do with him. If he hadn''t of got sent off, I''d like to think that Benitez would drop him for it, he did it so many times, but I doubt it''d happen. Like the whole Cole saga, too many managers have lost their backbone and bow down to over-played and over-rated players.

BarclayBoy

Firstly i never claimed that Bennet was a brilliant referee.

However, this doesnt give players an excuse to behave badly, which in  a way you seem to be suggesting and also it''s pointless comparing it to the Ashly Cole thing, the fact is bennet got it right, whether the ref was wrong (which he probably was) not to send of cole doesnt matter two hoots!!!!

Andy Gray is a T*t! he was entertaining to listen to 14 years a go but loves the sound of his own voice too much now..

Sky have held onto him for far too long and maybe fresh blood is needed.

jas :)

Well Mr Gray was accused by a small group of liverpool fans for being anti liverpool. some petition was sent to sky saying they didnt want him to commentate liverpools games and now... well yeah. must be Andy trying to get back in their good books.

My problem is with the consistency of it all

If you truly want players to behave in a certain manner then the punishment for ALL transgressions must be consistent and consistently applied.

If the FA were to be consistent then Mascherano should serve his one-match ban and then they would articulate quite clearly the rules/code of conduct and punishments prior to next season rather than letting one thing happen on Wednesday and something quite the opposite four days later.