Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Dennis Wise

No i''m not suggesting we sign him, i''m suggesting we use him as an example not to sign half the players who are being suggested on this board. Players like Sheringham, Dublin and lots more. These players are going to be no good to us, I would have a look at them if we were still in div 1 but for the Premier League, no way!

Dennis Wise is a perfect example playing today against Man U. All he did all game was run around fouling people and sorry for saying this, much like Iwan did during points of last season. There is nothing wrong with signing experienced players with quality but not players who are well past their sell-by-date.

I do agree with you Saint Canary. But to be fair when threads like Dublin and Sheringham are started, there aren''t many people who reply saying they would be good signings. Agree though that we don''t want players who are past it

Ok i''ll admit Wise is over the top as far as fouling and aggression go but I don''t think there is much of a difference in the comparison that these players are past their best. "Iwan using his presence"??? He was fouling and backing into people because he wasn''t as good as he once was.

The behaviour of Dennis Wise today, was an absolute disgrace. He wasn''t exactly the model professional was he?!. I watched the game as a neutral, and considering he is player-manager and should have lead by example? his uncontrolled aggression and juvenile pettiness was inexcusable!. Millwall FC, I will admit, aren''t everyones cup of tea, but their reputation and their fans have vastly improved in the 20 odd years since I first encountered them. They gave a very good account of themselves today, against a quality Man Utd side and therefore should be proud of their display and effort.

Yes, Iwan''s presence can be interpreted as persistent fouling, but it isn''t half as bad as nipping, or smothering the oppositions face with your hand! or leaving your ''mark'' with the studs or blades of your boots!. Call it gamesmanship if you like, but I prefer to call it cynical and dirty tactics. He is a supposedly a "Wise" old Pro, and he got off very lightly today with the ref, and even Lineker & Co were unimpressed by his over the top antics. He has had a long successful and on occasions a chequered career, so does he really have to resort to those kind of tactics?. There was a couple of youngsters in their squad today, what kind of example does that set to them?. He couldn''t hack it today out there, it''s about time he concentrated on managing....? his football club.

Wise was always a bit of a headbanger , but , now, well , does he need a shrinks help ?

Bit of a contraversial opinion but I feel a bit contraversial today. Yes Wise was the following juvenile he always is, but isn''t that why people said Millwall had a better chance of beating United than Sunderland. Millwall would never have beaten united playing what we in East Anglia term football. There best chance was to play a hard niggly game and for the first half an hour it worked. Ultimately they were outclassed but the way wise played was their best chance. Having said that I would never like to see it at FCR. As for using Wise as an example of who not top buy due to aging it seems like a tenuous suggestion. He isn''t playing like that because he was old. Its how he has always played. The usual pundits who moan about players being to soft and how it was better in there day with Bremner and Harris etc. are now sitting on the other side of the fence by making an example of wise. When is anybody going to make their mind up.

Incidently did anyone count the stepovers by Ronaldo today. I had a little sweepstake with my mates (I plummed for 21), but I lost count by half time????

I have a nickname for Wise that sums him up nicely...it is simply ''UN''! Insert in front of surname and you have it. He and Muscat deserve each other...in perpetuity!

How did he get away with the marking on scholes at the corner Man utd got he was all over him

It is going to be interesting seeing millwall in the Uefa cup I think they might just surprise a few people and get through a few rounds just by kicking there way through

Steve White, yes Wise has always run around kicking and fouling people but at his best he was a good footballer aswell. My point is, he shew no footballing skills at all yesterday and could have been sent off 3 times at least. His footballing skills were no longer there and all that you were left with was a one-time England player, running around and ONLY fouling people and back to my original point this is why we don''t want to bring these sort of players here because they are finished in the Premier League.